Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Blue FZ6=best bike. Gonna try and do a track day in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Socratse posted:

I thought I've already posted pics of my bike, but I don't think I did. Either way I haven't posted it lookin' this good or in my current configuration

Love the hugger

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Got it! 2000 Yamaha XT225, way overpaid for it but bike prices here are stupid and it's my first bike so I'm telling myself it's ok.

First order of business is replacing the chain and sprockets, pull off some of the metal bits like the pillion grab handles (already removed them before taking this picture), glass blasting the rust off of them at work and repainting them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

stevobob posted:

Got it! 2000 Yamaha XT225, way overpaid for it but bike prices here are stupid and it's my first bike so I'm telling myself it's ok.

First order of business is replacing the chain and sprockets, pull off some of the metal bits like the pillion grab handles (already removed them before taking this picture), glass blasting the rust off of them at work and repainting them.

Those are great little bikes, I'm always watching craigslist for a cheap one. Can go pretty much anywhere you're tempted to ride it. Have fun and good first bike choice.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Took a ride down to the coast, stopped to get something to drink..

Goddamn, I know its an almost 30 year old, completely stock Honda 650, but when it gets up past 7k it sounds like Lemmy from Motorhead and its loving awesome.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

^^ drat I love that bike. Old bike love is the best love.

I'm down in San Diego for a week visiting friends on my break and my friend let me take his dad's Bandit 600 out with him for a ride around San Marcos. Was pretty fun. :)

Was a bit of a challenge keeping up with his RC51's acceleration but he was a great leader despite having no turn signals or brake lights and had I not forgotten my pucks I'm fairly certain I'd be paying his dad for new fairings have gotten a knee down. Just don't tell his dad that. :ssh:

Also it's completely night and day between my B12. I'd say it was less powerful than my old SV but it's nice being able to hammer a bike everywhere and not worry about going plaid.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'll have you know that trusted forum veteran and connoisseur of motorcycles, mootmoot has this to say about the Bandit line of motorcycles.

mootmoot posted:

I feel compassion for anyone who has suffered the burden of a bike like this.

:colbert:

(I want a bandit 1250 or a GSX 1400. Bad.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think by "suffering the burden" he's referring to the weight of it on your leg.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

I think by "suffering the burden" he's referring to the weight of it on your leg.

They are quite heavy bikes, that's true.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

The inertia is mind boggling to him.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cross post from the ninja 250 thread, my first bike:

boring? perhaps, but I'm having fun on it. I noticed from looking at some of these other bike pics that I installed my bar end handlebars upside down, but I think I'm gonna keep it that way because it looks cool

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those are great little bikes, I'm always watching craigslist for a cheap one. Can go pretty much anywhere you're tempted to ride it. Have fun and good first bike choice.

Thanks. I'm really enjoying it so far, it's quick enough and comfortable and I love it. :3:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ola posted:

If mootmoot did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
First ride after excitedly putting the tires & new chain on. Ninja 250, almost brand new, except for the fact that it had been sitting for six years WITH gas in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DvY94O6SPg

Just finished putting all the fairings & rear end back on- taking it to work tomorrow and then maybe, maybe it'll be OK for the girlfriend to ride. :haw:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

First ride after excitedly putting the tires & new chain on. Ninja 250, almost brand new, except for the fact that it had been sitting for six years WITH gas in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DvY94O6SPg

Just finished putting all the fairings & rear end back on- taking it to work tomorrow and then maybe, maybe it'll be OK for the girlfriend to ride. :haw:

I support Ninja 250s, girlfriends that ride, rehabilitating badly cared for bikes and being excited about that first ride, but please please please wear your gear even if you're just going around the block.

edit: Sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending. Just don't want to see a very happy day turn into a very terrible day.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 26, 2012

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

I support Ninja 250s, girlfriends that ride, rehabilitating badly cared for bikes and being excited about that first ride, but please please please wear your gear even if you're just going around the block.

edit: Sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending. Just don't want to see a very happy day turn into a very terrible day.

I very clearly wasn't hitting up the twisties. Ran it up and down the street I'm front of my house once- boots, gloves and lid are good enough for that.

CA is getting pretty crazy with the safety evangelism.

edit: prepped in case I have a motorcycle dream tonight.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

FormatAmerica posted:

I very clearly wasn't hitting up the twisties. Ran it up and down the street I'm front of my house once- boots, gloves and lid are good enough for that.

Your choice, but even if I crashed at 20mph, I'd rather be in gloves and a jacket than bare skin.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

FormatAmerica posted:

:rolleyes: tinted visor at night

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

FormatAmerica posted:

You better strap down that blanket, or it will flap around and cause chafing.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

The products of the Daotian No 1 bedstead company are not sold as personal protective equipment. That bedstead would be unsafe in an imaginary crash.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

Your choice, but even if I crashed at 20mph, I'd rather be in gloves and a jacket than bare skin.

I think he gets it buddy but if you want to have the last word by all means...

FormatAmerica posted:

Hah.

irc.synirc.org #bieks for the more relaxed CA

here's my bike. It's the same as the last time I posted it

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 26, 2012

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

That picture made me giggle. Well played.

Look, I don't think you're a bad person, and I assume that like most people here, you wear ATGATT or at least most of the time. I'm not perfect; I've ridden around the corner to the driveway wearing less. But plenty of people have gone down or gotten hit on the street in front of their house. I knew a guy who was killed at the end of his. I'm not saying you're going to die, but it also wasn't obvious that you were just going up and down the street. And more importantly, there are (I hope) people lurking this forum who are getting excited about bikes or thinking about getting their first and it would be irresponsible not to say something for their sake, at least.

nsaP's right, of course. I don't need to have the last word, but I don't want to derail the thread so maybe this should be the end of it. Here's a picture of me not practicing what I preach. Kids, don't do what I done.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

that one guy chad fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 28, 2017

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

That picture made me giggle. Well played.

