Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGLwPrX6qpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

I'm trying to figure out the logic here... so if someone is following you perceivably too close, you slam on your brakes so they hit you? And stuff?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MageMage posted:

I'm trying to figure out the logic here... so if someone is following you perceivably too close, you slam on your brakes so they hit you? And stuff?

Ideally, it scares the crap out of them. In practice, if they're not paying attention you end up in a crash.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Brake checking is like vigilantism or super heroes. It might seem like a cool idea in a movie but is in fact terrible and harmful to all parties involved.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

doverhog posted:

Brake checking is like vigilantism or super heroes. It might seem like a cool idea in a movie but is in fact terrible and harmful to all parties involved.

I tried to look it up but failed:

Has there been any verified case of someone dressing up in a mask and costume and engaging in vigilante violence? All the “real life superheroes” I can find just do neighborhood watch or charity work in costume and all the real vigilantes just wear paramilitary gear and execute cartel members.

Basically, has anyone actually tried to be Batman for real?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

Has there been any verified case of someone dressing up in a mask and costume and engaging in vigilante violence? All the “real life superheroes” I can find just do neighborhood watch or charity work in costume and all the real vigilantes just wear paramilitary gear and execute cartel members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Jones

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Not that I know of. If you have the motivation and worldly knowledge to actually do something like that a balaclava is just better. Various political groups have worn uniforms of some kind and done vigilantism but it's not really the same thing.

It of course gets really muddy as to what exactly is vigilantism if the state apparatus itself is failing and corrupt. What's the difference between a rebel and freedom fighter, and a terrorist?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Roving state-sanctioned ganksquads are one of the many exciting features of a failed government.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
As an individual, it's probably pretty tricky to find crimes to foil.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

That isn't anything like what happened. Those guys have their arms hooked for some reason and you don't even see the ball?

I couldn't see the clip because it wouldn't play on my phone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dizz posted:

The real schad here is that it's such a lovely moderated thing that this always happens and nothing changes.

alas such is the world irl

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

You could start hitting the offices of investment banks, but then that's political terrorism. Foiling crimes that some poor sod does on the street is setting the bar very low.

You guys should read Alan Moores Miracleman, where the Superman equivalent does what an actual superhero should do, and takes over the world. Abolishes money, throws all nukes into the sun, lives in a giant pyramid reaching out into space build upon the ruins of London. :hydrogen:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly ? I mean, sort of.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Phoenix Jones got arrested for macing a guy I think

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There was a dude in the UK that went around in costume cutting off the wheel clamps they use for parking violations there.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

Phoenix Jones got arrested for macing a guy I think

Yeah the charges ended up being dropped though, just read his wiki.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The problem with Batman style vigilante justice is Batman often leaves dudes tied up in abandoned warehouses and poo poo and the cops just find them. In a real world situation you've just left some criminals to die, tied together in the old warehouse district.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Untrustable posted:

The problem with Batman style vigilante justice is Batman often leaves dudes tied up in abandoned warehouses and poo poo and the cops just find them. In a real world situation you've just left some criminals to die, tied together in the old warehouse district.

Just send a telegram to the police every morning telling them where the crimers are tied up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bruce Wayne should make a crime reporting app and use crowd sourcing to solve crime.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Volcott posted:

Just send a telegram to the police every morning telling them where the crimers are tied up.

I have my man deliver a visiting card.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

`Nemesis posted:

There was a dude in the UK that went around in costume cutting off the wheel clamps they use for parking violations there.

yes!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3112670.stm

true hero imo

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

doverhog posted:

You guys should read Alan Moores Miracleman, where the Superman equivalent does what an actual superhero should do, and takes over the world. Abolishes money, throws all nukes into the sun, lives in a giant pyramid reaching out into space build upon the ruins of London. :hydrogen:
I read that one a long while ago. Rather gross in parts. Didn't he like give audiences to people who braved the hazardous climb up to his fortress? I remember thinking that it would be pretty unfair if you were in a wheelchair or something.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

More like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Moonlite

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Powaqoatse posted:

alas such is the world irl

Don't remind me :smith:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I read that one a long while ago. Rather gross in parts. Didn't he like give audiences to people who braved the hazardous climb up to his fortress? I remember thinking that it would be pretty unfair if you were in a wheelchair or something.

There's several gross parts yea, and yes people could climb up the artificial mountain to get an audience. He didn't want to take over the world originally but sort of had to do it after a bunch of stuff happened including a cataclysmic battle against an evil mentally deranged "superman" who destroyed London and murdered, tortured and did other bad things to its population while Miracleman wasn't looking. The giant pyramid is built on the bones of the millions who died as a reminder that he is not a regular man, and that he can never look away from the world. He is responsible for everything that happens because he has the power to prevent it. Preventing street crime is pointless, you should instead destroy the capitalist system that causes street crime.

I imagine someone in a wheelchair could try to get his attention with some other way, the point of the audiences isn't to fix the world, he already did that.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Nov 12, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Isn't it also a triple offside?

Can't tell from that angle. It's only offside if the yellow players were ahead of the last defender when the pass was kicked.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mu Zeta posted:

Bruce Wayne should make a crime reporting app and use crowd sourcing to solve crime.

He prefers old-school techniques.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He's got a bad case of crazy eye

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

He prefers old-school techniques.

The master detective at work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

MageMage posted:

As people have said, some of it is misguided "I'm gonna teach 'em a lesson" style assholism. Others are attempting insurance fraud. You swoop in, slam on your brakes, and get hit. You tell the police that you were just driving along and got rear-ended. In normal situations, the guy who rear-ends the other person is assumed to be at fault, so typically they get a payout from the victim's insurance company. Luckily, these people were using dash cams, catching the fraudsters in the act.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

If you'd like, there are bicycles available with brakes on them. :v:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

I never understood the type of assholery of the brake checking in that video. The first one, I can at least follow the logic. "Hey buddy, you're driving too close to me, please slow down."

But the others were all people cutting someone off and then brake checking them. "You made me go slower than I wanted for a bit, so now I'm going to make you go slower for a bit cause an accident." :psyduck:

Fake edit: I honestly expected to see a bunch of Massachusetts plates in that video.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/FkWuKFk.gifv

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

`Nemesis posted:

Angle Grinder Man!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3112670.stm

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

I never understood the type of assholery of the brake checking in that video. The first one, I can at least follow the logic. "Hey buddy, you're driving too close to me, please slow down."

But the others were all people cutting someone off and then brake checking them. "You made me go slower than I wanted for a bit, so now I'm going to make you go slower for a bit cause an accident." :psyduck:

Fake edit: I honestly expected to see a bunch of Massachusetts plates in that video.

Counterpoint: it's your legal responsibility (in the uk at least) to leave enough distance so that if the car in front performs an emergency stop, you are able to safely do so as well.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

Counterpoint: it's your legal responsibility (in the uk at least) to leave enough distance so that if the car in front performs an emergency stop, you are able to safely do so as well.

Most of 'em are moving in front of the car that ultimately hits them, not giving them an opportunity to create that distance. They're not trying to teach them a lesson, they're trying to force an accident so they can hit up the other person's insurance company.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Dark Knight already had that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

There was a Batman anniversary comic which told various alternate reality stories and one of them was about a Batman that had to deal with this. Everything started out the same where Bruce Wayne trained and equipped himself to fight crime, except after a couple of weeks he ran out of crime to stop. So to keep Bruce from going crazy without anything to do Alfred hires a bunch of his old actor friends to be supervillains. They would put together elaborate "crimes" (purposefully designed so nobody would get hurt) that Batman would then come in to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Velocity Raptor posted:

When someone is tailgating me, I slow down to create more distance ahead of me, in hopes that I won’t have to brake as hard if something happens. Apparently some people find this infuriating?