Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

it looks EXACTLY like that rounded headed big-eyed fish-lipped cartoon character that would sometimes show up in looney tunes or such from forever ago you know the one

Bosko?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvzZMGm1B7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol nice

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

I think he means the Peter Lorre caricature:
https://fb.watch/eemXfumkQN/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think the guards' slang is getting a bit more mixed, but I enjoyed the slide into 1940s gangster a lot.

That xkcd comic is unfortunately right about how language all blurs together into becoming equally old-timey after long enough. On the other hand, maybe they're regional dialects from back when.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Servant
What kind
Smells
Several years

Maybe

Imogen

Spare

Tower

This here is one of the most memorable arguments made in Trixie :allears:

Deaths: 5 (+3; 1 spare parts turtle, 1 dark snake monster, 1 furry cyan monster)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Jul 17, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's been someone's avatar for ages, surprised to see it's this early in the comic.

Also frankly none of those are the craziest things that have happened to royalty.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hempuli posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Actual tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. No comic itt has even made me chuckle audibly up to now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

flavor.flv posted:

Actual tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. No comic itt has even made me chuckle audibly up to now.

It's fantastic, isn't it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just realized that both Junji Ito shorts posted here ended with extremely distorted bodies - the first because of the pressures of the holes, the second because of the pressures of the older layers on the younger bodies. Is that a recurring theme in his work?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh we haven't even begin to plumb the depths of Junji Ito's body horror. Just wait until we get to Uzumaki

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

flavor.flv posted:

Oh we haven't even begin to plumb the depths of Junji Ito's body horror. Just wait until we get to Uzumaki

No ring

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Of course not, that was Koji Suzuki.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll say this about Ito's stuff, while you can always expect distended bodies you'd still be shocked by the execution.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lmao he sees right through their bullshit and he's so pissed off

Samovar posted:

Of course not, that was Koji Suzuki.
:golfclap:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

Hey, I'm the number one Google result for the word "concerned"! Take that, Union of Concerned Scientists! Eat me, Concerned Women for America! Hey, , I got a match for you: my rear end and your face!

Okay, granted, people googling for the word "Concerned" are probably just looking for my site in the first place, but still. The only search my old site (notmydesk.com) ever pwned was "nude women with hiccups", the reasons for which I neither can nor wish to recall.
(dead link)

(Thunderbeast note: the above is formatted exactly as in the original blog post, including the wrong second link, the missing org name, and the entire underlined portion representing a dead link due to missing a closing anchor tag)

(edit: now googling for "concerned" only brings up a full page of links to dictionary entries for the word. rip)

I've been using some custom models in the comic lately (not made custom for me, but for G-Mod in general). Here are some links:

Eyeglasses (and way, way more) by Kathar aka Mark Lyon (flag models by Freelancer/Shadow7.(dead link)

Half-Life Source Mod (seen in today's comic) by Someone! and Splurgy.(dead link)

The Freeman model you've been catching a few glimpses of for a while now by HB_Talon.(dead link)

I still think it's amazing that you can find just about anything you need in the G-Mod forums, and they stuff you can't find, someone will probably make if you ask nicely.

This is a nod to the "Which Barney is the Real Barney in HL1" discussion that is probably still going on in a number of forums. The "Blue Shift" expansion answers it clearly -- the Barney you see in the tunnel at the very beginning of HL1 is the real Barney, but some people still don't believe it. Since you never interact with that Barney in the tunnel, that Barney never offers to buy you a beer, and thus the Barney in HL2, who references that line, can't be the same Barney. (Not to mention Blue Shift was made by another company, and some fans don't accept it as canon.)

Of course, the beginning of HL1 does not represent the first time Gordon Freeman has visited the Black Mesa Complex, and thus the tunnel Barney may have offered to buy Freeman that beer on any other number of prior occasions. This is the sort of thing that dorks, such as myself, tend to discuss in great detail.