Here's to keepin' it safe :cheers:

Here it is completely cleaned up/re-assembled & after a successful and problem-free ride to work. Kind of annoying to get it wound up to decent road speeds, I'll keep my torquey Gladius.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 26, 2012

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FormatAmerica posted:

Here's to keepin' it safe :cheers:

Here it is completely cleaned up/re-assembled & after a successful and problem-free ride to work. Kind of annoying to get it wound up to decent road speeds, I'll keep my torquey Gladius.

It's all about perspective, my ninja feels like a loving rocket compared to my only other vehicle, a Yaris

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ADINSX posted:

It's all about perspective, my ninja feels like a loving rocket compared to my only other vehicle, a Yaris

Perspective it is. I often enjoy my 12hp enduro in the city over my 100hp Ulysses - there's just something a lot of fun about pinning the throttle everywhere, shifting through the first three gears by the crosswalk on the other side of the intersection each time the light turns green, and only being able to do 60mph max.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Unfortunately my FZ6 got rear ended in a round about leading to minor frame damage which in turn lead to it getting totaled. After nearly a month with no motorcycle I found one that I liked and went half way across the state to get it: a Triumph Sprint ST. I really liked the Yamaha, but why buy the same bike twice when there are so many I want to ride.

It's short the hard bags because apparently the first owner did the old get off the bike and leave the kick stand up trick and it tipped over, killing the left bag. He then got rid of the other one since he didn't want to be asymmetrical like certain manufacturers. Compared to the FZ6:

Pros
ENGINE, it has big torque right away, it revs out farther than a twin, and it sounds so nice, especially the burble off the throttle.

There is a lot less turbulence when at highway speeds, and it is a lot more stable in cross winds, probably due to being about 70 pounds heavier.

I think it feels much more stable leaned over than the FZ6.

Little things like an accessory outlet, heated grips, adjustable front suspension (more of a big thing) and the valve stems coming out the wheel and turning 90 degrees so they face the side of the bike instead of the axle.

Gas mileage is around 45 for mixed driving and over 50 for all highway, which is better than my FZ6 would get.

Cons
The instruments are poo poo compared to the FZ6, the LCD is backlit in hard to read blue (what the gently caress Triumph, this is a solved problem make it red like everyone else), I miss the reserve trip meter and a actual number for coolant temp rather than some bars, the speedometer is very optimistic.

Engine feels kind of hot on the legs in the 80-90 degree weather we've been getting if I'm not wearing my overpants, but not nearly as bad as the 2006 model I test rode, that was verging on painful.

The weight, which is not really a factor in motion, but moving the bike around in my garage or putting it on the center stand I can really feel the difference.

Overall I've been happy with it in this last week that I've had it. That's still the honeymoon period I guess, so here's hoping some strange British electrical gremlins don't pop up. Now all I have to do is get some bags and take it down to Indy for the MotoGP.

Here's a more zoomed out picture with an idyllic papermill in the background.

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 27, 2012

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

NinjaCthulhu posted:

FZ6 to Sprint
Thanks for posting this. I am an FZ6 owner looking to move up to a bigger sport tourer. Sprint looks good without the hard bags. Give us an update after you've put some miles on it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Checked out mountain loop highway with little brother and a friend. My brother's duc is hot.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 1, 2012

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had my photographer friend/goon meet me on the side of a road and take some pictures the other day.

I felt so much faster than I looked.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Deeters posted:

I had my photographer friend/goon meet me on the side of a road and take some pictures the other day.

I felt so much faster than I looked.

Get low bro!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nice Buell :hfive:

What year? Is that a 9 or a 12?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I probably could have gone faster and lower, but the number of big trucks and cars coming way over the yellow line was sobering.

clutchpuck posted:

Nice Buell :hfive:

What year? Is that a 9 or a 12?

It's an '03 9.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Those things are sexy. Good buy. But yeah, I've maneuvered some of those ST triples around before, topheavy as hell.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Those things are sexy. Good buy. But yeah, I've maneuvered some of those ST triples around before, topheavy as hell.

I can't believe how different it looks without the luggage. I've always been interested in getting a sport tourer, but my biggest gripe with them has always been how bulky they look, but that thing is pretty.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

orthod0ks posted:

I can't believe how different it looks without the luggage. I've always been interested in getting a sport tourer, but my biggest gripe with them has always been how bulky they look, but that thing is pretty.

It is one of the sveltest sport touring bikes out there. If you ever see an FJR with no bags it still looks like a pig.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

They've got a sweet engine in them too, test ride it.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

My fiancee and I bought a 1973 CL 350 a month or so ago. It's her daily rider and holy poo poo is it a great bike. It's ride is smooth as a baby's butt and it's in absolutely pristine condition.

Also, it's sexy as fuuuuuuck.

I love it. It's both of ours' first bike, and we made a killer choice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have a parts bike that I am slowly turning back into a running bike in exactly that color. "Electric puke", I call it.

Can't argue that it is a sweeeeet ride though. Perfect for tooling around town. Put some Bridgestone dual-sport tires on it (TW39 front, TW26 rear) and go rip up some dusty trails and grassy fields!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Friend took some pics. Here are some choice ones:

I think I'm going to be selling this bike soon, which I may grow to regret. I need a car in my life and if it works financially I want to get a Repsol, 999s, or S1000RR to have fun on. So yea, I'll let you guys know.