Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
My brother works at target and picked up an older, store display model iPad mini. I'm trying to activate the thing but its saying that its linked to an Apple ID and is asking for the account that it was set up with. It gives a hint that it's a hotmail account but that's about it. Finding whoever set this thing up will be impossible so what are my options? Am I boned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

visuvius posted:

Am I boned?
Yep, return it.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Fuckkkk. This tard has had it in the back of his car for like the last year so I'm doubting that will work out. Thats what makes finding the person who set it up difficult. With turnover being what it is at a place like Target I imagine whoever worked Electronics like a year and a half ago isn't there anymore. Oh well, pricey lesson I guess.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

visuvius posted:

Fuckkkk. This tard has had it in the back of his car for like the last year so I'm doubting that will work out. Thats what makes finding the person who set it up difficult. With turnover being what it is at a place like Target I imagine whoever worked Electronics like a year and a half ago isn't there anymore. Oh well, pricey lesson I guess.

Not a pricey lesson for you, though, right?

Give your brother the thing back and tell him it's his problem for being an idiot.

Just an FYI. An apple store CAN unlock one of these, although they absolutely won't without a proof of purchase for the NEW serial numbered iPad, a used proof of purchase from a second hand store, even a wallmart or target isn't enough. A little over a year ago there was a huge problem where a small Chinese group was able to access iCloud records and, without ever having physical access to an iPad, could turn on the Where's My iPad functionality attached to that account, but connect it to another iCloud account. These were always tied to a QQ.com email address, but Apple never got to the bottom of it, and IOS 8.1.3 and a server side fix sorted the problem out. Apple stores at that time unlocked a few thousand devices, so they can do it. If the address it is currently attached to is a ****@qq.com address, there's a tiny chance you might get some joy at an apple store, though I would expect without a proof of purchase they'll just wave you away.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Not a pricey lesson for you, though, right?

Give your brother the thing back and tell him it's his problem for being an idiot.

Just an FYI. An apple store CAN unlock one of these, although they absolutely won't without a proof of purchase for the NEW serial numbered iPad, a used proof of purchase from a second hand store, even a wallmart or target isn't enough. A little over a year ago there was a huge problem where a small Chinese group was able to access iCloud records and, without ever having physical access to an iPad, could turn on the Where's My iPad functionality attached to that account, but connect it to another iCloud account. These were always tied to a QQ.com email address, but Apple never got to the bottom of it, and IOS 8.1.3 and a server side fix sorted the problem out. Apple stores at that time unlocked a few thousand devices, so they can do it. If the address it is currently attached to is a ****@qq.com address, there's a tiny chance you might get some joy at an apple store, though I would expect without a proof of purchase they'll just wave you away.

A receipt with the serial number and name with ID will get an unlock.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

tuyop posted:

The only justification required is that the product sells so that a profit is made. I hope you don't actually think that any company owes you some fair tiering of services. The answer is just that people keep buying the thing, whether it's a smaller tablet or lovely cable.

Like, why do women's clothes cost so much despite being just like relatively tiny strips of fabric?

That's missing my point. I'm not questioning why a company puts a particular price tag on a particular product, I'm questioning the logic behind placing the SAME price on two products of clearly different quality (for lack of a better term).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Well, I have an iPad Air with a cracked screen. Been waiting a few months for this announcement to replace it with a 9.7" Pro. Turns out they talked me into a 13". I didn't want a tablet this big, but them halving the RAM talked me into it. I can get it for $807 from Target which is a whole $58 more than the 128GB 9.7". I WAITED FOR NOTHING. WOE IS ME.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm one of the seemingly rare unicorns that actually does work stuff and even makes things using an iPad and the Apple Pencil is by far the nicest, most capable stylus you can get.

Speaking of work: does anyone here have experience doing development on iOS? I lug my laptop around for that usually but being able to do even some of what I do on mac os x in that department would be super nice and basically seal the deal on me getting a pro. I mean, I'm probably going to get the smaller pro anyway but still.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Can't you just wipe it clean? I don't think it's bricked...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Taima posted:

Can't you just wipe it clean? I don't think it's bricked...

It's activation locked. Generally you won't be able to do anything with it without using the Apple ID associated with it to unlock it or convince Apple to unlock it for you, which they require proof of original purchase for.

On the plus side, the fact that it's only good for parts means iOS devices aren't as desired by thieves. http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/11/iphone-theft-activation-lock/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Amish Ninja posted:

Speaking of work: does anyone here have experience doing development on iOS? I lug my laptop around for that usually but being able to do even some of what I do on mac os x in that department would be super nice and basically seal the deal on me getting a pro. I mean, I'm probably going to get the smaller pro anyway but still.

