Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kreez posted:

Anyone know details about EU flight cancellation compensation? I wasn't aware that non-EU carriers were subject to EU compensation laws if departing from the EU. I assumed that a Canadian carrier operating LGW-Canada would be under Canadian laws, which offer 0 protection to the passenger, so I accepted a $200 (CAD) travel voucher over the phone.

EU compensation says I'm owed ~$885 in cash. Any idea if my accepting the voucher invalidates my claim? When I was on the phone, I was more concerned about being rebooked on the next flight than worrying about accepting or rejecting the $200 they threw me.

You can still file a claim. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

The EU's website is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My last flight home from the EU was delayed but not enough to trigger EU 261. I was actually bummed because I was looking forward to trying to claim some sweet reimbursement Euros.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
It took a year but euclaim.co.uk got me 600 euro after Delta denied my direct request. I had actually forgotten about it by the time I got the letter. It's worth a shot, they only take their cut if they successfully get your claim paid.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Kreez posted:

Anyone know details about EU flight cancellation compensation? I wasn't aware that non-EU carriers were subject to EU compensation laws if departing from the EU. I assumed that a Canadian carrier operating LGW-Canada would be under Canadian laws, which offer 0 protection to the passenger, so I accepted a $200 (CAD) travel voucher over the phone.

EU compensation says I'm owed ~$885 in cash. Any idea if my accepting the voucher invalidates my claim? When I was on the phone, I was more concerned about being rebooked on the next flight than worrying about accepting or rejecting the $200 they threw me.

Did you buy travel insurance

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Really struggling trying to decide between committing to SPG vs. Marriott. Already have 10 nights w/ Marriott this year, but have a much better shot at 10 stays for SPG gold than 50 nights for Marriott Gold. Company has solid rates with each pretty much everywhere I plan on traveling, and I'm not too constrained by price (so can easily book an SPG hotel if it's $100 more/night, for example). Any thoughts?

(Sent from the Meridien Piccadilly, and very much considering checking out early tomorrow and going back to the Edition for a few nights)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Go SPG, it isn't going to matter strategically since they will merge in a bit but SPG is generally much nicer.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I went from Marriott Gold down to Silver this year and maintained SPG Gold. I agree with Kyoon.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
SPG is the way to be if you don't have easy and regular access to Hyatt properties.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Go SPG, it isn't going to matter strategically since they will merge in a bit but SPG is generally much nicer.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Mackieman posted:

SPG is the way to be if you don't have easy and regular access to Hyatt properties.

I've spent almost six months in SPG hotels in Mexico City, London, and Milan in the past year and a half. I liked le Meridien in Mexico City best. Their Westin in Milan is pretty tired.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 27, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get SPG gold on spend alone if you can't get plat

Aloft Kuala Lumpur is pretty great for the price

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice. Did some googling and found out I'm eligible for the SPG Platinum challenge (18 nights in 90 days), which I should hit pretty easily with some heavy travel the next couple months.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Thanks for the advice. Did some googling and found out I'm eligible for the SPG Platinum challenge (18 nights in 90 days), which I should hit pretty easily with some heavy travel the next couple months.

Yeah, just call them and ask or email SPG. If you miss it once, just ask them to do it again, there's no penalty or waiting period if you miss it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Double post!

Use this link to doctorofcredit to see if your United Mileage Plus account is eligible for bonus miles for just buying/flying United. My offer was 6,000 bonus miles for $500 spent on United, 9,000 additional bonus miles for $1,000 and 15,000 for $2,000 for a total of 30,000 bonus miles. Easy to make with work flights

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
poo poo, I bought $1k of tickets for personal travel just last week which don't count towards the promotion. I have to spend $2k just to hit the first tier reward they offered me, who knows whether I will hit that or not, I have no control over which airlines I fly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tyro posted:

poo poo, I bought $1k of tickets for personal travel just last week which don't count towards the promotion. I have to spend $2k just to hit the first tier reward they offered me, who knows whether I will hit that or not, I have no control over which airlines I fly.

Don't feel bad; my offer was for an additional $19K before I hit a bonus. I may do a third of that before the end of the year, so no bonus for me. Such is life.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey, after a bunch of research I can conclude that the us airways part of the new American sucks!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

sellouts posted:

Hey, after a bunch of research I can conclude that the us airways part of the new American sucks!

Remember when US Airways tried to nix free sodas on flights and started charging for them? Boy, that didn't play out well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't because I never flew them until they joined American. What a terrible experience.

Also the lines were not bad today for people without precheck. I wish I could bring myself to show up later for flights but I am paranoid that when I do that I'll be randomly selected to go through regular security.

That being said, officially back in the saddle for international work travel on Saturday. Going to completely ignore my previous regimen for eating healthy on the road because it's goddamn London, Paris and Rome and I haven't been in a while.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

The lovely folks at Delta are batting 1000 this time around. Was supposed to fly IAH -> ATL -> STL yesterday but due to a hydraulic leak in the landing gear on that flight we were delayed and i was rebooked for the first flight out this morning (same routing). We get all loaded up on the plane and the Capitan comes on and lets us know, Oops. they didn't inspect the plane last night so we'll be delayed about an hour. Of course this causes another case where I'll never make my connection in ATL. The lovely folks on the help line weren't able to do anything but MAYBE get me into STL at 14:30 today. Client said gently caress it, cancel the whole trip. Fine no problem. But my baggage is currently winging its way to STL.

