Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, can someone explain to an ignorant Canadian why there are so many people in the UK who seem positively giddy at the prospect of Clarkson getting canned? I get why the Argentinians are pissed off at him, I get why the Mexicans are pissed at him, etc., but I can't figure out why people in the UK seem to dislike him so much.

Is there a Canadian equivalent? I can't think of anyone, outside of actual politicians, who's so divisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

please don't mock my article

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Zeether posted:

Chris Barrie should replace Clarkson, because he's a petrolhead and played a shouty guy on Red Dwarf. And he was on that Petrolheads game show with Hammond.
Barrie has done a few shows himself on cars anyway. Though he's probably closer to May than Clarkson.

PT6A posted:

So, can someone explain to an ignorant Canadian why there are so many people in the UK who seem positively giddy at the prospect of Clarkson getting canned? I get why the Argentinians are pissed off at him, I get why the Mexicans are pissed at him, etc., but I can't figure out why people in the UK seem to dislike him so much.
Because a lot of people are stupid enough to think that Clarkson the character is Clarkson the person, and the UK suffers from an infestation of nasty little people with crippling righteous indignation about everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PT6A posted:

Is there a Canadian equivalent? I can't think of anyone, outside of actual politicians, who's so divisive.

I'm not an expert, but it seems like it's the same type of people that would do it in any country. The only difference is the BBC is run by the government so those people think they have a right to say Top Gear should be exactly what they want it to be. They act like Top Gear is an informative show to help consumers decide what the best car is but it has somehow been taken over by three bumbling idiots. They don't realize it's the most popular show in the world because of the three bumbling idiots.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

it's the most popular show... in the world... because of the three bumbling idiots.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Barrie has done a few shows himself on cars anyway. Though he's probably closer to May than Clarkson.
Yeah, I think I saw him recently on a british invention show. I don't remember the details but it involved a tank I think. He's a James May replacement, not a Clarkson replacement. That said, if they all quit, then the show could live on with Barrie, Harris, and some mop and bucket to replace Hammond.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I dunno I think Hammond's been less terrible this season :unsmith:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
OK, as you like, Chris Evans as mentioned before.
Barrie, Harris, Evans.
e: I just realised, the 3X show, all Chris'

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 11, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PT6A posted:

Don Cherry?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

howe_sam posted:

Don Cherry?

Haha, you're probably right! I like him too, although I think he's going senile.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

howe_sam posted:

Don Cherry?

hahahahaahhaha he's about as ridiculous looking, too.

How about Don Cherry replace Clarkson? I'd be pretty alright with that, even if he can't drive well or doesn't know anything about cars.

Reading his history is about as entertaining as Clarkson's. According to Wikipedia, "In 1989, he referred to Finnish-born Winnipeg Jets Assistant Coach Alpo Suhonen as "some kind of dog food""

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PT6A posted:

Because there are epeople who read articles like this:

quote:

Top Gear, being so far behind the curve, would only be able to catch up if it undertook a radical rethink of its value system. I suggest an eco-feminist approach. In the first place, they need to incorporate the obvious concerns of the entire industry, to produce cars that get you places without needless waste. It’s not wholemeal and boring. What does an intelligent species do, faced with a problem? It finds daring answers. It doesn’t plough into a ditch and laugh.

and believe that it is a valid viewpoint.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Does Don Cherry still have the tape delay so the CBC can cut him off if he says something offensive?

spog posted:

Because there are epeople who read articles like this:

and believe that it is a valid viewpoint.

So, is that like a mental disease or what?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
If you want a car fan who's good at playing a big boorish oaf, why not Phillip Glenister? They wouldn't even need to change the wardrobe.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

PT6A posted:

Does Don Cherry still have the tape delay so the CBC can cut him off if he says something offensive?

So, is that like a mental disease or what?

I have a couple of eco-mentalist friends who once got raised-voices angry with me because I bought a V8 "for fun". There is a large subset of the British public who would love to ban driving cars for any reason other than somber necessity, and they latch like limpets onto anything bad that Clarkson does because he's their nemesis.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

PT6A posted:

Stu can explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I have a couple of eco-mentalist friends who once got raised-voices angry with me because I bought a V8 "for fun". There is a large subset of the British public who would love to ban driving cars for any reason other than somber necessity, and they latch like limpets onto anything bad that Clarkson does because he's their nemesis.

