Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tentril
May 9, 2012
Hey I bought Bass Fitness and it hurts. If I get sore from doing exercise for a while is that from bad technique or is that just "feeling the burn"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

oh wait, here we go:

drat dude, I've been looking for this gif forever. Know where I can find the original video?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bruce Boxliker posted:

drat dude, I've been looking for this gif forever. Know where I can find the original video?

Nah, and every time it pops up, it keeps getting taken down. Apparently the band behind it takes their hilarious lack of talent super seriously.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

tentril posted:

Hey I bought Bass Fitness and it hurts. If I get sore from doing exercise for a while is that from bad technique or is that just "feeling the burn"?

Yeah, if your fingers/hands are moving and stretching in ways that it really wasn't before then you are just "feeling the burn". Just like when you practiced for awhile for the first time and your fingers hurt because you don't have any callouses .

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

tentril posted:

Sore is normal, but if you feel pain, stop immediately.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

tentril posted:

Also check your setup. If your action is really high, you'll burn out faster. I dropped the action on one of my basses just so I could practice with less fatigue.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anyone want to buy an iAMP 500, Aguilar GS112 w/cover or my sweet frankenstein blocks/tort/burst SX PJ bass?

Baer Valkyrie deposits are coming due soon. :cool:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Pics of the SX?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I would like that GS112 but shipping across the country would make it more than I wanna spend.

What made you want to switch to the Baers?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

There are a few reasons that kind of converged into me wanting to switch to the Baers. My AG500 & dual GS112 rig is underpowered for my loudest band (not by a lot, but by enough.) I sold my GS412 to get the 112's, and I really don't want to have another fridge-sized cabinet, but I need both more power and louder speakers. I was looking at fEarfuls and other 3012/3015 based cabs due to the crazy output of those new speakers, and the Baer 112's seem like they're the best option of them all: they're light, use a custom 3012 in between the deep sub response of the 3012LF and the extended response of the 3012HO, and they were designed specifically to work well when some crunch is involved.

So I was leaning towards the ML112's, and then I read about the head. My two favorite preamps I've owned for bass have been the Aguilar DB680 and the SWR Interstellar Overdrive, and I've always dreamed about having a head that kind of smashed them together - and the Valkyrie seems like it's that. Super clean studio-level preamp with lots of EQ, with a real tube power section with a real output transformer behind it that you can drive, but run into a big toroidal monoblock power amp that's 2ohm compatible so if I ever wanted more output I could add another 112. I think it's going to be incredible, and since the ML112's were created explicitly to reproduce the Valkyrie I think the combination will be double incredible.

I still love Aguilar stuff (and have a lot of love for them as a company - great support and still NYC built,) but they have kind of a hole in their head lineup between the TH500 and DB750, and those are very tonally similar. Their neo 112's also sound decent, but perform much worse than a 3012 loaded cab.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been seriously considering one of those Baer 112s as well, but I'm waiting to see what the consensus is on the new Berg NV115. The idea of a sealed 15/6 really appeals to me, especially since I just bought a Streamliner.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm thinking about picking up a 4-string non-lined fretless. Any recommendations? Price range is < $1500. Something substantially different from my Stingray 5.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 18, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Dominoes posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a 4-string fretless. Any recommendations? Price range is < $1500. Something substantially different from my Stingray 5.

http://www.birdsongguitars.com/inventory.htm
The Embrace on that page is $1250 with a hardcase and very different from your ray

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
What sort of sound are you looking for?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

The Embrace on that page is $1250 with a hardcase and very different from your ray
Looks nice, other than it being short scale. I'd like a ~34" scale. (or fanned fingerings...)

cactuscarpet posted:

What sort of sound are you looking for?
Something good / I don't know. Whatever sound you like.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Just get the best fretless jazz you can afford. That's like the default fretless sound...

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

May do that if I can't find something better.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

Lakland skyline, perhaps? I love my fretless 5, despite having some serious lust for a roscoe I played last week.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Revvik posted:

Pics of the SX?