It depends. If you're talking X-Code, then no.

I do some dev-ops scripting in python to make my group's life a little easier when it comes to network management. I normally use PyCharm, but I have done some coding using Textastic on the iPad and moving the code into my PyCharm project. It does syntax highlighting and all the other little things you'd expect from a code editor. It stores files in iCloud by default, so they're easy to grab from the computer (plus the OS X version of Textastic is pretty nice, as well).

There's always Codeanywhere.com which has cloud based dev environments and they do have an iOS app. I looked into it, but there was some reason I rejected it. I think it was because they didn't have Python3 available.

At the last there's Prompt 2 (the BEST ssh client on iOS), if you want to log into your server and just code using vim.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just bought an Air 2. Regarding cases/covers, is the Apple smart case the way to go, or is there a better third party option?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ddogflex posted:

Well, I have an iPad Air with a cracked screen. Been waiting a few months for this announcement to replace it with a 9.7" Pro. Turns out they talked me into a 13". I didn't want a tablet this big, but them halving the RAM talked me into it. I can get it for $807 from Target which is a whole $58 more than the 128GB 9.7". I WAITED FOR NOTHING. WOE IS ME.

Picked it up on my lunch break. It's not heavy at all, it's loving gigantic though. Probably a good thing more than a bad thing, I really just use my iPad at home or when traveling.

I tried to get Applecare (Apple Store is just down the street from Target), but they didn't show it as "sold" yet. Anyone had that come up before? I wonder how long I should wait to go back... I didn't realize they sold Applecare at Target until after I left. Oops.

Also, the three panel smart cover is pretty comical this large. Why cant we have the 4 panels again? :cry:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4 panel would probably make too short of a rest, I guess?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

fordan posted:

It's activation locked. Generally you won't be able to do anything with it without using the Apple ID associated with it to unlock it or convince Apple to unlock it for you, which they require proof of original purchase for.

On the plus side, the fact that it's only good for parts means iOS devices aren't as desired by thieves. http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/11/iphone-theft-activation-lock/

Okay so I think I'm going to try to sell this thing on Craigslist for parts. What do you guys think is a decent price?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

It depends. If you're talking X-Code, then no.

I do some dev-ops scripting in python to make my group's life a little easier when it comes to network management. I normally use PyCharm, but I have done some coding using Textastic on the iPad and moving the code into my PyCharm project. It does syntax highlighting and all the other little things you'd expect from a code editor. It stores files in iCloud by default, so they're easy to grab from the computer (plus the OS X version of Textastic is pretty nice, as well).

There's always Codeanywhere.com which has cloud based dev environments and they do have an iOS app. I looked into it, but there was some reason I rejected it. I think it was because they didn't have Python3 available.

At the last there's Prompt 2 (the BEST ssh client on iOS), if you want to log into your server and just code using vim.

Well, we've developed a little with the iPad, as I mentioned a couple of months ago.

Funso Banjo posted:

We use it for software development. We have an in-house c# compiler that runs on the pro (and both airs, but everything is so much more comfortable on the pro) and can actually compile and then run apps on the same iPad. Apple said we can't sell it (we really tried), and before submission we still have to run apps at least once through xCode. But I can do almost my entire job through the Pro now, whereas before I was tied to a Mac and a desk.

It does require a little bit of messing around, and can never completely remove the need for xcode, but it is pretty cool. We did one small project almost completely with it and IOS-bound pixelmator during an in-house jam, but that was more on principal than because it was a great way to develop software. While I can do my job on it if I had too, it's not really viable when deadlines and lines of code per day matter. I've found that I'm much slower away from a desktop mac.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 25, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's iPad mini has the notification for iOS 9.3, but it keeps failing to verify the update. I've tried rebooting the thing as well as resetting the network settings, but still the problem persists. I saw one site that suggested deleting the update from the iCloud backup, but I didn't find anything to do with the OS in that settings menu. What else can I try?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

My wife's iPad mini has the notification for iOS 9.3, but it keeps failing to verify the update. I've tried rebooting the thing as well as resetting the network settings, but still the problem persists. I saw one site that suggested deleting the update from the iCloud backup, but I didn't find anything to do with the OS in that settings menu. What else can I try?

