Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's a proud superhero tradition.

In the corner: "his midget"

I....what is even the context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Prowler posted:

A text box talking about the duplicate, I imagine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Prowler posted:

Superman gets the power to shoot a tiny remote controlled Superman out of his hand due to a meteor or something, then gets jealous of his own superpower.

The Silver Age was a weird time for DC.

Also, yeah. That Vigilantes chapter was bad. Even when this stupid fight is over, it's not over.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vigs

What round are we on now, like...seven? When did Six Gigantamax, I've lost track

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Main series

Dabi looking really rough in that last panel. Seems like they could just wait him out and he would finish burning his own face off.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Superman gets the power to shoot a tiny remote controlled Superman out of his hand due to a meteor or something, then gets jealous of his own superpower.

Also, yeah. That Vigilantes chapter was bad. Even when this stupid fight is over, it's not over.

So, was the mini-Supes immune to Kryptonite?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It’s nice, but it ain’t no super basket-weaving.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

Main series

Dabi looking really rough in that last panel. Seems like they could just wait him out and he would finish burning his own face off.

Dabi self-immolates and then just turns into a flaming skeleton kept alive by the sheer force of his hatred.

...Is what I would say if Vigilantes wasn't already doing that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This week has blessed us with Burnin' in both MHA and Vigilantes, it is a good week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Dabi self-immolates and then just turns into a flaming skeleton kept alive by the sheer force of his hatred.

...Is what I would say if Vigilantes wasn't already doing that.

ahem rock o. clock is made of radiation or some bullshit

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Literally baking in another bullshit asspull powerup for your main character before they even start the fight is so loving dumb.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Literally baking in another bullshit asspull powerup for your main character before they even start the fight is so loving dumb.

He's always had this last quirk to reveal, it's not an asspull. I've enjoyed every quirk he's gotten so far and they've been used in cool ways so I'm giving Horikoshi the benefit of the doubt here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Honestly, it's weird seeing people not just be super negative but often super negative in ways to contradict themselves.

"Hagakure is the traitor? Wow, what a nothing character. At least Aoyama HAD set up even if he's a minor character"
"What it was a fake-out and it's actually Aoyama? Wow at least Hagakure was an out-there pick, now it's an obvious decision."

It's not that you can't be disappointed or like... dislike the manga, but consistency people.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main problem is that, while it has been established that Deku is going to get another power, it hasn't been established what that is, nor do we have any clues. So even though he intended to let Deku pull something out of the bag for the finale, he could be making up the specifics right now for all we know, for when Deku reaches Shiggy again (or whatever timeline the manga's release schedule runs on, but you get what I mean).

Doesn't mean it won't be good of course, might as well stay optimistic! But conversely we don't have any way of predicting what it could be, since it's another person's completely random superpower, so there's not a lot to get hyped for.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It turns out the second user was actually the Luminescent baby all grown up and Deku is going to go super nova.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Nephthys posted:

He's always had this last quirk to reveal, it's not an asspull. I've enjoyed every quirk he's gotten so far and they've been used in cool ways so I'm giving Horikoshi the benefit of the doubt here.

Theres a difference with a 2nd quirk still to reveal itself and Deku knowing what it is, hinting that its a super powerful pretty much one use only thing so now every time Deku gets into a point where it looks like he's going to get beaten thats always at the back of your head. It removes tension from the fight immediately.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Honestly, it's weird seeing people not just be super negative but often super negative in ways to contradict themselves.

"Hagakure is the traitor? Wow, what a nothing character. At least Aoyama HAD set up even if he's a minor character"
"What it was a fake-out and it's actually Aoyama? Wow at least Hagakure was an out-there pick, now it's an obvious decision."

It's not that you can't be disappointed or like... dislike the manga, but consistency people.

I thought both characters were lame picks for the traitor since they were both just gag characters. :shrug:

I guess Aoyama did get a bit of set-up beforehand about his insecurities, but still.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-349/chapter/24204?action=read

didn't realize had badly Dabi's body is looking dude is going to be nothing but ash after his flashback is over.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Official

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-349/chapter/24204?action=read

didn't realize had badly Dabi's body is looking dude is going to be nothing but ash after his flashback is over.

:kingsley: You sly dog! You got me monologuing! :kingsley:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Honestly, ever since Twice went down, I've found that the villain I'm enjoying the most is actually Dabi. He's hateable and unrepentant but clearly having fun with it and he isn't bullshit overpowered like Shigaraki is. He has one of the better villain origins and while it's undeniably tragic we aren't expected to sympathize with him.