Business travel is Fun!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

more importantly what idiot accepts that routing

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yay least cost "reasonable" options from Concur!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
What I want: A list of airports that have Lufthansa business lounges.

What I can find: This site where you have to go through a list of half the cities in the world one by one to find out if there's a lounge.

Can anybody help me out? I feel like this shouldn't be hard at all, but google is loving me over.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
So I have to go to Toronto for a meeting on Friday, and am spending the weekend. Fuckers are flying me vermin class on Porter Air. How bad are we talking? And where in Toronto should I take my date on Saturday evening?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had to fly CLT (my favorite airport code) - DTW - DCA last year. That sucked.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I was just helping someone find "the next flight to JFK, regardless of price" and United offered me PHL-EWR-CLE(51 minute layover)-JFK. Neat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Porter is cool and good. Good snacks and beer. Great experience in Toronto at Bishop instead of the absolute clusterfuck that is Pearson, and the Gardiner/QEW. Eventually airlines will learn that white interiors don't hold up.

Zaepho posted:

Yay least cost "reasonable" options from Concur!

condolences

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Per posted:

What I want: A list of airports that have Lufthansa business lounges.

What I can find: This site where you have to go through a list of half the cities in the world one by one to find out if there's a lounge.

Can anybody help me out? I feel like this shouldn't be hard at all, but google is loving me over.

I can't believe that everyone's favorite spergs on FT don't have one.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Porter is cool and good. Good snacks and beer. Great experience in Toronto at Bishop instead of the absolute clusterfuck that is Pearson, and the Gardiner/QEW. Eventually airlines will learn that white interiors don't hold up.

condolences

Yeah, the taxis from Pearson to downtown cost a fortune. This airport looks much more reasonable.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

sellouts posted:

That being said, officially back in the saddle for international work travel on Saturday. Going to completely ignore my previous regimen for eating healthy on the road because it's goddamn London, Paris and Rome and I haven't been in a while.

Hot drat that's a hell of a slate. I wish there was some reason for work to send me to London because the burgers at MEATmission have been haunting my dreams for over a year.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
I am an AA Plat and doing an international economy award ticket travel in a few months.

As I understand it, I will not have access to AA lounges in the States, or Qantas domestic lounges, but should otherwise have access to all Oneworld Lounges. Is this correct? Are there Qantas international lounges separate from the domestic lounges?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Buckhead posted:

I am an AA Plat and doing an international economy award ticket travel in a few months.

As I understand it, I will not have access to AA lounges in the States, or Qantas domestic lounges, but should otherwise have access to all Oneworld Lounges. Is this correct? Are there Qantas international lounges separate from the domestic lounges?

You get lounge access on your international itinerary. So, you get access to the lounge of whomever you're travelling on while on that journey. So, yeah, get blitzed at the Admirals club before you leave.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

everything about the porter experience is fun, especially their mascot :3:

E: I never flew into Meigs back when it existed but I imagine it felt something like landing at Bishop.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Buckhead posted:

Not really sure what you mean by your question here. Qantas international and domestic lounges are in different terminals and so therefore separate?

You have Qantas Club for domestic which I believe Oneworld Sapphire will let you in and Qantas Domestic business lounge for Oneworld Emerald. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

I am not familiar with AA status so it might be very different to Qantas.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, every Delta flight I've had this year so far has been late. Only once did it work to my advantage.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

TheImmigrant posted:

So I have to go to Toronto for a meeting on Friday, and am spending the weekend. Fuckers are flying me vermin class on Porter Air. How bad are we talking? And where in Toronto should I take my date on Saturday evening?

I had to fly CLT (my favorite airport code) - DTW - DCA last year. That sucked.

If I have to fly into Toronto I would beg borrow and steal to get on Porter.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Barry posted:

If I have to fly into Toronto I would beg borrow and steal to get on Porter.

This makes me feel better. For some reason, I was anticipating a Spirit-like experience.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

Fists Up posted:

Not really sure what you mean by your question here. Qantas international and domestic lounges are in different terminals and so therefore separate?

You have Qantas Club for domestic which I believe Oneworld Sapphire will let you in and Qantas Domestic business lounge for Oneworld Emerald. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

I am not familiar with AA status so it might be very different to Qantas.

Got it now - I was just a little confused by this asterisk under the AAdvantage benefits chart: "Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded." I wasn't aware of the distinction between Qantas's lounges, but sounds like I should be good to go as long as I'm flying out of an international terminal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

This makes me feel better. For some reason, I was anticipating a Spirit-like experience.

The only issue is if you really, really do not like prop planes. Porter only flies Q400s which are quite new and have cabin noise cancelling and are frankly nicer than most RJs but they are 74-seat turboprops with I think an extra inch of pitch?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The only issue is if you really, really do not like prop planes. Porter only flies Q400s which are quite new and have cabin noise cancelling and are frankly nicer than most RJs but they are 74-seat turboprops with I think an extra inch of pitch?

No worries with that - I'll enjoy the novelty for 90 minutes. Looks like the only downside to Porter is that I have to schlep all the way out to IAD instead of DCA. I loving hate Dulles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I was pretty worried about the turboprop but it's only really semi-annoying on takeoff. Otherwise it's pretty indistinguishable from a jet.