Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah you really gotta kill them one at a time and mop up the trash first. The fight is pretty easy if you just stock up on holy water urns from that Blue Sentinel dude.
Honestly, it took the third try to figure out that the Lords didn't act as necromancers, and that just kind of made the fight easy as hell. I figured it was a Nito/4K mashup, but instead its just a swarm of undead with a shared health pool and three guys that are pretty pitiful themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elysiume posted:

How effective is the Delicate String (ring that increases your chance of being invaded)? I want to get my brawl on.

If you conduct an NPC massacre before going on to NG+, you will never want for invaders.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So, I'm running a hex build with my character but I don't really have a weapon I can reliably use yet aside from my staff. I just picked up both the Great Scythe and the Scythe of Nahr Alma. Nahr Alma's has the natural dark damage scaling, but requires Twinkling titanite to upgrade, and that's all going to my staff at the moment. Would imbuing the Great Scythe with dark instead be worthwhile?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

TheQat posted:

If you kill him you can resurrect him at the nearby bonfire (a gravestone will appear after a while) for 14k

I killed him but still no gravestone, how long does it usually take?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Welp, just took out my host during the Pursuer because I love pulling levels all day.

Best game. :allears:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lordfrikk posted:

Keep doing other stuff, it's probably based on bonfire travel somehow

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

lordfrikk posted:

The wikis just say it takes "several visits" to his cell for the stone to appear.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

skasion posted:

If you conduct an NPC massacre before going on to NG+, you will never want for invaders.

I'm fairly sure I can hit BoB Rank 3 with the amount of invasions I get (I forget if invasions onto my turf count for that though)

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

After some more experiments I think I figured out how to do a 180 attack out of a roll. You do not have to rotate the stick to do it, you can just hold it back while you are rolling. Now the roll attack is limited to an angle change of 90 degrees. However If you watch and listen to the roll animation while holding the stick in the opposite direction of your roll you will notice that your character will start turning as the model is coming out of a roll and eventually sort of twitch and make a little "clothes ruffling" sound as he stops his momentum. That twitch seems to indicate that the rolling animation has stopped and if you do an attack then, you will simply get a regular attack. The key to doing a 180 roll attack is to watch the animation as the model is turning around. You want to let the model turn 90 degrees and hit attack before it does the twitch. The model is turned 90 degrees, then the roll attack allows you an angle change of up to 90, 90+90 you get a nice 180 attack reversal move.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
So, if I ascetic the Sinner's Rise bonfire, will that include her two little helpers being included into the fray?

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm level 65 with 1,500,000 SM, still nothing :negative:

That seems off, I'm at about the same soul memory but level 115. It's not like I ignored upgrading either. Got a +10 mace / chime, +8 Shield and all my armor is +6.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

neetengie posted:

So, if I ascetic the Sinner's Rise bonfire, will that include her two little helpers being included into the fray?

Yup.

Hey, do they drop anything, like the Flexile adds?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

I'm not sure who you mean, but when she hits a certain amount of health two black phantom pyromancers show up.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Yup.

Hey, do they drop anything, like the Flexile adds?

As far as I know, no. They look very familiar though.

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not sure who you mean, but when she hits a certain amount of health two black phantom pyromancers show up.

Two little helpers = two black phantoms :v:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Filthy Haiku posted:

So, I'm running a hex build with my character but I don't really have a weapon I can reliably use yet aside from my staff. I just picked up both the Great Scythe and the Scythe of Nahr Alma. Nahr Alma's has the natural dark damage scaling, but requires Twinkling titanite to upgrade, and that's all going to my staff at the moment. Would imbuing the Great Scythe with dark instead be worthwhile?

To expand on this; pretty much any weapon who's moveset I like can make a servicable dark weapon right?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

As far as I know, no. They look very familiar though.

Two little helpers = two black phantoms :v:

Ah I thought maybe I had missed someone in her opening cutscene or something. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well, gently caress. I finally get through Bastile, kill the Sinner, and burn an ascetic at McDuff's workshop, only to realize that the craftsman's hammer is the ONLY chest in his shop that's not a wooden chest.

Oh well, good thing the nice smith in Majula will give you HIS spare hammer once you spend enough souls upgrading gear nad talk to him enough.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Trying out the duel-wielding class, it's pretty fun. There's that part in the intro place, after you've gotten the smooth stone, where those voices ask for it. I don't see any thing though, how the heck do I give the stone to what ever it is?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Man the path to the chariot is annoying those staff guys just seem to randomly ignore my poise damage to keep attacking.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

Lionguild posted:

That seems off, I'm at about the same soul memory but level 115. It's not like I ignored upgrading either. Got a +10 mace / chime, +8 Shield and all my armor is +6.

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm level 70 and I don't even have 500k SM

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a spell players can hold that shoot out like... 5 really big explosive fireball lasers? I just got annihilated and I don't know what by (I didn't see him cast anything, and their travel time was faster than Avelyn shots).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

derriere demons posted:

Trying out the duel-wielding class, it's pretty fun. There's that part in the intro place, after you've gotten the smooth stone, where those voices ask for it. I don't see any thing though, how the heck do I give the stone to what ever it is?

Smooth and Silky stones are what they're looking for. You just go into your inventory while standing on the nest and use the "Leave" command (Not use, not drop) to leave the item (drop just trashes the item), and you have to do it one item at a time. You can get some good swag from them.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Ah I thought maybe I had missed someone in her opening cutscene or something. :v:

Well just did it and can confirm that they don't show up if you ascetic the bonfire. Did this again for Flame Weapon and the Sinner's Sword that I missed out on.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

derriere demons posted:

Just stand in/near the bird's nest, go into your inventory to the smooth & silky stone, select the "leave" option (NOT "use"). Pick up whatever they've traded you from the nest. You never actually see them I don't think.

