Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

SMT is not actually where the cash is for the franchise these days. Persona is. Now that Persona 5 made a bunch of new HD models we'll probably see them recycling a whole bunch for actual consoles but there is a reason that pretty much every recent SMT game uses static artwork.

That teaser for the Switch game seems to imply 3D models for the next SMT like Nocturne had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What he's saying is that most of them are going to be reused from P5.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

NikkolasKing posted:

So mainline SMT game are low budget? That seems weird.

What about Atlus joining the Steam revolution like other JRPG companies, even little ones, are doing? Maybe they could turn a profit.

Once upon a time Atlus games were made on a tight budget. Then Persona 3 and 4 became mega-hits.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

How did SMT1 for iOS turn out? Substantially better than SNES? Marginally better?

The iOS version is basically an emulated version of the GBA version with an actual translation done by the same team as SMTIV and the PSX soundtrack, so it's a fairly solid release. Though, now that iOS11 is out, you literally cannot play it anymore because Apple decided to cut off support for 32-bit apps. :(

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I figured that when it comes to Persona and SMT the tail has been wagging the dog for about a decade now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

That teaser for the Switch game seems to imply 3D models for the next SMT like Nocturne had.

Yes, and they'll probably be largely recycled from Persona 5 with a few new ones, like how Nocturne's demon stuff was the basis for a lot of the games that followed. Prior to that they had the choice of increasingly outdated PS2-era models or static artwork.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

ChaosArgate posted:

The iOS version is basically an emulated version of the GBA version with an actual translation done by the same team as SMTIV and the PSX soundtrack, so it's a fairly solid release. Though, now that iOS11 is out, you literally cannot play it anymore because Apple decided to cut off support for 32-bit apps. :(

buh

And that was the one clean legal way to play, wasn't it?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I'm still sad about that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The difference is that there is quite literally no reason not to use the HD 3D models for the switch SMT game, since they already exist.

However, yes, rip SMTxFE, even though what eventually came of it was still pretty good.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The other difference is that the switch teaser is actual demon models, (barely) running on switch hardware, whereas the SMTxFE was just old character art from the different franchises floating around in a void.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adlai Stevenson posted:

buh

And that was the one clean legal way to play, wasn't it?

Yuuuup.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So progress on Eternal Punishment is a bit slow (just finished the Sanitarium, did a lot of grinding for Persona Ranks and Cards which took most of my game time today) because I've been tired but I have to say that the quality of life improvements to the gameplay is hugely appreciated. Battles are so much faster, the way it just teleports you right to the store counters when you enter a shop, the fact everyone only has only one dialogue option for Demons.... That last one is probably my favorite thing.

Also the voice-acting is surprisingly good. I'm pretty sure Katsuya is Kakashi/Kefka/Allen. Sadly it looks like Maya is actually the worst VA so so far. Also I'm really not sure how I feel on her becoming full fledged Persona MC which means taking away all her dialogue while in turn making Tatsuya speak a lot. I think I liked it the other way around but I guess I'll see.

Is there a mostly fixed playable cast like in Innocent Sin? I hope Ulala doesn't go anywhere 'cuz she's my favorite. Also was warned about picking a specific choice when it comes time to spread some rumor. I guess it relates to her in some way.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 14, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onomarchus posted:

I figured that when it comes to Persona and SMT the tail has been wagging the dog for about a decade now.

more like the dog and tail have switched places, or morphed into each other, or some other terrible metaphor to explain that persona is the main series they care about now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think budgets are still tight at Atlus despite (or even because of) P5 because that game took years to make and sunk a ton of time a resources into the production

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So progress on Eternal Punishment is a bit slow (just finished the Sanitarium, did a lot of grinding for Persona Ranks and Cards which took most of my game time today) because I've been tired but I have to say that the quality of life improvements to the gameplay is hugely appreciated. Battles are so much faster, the way it just teleports you right to the store counters when you enter a shop, the fact everyone only has only one dialogue option for Demons.... That last one is probably my favorite thing.

