Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

A good starting point is a 17:1 water:grounds ratio, I think this is explained in the op. Basically you'll be weighing the grounds, placing your chemex on the scale (tare it after you put it on) and then pouring the water until you reach the desired weight in grams.

So as a specific example of this, you would grind, let's say, 21g of beans. Some are gonna get eaten up in the grinder, so you'll wind up with maybe 20.2g when you're ready to brew. 20.2 x 17 == 343.4, so tare the scale and slowly pour 343g (ml) of water through the grounds. You'll wind up with somewhere around 310ml of coffee, or about 10.5 ounces. If you want to make a bigger batch, just scale it up. 30g beans, 510g water.

I always brew on the scale. It's the easiest way to be consistent.

I also recommend keeping a log book of your brews. As you play around with ratios and methodology, you'll get different tastes. I log everything, and then revisit the ones I found to be particularly excellent. Don't get stuck in a rut, though - even if I'm making what I think is great coffee, I make it a point to change a parameter every now and then and see if I can make something better. Lately I've been brewing with a 1:16 ratio (instead of 1:17) and enjoying the results. That's one of the great things about manual brewing, you have this whole new world to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
You also get regular coffee drinkers who either think you're crazy or you've, to quote a friend, "elevated coffee-making to an art."

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Casull posted:

You also get regular coffee drinkers who either think you're crazy or you've, to quote a friend, "elevated coffee-making to an art."

My dad stayed at my house for a night while he was passing through and I got up and made coffee with my vac pot and heard "I asked do you have any coffee, not do you want to do a science experiment."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

My thought is, if you drink something everyday, shouldn't it taste as good as it possibly can?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rockcity posted:

My dad stayed at my house for a night while he was passing through and I got up and made coffee with my vac pot and heard "I asked do you have any coffee, not do you want to do a science experiment."

My dad absolutely loves the coffee I brew, but just has zero drive to invest any of the work needed to do it himself. So he drinks preground stuff from the grocery store brewed in a $19.99 Mr. Coffee, but then always reminds me when I'm visiting to bring my CCD & grinder so I can make him good coffee while I'm home. :rolleyes:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
UC Davis might introduce a coffee sciences major: http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2014/03/10/36394/uc-davis-creates-center-for-coffee-science-study-c/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'm going to quit my job and double major in beer (which Davis also has and is considered a great program that can get you a job, though for AB) and coffee.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

nm posted:

I'm going to quit my job and double major in beer (which Davis also has and is considered a great program that can get you a job, though for AB) and coffee.

They also have a very highly regarded viticulture program if you want to class it up a bit and skip the AB career.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Since science came up I wanted to share something I've been working on. Nitrogenated cold brew. Stumptown, blue bottle and cuvee all have done this so I wanted to give it a shot. Only tasted cuvee and it really tasted like a cold brew but not as thick. So maybe concentrate but about 25% more water added?

The setup is Beergas into a corny keg then out through a jockbox with a stout tap. Since coffee doesn't take to co2 as well as beer I'm still working on the right mix of gas and coffee. Getting a head is the easy part due to the tap and pushing out of gas. The tricky part is making it not taste like coffee soda. While slightly appealing it's just not something one should settle on as good enough.

you have to prime the keg with psi at the nright temp then get it to be pushed out at the right psi. Don't want to over prime the keg but also don't want to under.

I'm doing this because we want to take this to a farmers market in the summer. since we roast our costs are far smaller than any old person taking a bag of beans. To be totally truthful where we live in New Jersey is dry and seeing something that looks like a Guinness and a vendor with a stout tap will attract attention. Why a dry town? Simple answer: I have no clue. A dry town Means no alcohol sold in the town. It's weird. To be real about it you can drive a mile down the road and get beer. It's not hard to get but we think the gimmick idea would at the very least make people aware of a new roaster. And also good coffee.

Edit: posted from my phone. I realize those :words: are :goonsay: but think it's a cool idea.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That's a really loving cool idea and if you get it dialed in, please post what you find out. I just bought a kegerator for homebrew for my kitchen, but if I ever do a nitrogen setup for a stout, I could use the second tap for a keg of cold brew.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

rockcity posted:

I make this every day at work as soon as I get in... This is from this morning.