What the gently caress is wrong with people like that? I'm especially sensitive to criticisms like that with my car (and my love of driving it in a non-economical fashion), since it's usually coming from people who commute, and do almost everything else, by car. I've put around 24,000 kms on it since I bought in in 2010; so what if it's not the most eco-friendly choice?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

PT6A posted:

The left don't like Top Gear because they have no sense of irony and think Clarkson is serious with all the bullshit he spouts. The right wing press and tabloids hate him because he should be one of theirs but has been propping up the BBC with the piles of cash Top Gear make.

So the Daily Heil/Mirror/Sun/Torygraph hates him because they hate the BBC and the Independent/Guardian hate him because he likes cars and powerrrhhhhhhhhh

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If you want a car fan who's good at playing a big boorish oaf, why not Phillip Glenister? They wouldn't even need to change the wardrobe.

They should go full hog and pretend the show is in the 1980s. Fire up the Quattro!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm a left leaning person but this whole witchhunting culture the past few years where "if you say x, y or z you're a racist" has gotten out of control.

90% of the "hate" for Clarkson was because he made a couple of jokes that didn't sit well with some people and instead of turning the TV off they've turned it into some sort of controversy in a lovely lame attempt to get him off the air. These people are so bothered by a loving bad joke that they're trying to get him off the air.

And I'd be fine with this if that was the only effect. But its actually hurting the fight against racism more then its helping. The real racists aren't making jokes they're actually discriminating against minorities, and instead of going after these people we're too busy word policing everyone.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people like that? I'm especially sensitive to criticisms like that with my car (and my love of driving it in a non-economical fashion), since it's usually coming from people who commute, and do almost everything else, by car. I've put around 24,000 kms on it since I bought in in 2010; so what if it's not the most eco-friendly choice?
Its typical contrarian you-don't-like-what-I-like bullshit with a twist of self righteousness because they're "doing their bit" while motorists are choking the forests/raising the oceans/crushing tiny babies under our unfeeling wheels.

Britain doesn't have the respect for personal freedom that America does, so its a lot more acceptable to poo poo on other peoples hobbies, especially when you can make yourself look good by doing it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Its typical contrarian you-don't-like-what-I-like bullshit with a twist of self righteousness because they're "doing their bit" while motorists are choking the forests/raising the oceans/crushing tiny babies under our unfeeling wheels.

I love cars and motorcycles, but I also love tiny babies! What do I do?!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Guardian is now up to six articles and/or opinion pieces on Jeremy Clarkson in the last 24 hours.

Apparently he is now literally Nigel Farage.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Almost all of Clarkson's scandals are scandals because the tabloids wants them to be. He took all the flak for the "slope-incident", even though Richard Hammond was standing right next to him, taking part. The joke, tasteless as it might have been, was obviously a team effort. And the mumbled racism, where he went out of his way to mumble the offensive word to the point where you can't actually tell it's there, because it isn't (though I can see how it's implied presence could offend some people). Or on the One Show, where he was obviously taking the piss.

It kind of rich though, watching the same BBC that for years employed and protected a bunch of paedos get all bent out of shape over Clarkson doing what he's always done, all while hurting no one.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Scherloch posted:

It kind of rich though, watching the same BBC that for years employed and protected a bunch of paedos get all bent out of shape over Clarkson doing what he's always done, all while hurting no one.

Other than the producer who got punched :v:

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Dread Head posted:

Other than the producer who got punched :v:

Haha, well, apart from him then obviously.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Scherloch posted:

Almost all of Clarkson's scandals are scandals because the tabloids wants them to be. He took all the flak for the "slope-incident", even though Richard Hammond was standing right next to him, taking part. The joke, tasteless as it might have been, was obviously a team effort. And the mumbled racism, where he went out of his way to mumble the offensive word to the point where you can't actually tell it's there, because it isn't (though I can see how it's implied presence could offend some people). Or on the One Show, where he was obviously taking the piss.