Maybe hold off for a week or two:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/03/apple-pulls-ios-9-3-update-for-older-devices-following-activation-problems/

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for that. The update worked fine on my iPhone 5, but has failed to work at all on my iPad 3, which is odd.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wow, I didn't realize this was a Mini 2! Thanks for the info.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Updated just fine on my Mini 2 V:shobon:V

App13
Dec 31, 2011

How does everyone keep their iPad screen clean? I use a pro for work and school (geologist) and after an hour my screen gets pretty blotchy with finger prints etc.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

App13 posted:

How does everyone keep their iPad screen clean? I use a pro for work and school (geologist) and after an hour my screen gets pretty blotchy with finger prints etc.

I would suggest ordering some AmazonBasics microfiber cloths. Whether I'm cleaning my glasses, phone or laptop screen, microfiber cloths really get the job done.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I would suggest ordering some AmazonBasics microfiber cloths. Whether I'm cleaning my glasses, phone or laptop screen, microfiber cloths really get the job done.

Perfect, thank you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

App13 posted:

Shirt sleeve.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just buy a new one.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

App13 posted:

Turn up the brightness. Then you just won't even notice unless in direct sunlight.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Shirt sleeve.

Spit on it first, then use shirt sleeve.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
put a screen cover on it

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Why are you touching the screen? Don't touch screens.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Can anyone recommend a iPad Pro screen protector? I'm letting my kid use it and he has scratched the older iPad up enough that I'd want to protect this one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

App13 posted:

Rub it on my Buddha belly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boner Wad posted:

Can anyone recommend a iPad Pro screen protector? I'm letting my kid use it and he has scratched the older iPad up enough that I'd want to protect this one.

Honestly, I'd find a used iPad mini 2 or something, put it in a big case, and let him use that. The iPad Pro is imo too expensive to risk but neither iPad nor kid are mind and it's not my place to judge.

To be honest, I despise screen protectors, and they're even worse on big tablets. What you might consider is getting one of those bag-like ones (Idk if they make these for the ipad pro yet, i just assume); that way you could use it a nice case-less ipad pro, and when you let him play with it, toss it in.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
The only screen protector worth a drat that I've ever used is on my iPhone 5S and it's made by panzerglass. Regular screen protectors are ugly, scratch almost immediately and are less smooth than the glass on the phone. Panzerglass screen protectors are a sheet of glass. They're a lot thicker than a plastic film but once you get used to the home button being a little deeper down in the face of the device, you forget it's there. They're expensive for the phone, so I imagine an iPad one will be especially pricey. I checked their website and they've made one for the big Pro so it's a matter of time until they got one for the smaller Pro.

Edit - I'll also echo the sentiment that you shouldn't let your kid ruin your expensive iPad and get him an older one to beat up, put that in one of those humongous cases for kids.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

fordan posted:

True story: I was mugged at gun point a year ago and they took everything but my iPhone 6. I tend to chalk that up to them overlooking it, but it's funny to think that they saw it and decided "eh, not worth it" :v:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I am planning on getting a Pro in the next couple of months, but I'm unsure on which size I want. My biggest two concerns are the ram and multitasking. After seeing how many more pixels the 12.9" has to push, I'm a lot less worried about the ram, but the size of the screen is still getting at me. Does stuff like picture in picture and the multiwindowing still look okay on the Air 2, or is it squished? Having more room to watch a YouTube video in the corner or something sounds nice but unless the 10" feels puny I don't think I'm worried about it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Are you close to a store where you could go try them out side by side? That'd probably be the best way to get an idea of what to expect.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

That's true, I'll head out to the best buy the next time I'm out. I like the idea of using the 9.7" as a portable notebook with a pencil, but it's just the multitasking that's got me worried. (and the price of the case+cover vs the price of the old smart case, but that's whatever.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BottleKnight posted:

That's true, I'll head out to the best buy the next time I'm out. I like the idea of using the 9.7" as a portable notebook with a pencil, but it's just the multitasking that's got me worried. (and the price of the case+cover vs the price of the old smart case, but that's whatever.)
Hell I multitask on an iPad mini, I think it works the same way as the 9.7". Off the top of my head the main things that'd sway in favor of the larger iPad is just sheer size (it's a significant difference), and I think (but not 100% on this) in 50/50 view the big one does "full" layouts of apps vs the mobile/iPhone layouts. Like Safari goes from all the stuff on top in the full iPad view, to the iPhone view where buttons are on the bottom with just address bar at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I use the Big Pro as a notebook all the time (in the month I've had it) and it works great in that role.

I took it on the road for the first time while leaving my laptop at home this week, from Sun-Thur, and didn't miss my computer a single time. It actually came in handy being able to say "oops sorry my team will have to update that PowerPoint remotely" even though I'm sure I could've done it myself.

The split screen functionality is awesome to be honest, was able to watch what was being shared on a WebEx and take notes via Evernote at the same time. Just like a real computer :3