And this is what I drink at home. Coffee is science dammit.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got my chemex and made a cup of coffee that wasn't precision measured, used beans that were ground a few days ago and water that was probably at the wrong temperature. Based on the cup I had, I can't imagine how good it'll taste once I have a full setup. I think this is the first cup of coffee I've had where I could taste actual flavors in it, other than hot and bitter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The thick chemex filters do a lot of the work for you and it's very forgiving. Get a grinder, stat!

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

rockcity posted:

That's a really loving cool idea and if you get it dialed in, please post what you find out. I just bought a kegerator for homebrew for my kitchen, but if I ever do a nitrogen setup for a stout, I could use the second tap for a keg of cold brew.

Nice! You can get away with a party tap just need the beer gas mix. Was using one for a little while until I got the jockbox. The tap does make the head better and overall effect look nicer. If you were curious how many beans to fill this 5 gallon, it's about 3 1/2 bags of coffee. since we home roast here costs can be brought down a lot. If anyone wanted to get into the coffee game this might be a nice sidestep in? Some farmers markets don't care where you make your stuff.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have that digital scale but the individual segments of the LCD routinely crap out. Anyone else get this?

Some days they'll all be there, others I'll just get a few. Usually there's enough for a decent guess at what its showing but not always.

I probably just need to jiggle the contacts on the LCD in there sometime.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Corla Plankun posted:

I have that digital scale but the individual segments of the LCD routinely crap out. Anyone else get this?

Some days they'll all be there, others I'll just get a few. Usually there's enough for a decent guess at what its showing but not always.

I probably just need to jiggle the contacts on the LCD in there sometime.

Have you tried different batteries?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

MasterControl posted:

Awesome Things

There's a cafe in Toronto called Te Aro that keeps their cold brew in kegs, and I really want to go check it out, but I haven't had the chance yet.

I've been trying to convince my bosses that we should do cold brew in the summer instead of iced espresso drinks, since it will almost certainly taste better, but I think I'll need to do some experimenting on my own to show off the results to really get my point across.

I'd love any tips or advice anyone might have about cold brew.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'd love any tips or advice anyone might have about cold brew.

We actually just had a discussion about it two pages ago. Here's a link to the start of it. Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have afterward. It's pretty easy and really doesn't require a whole lot of forethought/planning. If you have the gear to make good coffee, you have the gear to make good cold brew.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Timid posted:

^^ Hey Becoming have you ever been to Bean Hollow in Historic Ellicott City? I meant to post in the thread earlier about it, and your post just reminded me to do it now.

I went and got their 'Mexican' coffee, and a friend of mine got an iced mocha. Both actually tasted pretty great. Although the coffee was a tiny bit on the bitter side, but it was fine. Unfortunately they don't brew to order, so all their coffee selections are from vacuum pots.

I also went in and got a pound of medium roasted Guatemalan for $14. Their 'medium' is on the darker side and a bit oily, which I'm not too big of a fan of. But I'll use it anyways and get a light roast from them next time, or try a bag from Mad City which I was planning on anyways. They also don't sell unroasted coffee.

I woulda PM'd you but I don't have platinum yet.

Overall for the thread: If you're in Maryland around the Ellicott City/Columbia area, I definitely recommend trying out Bean Hollow.

I'm sorry man, I completely forgot to respond to this when I read it. No, never been. I'm always looking for neat places around here to hang out/spend money. I'll make it a point to get over there and give the Mexican a shot.

I still owe you a report on the Mad City beans, which means I need to actually pick up some Mad City beans.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MasterControl posted:

Since science came up I wanted to share something I've been working on. Nitrogenated cold brew. Stumptown, blue bottle and cuvee all have done this so I wanted to give it a shot. Only tasted cuvee and it really tasted like a cold brew but not as thick. So maybe concentrate but about 25% more water added?

The setup is Beergas into a corny keg then out through a jockbox with a stout tap. Since coffee doesn't take to co2 as well as beer I'm still working on the right mix of gas and coffee. Getting a head is the easy part due to the tap and pushing out of gas. The tricky part is making it not taste like coffee soda. While slightly appealing it's just not something one should settle on as good enough.

you have to prime the keg with psi at the nright temp then get it to be pushed out at the right psi. Don't want to over prime the keg but also don't want to under.

