Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I have a table at the June Toycon NJ so if anyone wants to buy some of my many mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

I have a table at the June Toycon NJ so if anyone wants to buy some of my many mistakes.

got any cool purple toys or gunpla? :D

edit: Wait a second, how many of us are going? Are we bringing back GoonCon?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Saw the flash movie figs this morning. The only one missing was Keaton of course. No Batmobile either.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The missing ones were Batfleck and masked Keaton. Target had like 6 of the unmasked Keaton bats. I'm just looking for a second batmobile to go with the one I preordered that I can try painting to make the canopy and the body match and make matte.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I'm not too bummed by it, Amazon is supposed to start shipping them out this week so we'll see. It is fun to buy them in store though.

A few days ago I bought that ugly-rear end MfF Aquaman on clearnance. I want to build the Cyborg and I figured 12 bucks was okay to pay for Cyborg's torso. I did find skinny Superman today who comes with Cyborg's arms. This is going to be a big Vic once it's all together. The last two figs in the Flashpoint wave haven't been announced yet, so who knows what's coming there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I might be going to the Tampa toy show next weekend at the state fairgrounds.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I might be going to the Tampa toy show next weekend at the state fairgrounds.

Sounds like fun. I haven’t been to a show or con since before COVID.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hear macys has the batmobile. I haven’t seen it yet myself but could be worth a look

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I hear macys has the batmobile. I haven’t seen it yet myself but could be worth a look

I checked that out for the first time last week. I didn’t see anything cool, it was mostly dolls and preschool type toys.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My insane Marvel legends eBay binge continues!

I have wanted a classic Jim Lee style Cyclops for a while, and have been torn between the new VHS one with the cell shading that I hate, and the older version with a more normal color scheme but otherwise not as good of a figure. I settled on buying the VHS version with intent to scrub the lovely paint apps off it. Found an OK price on that guy.

Another character I've considered picking up for my growing Spider-Man collection is Black Cat. Part of this is that she was the most common result when I searched for "Kingpin BAF" because there was one in that wave, but it was this weird non-standard outfit. Probably why so many people are trying to get rid of it. I kept seeing her over and over, thinking well, I do like Black Cat, but I certainly don't want that version. Really nice head sculpt though, with a poo poo-eating grin that really works for that character.
I looked around a little and found it would be possible to get her in the classic outfit with the white fur, but that was an early one from the bad old days of ML, and it had a bad face sculpt and generally bad paint job. I was thinking maybe a head swap with the Kingpin version? And also a repaint? Then there's the "retro" version that is almost the best one, but generally the most expensive. She doesn't have the grin, but the face sculpt/paint are super nice, she has basically the classic outfit, and even comes with a freakin' kitty cat! You guys know how I feel about action figures that come with a kitty cat. That's the way to my heart. But that one is lacking the fur collar with the sexy deep V, just has kind of a plain black v-neck. But you know, if I was already considering an elaborate custom job where I buy two whole figures to kitbash and repaint... sculpting the fur collar would be quite easy for me.
Just as I was gritting my teeth to pay too much for the retro version, a new listing pops up... by the very same dude who just gave me a great bargain on Doctor Doom yesterday. I put in a pretty low offer, and he immediately accepted it. I like that guy!

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 16, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Probably not, but I'd come and hang since I will be living in NJ by June. I know nothing about when this Toycon is or where, though.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

OK, I'm booked up and will be in the area for the con and Governor's Ball in NY. I want to buy an early bird ticket but there's no way to do it online?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1647736716063825921?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1647820778006536193?s=46&t=-Ld7LIfVB-OUqczqShvfuA

That expression certainly is… a choice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Why would they? He is told specifically NOT to use it.

Fool! No man may order DOOM about like a common peasant!:doom:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO2U3-w4RDU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

My insane Marvel legends eBay binge continues!

I have wanted a classic Jim Lee style Cyclops for a while, and have been torn between the new VHS one with the cell shading that I hate, and the older version with a more normal color scheme but otherwise not as good of a figure. I settled on buying the VHS version with intent to scrub the lovely paint apps off it. Found an OK price on that guy.