As far as my comic goes, Valve actually does a fine job in HL2 of making sure you don't have duplicates of the same extra on the screen at the same time. I think I may have seen it happen once or twice, but I'm really not sure.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Jul 13, 2022

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 11: 11-18 of 30

Qualia the Purple
Episode 11: 19-30 of 30

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

U03

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Lmao

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It came from... QCS?!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

using this thread to spread awareness of Kate Beaton's upcoming book Ducks, which will be released by Drawn & Quarterly on September 13

https://drawnandquarterly.com/books/ducks/

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I thought this was gonna be a complete Secret Origins, but mom is still an enigma

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I read Uzumaki years ago and bits of Tomie and Gyo, but Junji Ito's shorts are new to me. Please post more of them to take my mind off how sad SSSS is

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought this was gonna be a complete Secret Origins, but mom is still an enigma

she speaks from experience, obviously

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

the holy poopacy posted:

she speaks from experience, obviously

It's a rite of passage.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

eating only apples posted:

I read Uzumaki years ago and bits of Tomie and Gyo, but Junji Ito's shorts are new to me. Please post more of them to take my mind off how sad SSSS is

SSSS is sad, and it's about to get weird.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 11: 19-30 of 30

This is probably my favorite/most anticipated comic in the thread at the moment.

Also:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Adventures of the Duck Avenger, issue #17, Shooting Star

written by Alessando Sisti (probably half the issues by now), art by Paolo Mottura (Two and Invasion)

this episode contains Xadhoom

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks to the searchability of GMail, which I use to backup my site mail, I can easily find that it was on January 6th of this year that a reader named Thomas Savage sent me a note that said, in part:

"...I have noticed some consistancies with all the half life games: you always have to go through incredible odds of alien monsters and potent deathtraps and evil soldiers and treacherous jumps and taxing challenges just to get to the other side of a locked wooden door."

"I just assumed you could bring up the entirety of this strange repeating problem some time in the future."

Thomas, here we are in the future (man, is it the future already? How the present flies). Anyway, thanks for the idea! Hope you like the comic it spawned.

Aha! I've been patiently waiting for this one to crop up, I was actually the one who sent him this email that this comic is based on, I even still have the original backed up on my email client. Now what's strange is that for the longest time, this quote was used on the top of a TV tropes page even though I have no idea why anyone would think to put that there.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tombot posted:

Aha! I've been patiently waiting for this one to crop up, I was actually the one who sent him this email that this comic is based on, I even still have the original backed up on my email client. Now what's strange is that for the longest time, this quote was used on the top of a TV tropes page even though I have no idea why anyone would think to put that there.

Oh nice! Grats on contributing to a bit of internet history and culture :tipshat:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
bold of you to admit you were scheming to break down doors on january sixth

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

And now for something completely different.

I've been wanting to post about this for a while: it's The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier (Ryuu to Yuusha to Haitatsunin), a comedy by certified history freak Gregorius Yamada. There's kind of a lot going on in this manga, but the thing I want to draw attention to is the riff it makes on the current fad for game-like fantasy worlds - you know the ones, with levels and skills and classes and things. DHC has all those things too - but they're all done completely manually. Experience points aren't gained automatically - there's a guy whose job it is to follow you around and write down what you've done. There's a combat log - it's that same guy doing a running commentary on how the fight goes. Apparently, he can tell how much damage you do just by looking. There's battle music - a troupe of bards who attempt to play the appropriate theme depending on the progress of the battle. On top of that, these people aren't just brainless npcs, they're working stiffs just trying to get by and we mainly see the story from their perspective. Finally, instead of the setting largely being based on the usual fantasy mishmash, DHC has a medieval vibe that is, if not capital A Accurate (I mean, there's dragons and elves and things), at least has a lower case t true verisimilitude to it.

Anyway, I'm starting us off on chapter 2 because that's when the aforementioned vibes really kick in.

And here's our main character, a half-elf from the countryside come to the big city.

Here's another touch I like, most characters have epithets (the Tempest, of Flurries, the Anus Smasher) instead of last names.

I guess it's worth mentioning at this point that the author hasn't really bothered to file off all the serial numbers on the religion of this setting? It's never mentioned explicitly, but most of the characters seem to be Christians - they talk about saints and feast days and the holy trinity. At one point, a costumed mascot show (shutup) gets busted up by the Inquisition on suspicion of idolatry. The mascot show deploys a former monk to debate the inquisitors and they actually cite (as far I can tell) real theological sources and rulings.

Bonus pages:

(In case you were wondering about the curry from earlier on)

So that's the Dragon, the Hero and the Courier. It's a little crude in places, but I'm quite fond of it. Would people like to see more? Whole chapters or part chapters? I don't want to punish people's scroll bars too much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

I can't even tell the edits from the real thing anymore....

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Literally LOL

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I love how I have no idea if this is real or an edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

His side was pierced with a spear. Not a sword. So not very biblically accurate. :catbert: