Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I grew up in Baltimore and am glad the Ravens lost. Fitting that the CHUD fan base built a statue to a mirderer who pretends to be religious

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

"We're not going to fund a wall"

x2

trump: "Ok how about instead of concrete we do *steel slats*"

"No, that is still a wall and we're not going to fund it"

-----

trump: "Great progress made today!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so what the gently caress was he doing that whole time? jerking it?

like pence is probably a better negotiator but even that ghoul is hosed because trump won't allow any kind of actual give and take on his side.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 6, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Heh, his tweet is making it sound like Democrats agreed to the steel slat wall.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lycus posted:

they didn't. its just what the voices in his brain are telling him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lycus posted:

Didn't you know that all the Democrats support that and have voted for it in the past and Nancy and Chuck want to cut a deal and all the former Presidents who totally have good relationships with Trump have called him to tell him they support him on this?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I swear he thinks the steel slats are an amazing brand new idea every time he brings it up

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I feel really sick about this shutdown. I get why Dems shouldn't cave, because that would send the message that shutdowns will get Trump what he wants. But I feel so bad for all the people that this hurts and all the national parks that are getting hosed up. It's just loving unreal that this animal is president.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
As long as he pretends it is a brand new amazing idea, people will buy into it as such

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

loving :lol: cross post

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Pigbuster posted:

I swear he thinks the steel slats are an amazing brand new idea every time he brings it up

He appears to not have a great memory, so uh, maybe he actually *does* think it is a new idea every time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He straight up thinks that if he claims they agreed to it, he gets to hold them to it and if they say "uh, no we didn't" he can call them liars and blame them for "backing out" and everyone will believe him.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I grew up in Baltimore and am glad the Ravens lost. Fitting that the CHUD fan base built a statue to a mirderer who pretends to be religious

I mean, we do a lot of murders, and with all the confederate statues removed it only makes sense

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You can't get scab workers for the majority of the jobs that they desperately need to keep running, mainly because of the training and job duties, and the security clearance issues. Like full on if they needed to replace all of the positions for most of these jobs tomorrow it would be catastrophic.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KillHour posted:

He straight up thinks that if he claims they agreed to it, he gets to hold them to it and if they say "uh, no we didn't" he can call them liars and blame them for "backing out" and everyone will believe him.

I have a feeling that a lot of his business dealings were him claiming everyone agreed to a thing and all of his little yes men running around desperately to try and cobble together something close to that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

loving :lol: cross post

The best part of this is the realization that we would pay Mexico in order to build the wall.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1082034728281272322

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1082035713422622721

cool. i guess he will try the emergency poo poo soon.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how long until Trump offers to forgive all Mexican debt or something if they’ll build the wall on their side of the border?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You can't get scab workers for the majority of the jobs that they desperately need to keep running, mainly because of the training and job duties, and the security clearance issues. Like full on if they needed to replace all of the positions for most of these jobs tomorrow it would be catastrophic.

Also they can't pay them. Scab Workers aren't usually motivated by civic duty.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hunt11 posted:

So would Trump trying to pull eminem domain to get the wall built in Texas be enough to turn the state solidly purple?

It'd just make Detroit bluer

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, we do a lot of murders, and with all the confederate statues removed it only makes sense

Ravens fanbase has to be top 5 bad right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I feel like we're seriously hitting the point where the system we had that pretended the GOP was acting in good faith for years is going to crumble without the press doing some serious lying.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Ravens fanbase has to be top 5 bad right?
I don't really follow football, tbh, I just like it when the city I live in does well.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hunt11 posted:

So would Trump trying to pull eminem domain to get the wall built in Texas be enough to turn the state solidly purple?

He'll only get 8 miles if he tries using that

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trump doesn’t know what eminent domain is.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

UCS Hellmaker posted:

So if this continues and people start quitting their unpaid jobs, we could have months or even years of air travel disruption ahead of us.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So if this continues and people start quitting their unpaid jobs, we could have months or even years of air travel disruption ahead of us.

Yep!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump would get it confused with Prima Nocta

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's one of the few things I'm confident he's heard of and somewhat understands.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Willo567 posted:

I swear I'm so loving pissed at this shut down

People are literally going to starve to death because of it

That's like one of those steps dictators do during their reign. North Korea under all three leaders does it, Stalinist Russia did it, Both the Keiser and Nazi Germany did it, Mao in China did it, Venezuela does it, it's like a checkbox you have to check off

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

I don't really follow football, tbh, I just like it when the city I live in does well.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-fans-national-anthem-reaction-0523-story.html

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Your Taint posted:

I would not be surprised if within a week we start seeing them say "well, if a grown adult doesn't have 6 months of savings like they're supposed to, then that's not the President's problem :colbert:"

"Goddamned gold brickers have fridges and *gasp* color televisions, they should have plenty to live without pay for a few weeks"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's that thing where Trump clearly became President really thinking the President could do whatever he wanted because he's an idiot who watched Fox News and the GOP say Obama was an unruly king for eight years and believed it. And when he can't do what he wants its because someone is changing the rules and being unfair and not because he never actually knew what was happening and it was never actually doing the things he thought.

I assume as a former real estate guy he has a similar "understanding" of eminent domain. Its the crazy government super power that lets them easily do what he worked so hard to fail to do.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

qkkl posted:

Throughout history the purpose of walls has been for self-defense, so I'm not sure why no one has told Trump he could just use a tiny amount of the US's vast military funds to build the wall.

Because it's a grift. He'd employ whatever contractor would be cheapest and pocket the remainder...you know, if he manages to seize all the land along the border and not start riots all along it

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's hilarious, he had two years to negotiate, but he played golf instead. Now he's panicking.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fans posted:

Also they can't pay them. Scab Workers aren't usually motivated by civic duty.

Countdown until Wall Gofundme Guy offers to pay chuds to come to DC and take over as scabs.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
What the gently caress? They started that "it's not a wall it's a ________" bullshit like a week ago right? Why are they suddenly busting it back out as if it was news?

trump stunting for a wall he doesn't even have a DESIGN for is a little hard to argue against. I'm sure we'll hear a creative one or two from some dipshit though. If it even gets brought up.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Look man all I know is the last time they went to the Superbowl, every time I rode the bus or went anywhere I witnessed complete strangers bonding like old friends, which is a nice thing to see.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

At one point maybe. But he’s since developed the brain worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Lycus posted:

How many of the people working without pay are in a union? Can the ones that are legally strike during a shutdown?

I'm not sure of the number involved, though about half of all federal employees generally are part of a bargaining unit represented by a union. The law that allows federal employees to join unions specifically bars them from striking. Doing so would be a Unfair Labor Practice. The penalties for committing a ULP aren't really meaningful in a shutdown situation though, and hilariously, the agency responsible for charging ULPs is closed due to the shutdown.

Edit: The FLRA could theoretically decertify any union that orders a strike, as it did with the air traffic controllers in the 80s. That's probably the biggest reason no union will order a strike.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2019