Another character I've considered picking up for my growing Spider-Man collection is Black Cat. Part of this is that she was the most common result when I searched for "Kingpin BAF" because there was one in that wave, but it was this weird non-standard outfit. Probably why so many people are trying to get rid of it. I kept seeing her over and over, thinking well, I do like Black Cat, but I certainly don't want that version. Really nice head sculpt though, with a poo poo-eating grin that really works for that character.
I looked around a little and found it would be possible to get her in the classic outfit with the white fur, but that was an early one from the bad old days of ML, and it had a bad face sculpt and generally bad paint job. I was thinking maybe a head swap with the Kingpin version? And also a repaint? Then there's the "retro" version that is almost the best one, but generally the most expensive. She doesn't have the grin, but the face sculpt/paint are super nice, she has basically the classic outfit, and even comes with a freakin' kitty cat! You guys know how I feel about action figures that come with a kitty cat. That's the way to my heart. But that one is lacking the fur collar with the sexy deep V, just has kind of a plain black v-neck. But you know, if I was already considering an elaborate custom job where I buy two whole figures to kitbash and repaint... sculpting the fur collar would be quite easy for me.
Just as I was gritting my teeth to pay too much for the retro version, a new listing pops up... by the very same dude who just gave me a great bargain on Doctor Doom yesterday. I put in a pretty low offer, and he immediately accepted it. I like that guy!

Nice work, but Hasbro made a perfect classic Black Cat in 2014, in the wave that had Boomerang in it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like the dumb shading on the animated x-men ( we exist! There are dozens of us!)
I am bummed that I missed a few and have to chase down secondary prices though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Yeah, that expression is odd and the Bruce body is a statue that can’t move. Not a fan. The rest looks cool.

I already see people yelling at HT for introducing this so “close” to the DX19, saying the DX19 should’ve had all of the “corrected” changes this one has.

The thing is

a) Hot Toys is gonna sell you poo poo they think will make them money and minor upgrades to an existing product just makes sense as a business.

And

b) the DX19 came out in 2022 and this likely won’t be out until 2025. A three year gap between releases with a bunch of updates seems…fair to me?

Anyone saying if they knew this would be out (three years later) that they would skip the DX19 is probably lying. But even if they didn’t, why *wouldn’t* you assume an inevitable upgrade was coming? What’s the cutoff where an upgrade is acceptable? 5 years? 10? Would you wait 10 years because you knew an upgrade was coming?

C’mon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They captured the stupid face Bale makes really well, it's just an odd choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone want a bunch of new in box NECA Gargoyles? Goliath, Thailog, Demona, Hudson, Bronx

I decided I don't want to keep collecting this and haven't opened the ones I did get, so just want to offload them. I'd prefer to sell together, but can split if needed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone want a bunch of new in box NECA Gargoyles? Goliath, Thailog, Demona, Hudson, Bronx

I decided I don't want to keep collecting this and haven't opened the ones I did get, so just want to offload them. I'd prefer to sell together, but can split if needed.

I’d be interested! PM me

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Nice work, but Hasbro made a perfect classic Black Cat in 2014, in the wave that had Boomerang in it.

That appears to be the one from the Green Goblin BAF wave, which is the same "older" one I was talking about. I don't like the heavy blue wash on that one, and the face sculpt is not great. The "retro" one in my opinion is an upgrade in all ways except in the chest area. (Technically it's faithful to the design of the animated series.)

I've been thinking about which X-Men characters besides Cyclops I would definitely want. I don't know if I need the entire "main" team, when I look at certain characters they just don't spark joy, so to speak.

I do want an Archangel, and I'm kicking myself for not buying the deluxe one I saw at Target not that long ago. I strongly considered it at the time even though I was not buying a ton of Marvel guys then. It seemed expensive then, and it seems more expensive now, but it's goddamn perfect, and I'm probably just going to end up paying a lot for one. The other one that looks like it's really gonna hurt is the Jim Lee style Psylocke from the apocalypse wave. That one's going for like $60 loose, holy moly. Going to have to start looking out for a better deal, but understandably that one fetches a premium. It looks like the only time ML did her right.

Of course I could pay $104 for the lovely MAFEX Psylocke instead, and I'm sure most people here would recommend that, but to me there's something more appealing about having a collection with a consistent style and proportions, rather than going down that rabbit hole, mixing in expensive imports in the pursuit of always having the BEST version of a character.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
As far as the X-Men go, I really only care about the late 80s crew, which doesn't sound too unmanageable at first but when I think about it, it's:

Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Arch/Angel, Beast
Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Colossus, Dazzler, Havok, Longshot, Psylocke (where's my drat armour Betsy???)

