Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If being 100% white and native born was supposed to give you such incredible powers of economy, how come there were ever other empires, historically speaking? Surely the superior Aryan would have immediately become the emperor of the planet instead of the wily Chinaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

If being 100% white and native born was supposed to give you such incredible powers of economy, how come there were ever other empires, historically speaking? Surely the superior Aryan would have immediately become the emperor of the planet instead of the wily Chinaman.

At least a century ago, the answer to they gave to this was that previous civilizations had efflorescences of culture, but that that produced dysgenic conditions (that we, at our height, are now allowing to be repeated) that they were never able to recover from. Nowadays "outbreeding" is the thing, at least among some sets, where the idea is that the Catholic Church discouraging cousin marriage led to a relatively less insular and more recently superior European race that was capable of large-scale cooperation, but alas this outbreeding meant they could not stand up for themselves (make your own "PC Master Race" joke here.) And then of course there's the Edenists who trace Aryan superiority back to the noble Neanderthal, suppressed by the Melonhead overlords for millions of years...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Curvature of Earth posted:

I've had a couple rationalists IM me on Tumblr after the fallout passed, and they're all extremely nice. It's absolutely amazing. Personal chats with them are what everybody wishes discussion on the internet could be like.

The nice ones are lovely! But they can't seem to recognise that what you do with loving terrible ideas is call them out as loving terrible and do stuff to stop them taking root, and what you do with people who keep pushing loving terrible ideas is get the gently caress rid of them from your social circle.

The rationalist community can't even recognize bad people. And with "confrontation" discouraged, they also preclude most mechanisms for removing bad people from a community. The rationalist movement is, ironically, the perfect petri dish for bad ideas.

They are also way too comfortable, and literally don't recognise that this stuff isn't hypothetical in other people's lives.

(except the temporarily embarrassed millionaires, who are on the skids but somehow still Libertarians.)

They keep adding me on Tumblr. I'll have to post more rationalist-baiting.

Nessus posted:

14 out of 88

:five:

Cingulate posted:

Scott probably also has some of the mildest, or at least comparatively mild, views within his circles.

Not understanding that his friends don't form a comprehensive political spectrum is one of his big problems.

divabot has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Dec 21, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

divabot posted:

The nice ones are lovely! But they can't seem to recognise that what you do with loving terrible ideas is call them out as loving terrible and do stuff to stop them taking root, and what you do with people who keep pushing loving terrible ideas is get the gently caress rid of them from your social circle.

This is essentially the most fundamental aspect of their personalities, and I'll eat all my hats if they ever realize that this does not make them rational. Perhaps we can invent some "social technologies" which will help them realize this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I had a friend who quit Tumblr partially because the LW crowd started enjoying his posts, which lead to being reblogged by LW into NRx into literal nazis.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope people who think I'm Scott/a neo[reactionary/rationalist] in disguise realize I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oligopsony posted:

At least a century ago, the answer to they gave to this was that previous civilizations had efflorescences of culture, but that that produced dysgenic conditions (that we, at our height, are now allowing to be repeated) that they were never able to recover from. Nowadays "outbreeding" is the thing, at least among some sets, where the idea is that the Catholic Church discouraging cousin marriage led to a relatively less insular and more recently superior European race that was capable of large-scale cooperation, but alas this outbreeding meant they could not stand up for themselves (make your own "PC Master Race" joke here.) And then of course there's the Edenists who trace Aryan superiority back to the noble Neanderthal, suppressed by the Melonhead overlords for millions of years...
Well if all of this is inevitable, isn't the thing to do to try to make sure conditions are better for the heroic rise of the Juggalo nation in a few hundred years?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Let this be a lesson to anyone who's ever wished for online debating free of vitriol: sooner or later you have to tell the evillest and/or most retarded like 10% to just gently caress off.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Time Dissolver posted:

Let this be a lesson to anyone who's ever wished for online debating free of vitriol: sooner or later you have to tell the evillest and/or most retarded like 10% to just gently caress off.

