Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

parthenocarpy posted:

I just want like six solid pages of console using roguelike players talking about console only roguelikes but we'll invariably get back to weird anime poo poo or puzzle games again

Bought the retail Dwarf Fortress finally, messed around a bit, and turned on console mode. Oh My God. The respect I have for anyone who navigated this glyphically trashed mass of multicolored ascii is higher than neonatal nurses. This game was made AFTER The Matrix, right?

You get used to it. I don't even see the ASCII anymore. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Anyone given brutal orchestra a shot? I bought it on a whim and it's pretty weird looking, but it's fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo why did I sleep on Brogue for so long, this game is legit and also stylish as gently caress. I aspire to make tty games that look this good. (Yes, I know it's not actually running in the tty (:argh:), but almost everything it does is possible in the tty.)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Brogue is a masterpiece and deserves a lot more recognition for its dungeon-generation systems.

To keep the conversation on traditional roguelikes a bit longer, I've been playing Demon again. If you haven't played Demon, go do that immediately; this game is a masterpiece.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Lost Flame had a big update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/856570/view/3680051934791558742 Full log is on the gigantic side

quote:

This is another big update containing changes from the past 3 months of work and I can imagine in 2 or 3 such updates the game will reach 1.0 state (so somewhere between december and march).

Graphical overhaul
The update introduces smoother "animations" for characters moving and attacking, monsters gibbing into pieces when killed and on-screen status and damage indicators.

You can also find elements of the UI updated:

Semi-permadeath mode
The update introduces new optional semi-permadeath mode, which is explained in the new tutorial. When running the game for the first time it will be started in this mode.
In short: dying will reload the game to the last pyre that you've found (losing all progress since then) and get your character debuffed with more and more curses (which can be removed with some items). At some point you will get 'doomed' debuff, and if you die before removing it the game will be over.
This usually gives 2-3 additional chances, before the number of curses gets too overwhelming (although it's possible with some builds to survive more deaths).
This also replaces the previous difficulty level system - now the game is always played on former "normal" difficulty.

Mouse control QoL
This update introduces several improvements for mouse control, including things such as better inventory management, "smart" skill usage, better character control. You can find the details below:
added 'smart skills' when using mouse. When clicking an enemy that is 1 tile away your character will use the 'lunge' skill if it's available. If clicking an enemy that is 1 tile away and lunge is not available 'stab' will be used. When clicking behind a nearby enemy 'jump over' will be used if available. I plan to expand it with more skills in the future
double clicking or right clicking an item in inventory will cause a default action to happen depending on item type (equip/unequip/use)
when using mouse to walk around if any of allies stand in your way you will swap places with them instead of being stopped
you can use mouse wheel to browse through your skills
sped up the camera when using mouse controls
hovering mouse on doors, chest or enemy, will properly mark the tile visually
waiting using mouse (by clicking on your character) will rest until stamina is restored

Crimson pyre rework/Curse system
Crimson pyre event is completely reworked. Now carrying cursed items for a longer time will result in the player getting cursed. Curses are various effect which usually debuff the player's character. At some point if the player does not address those curses they will get doomed. Getting doomed makes all of the equipment cursed. The player will no longer be forced into Neith when doomed, however if whole equipment is cursed, the player will be given the option to travel to Neith through a pyre.
There are some ways to remove those curses and doomed debuff - either use blessed scrolls of remove curse, which remove one of such curses, or travel to Neith where blight eaters can be found. Blight eaters are unusual type of shades - they uncurse your equipment and killing them removes one of the curses from the player.

Abysm tunnels and new locations
The update introduces two small locations.
with a unique monster which built its nest around a blood-soaked scoria and absorbed some if its time controlling power.

which introduces a campfire in a very remote location and an NPC offering a new way to trade with the player

The update also introduces a number of tunnels all over the Hiraeth. The tunnels are getting spread by the Abysm to reach something.. And you can use them to do some shortcutting between distant areas. One of such tunnels can be found before Tower of Mirth. Be aware that the tunnels are pretty dangerous!

Hurt boss tiles
All bosses received additional tiles showing them getting more and more hurt.

New ending
The update introduces new way to end the game - now you can..

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy poo poo why did I sleep on Brogue for so long, this game is legit and also stylish as gently caress. I aspire to make tty games that look this good. (Yes, I know it's not actually running in the tty (:argh:), but almost everything it does is possible in the tty.)

Speaking of stylish, what are the best looking ascii or tile-based roguelikes?