But then there's also Illyana, Dani, Roberto, Sam, Karma, Warlock, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Magneto, Mystique, Spiral, Mal-Polaris, Jubilee, Gambit...and you start thinking it's close enough that you may as well throw in Cable too and before you know it, you'll be drowning in the bastards. I've just been sticking with the Mafex ones plus the ML Longshot and Spiral because I know there's no way in hell anyone else was ever going to do them. But that's where I draw the line, I don't care enough about all the 90s bobbins or any of the modern ones except for Emma, Sinister, and Magik's modern look. You can never have enough Magiks imo.

Quite chuffed to hear Jubilee is in line for the Mafex treatment anon, though even if she were to be revealed next week, it'll still be a long way off before she's in hand, pah.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I feel for those of you trying to catch up with building out X-Men or mutant teams now, trying to play catch up sucks on some of them.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have a (relatively) short list and yeah. Running into either expensive road blocks or settling for older versions.
Anyone with older cheaper versions to unload let me know! I’ll take your trash!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Good luck everyone

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1648045727749160960?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Unless they're like, losing money on each unit sold, McFarlane would be stupid as hell not to make 5x as many Batmobiles as they planned to.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, in movies I never thought I'd see figures for, a third party is apparently making the apocalypse and 4 horsemen from the X-Men movie. Apocalypse looks awesome, but his design is still goofy as hell.does come with an accessory skull and an alternate white eye headsculpt.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Unless they're like, losing money on each unit sold, McFarlane would be stupid as hell not to make 5x as many Batmobiles as they planned to.

Maybe they're backlogged fixing the random grey canopies on the cars. If mine shows up grey I am not sure if I return it or paint it.

Mr. Dukes has arrived.

This is the perfect Blob. I HATED that old one, the lumps were just gross, the face was hideous. This is what Blob looks like to me. After getting this guy it feels like there's a light at the end of the X-Men tunnel. There aren't many I can think of that I NEED that haven't been made, and made well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nerd Of Prey posted:

A toy of that size takes up an enormous amount of resources and manufacturing capacity. They can’t just crank up the Batmobile machine again, making more Batmobiles now would mean delaying or reducing other figure waves. And if they overshoot demand and end up with Batmobiles they can’t sell, that’s a huge amount of wasted warehouse/shelf space and opportunity cost of manufacturing capacity they could have spent on something else.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

on the other hand, I hope more toy manufacturers see how much people want this and make tons of 89 batman stuff. Everybody take a shot at making the batmobile, 2 seater please.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I get that it’s not as simple as “press the batmobile button again” but we’re talking about a situation where preorders sold out from every retailer on earth within minutes. When they see that kind of demand, putting other projects on hold for a bit makes sense. I don’t think they need to worry about unsold inventory sitting around.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That appears to be the one from the Green Goblin BAF wave, which is the same "older" one I was talking about. I don't like the heavy blue wash on that one, and the face sculpt is not great. The "retro" one in my opinion is an upgrade in all ways except in the chest area. (Technically it's faithful to the design of the animated series.)

I really like the Green Goblin BAF Black Cat, she’s my “perfect” classic Black Cat and she’s one of my favorite ML figures period because of it. She has some limitations (the high heels make standing a challenge) and she’s lacking some articulation but I feel including it would have compromised the sculpt in some ways, but I like the face sculpt a lot and I think it’s a really great rendition of “classic” Black Cat.

I do have the other ML Black Cats like the retro one and the “crime boss” one with the cat eyes on her shoulders, but my favorite is definitely the Green Goblin BAF one.

And she was a HELL of a step up after the disaster that was the Toy Biz Sinister Six box set Black Cat, holy poo poo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Someone should step up and do an ‘89mobile with turn grapnels, shields, and which sheds/collapses into the Returns rocket version. No more half measures!
:colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joe Fisto posted:

Mr. Dukes has arrived.

This is the perfect Blob. I HATED that old one, the lumps were just gross, the face was hideous. This is what Blob looks like to me. After getting this guy it feels like there's a light at the end of the X-Men tunnel. There aren't many I can think of that I NEED that haven't been made, and made well.