It's a combination of their sunburst PJ and their rosewood w/blocks jazz, plus a Fender tort guard and tug bar, wearing LaBella flats. It still has a few high frets, but any SX you get will have a few. I just haven't had the chance to fix it. It's a fine bass, but I think I want to re-make the same thing with Warmoth parts or just get a "real" P-bass.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well poo poo.

Old setup: Schecter Omen-Extreme 4 into Ampeg Portaflex 500 w/ Peavey Headliner 410 cab, Tech21 Sansamp in the FX loop? No issues.

New setup: Mustang Pawn Shop into the exact same?

Speakers making a very farty sound with any gain applied, impossible to get a clean tone out of it.

I'm going to try putting the driver before the head and tweaking to clean it up, but either my (less than one year old) cab ate itself or I don't even know. 115 time?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does it sound OK through anything else? Makes me think of when I raised my pickups to an extreme, they'd distort pretty hardcore with any real force (although lowering the amp gain and tweaking EQ got it controlled)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I don't really have any other amp for comparison. When I get home from work I'm going to try tweaking the EQ and swapping the Sansamp's position. The gain is already pretty drat low when the speakers started making GBS threads themselves, but it only occurred on the low E after the F, 13th fret. Having the gain this low gets me drowned out by everyone else.

If it still gives me issues I'll drag my rig to a shop and play with some 2x10s and 1x15s. Still, if there could be anything I've missed...

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Dominoes posted:

Looks nice, other than it being short scale. I'd like a ~34" scale. (or fanned fingerings...)

Something good / I don't know. Whatever sound you like.

Well, what do you want a fretless for?

Don't spend $1500 on a fretless if you just want to muck about with one. I have a Squier for that purpose and it really sounds great and is very playable. It was like 200 euro.

If your motivation is "I want to sound like this or that bassist" then just get whatever they play or whatever comes closest.

cactuscarpet fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 20, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHYnLOjG9V8

Something about the US national anthem being played on a fretless bass makes me :lol:

Maybe it's just his ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka run that does it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

cactuscarpet posted:

Well, what do you want a fretless for?

Don't spend $1500 on a fretless if you just want to muck about with one. I have a Squier for that purpose and it really sounds great and is very playable. It was like 200 euro.

If your motivation is "I want to sound like this or that bassist" then just get whatever they play or whatever comes closest.
It doesn't have to cost $1500; that's an estimated upper limit. Your guess's pretty good - I want it to muck around with, and to improve my pitch sense. I'd prefer something that's awesome in its own right, and don't mind paying for a better product. Life's too short to buy cheap. My parents bought me a Stingray in high school. It's still awesome, and I've never felt a need to replace it. In contrast, I was never really happy with the initial $200 Yamaha I had before it.

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Lakland skyline, perhaps? I love my fretless 5, despite having some serious lust for a roscoe I played last week.
That looks like what I'm looking for. Going to try to find one in stock.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 21, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

LordPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHYnLOjG9V8

Something about the US national anthem being played on a fretless bass makes me :lol:

Maybe it's just his ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka run that does it.

Liberty and justice and jazz-rock fusion for all :patriot:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

That looks like what I'm looking for. Going to try to find one in stock.

You've got a few choices with Lakland too. The 44/55-01, 02, and 60 are all available with lined fretless necks.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

You've got a few choices with Lakland too. The 44/55-01, 02, and 60 are all available with lined fretless necks.
After some research, finding one of these may be easier said than done!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

After some research, finding one of these may be easier said than done!

Yeah, every once in a while a big chain store like Guitar Center or the like will get one in. But unless it's a shop dedicated to more boutique-style basses, you might be out of luck. I ordered my first Lakland sight-unseen and don't regret it one bit, but I can't really recommend that route.

If you do decide you're set on buying one, you can always order one from Lakland directly. They're customer service is top notch.

Come to think of it, I ordered my Hollowbody from them sight unseen too...