He feels like a legit "successor" to All For One, in that he has the same obsession with Endeavor that AFO has with All Might and every scene is him just gleefully being villainous.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Honestly, ever since Twice went down, I've found that the villain I'm enjoying the most is actually Dabi. He's hateable and unrepentant but clearly having fun with it and he isn't bullshit overpowered like Shigaraki is. He has one of the better villain origins and while it's undeniably tragic we aren't expected to sympathize with him.

He feels like a legit "successor" to All For One, in that he has the same obsession with Endeavor that AFO has with All Might and every scene is him just gleefully being villainous.

Yeah like, I have a harder time believing Dabi can be "saved" than I can Shigaraki or Toga just because of how much of an rear end in a top hat he's been this entire series, even with his tragic backstory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dabi puts all his energy into being a horrible little bastard man and the story actually treats him like a horrible little bastard man

that latter part is very important, way too often the "we must save the bad guy" schtick creates a grating dissonance where the story tries to contrive more and more sympathy for the villain even as they become more and more vile

i'm still traumatized by melon from beastars

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Onmi posted:

homie let me introduce you to mushroom girl

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Spinner is going to have his moment you all just wait

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hey, remember Compress? You know the magician guy? Remember how his big moment was revealing that the legendary thief guy that was mentioned like once before was his ancestor, just before compressing his own rear end and disappearing from the story forever? :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Not a lot the guy can do from an Iron Butt.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hey, remember Compress? You know the magician guy? Remember how his big moment was revealing that the legendary thief guy that was mentioned like once before was his ancestor, just before compressing his own rear end and disappearing from the story forever? :v:

A magician who compress he own rear end... a shameful magician

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Not a lot the guy can do from an Iron Butt.

He'll come in at the last second as the Hip Check Hero and clock Shiggy across the face with his Iron rear end so Deku can get the last hit in

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want Compress to make a face turn so the heroes have to build him an armory of prosthetic butts, just like Mirko's stash of prosthetics.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

dabi puts all his energy into being a horrible little bastard man and the story actually treats him like a horrible little bastard man

that latter part is very important, way too often the "we must save the bad guy" schtick creates a grating dissonance where the story tries to contrive more and more sympathy for the villain even as they become more and more vile

Wow, this sums up my feelings almost precisely.

Like I feel there's a limit to how much empathy you can expect a reader to have for someone who continually does terrible, awful things and doubles down on doing those terrible, awful things on a continual basis. Dabi is a victim of his circumstances just as much as the other LoV members but the manga feels a lot more hardened and committed to him being a fuckhead, instead of an agency-free victim who needs to be saved.

(I, too, am traumatized by Melon)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 28, 2022

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Dabi is the best part of this finale. He's failed his entire life and even as he's closer than he's ever been to his goals he's failing so hard he's falling to bloody chunks. I love him. If his fight with Shoto turns out to be more focused on keeping him from burning himself alive it'll be the most interesting match up of all the final battles

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I still wish Compress succeeded in throwing his buttcheeks at Mirio.

thighlandertwo
Jan 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still think having Joshua Graham on your payroll is cheating, Endeavor. :colbert:

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I will lol and also lose my poo poo if in 20 chapters AfO is like "WHY IS EVERYONE CRYING AND HUGGING"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

ButterSkeleton posted:

I will lol and also lose my poo poo if in 20 chapters AfO is like "WHY IS EVERYONE CRYING AND HUGGING"

the scenario and your avatar match perfectly for the pose AFO will be doing.

Oxxidation posted:

my god what a trainwreck that all became.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Croc posted:

the scenario and your avatar match perfectly for the pose AFO will be doing.

my god what a trainwreck that all became.

Can I get a spoiler tag on what happened with bestars, I saw season 1 and thought it was good and just kinda fell off with it on my 'need to get back to eventually' list

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get a spoiler tag on what happened with bestars, I saw season 1 and thought it was good and just kinda fell off with it on my 'need to get back to eventually' list

Furry Joker

But the anime hasn't covered it yet, so if you get around to watching season 2 the stuff it covers is still pretty good imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the very short version is that the author created a villain who was a) furry joker, b) an inadvertent argument in favor of eugenics, and c) very clearly the author's newest crush, so the last 50-60 chapters are all about this leering invincible rear end in a top hat who kills people and maims himself initially because his wacked-out genes make him incapable of finding pleasure in anything else, but then the story very abruptly (probably because of the eugenics thing) blames it all on his parents instead, so that it's shaking its finger at his mom and deadbeat dad while he's still laughing like a maniac and ripping people's skin off. he commits suicide, lives, commits suicide again, lives again, and is finally seen in prison literally smirking at the reader over a huge pile of fan mail. the manga ends three chapters later

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That sounds like an unholy fusion of the worst parts of The Joker and Zenos yae Galvus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my god, what in the actually hell is any of that? Why even