I'm doing this because we want to take this to a farmers market in the summer. since we roast our costs are far smaller than any old person taking a bag of beans. To be totally truthful where we live in New Jersey is dry and seeing something that looks like a Guinness and a vendor with a stout tap will attract attention. Why a dry town? Simple answer: I have no clue. A dry town Means no alcohol sold in the town. It's weird. To be real about it you can drive a mile down the road and get beer. It's not hard to get but we think the gimmick idea would at the very least make people aware of a new roaster. And also good coffee.

Edit: posted from my phone. I realize those :words: are :goonsay: but think it's a cool idea.
They do this at Augies in Redlands. It is fairly decent, but I prefer Kyoto style iced.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I need that espresso glass in my life.

MasterControl posted:

Nice! You can get away with a party tap just need the beer gas mix. Was using one for a little while until I got the jockbox. The tap does make the head better and overall effect look nicer. If you were curious how many beans to fill this 5 gallon, it's about 3 1/2 bags of coffee. since we home roast here costs can be brought down a lot. If anyone wanted to get into the coffee game this might be a nice sidestep in? Some farmers markets don't care where you make your stuff.

Yeah, I figured it would be a ridiculous amount of coffee. I've done a coffee stout before that came out pretty good. I also contemplated making a ridiculously coffee flavored milk stout to the point where it was just like a rich creamy coffee with a minimal amount of beer taste. Like a 3-4% milk stout with like a gallon or more of cold brew in it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So I am finally getting around to watching Hannibal and saw this thing on the show :

I found something that looks similar on amazon for $140. My question is how is the coffee from these?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ded posted:

So I am finally getting around to watching Hannibal and saw this thing on the show :

I found something that looks similar on amazon for $140. My question is how is the coffee from these?

What even is that? Some sort of vac pot?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

There's a cafe in Toronto called Te Aro that keeps their cold brew in kegs, and I really want to go check it out, but I haven't had the chance yet.

Do you know if the people who own it are Kiwis? Te Aro is (one of) the weird arty hipster suburbs in Wellington, the coffee-est place in NZ.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ded posted:

My question is whether those little balls spin around like I hope they do. After that, coffee is a bonus.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

mirthdefect posted:

Do you know if the people who own it are Kiwis? Te Aro is (one of) the weird arty hipster suburbs in Wellington, the coffee-est place in NZ.

That's where they got the name from, for sure, but I don't how they landed on the name specifically. They're run by one of the roasting companies in the city.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

dik-dik posted:

Yes it is a vacuum pot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dik-dik posted:

http://royalcoffeemaker.com/newstore/how-it-works

No spinning balls :(

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

rockcity posted:

I need that espresso glass in my life.
It can be yours! Thinkgeek has them for about 10 bucks a pair...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Holy crap the prices there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ded posted:

Yes it is a vacuum pot.

Also from Breaking Bad

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mu Zeta posted:

Also from Breaking Bad

Ya but that isn't pretty it's just geeky. :colbert:

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
So, I think this came up a few weeks back, but I can't seem to find it.

Has anyone here used the metal filter for the aeropress? I assume I would want to grind a little more coarsely than I do now (#5 or so on my Encore).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dukket posted:

So, I think this came up a few weeks back, but I can't seem to find it.

Has anyone here used the metal filter for the aeropress? I assume I would want to grind a little more coarsely than I do now (#5 or so on my Encore).

I use this. You do grind slightly less fine than normal and you do get a slight residue in the cup but you also get a brighter flavor. I prefer it to the paper filters.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the Able Disk fine model. It's thinner than the normal one but it has smaller holes. I use the same grind as I do for the paper filters and it tastes great.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
I keep reminiscing about That One Cup of espresso I had in a small Italian cafe (in Italy :v:). Served from an itty bitty ceramic cup more like an oversized thimble, very little coffee, I don't know if it was all that special really or even great espresso, but for a espresso-curious layman like me it was concentrate of awesome. I like coffee generally but the extent of my craft is going for the supermarket pregrounds for my drip machine (in my defense, at least it's one of those Technivorm Moccamasters?!?). I want to step up my game though, and maybe make that cup of espresso one day - or better.

So I'm thinking of starting slowly by first getting my grind on with preroasted beans, so I can improve my drip machine life too. I started looking at burr grinders like the OP recommends, and Amazon has models ranging from £40 to £420, but even though the OP states that for espresso you need to get the best you can afford, I'm looking at these different machines and I can't really understand the difference between a £100 model and a £200 model. Both seem to grind beans, and both have fineness controls. One of the more expensive models has "variable programming" and "grind level 1-24" and "cable rewind" but these do not mean anything to me, and I think I can live without features like "cable rewind".