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

There is, or at least used to be, a command line arg you can pass to run it in the terminal. I used to play it this way for a long time! It looked brilliant there too, although I believe I had to disable some color effects for lighting, which was just a single keystroke.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Unexplored is real-time brogue, so check that out next!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i still wanna know why the dungeon is covered in piss

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anyone have opinions on Dungeon Drafters? I had a decent enough time with the demo but the release seems mixed.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

baram. fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 29, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Your Computer posted:

i still wanna know why the dungeon is covered in piss

do you see any bathrooms in that dungeon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

I love Caves of Qud's art style. It's somewhere in between ASCII and actual graphics, it's very stylish and very readable at the same time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think I've had enough of both and we can do something else now. Anything else.

every time i see an interesting looking game, start reading the description or watching gameplay and then get to the part where I have to go "oh, it's cards again", a little part of me dies

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

GrandpaPants posted:

Anyone have opinions on Dungeon Drafters? I had a decent enough time with the demo but the release seems mixed.

I enjoyed it but it isn't a roguelike, it's more of a spiritual successor to the Pokemon TCG on gameboy with dungeon crawling added in. I liked it but have been waiting for the announced 1.1 patch, which... they haven't actually said anything about for quite awhile.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Didn't this thread actually have "traditional" in the title? What happened?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arpanets posted:

There is, or at least used to be, a command line arg you can pass to run it in the terminal. I used to play it this way for a long time! It looked brilliant there too, although I believe I had to disable some color effects for lighting, which was just a single keystroke.
If so, it doesn't show up in brogue --help or in strings bin/brogue. And unsetting DISPLAY and WAYLAND_DISPLAY just makes it hang.

Note that I'm playing Brogue CE, not the (old) "official" version.

E: think I found it, it's a compile-time setting that defaults to off for some reason?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

I mean I was just talking about Brogue

Apart from that, I'd put Caves of Qud in a close second place. Maybe Cogmind in third? It's completely unreadable to me but it does look pretty and have a very distinct style.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

If so, it doesn't show up in brogue --help or in strings bin/brogue. And unsetting DISPLAY and WAYLAND_DISPLAY just makes it hang.

Note that I'm playing Brogue CE, not the (old) "official" version.

E: think I found it, it's a compile-time setting that defaults to off for some reason?

Ah yeah, they must have changed that default in the CE. Old binaries used to have support for it, off the shelf.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ToxicFrog posted:

Apart from that, I'd put Caves of Qud in a close second place. Maybe Cogmind in third? It's completely unreadable to me but it does look pretty and have a very distinct style.

Yeah, Brogue looks fantastic, even the water tiles look great. Qud has this old monitor glow aesthetic, just awesome.

Was just wondering if I missed any other roguelikes that do a lot using very little in term of visuals.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cock hero flux posted:

every time i see an interesting looking game, start reading the description or watching gameplay and then get to the part where I have to go "oh, it's cards again", a little part of me dies
same, which is a shame; i almost skipped on Shogun Showdown as a result because it has "deck-building elements" in the description. as it turned out a) that description is really tenuous, at least from what i saw in the demo; and b) the game's a lot of fun, unlike deckbuilders :mrgw:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 30, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

cogmind gets credit for giving me a splitting headache no matter which font size or type I use

brogue is the best looking ASCII art

qud is the most atmospheric lofi aesthetic by several orders of magnitude

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EightFlyingCars posted:

do you see any bathrooms in that dungeon

if that's the argument then either brogue should have less piss or all other roguelikes should have MORE piss there is no middle way :colbert:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 30, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Question to those who have issues with cogmind's gfx: how big is your monitor, physically? Does it sit far away from you? I have a 27" that sits between a foot (if I'm reading w/o glasses) to a meter away (leaning back using a controller), and cogmind has never been a problem, I actually enjoy the information density while still being pretty.

edit: I play the game windowed mostly, so it's not even using the entire screen.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

cock hero flux posted:

Literally me. I've been pretty over deckbuilders for a good while. I snagged Griftlands and it was a hard miss for me, too, despite the lovely art style. I knew exactly what I was signing up for, but for some reason I just hate myself.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I like cards :)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
For those that don't know, thread Poster Megane is the artist behind all of Caves of Qud's tile work.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I like to imagine megane casually dumping out whatever crazy idea crosses their mind and Unormal and co sighing and having to code that poo poo into the game.

