Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Kindle Touch update 5.10 now with landscape mode:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200790650#download

New features in this update include:

* Language Support: Customize your Kindle Touch with the language you prefer: English (US and UK), German, French, Spanish, Italian, or Brazilian Portuguese.
* Landscape Mode: Switch between portrait and landscape orientation in books and PDFs to read maps, graphs, and tables more easily.
* Instant Translations: Tap any word or highlight a section to instantly translate into other languages, including Spanish, Japanese, and more. Translations by Bing Translator.
* Kindle Format 8: Formatting and layout improvements make Kindle books look even better.
* Wi-Fi Enhancements: Connect your Kindle Touch to Wi-Fi with WPS and select WPA2 Enterprise networks.
* Read-to-Me With Text-to-Speech: Have your Kindle Touch read English-language content out loud to you, now including summaries of newspaper and magazine articles when available from the publisher.
* More Sharing Options: Tell others what you're reading on Facebook or Twitter from anywhere within a book — just tap to share a link along with your comments.
* Onscreen Keyboard Suggestions: Search and shop faster with automatic word suggestions as you type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have two questions, one of which might not be suited to this thread but I couldn't find any other relevant thread in the CC forums.

Firstly, I have a Kindle2 and cannot find any definite answer about hacking screensavers for it. Is it actually possible to do so with the Kindle2 or am I going to have to deal with it till it finally runs out and I upgrade?

Secondly, in terms of making ebooks how does one go about it? I know Calibre can convert documents and text files into E-book form but I was wondering if there was an actual e-book creator that would give you control of chapters, formatting and such? If Calibre does indeed have this advanced function, then I apologise.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

demolina posted:

Firstly, I have a Kindle2 and cannot find any definite answer about hacking screensavers for it. Is it actually possible to do so with the Kindle2 or am I going to have to deal with it till it finally runs out and I upgrade?

Here is one guide.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_2_US,_Int%27l_and_Kindle_DX_Screen_Saver_Hack

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

chippy posted:

Also, does anyone take theirs in/out of their case a lot? I like to stick the Kindle in a sandwich bag and read it in the bath sometimes, but the whole mechanism seems like it might wear a bit if I'm doing that a lot.

I take mine out a lot, whenever I'm reading in the light. I haven't noticed any huge problems.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

900ftjesus posted:

New features in this update include:

* Language Support: Customize your Kindle Touch with the language you prefer: English (US and UK), German, French, Spanish, Italian, or Brazilian Portuguese.
* Landscape Mode: Switch between portrait and landscape orientation in books and PDFs to read maps, graphs, and tables more easily.
* Instant Translations: Tap any word or highlight a section to instantly translate into other languages, including Spanish, Japanese, and more. Translations by Bing Translator.
* Kindle Format 8: Formatting and layout improvements make Kindle books look even better.
* Wi-Fi Enhancements: Connect your Kindle Touch to Wi-Fi with WPS and select WPA2 Enterprise networks.
* Read-to-Me With Text-to-Speech: Have your Kindle Touch read English-language content out loud to you, now including summaries of newspaper and magazine articles when available from the publisher.
* More Sharing Options: Tell others what you're reading on Facebook or Twitter from anywhere within a book — just tap to share a link along with your comments.
* Onscreen Keyboard Suggestions: Search and shop faster with automatic word suggestions as you type.
This is great, but I guess we're never getting the progress bar back :(

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cheers for the input, chaps.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

900ftjesus posted:

Has anybody done this to a jailbroken Kindle yet?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

lostleaf posted:

I wonder if this is good news or bad news for barnes and nobles? It seems like the market for ebooks is between Amazon, apple and BN. It is definitely bad news for Apple.

Bad news. BN does not have the cash pile to discount books from wholesale like amazon can.

Apparently, all the money amazon makes from EC2 and S3 can basically subsidize their loss leaders, like ebooks. Basically none of the other ebook stores have anything like that, except maybe for Apple, who clearly has/had no interest in doing the same thing.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 12, 2012

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

RichterIX posted:

Has anybody done this to a jailbroken Kindle yet?

looks like YMMV so far. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175083

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Armacham posted:

looks like YMMV so far. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175083

Summary: uninstall all packages, uninstall the jailbreak, then apply the update

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight is official.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-hands-on/

$40 premium over the non-lighted model. Pre-orders are up now, shipping in May.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

bull3964 posted:

Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight is official.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-hands-on/

$40 premium over the non-lighted model. Pre-orders are up now, shipping in May.

Honestly, this looks like it will cause just as much eye strain as some people purport to get from LCD screens (at least on max brightness). I'm glad it's lighter and the battery life is better, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it's going to be the same as any lighted book/ebook in a dark room. No better, no worse.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

$40 more?

That's dumb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amazon is really the one that set the price. The lighted Kindle case costs $60 and there are a ton of good quality nook covers for $20. It all comes out even in the end.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Well, it's going to be the same as any lighted book/ebook in a dark room. No better, no worse.

I don't know. Looking at the picture in the article, it looks like it throws a hell of a lot of light outwards, just like a backlit screen would.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

spixxor posted:

I don't know. Looking at the picture in the article, it looks like it throws a hell of a lot of light outwards, just like a backlit screen would.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/12/2943905/barnes-noble-nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-pricing-availability

It's edge lit. There's just a special coating on the screen itself to diffuse the light. It is not backlit.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/12/2943905/barnes-noble-nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-pricing-availability

It's edge lit. There's just a special coating on the screen itself to diffuse the light. It is not backlitt.

I know. I'm saying out looks like it throws just as much light outwards as one, though, going by that picture.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BN says the battery life is exactly the same without the light - 2 months at 30 minutes a day. With the light on (probably on lowest brightness) the battery life is 1 month at 30 minutes day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's also lighter too, which is a bit odd. So, they must have done some optimization inside.

I wonder if newer non-lighted models are going to end up lighter as well as they flush stock.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
The rooted android thread just seems to be about phones so I'll ask here. How do I root a nook color?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

The rooted android thread just seems to be about phones so I'll ask here. How do I root a nook color?

Second result on Google:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet.ars

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

Actually, that's the thread, you should ask there.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ahaha, the publishers are freaking out over the price fixing lawsuit:

quote:

“Amazon must be unbelievably happy today,” said Michael Norris, a book publishing analyst with Simba Information. “Had they been puppeteering this whole play, it could not have worked out better for them.”

quote:

HarperCollins, Hachette and Simon & Schuster settled the charges Wednesday, leaving the other two, Penguin and Macmillan, and Apple to fight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/business/media/amazon-to-cut-e-book-prices-shaking-rivals.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=igw

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vertigus posted:

Ahaha, the publishers are freaking out over the price fixing lawsuit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/business/media/amazon-to-cut-e-book-prices-shaking-rivals.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=igw

Ha, that's almost as good as the freakout from Apple fanboys. I saw an interview with the editor of cnet where he pretty much said that the government was only going after Apple because they are the biggest company in the company in the world and some government official was trying to make a name for themselves.

I'll never understand the doom and gloom stance the publishers have taken regarding ebooks. You think not having to deal with a physical product would be a good thing but nope, it's apparently not enough to keep their ship afloat.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sporadic posted:

I'll never understand the doom and gloom stance the publishers have taken regarding ebooks. You think not having to deal with a physical product would be a good thing but nope, it's apparently not enough to keep their ship afloat.

eBooks threaten publishers' business models, much like broadband internet access threatens Comcast's by competing with cable TV. You can tell the publishers are trying to impede progress to fight their own irrelevancy because the public reason they give is that "lower eBook prices devalue books".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
YOU MADMAN!

DON'T YOU SEE????!?!!?

If you pay only 9.99 for a copy of Breaking Dawn, instead of 12.99 for it, that's 3 WHOLE AMERICAN INTERNET DOLLARS WORTH OF ENJOYMENT YOU LOSE OUT ON!!!!

You are devaluing the book! It's like saying the book is a piece of trash that you would use to wipe your rear end, if you had the freedom to print the pages out (which, you don't because you are a criminal and can't be trusted with policing your own book library).

WHY DON'T YOU LOVE YOUR BOOKS MORE?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

MrBond posted:

The publishers had been agitating since 2008 for a way around amazon's pricing, so I'm not sure that you can say apple had instigated the whole thing. To me, it seems like the publishers were more obviously colluding. The NYT has some anecdote about how the publishing house CEOs got together in restaurants and bitched together over dinners about it, though there may be some storyteller spin on that, depending on the conversations.

The MFN clause is interesting, and probably the center of the whole case I think. The agency model itself seems like it wouldn't be a problem, and in the context that Apple does every other digital media sale on that with 30% commission it's predictable on that front.

I look forward to a real lawyer's analysis of things :)

You should check out the DOJ's complaint filing. The publishers did want to get away from Amazon's pricing, but the complaint makes the case that Apple was central in fomenting the collusion between the publishers and bringing it to fruition. And yes, maybe Apple gets 30% from other digital media sales like music, but none of those are on the agency model; only ebooks are on the agency model, the model Apple pushed for to force that 30% margin they want as their "commission". Digital music is on the wholesale model like ebooks used to be.

quote:

52. Apple soon concluded, though, that competition from other retailers - especially Amazon - would prevent Apple from earing its desired 30 percent margins on e-book sales. Ultimately, Apple, together with the Publisher Defendants, set in motion a plan that would compel all non-Apple e-book retailers also to sign onto agency or else, as Apple's CEO put it, the Publisher Defendants all would say "we're not going to give you the books."