Also the voice-acting is surprisingly good. I'm pretty sure Katsuya is Kakashi/Kefka/Allen. Sadly it looks like Maya is actually the worst VA so so far. Also I'm really not sure how I feel on her becoming full fledged Persona MC which means taking away all her dialogue while in turn making Tatsuya speak a lot. I think I liked it the other way around but I guess I'll see.

Is there a mostly fixed playable cast like in Innocent Sin? I hope Ulala doesn't go anywhere 'cuz she's my favorite. Also was warned about picking a specific choice when it comes time to spread some rumor. I guess it relates to her in some way.

Whichever Persona 1 character you picked will eventually leave and be replaced with someone else. Everyone else is there for the long haul.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

Eternal Punishment has my favorite cast, with Baofu, Ulala, Maya, Katsuya and the other three.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think budgets are still tight at Atlus despite (or even because of) P5 because that game took years to make and sunk a ton of time a resources into the production

It's less that, and more that they're still reeling from that whole Index fiasco from a few years ago.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

NikkolasKing posted:

I hope Ulala doesn't go anywhere 'cuz she's my favorite.

:3:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

more like the dog and tail have switched places, or morphed into each other, or some other terrible metaphor to explain that persona is the main series they care about now

im glad that it enables them to make mainline SMT but i still wish we could get more spinoffs like digital devil saga.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
HD Raidou 3 or bust IMO

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't vanilla SMTIV a relatively well-selling Mainline SMT game despite it taking like 2 years to get into a 600k worldwide sales milestone of sorts while Persona 5 tripled that in like a loving year?

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
The Jack Game....Is Real https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/919842770549985280

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The 3DS games are extremely low budget titles. Porting them to switch would probably be prohibitively expensive or extremely low quality.

Oh no... anything but a low quality port of an old game on a nintendo console

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

Oh no... anything but a low quality port of an old game on a nintendo console

Yes? There's a pretty big difference between porting a PS3 game and a 3DS game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Wow I can't believe Atlus murdered Cuphead like that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"Prologue" huh?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be cool if that meant they're actually working on a full fledged metroidvania style game

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? There's a pretty big difference between porting a PS3 game and a 3DS game.

They sell decades old gameboy color games for like 15 dollars dude

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

What does that have to do with remaking a 3DS game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

... What does that have to do with anything? If you're saying "maybe they'll put 3DS games on the Switch" that's fine (though kinda unlikely) but it's a far cry from porting the game to the switch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maya Fey posted:

They're like $5-6 except for the Pokémon games which are $10. Topic Locked.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Amazing reading comprehension everyone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maya Fey posted:

Amazing reading comprehension everyone.

The GBC games are emulations, not ports. R->C->P

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no, gently caress off, no one has any idea what the hell your point is, that's on you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I was originally trying to say was that I hope they put the games I want to play on a system I can play.

But in other news, I just got done with Sumaru TV in Eternal Punishment. There's a lot more to do in this game than there was in IS. Although I already failed at getting my first map completion, in spite of wasting hours of my life combing over every floor multiple times. So that was fun. The game was getting good too with Ellie and this New World Order stuff. But all I can think of now is that Card I won't get.

But I am glad to see this game has Skill/Spell Cards.. That was an awesome surprise. Weren't Skill Cards not even in original P3 or 4? Why the hell does EP have a better gameplay feature than those two did.

What exactly does the Jewelry do? It wants me to complete materials and I have no idea where you get those.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

What exactly does the Jewelry do? It wants me to complete materials and I have no idea where you get those.

It's just a weapon/armor crafting system. Many of the best weapons and armor in the game are obtained that way, but honestly it's a lot of effort expended for not that much payoff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

It's just a weapon/armor crafting system. Many of the best weapons and armor in the game are obtained that way, but honestly it's a lot of effort expended for not that much payoff.

Yeah there seems to be a lot more effort put into the weapons in this game with each having special effects or critical rates but I just don't see any reason to use anything but Persona powers. I mean, am I wrong to be constantly summoning new Personas and ranking them up at every dungeon? It doesn't leave much room to bother using regular attacks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ScruffyTurtles/status/920098029364850688

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JadedShinyGeese-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Jack Brosvania is amazing