The slope incident was loving ridiculous, because the bridge was sloped to one side, and I'm firmly convinced that no one but the most committed racist would know that "slope" is a derogatory term for Asian people, because I didn't manage to find a single person who knew that or had ever used it before that incident happened. Frankly, the comment about Mexicans was far more offensive, and even that was obviously not meant to be serious.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

PT6A posted:

The slope incident was loving ridiculous, because the bridge was sloped to one side, and I'm firmly convinced that no one but the most committed racist would know that "slope" is a derogatory term for Asian people, because I didn't manage to find a single person who knew that or had ever used it before that incident happened. Frankly, the comment about Mexicans was far more offensive, and even that was obviously not meant to be serious.

Its a very well known insult against asians in Australia tho, but other than that? And we're so loving closet racist it would have made more people laugh than get insulted anyway- we're the country who just had our Prime Minister tell the indigenous population that living on their land and living their culture was a "Lifestyle choice" afterall.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Clarkson is a very clever man and knew precisely what the word meant, but its a dad joke at worst and certainly not the world-ending scandal it was made out to be. Jimmy Carr has said far worse and the sky didn't fall, but then he hasn't got a cabal of swivel-eyed lunatics dedicating their lives to his downfall.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

PT6A posted:

In one of the post argentina debacle interviews andy wilmen says that he suggested they say that after watching some old war movies, and it was his fault because he didn't research the term enough to know how bad it was.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ferremit posted:

Its a very well known insult against asians in Australia tho, but other than that? And we're so loving closet racist it would have made more people laugh than get insulted anyway- we're the country who just had our Prime Minister tell the indigenous population that living on their land and living their culture was a "Lifestyle choice" afterall.

australian_politics.jpg

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ika posted:

In one of the post argentina debacle interviews andy wilmen says that he suggested they say that after watching some old war movies, and it was his fault because he didn't research the term enough to know how bad it was.

As a Brit, I can say that I have never heard it used as a derogatory term for Asian - and I am pretty sure that you'd be hard put to find it used in any literature, media or news articles in the UK prior to this event.

Which is pretty bloody obvious: does anyone think that they would seriously use a word that they knew to be as offensive as 'chink' or 'friend of the family' in a light entertainment programme destined to be shown around the world?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

In American war movies we have no idea which Asian country they are defending liberty from until we hear a soldier call the Asians a derogatory name. Slope or gook? Oh this is in Vietnam!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

As a Brit, I can say that I have never heard it used as a derogatory term for Asian - and I am pretty sure that you'd be hard put to find it used in any literature, media or news articles in the UK prior to this event.

Which is pretty bloody obvious: does anyone think that they would seriously use a word that they knew to be as offensive as 'chink' or 'friend of the family' in a light entertainment programme destined to be shown around the world?

(Also as a Brit) I've heard it, but no-one uses it. It's not a term that exists here.

As for the whole "friend of the family" thing in the outtake video, he didn't actually say it, and it was never broadcast, so i don't see the problem.

If he straight up said "digger" no-one would care as it's not offensive, so i'm not sure why there's an uproar over it.

If he said "friend of the family" at the pub with his mates and no-one around, it wouldn't matter, so why does it matter what's said on an outtake?

People just want to get offended over minor bullshit, for the sake of being offended.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe the producer hit himself and lied about it so the SJWs could have their final victory over top gear.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Whilst I normally hate to stereotype, in my experience these types of people are almost always Londoners with little or no experience outside of London and think that everywhere else is a congested smog filled hell hole that you don't actually need a car to get by in. These are often the same people who parrot about dropping the motorway speed limit to 50mph for safety reasons (despite motorways being the safest roads in the country) and have often never driven on a motorway, or indeed never driven at all.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

and then there was that time he said striking workers should be shot in front of their families

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ludicro posted:

Whilst I normally hate to stereotype, in my experience these types of people are almost always Londoners with little or no experience outside of London and think that everywhere else is a congested smog filled hell hole that you don't actually need a car to get by in. These are often the same people who parrot about dropping the motorway speed limit to 50mph for safety reasons (despite motorways being the safest roads in the country) and have often never driven on a motorway, or indeed never driven at all.

They're almost always Prius owners or people who solely use public transport.

Get me out of this oval office-infested hell hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have to ask why his comments weren't edited out in the first place. It's not like the show is broadcast live. SOMEBODY at the BBC should have the authority to fix poo poo like this.