Is the problem that cheaper models can't grind fine enough for a great espresso? The £100 models look pretty solid and I imagine not even build quality is an issue at that price. If there's something that justifies adding £100 or £200 extra to that, that's great, but it kind of feels like getting a Monster cable equivalent of a coffee bean grinder.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
While there definitely are expensive grinders which aren't worth the money they cost, the main thing you're looking for in a grinder is consistency, and the better grinders are going to be more consistent. This means all your ground beans will be in similar sized granules and this means each will be extracted the same- no over or under extraction occurring adding flavors you don't want- or messing with the pull of the shot in the case of espresso.

I know the thread recommends certain grinders and I'll leave them to do so, I haven't myself picked one up, having a 'burr grinder' that's fairly inconsistent, I wish I had listen to them when I had the cash to spare. It's probably the #1 investment you can make to improving your coffee. What I have is still better than a blade grinder, and a blade grinder is still better than using pre-ground... unless you spin it to the point it heats up your grounds, then it's worse because it's applying heat from friction alone.

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
I'm no coffee expert, but I'm pretty sure the issue is grind quality/consistency. A cheap model on setting 5 might produce a variety of grind sizes. A nicer model will (hopefully) make each piece of ground coffee exactly the same.

e:fb...

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Moskau posted:

I keep reminiscing about That One Cup of espresso I had in a small Italian cafe (in Italy :v:). Served from an itty bitty ceramic cup more like an oversized thimble, very little coffee, I don't know if it was all that special really or even great espresso, but for a espresso-curious layman like me it was concentrate of awesome. I like coffee generally but the extent of my craft is going for the supermarket pregrounds for my drip machine (in my defense, at least it's one of those Technivorm Moccamasters?!?). I want to step up my game though, and maybe make that cup of espresso one day - or better.

So I'm thinking of starting slowly by first getting my grind on with preroasted beans, so I can improve my drip machine life too. I started looking at burr grinders like the OP recommends, and Amazon has models ranging from £40 to £420, but even though the OP states that for espresso you need to get the best you can afford, I'm looking at these different machines and I can't really understand the difference between a £100 model and a £200 model. Both seem to grind beans, and both have fineness controls. One of the more expensive models has "variable programming" and "grind level 1-24" and "cable rewind" but these do not mean anything to me, and I think I can live without features like "cable rewind".

Is the problem that cheaper models can't grind fine enough for a great espresso? The £100 models look pretty solid and I imagine not even build quality is an issue at that price. If there's something that justifies adding £100 or £200 extra to that, that's great, but it kind of feels like getting a Monster cable equivalent of a coffee bean grinder.

Since you've already got the Rolls Royce of drip machines, you will see a pretty huge improvement with a good grinder and freshly roasted beans ground right before you brew. It's also worth mentioning that most folks that are serious about coffee and espresso will recommend that you have a grinder solely for espresso. What I mean to say is, what you are brewing now is not espresso; if you get serious into espresso, you will want a grinder just for espresso; thus, you do not need a grinder for espresso right now.

As the others have said, what you care about is grind consistency. This is important because different grind sizes extract at different rates. If you do not have a consistent grind, you will never make a consistent cup of coffee. One day you might make something that tastes absolutely amazing, and you could repeat the process exactly the same way the next day and get a cup of over-extracted bitter garbage. (You had too many fines in your grind!)

The more you spend (to a point), the more consistent your grind will be. In manufacturing, tolerances are money. If you are going for precision, as a company like Mahlkönig is, you will pay through the nose for it. This gets passed on to the customer, which is why there are such wild variances in price.

Spend what you can realistically afford to spend on a grinder. Get a model that is well-reviewed by coffee geeks. I'm not sure about European availability, but all of us like Baratza. I have their Virtuoso, which was $229 USD from Amazon and is pretty drat consistent. If I had it to do over, I would probably step up to the Preciso, but I didn't realize just how much I was going to love coffee. I wouldn't bother with a Vario, as that's more geared toward espresso and I'm not drinking espresso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

ded posted:

I use this. You do grind slightly less fine than normal and you do get a slight residue in the cup but you also get a brighter flavor. I prefer it to the paper filters.

Thanks, both of you - that is what I was hoping to hear...or not since thats more money spend.