In short I can say nothing bad about Lakland and I am a legitimate whore for them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Yeah, every once in a while a big chain store like Guitar Center or the like will get one in. But unless it's a shop dedicated to more boutique-style basses, you might be out of luck. I ordered my first Lakland sight-unseen and don't regret it one bit, but I can't really recommend that route.

If you do decide you're set on buying one, you can always order one from Lakland directly. They're customer service is top notch.

Come to think of it, I ordered my Hollowbody from them sight unseen too...

In short I can say nothing bad about Lakland and I am a legitimate whore for them.

I live in a poo poo town, so may have to buy sight unseen. Going to DC this weekend and will check out stores then, but still think it's unlikely. The only one I can find online is a Hollowbody, but if I can order from Lakland direct and wait a bit, that's fine.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I think I've heard good things about these guys online http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/skyline_4401_4402.shtml

but I'm not certain so you should double check

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TopherCStone posted:

I think I've heard good things about these guys online http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/skyline_4401_4402.shtml

but I'm not certain so you should double check

These guys are amazing. They inspect the instruments multiple times before shipping and they do an excellent job all around. Very easy to worth with and contact too.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
poo poo yeah. Beaver is a completely awesome guy. Phone him. He'll 100% make sure that whatever he sends out is absolutely perfect. I'd order from Beaver before even considering ordering from the factory.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

I live in a poo poo town, so may have to buy sight unseen. Going to DC this weekend and will check out stores then, but still think it's unlikely. The only one I can find online is a Hollowbody, but if I can order from Lakland direct and wait a bit, that's fine.

Supposedly Jive Sound in Alexandria, VA is a Lakland Dealer, granted that's not exactly IN D.C... But yeah, that's the closest dealer listed on lakland's site. Though it may be out of date. I'd just do a search for shops in and around D.C. and call and ask if they have any Laklands.

And yeah, Bass Central is legit.

If you want a basic rundown of what you can expect from each of the models tone-wise, let me know. But there are plenty of vids and soundclips out there on youtube and Lakland's site to give you a really good idea of the tones of each.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 22, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Yeah, looking back to when I found them I'm pretty sure they're the company everyone recommended when I wanted to get a Duck Dunn signature (which I never ended up getting :cry:)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TopherCStone posted:

Yeah, looking back to when I found them I'm pretty sure they're the company everyone recommended when I wanted to get a Duck Dunn signature (which I never ended up getting :cry:)

I was kinda sad when they stopped with all the "signature" models (except for the DJ). I mean, I get the whole numbering system they're using now... But yeah, 44-64 Custom just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Duck Dunn Signature" :\

Still plays and sounds awesome though...

I've been hankering for a 5'er lately, I may see if I can't get my hands on either the new DJ5 or just go for a 55-02. I absolutely love the versatility of my 44-02, but the j-retro pre sounds pretty awesome as well.

edit: Each year they'll do a special run of Skylines in special colors that aren't usually offered. I know 2011 had an awesome blue color, and 2012 was tobacco burst with flame maple. I think 2013 is spalted.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 22, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If Lakland ever makes a sunburst PJ skyline duck dunn I'll get one.

Although I just ordered my ML112 pair so my wife may not allow me to purchase further musical equipment. This may be my first time ever buying amplification new, and it is painful.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If Lakland ever makes a sunburst PJ skyline duck dunn I'll get one.

They've done special orders like that for the Lakland Owners Group and folks on TalkBass before, but you need a particular number of committals to have them do it. I can't remember how many they require though... It has something to do with how many are in each batch they get from their factory.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The plastic nut on my bass just snapped in half. Like, the top half came off, not the entire nut.
What are the chances I can get away with supergluing it back together and having it work?
Can't say I've had this happen before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

NarkyBark posted:

The plastic nut on my bass just snapped in half. Like, the top half came off, not the entire nut.
What are the chances I can get away with supergluing it back together and having it work?
Can't say I've had this happen before...

It would be better in the long run to either have a new nut made or make one yourself.