Speaking thereof, rockboot cheevos when?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Your Computer posted:

if that's the argument then either brogue should have less piss or all other roguelikes should have MORE piss there is no middle way :colbert:

pleasingfungus if you read this thread you know what you have to add to crawl

we need another hell branch. we need Piss Hell

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Caves of Qud is gorgeous, one of the prettiest games I've played. Good job megane. :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I play ToME in ascii mode lol

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

EightFlyingCars posted:

pleasingfungus if you read this thread you know what you have to add to crawl

we need another hell branch. we need Piss Hell

Porcelain City of Pis

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Question to those who have issues with cogmind's gfx: how big is your monitor, physically? Does it sit far away from you? I have a 27" that sits between a foot (if I'm reading w/o glasses) to a meter away (leaning back using a controller), and cogmind has never been a problem, I actually enjoy the information density while still being pretty.

edit: I play the game windowed mostly, so it's not even using the entire screen.

15" laptop screen here.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A stealthy one in the cursed match-3 niche trying to incorporate The Elements: Dungeons & Jewels, fresh off a giant update

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2323980/Dungeons__Jewels/

quote:

Dungeons & Jewels is a tile-matching roguelike inspired by classic PC puzzle games, such as Puzzle Quest and Bejeweled - in the style of modern roguelikes such as Slay the Spire.

Delve deeper into the dungeon. Become stronger - unlock powerful spells and gamechanging relics, with every run offering a variety of build options and synergy potential. Fight monsters and use your abilities by matching tiles, chaining combos, and solving puzzles.

12 Dungeon Branches, 90+ Enemies: Featuring a wide variety of puzzles and challenges.
80+ Spells and Relics to find/unlock: Customize your loadout, and become stronger.

4 Playable Characters: Offering different gameplay, unlocks, and difficulty options.

Short 20-30 min runs, High Replayability: Every run contains new treasures, and different colors of enemies and spells!
Endless Mode: if you're looking for a long one, Endless Mode offers infinite escalating and combined challenges.
Online Leaderboards: Show off your runs, and compete for the best scores online.
Practice Mode: Choose your favorite branch or encounter to replay, to optimize your strategies or just for fun.
Steam Achievements, Cloud Saves: Strive for completion, to earn the title of Greater Player.

The free content expansion for Dungeons & Jewels is now live!

Features:
5 new Branches with many new mechanics, challenges, and enemies.
New endgame final boss fight.
20 new unlockable equipment items.
Optional shortcut to new content.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm certain I got it out of this thread, but Retro Rogue Collection lets you play the original Rogue and has effects to make it look like you're playing a minigame in Fallout 4 on a CRT, or whatever. Sadly, Rogue as a game isn't all that deep.

I will confess to being in a minority, and say that I adore Nethack's tileset. I'm sure a lot of it is just nostalgia talking, but everything is instantly recognizable (assuming you, the player, know beforehand what everything is, mind), the dungeon and its different branches have distinct looks, and it's sort of... Cheerful in its presentation of a game that absolutely hates you and wants you to lose. Of course Nethack's tileset is literally just a .bmp file that you can just edit to your hearts content. There's a goon Nethack tileset floating around somewhere, but I can't find a link to it with a quick googling :(, but that's more of a joke than a cool-looking tileset.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Terminally Bored posted:

Because it's just ran in terminal, you can make the ground gives way look pretty nice

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

from tiny roques discord posted:

Ruby Dev: ill give ya the password for the branch on saturday night
Ruby Dev: so u can test it too

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dungeons of Voidria is a thing that exists:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1354990/Dungeons_of_Voidria/

quote:

Gather loot, unearth secrets and defeat enemies as you explore the shifting Dungeons of Voidria and retrieve fragments to restore the shattered Heart of the void.

Dungeons of Voidria is a roguelite dungeon crawler that features a distinct skill-queuing turn-based combat system. Explore shifting dungeons, gather loot and conquer challenging enemies as you retrieve fragments to restore the shattered Heart of the void.

Key Features:
Discover 200+ unique skills
150+ trinkets to augment your strategies
40+ spells for different situations
50+ unique enemies with evolving abilities
30+ items for you to find and craft
7 playable characters, each with their own strengths
10 difficulty levels to further challenge your skill and knowledge
Unlock new content and mechanics as you explore. The dungeon progresses as you do
Each run is unique! Mysterious interactables, enemy ambushes, and hindering traps require you to adapt accordingly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Because it's just ran in terminal, you can make the ground gives way look pretty nice

yeah with a nice color scheme this game looks beautiful

tho i wish it wasn't an actual-for-real console application because with the easy control scheme and everything it'd be a perfect handheld roguelike :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i played through the entirety of diablo 1 for the first time in 2023 (it was yesterday)

that's kind of like rogue, right?