Blob is a surprisingly fantastic figure. I was expecting to have the faces bug me but they’re fantastic up close, as is the rest of the figure.

Getting Blob, Banshee and Random all at once last week has also put me to the point where there isn’t really much else I want nor need for mutants. There are some c-tier gaps still open but in general I’m done with the teams I have. Every single old and unwanted Toybiz figure has been replaced.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Louisgod posted:

There are some c-tier gaps still open but in general I’m done with the teams I have. Every single old and unwanted Toybiz figure has been replaced.

That's what I'm feeling. I would like a classic GenerationX line, we are getting a couple soon so it would be nice to have them all. I'd like a Marrow and Glob Herman for sure. I know we are getting Quentin, but I would prefer him in his t-shirt look. Him in a Magneto was Right shirt would be nice.

Oh, I've been eyeballing that pack with Banshee in it but I am holding out for a green version. Big collar would be even better.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I really like the Green Goblin BAF Black Cat, she’s my “perfect” classic Black Cat and she’s one of my favorite ML figures period because of it. She has some limitations (the high heels make standing a challenge) and she’s lacking some articulation but I feel including it would have compromised the sculpt in some ways, but I like the face sculpt a lot and I think it’s a really great rendition of “classic” Black Cat.

I do have the other ML Black Cats like the retro one and the “crime boss” one with the cat eyes on her shoulders, but my favorite is definitely the Green Goblin BAF one.

And she was a HELL of a step up after the disaster that was the Toy Biz Sinister Six box set Black Cat, holy poo poo.

I don’t mean to offend those of you who love that version. I was >this close< to buying one before I started really considering the options. I think a large part of the issue for me was that the individual examples I was looking at that were affordable on eBay had kinda sloppy paint apps, but that might not have been a widespread thing. Also I didn’t think the face sculpt was bad exactly, but it was very neutral and I saw more personality in the others. The subtle eye shadow on the retro one is really cool. I really don’t mind the more limited articulation either as long as they look good.

My favorite face is still the grinning one from crime boss Cat. Black Cat is “not Catwoman for legal reasons” to kind of an absurd degree, but she has that manic personality that sets her apart.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joe Fisto posted:

That's what I'm feeling. I would like a classic GenerationX line, we are getting a couple soon so it would be nice to have them all. I'd like a Marrow and Glob Herman for sure. I know we are getting Quentin, but I would prefer him in his t-shirt look. Him in a Magneto was Right shirt would be nice.

Oh, I've been eyeballing that pack with Banshee in it but I am holding out for a green version. Big collar would be even better.

I'm pretty sure Dwight's said it's the last figure he'll ever make in a Legends line before he retires so very possible it may be a while.

Great thing about that 3-pack though is not only is Banshee the standout, but you can replace the heads on the old Psylocke and Gambit figures and it turns them into must-haves. I used the leftover Gambit body for a Toybiz Morph sans jacket. The X-Men shelf I've wanted for decades is finally complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I don’t mean to offend those of you who love that version. I was >this close< to buying one before I started really considering the options. I think a large part of the issue for me was that the individual examples I was looking at that were affordable on eBay had kinda sloppy paint apps, but that might not have been a widespread thing. Also I didn’t think the face sculpt was bad exactly, but it was very neutral and I saw more personality in the others. The subtle eye shadow on the retro one is really cool. I really don’t mind the more limited articulation either as long as they look good.

My favorite face is still the grinning one from crime boss Cat. Black Cat is “not Catwoman for legal reasons” to kind of an absurd degree, but she has that manic personality that sets her apart.

I've seen some of the GG BAF ones with bad paint apps on the face, but I got lucky and mine is flawless.

I think I'd like the headsculpt on the retro one more if it was unique - if I remember right it's a straight reuse of the '00s Carol Danvers Ms Marvel/Moonstone head. Which, I mean, it works, but as someone who owns both of those other figures the reuse kind of chafes a little.

For what it's worth, while Catwoman as "cat-themed thief" predated Black Cat, in terms of the modern "sultry antihero/sometimes hero/sometimes villain on-again-off-again love interest" persona, Black Cat did it before Catwoman did.