56. Apple saw a way to turn the agency scheme into a highly profitable model for itself. Apple determined to give the Publisher Defendants what they wanted while shielding itself from retail price competition and realizing margins far in excess of what e-book retailers then averaged on each newly released or bestselling e-book sold. Apple realized that, as a result of the scheme, "the customer" would "pay[] a little more."

58. ... Apple proposed that the Publisher Defendants require all retailers of their e-books to accept the agency model. Apple thereby sought to ensure that it would not have to compete on retail prices. The proposal appealed to the Publisher Defendants because wrestling pricing control from Amazon and other e-book retailers would advance their collusive plan to raise retail e-book prices.

65. ...That is, instead of an MFN designed to protect Apple's ability to compete, this MFN was designed to protect Apple from having to compete on price at all, while still maintaining Apple's 30 percent margin.

71. ...According to Jobs, the Apple deal offered the Publisher Defendants a superior alternative path to the higher retail e-book prices they sought: "Throw in with Apple and see if we can all make a go of this to create a real mainstream e-books market at $12.99 and $14.99."

Who knows how much the DOJ can actually prove in court, but it's clear there was a lot of shady poo poo going down and in the end the publishers and Apple restrained competition and raised prices by these shenanigans that changed the way books have been sold for the past century or so. We have all paid more for ebooks so Apple can get the 30% they wanted and only have to compete with amazon and others on presentation, normally Apple's strength, which hasn't gone well.

The funny part is quoted from a cnet article that the publishers were actually making more money per ebook sold before the agency model:

quote:

But here's the irony of the agency model: It wasn't about making more money in the short term, even though e-book prices went up. Publishers raised prices and made less money per e-book copy sold.

Take that $24.99 list price. Let's say the e-book would have sold for $9.99 at Amazon in the old days but now the publisher charges the consumer $12.99:

Wholesale model e-book:
Publisher: $12.50 (roughly 50 percent of $24.99 hardcover retail price)
Amazon: -$2.50 (selling at $9.99)

Agency model e-book:
Publisher: $9.09 (70 percent of $12.99)
E-bookseller: $3.90 (30 percent of $12.99)

This wasn't a story of money-grubbing publishers trying to stick it to consumers. They actually left money on the table.

The result: The e-book marketplace competition that publishers wanted began to take place. Rather than competing on price, e-book sellers like Apple, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and others have, up until now, mainly been competing on user experience.

The most I've paid for ebooks was $15 bucks, for each of Shelby Foote's The Civil War. Was it worth it? Yea, it was, because a lot of effort was put into the 1000 page books with good formatting, maps, I think I only caught few errant letters, and they were still a little bit cheaper than the print books. But there are a lot of ebooks I'd like to buy that are just priced too high, too high for the content, too high in relation to print books. I read somewhere that ereader owners on average read more and buy a lot more books compared to print only readers, and I've bought a lot of full priced ebooks, but more and more I'm watching for deals as some as the ones I really want are just not worth the listed price. It frustrates me reading about all this ebook price fixing crap and I hope the DOJ really sticks it to the holdouts.

Wall of loving quotes here, goddamn.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

WHY DON'T YOU LOVE YOUR BOOKS MORE?
'Cause by all accounts, it's not our book, it's yours and we just have a licence to look at it and that's it.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

The funny part is quoted from a cnet article that the publishers were actually making more money per ebook sold before the agency model:

The fact that they're willing to make less money and push up prices is pretty telling. I get that they're worried that cheap ebooks put downward pressure on hardcovers, but as more and more people keeping going with ebooks, hardcovers are becoming more irrelevant anyways. Hell, under agency, ebooks can even be more expensive than a paperback.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Hondo82 posted:

I'm glad to hear about a well-formatted ebook :)

Ebook stores need a parallel review system that allows users to give feedback on the technical and aesthetic aspects of the ebooks they're downloading

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I'm glad to hear about a well-formatted ebook :)

Ebook stores need a parallel review system that allows users to give feedback on the technical and aesthetic aspects of the ebooks they're downloading

yeah because I just love it when the book I'm reading has a "1" for every fifth "I"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hondo82 posted:

You should check out the DOJ's complaint filing. The publishers did want to get away from Amazon's pricing, but the complaint makes the case that Apple was central in fomenting the collusion between the publishers and bringing it to fruition. And yes, maybe Apple gets 30% from other digital media sales like music, but none of those are on the agency model; only ebooks are on the agency model, the model Apple pushed for to force that 30% margin they want as their "commission". Digital music is on the wholesale model like ebooks used to be.