You can also trade prism stones and petrified somethings when you find them.

neetengie posted:

Well just did it and can confirm that they don't show up if you ascetic the bonfire. Did this again for Flame Weapon and the Sinner's Sword that I missed out on.

Yeah, I just looked it up and figured it would be the same as the NG+ fight but I guess that one isn't.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

neetengie posted:

No, those only show up on a real NG+. Intensity 2 will add phantoms throughout the Rise, though. At least, on 360.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Studio posted:

Is there a spell players can hold that shoot out like... 5 really big explosive fireball lasers? I just got annihilated and I don't know what by (I didn't see him cast anything, and their travel time was faster than Avelyn shots).

I'm guessing it was forbidden sun. It's basically an instant cast mini sun that flies 20 time the speed of light.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought I'd finally killed all the Ruin Sentinels in the Castle basement, because when I walked into the room their chambers were empty. Then they suddenly spawned out of thin air and all stabbed me at once.

Why did I invoke the wrath of the mummies curse :negative:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Just started NG+. For pretty much the whole game after the Bastille, I was going with a Royal Soldier cosplay after I noticed the sword's 1-handed R2 was a useful thrust and I liked how the helmet looked. Strike weapons may be the best, but apparently you really don't need to care if you don't want to. Also sunbro'd more in that one run than I had across 9 characters in DS1, and boy is Sunlight Spear a motherfucker of a spell. I had seemingly out-souled everyone at the end of my run and hadn't reached rank 3 yet, but luckily I was really close and only had to grind one medal off of those master-blaster dudes outside the covenant shrine.

I used my one Seed of the Tree of Giants for the first time when I was invaded by a Havel armor + dual lance guy in the forest, and proceeded to run past every enemy. It was hilarious fighting the guy in a giant melee with a bastard sword hollow, the two spear hollows, and a turtle guard. I need to find where to get more of those seeds!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I respecced so I could use Havel's feet/boots for the poise and it helps so much in duels. Being able to retaliate in the middle of being hit is something a lot of people don't expect. Bridge Approach in Huntsman's Copse is a really nice duel spot, and I'm seeing a lot of other red sigils. I'm Auriel, if anyone runs into me. My build is still sloppy because I've been so distracted with co-op and PvP. It's amazing playing a Dark Souls where they both actually work!

(although even that much poise is surprisingly worthless against a ton of weapons)

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 29, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
My new favorite thing:

1. Drop a single wooden arrow at the bottom of the staircase of the second floor of Belfry Luna
2. Chameleon on the 3rd floor of Belfry Luna by the hole in the floor.
3. Wait til invaders pick up the item, drop down, backstab with super powerful weapon of your choice.
4. Praise the Sun.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Studio posted:

It might be one of the firestorm spells maybe? There's a guy who has done showcases of all the different types of magic if you really want to know:

Pyromancies

Miracles

Sorceries

Hexes

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Two red phantoms can invade one person and the phantoms hurt each other? :psyduck: Well I assume the other guy was an invader and I was off of the soapstone, but still.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

How does the Demon Great Hammer scale with STR? Is it worth going above 25, seeing as it hits the soft cap two-handed? I don't plan on one-handing at all.

Also, the early game is fairly easy with one of those things. I was able to take over a half of a ruin sentinel's HP with a combo of 2 heavy attacks.

I don't think twinking is really fixed. If you just stop losing your souls or buying dumb poo poo with them, you can easily hit level 85 or something with only like 270k soul memory. I'm guessing that by the time I'll reach the real Bellfry PvP range, which will be at about 500k, I'll already be like level 125 with a +5 Pursuer Greatsword or some poo poo.

I'm fairly sure the real reason why you can't twink effectively is because you can't invade really non-sinners outside Bell and Rat invasions. I think? Confirm or deny, please.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I know that each character gets one or two chances to respec but for some reason that's not making it any easier to pick what stats to build/experiment with.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Smooth and Silky stones are what they're looking for. You just go into your inventory while standing on the nest and use the "Leave" command (Not use, not drop) to leave the item (drop just trashes the item), and you have to do it one item at a time. You can get some good swag from them.
I lucked out hard on my first playthrough by getting an old whip with my starter Petrified Something. I use it in my left hand with a notched in my main hand and it's so goddamn fun. poo poo for PvE, but I feel like with both whips poisoned I'm doing my duty as a Rat Bastard™

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

I know that each character gets one or two chances to respec but for some reason that's not making it any easier to pick what stats to build/experiment with.

Try to make a Vit build - I don't know a lot of high damage low requirement weapons, but I think one is the Ruler's Sword at least, along with the Burger King weapons and some weapons like the Bluemoon greatsword. Also you have 6 tries, so it's not as limiting. You can even make a Dex build :haw:

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

This game is really pretty

(ignore the really awful window edge, it's the side effect of my weird rear end borderless windowed hack and only shows up on my other monitor)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

neetengie posted:

Try to make a Vit build - I don't know a lot of high damage low requirement weapons, but I think one is the Ruler's Sword at least, along with the Burger King weapons and some weapons like the Bluemoon greatsword. Also you have 6 tries, so it's not as limiting. You can even make a Dex build :haw:

can you also get those 6 respecs again through new game+? I'm wondering just how much freedom I have here

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

neetengie posted:

My dex build has over 50% winrate in PvP! well maybe I'm not actually keeping track also I have a bunch of strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to run a punchy man with double cestus, any idea how not to get my rear end kicked? I upgrade them as I go and try to distribute my points evenly between Dex and Str but it just doesn't seem like a viable weapon.