Who knows how much the DOJ can actually prove in court, but it's clear there was a lot of shady poo poo going down and in the end the publishers and Apple restrained competition and raised prices by these shenanigans that changed the way books have been sold for the past century or so. We have all paid more for ebooks so Apple can get the 30% they wanted and only have to compete with amazon and others on presentation, normally Apple's strength, which hasn't gone well.

The most I've paid for ebooks was $15 bucks, for each of Shelby Foote's The Civil War. Was it worth it? Yea, it was, because a lot of effort was put into the 1000 page books with good formatting, maps, I think I only caught few errant letters, and they were still a little bit cheaper than the print books. But there are a lot of ebooks I'd like to buy that are just priced too high, too high for the content, too high in relation to print books. I read somewhere that ereader owners on average read more and buy a lot more books compared to print only readers, and I've bought a lot of full priced ebooks, but more and more I'm watching for deals as some as the ones I really want are just not worth the listed price. It frustrates me reading about all this ebook price fixing crap and I hope the DOJ really sticks it to the holdouts.

http://blog.authorsguild.org/2012/04/11/a-message-from-john-sargent-ceo-macmillan/

The head of Macmillan claiming that they did no wrong.

1. Everyone changing prices at the exact same time is a pretty nice coincidence
2. This may be petty, but at no point does he address customers, aka the market of people that buy his books. It just seems to add fuel to the fire that the guy is out of touch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If their goal was to increase competition like they say rather than protecting print business (the real reason), the only way they are going to accomplish that is to drop DRM.

Basically:

1) Drop DRM
2) Force eBook sellers to carry the 3 most popular formats for the book (mobi, epub, and PDF) if they sell any of them.

BAM, all barriers are down to the common person. If someone with a Nook sees a cheaper price on Amazon, they can buy it on Amazon and download the ePub. If someone with a Kindle sees a cheaper price at B&N, they can buy it there and download the mobi.

This may also have indirect upward price pressure as well since Amazon may not run as many deals if it doesn't mean a hardware kindle sale so publishers could have their cake and eat it too and everyone could have a more healthy, competitive market.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vertigus posted:

much like broadband internet access threatens Comcast's by competing with cable TV.

Haha no it doesn't. Comcast makes way more profit per dollar you spend by selling you cable internet than cable tv.

What are you going to do, switch to 1.5 mbps DSL in the same area for almost as much as you pay comcast? Use cell internet with a 2 gb cap? No, you'll sit there and give them huge profit on your cable connection with each bill.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

Haha no it doesn't. Comcast makes way more profit per dollar you spend by selling you cable internet than cable tv.

What are you going to do, switch to 1.5 mbps DSL in the same area for almost as much as you pay comcast? Use cell internet with a 2 gb cap? No, you'll sit there and give them huge profit on your cable connection with each bill.

More and more people aren't getting TV subscriptions and instead just using Netflix or pirating TV shows. So it kind of hurts cable companies when more and more people start getting their content elsewhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sperg Victorious posted:

More and more people aren't getting TV subscriptions and instead just using Netflix or pirating TV shows. So it kind of hurts cable companies when more and more people start getting their content elsewhere.

Of course they want you to also pay $50 a month for cable TV. It's even more money for them why wouldn't they? But they're making much higher profit margin on your internet service.

Turn off all cable TV tomorrow and now Comcast "just" is the largest ISP in the country as well as owning NBC (which anyone can watch for free with an antenna, of course). Even when you remove NBCUniversal from the picture, Comcast'sprofits have continued to rise, while they lose 150,000-300,000 cable tv subscriptions every quarter and gain 100,000-250,000 internet subscriptions every quarter for the last few years.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Install Gentoo posted:

FIOS availability has been probably the most important "should we go check this one out" factor in our shopping for a house.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
It still threatens their TV business. That's one reason for bandwidth caps. Why pay 50 bucks when you can pay 8 bucks to netflix. But then with Netflix using 32% of internet bandwidth, cheap broadband help people get away from cable TV subscription. Obviously, cable companies don't want to encourage this trend so you end up with caps, against net neutrality, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone with a Nook want to buy a $22 Amazon gift card to swap with me for a $25 B&N card? I have a Kindle and I have local taxes so jump on this deal.

Note that I'll make a SA Mart thread for the transaction but I wanted to give you guys dibs. Any interest?