It doesn't work though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Metafilter had that problem for a long while- you were less likely to get static from the mods for politely denigrating the humanity of others than for angrily responding to same. That slowly changed/is changing, but overvaluing civility and allowing "civil" expression of gross bigotry is the sort of thing that a lot of nerds can't see the problem with.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

allowing "civil" expression of gross bigotry
Should expressing neoreactionary thoughts becomes illegal?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cingulate posted:

Where are you getting this question?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cingulate posted:

No, but it is important to understand that discouraging and/or banning a topic of conversation in a community does not require that topic to be illegal, nor is it a restriction on freedom of speech. Communities are free to set the boundaries on whatever they want to discuss, and if that does not include what you want to talk about you are still free to talk about those things elsewhere.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blastron posted:

No, but it is important to understand that discouraging and/or banning a topic of conversation in a community does not require that topic to be illegal, nor is it a restriction on freedom of speech. Communities are free to set the boundaries on whatever they want to discuss, and if that does not include what you want to talk about you are still free to talk about those things elsewhere.
Yes.

To not give a wrong impression, I'm actually very pro-political correctness - depending on what PC is assumed to mean, but definitely including at the very least sanctioning socially, but possibly also legally using insulting language against the less privileged qua being members of less privileged groups.
(Where "less privileged" = disabled, minority, etc.)

Pope Guilty posted:

Where are you getting this question?
You were skeptical of allowing expressing bigotry. I am inquiring wrt. your usage of "allow" here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cingulate posted:

Yes.

To not give a wrong impression, I'm actually very pro-political correctness - depending on what PC is assumed to mean, but definitely including at the very least sanctioning socially, but possibly also legally using insulting language against the less privileged qua being members of less privileged groups.
You were skeptical of allowing expressing bigotry. I am inquiring wrt. your usage of "allow" here.

As an accepted behavior on general interest message boards with content policies.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, for a somewhat idiosyncratic definition of political correctness:

And there I thought it was looking down on calling people in wheelchairs "cripples", but no, turns out it's rape.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Yes.

I was talking about a website, you goof.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

And there I thought it was looking down on calling people in wheelchairs "cripples", but no, turns out it's rape.

Nope, everything that annoys me = rape
Actions that are rape = not that bad

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Nostalgebraist has a new side-Tumblr with a "please don't reblog" policy so he can write stuff without The Discourse(tm) making GBS threads all over everything. Though he did switch on Disqus comments. Anyway, he's started with a nice post on the gay Jewish SF end of neoreaction. It's pretty good.

MrRoivas
Sep 29, 2014

I've had a couple rationalists IM me on Tumblr after the fallout passed, and they're all extremely nice. It's absolutely amazing. Personal chats with them are what everybody wishes discussion on the internet could be like.

divabot's mentioned something like this before: SSC is super-nice in person, therefore no one ever confronts him about his beliefs to his face. I think this might be a community-wide thing: everyone is polite. There's a cognitive wall between "politics" and "personal interactions". In the short and medium term, this fosters an extremely pleasant community. If you find normal internet discussion too heated and counterproductive for your tastes, then the rationalist community is ideal and generally welcoming.

In the long term, it invites and tolerates crackpots and bigots. Because their "safe space" is entirely oriented around politeness, anybody willing to (mostly) abide by that rule can stay forever. It creates a sort of cognitive blind spot, building a community where no one really makes the connection between "this person salivates for the suffering of millions" and "this person is bad and shouldn't be welcome here."

The rationalist community can't even recognize bad people. And with "confrontation" discouraged, they also preclude most mechanisms for removing bad people from a community. The rationalist movement is, ironically, the perfect petri dish for bad ideas.

I just realized the entirety of the rationalist community is one based on using The Five Geek Social Fallacies as their version of the Ten Commandments.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Roosh was apparently on British TV tonight, as part of an episode focusing on MRAs in a series about extreme culture in the UK. I had to explain to my friends that yes, he believes all of that; and no, 30 minutes is not nearly enough to even scrape the surface of this particular well of lunacy.

I'm vaguely annoyed that knowing about Roosh is taking up part of my memory I could be using for something more useful, such as remembering a particularly good poo poo I had once.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

In that they wish to encourage under-reporting rapes?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Klaus88 posted:

In that they wish to encourage under-reporting rapes?

Only ones committed by white people.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Roosh was apparently on British TV tonight, as part of an episode focusing on MRAs in a series about extreme culture in the UK. I had to explain to my friends that yes, he believes all of that; and no, 30 minutes is not nearly enough to even scrape the surface of this particular well of lunacy.

I'm vaguely annoyed that knowing about Roosh is taking up part of my memory I could be using for something more useful, such as remembering a particularly good poo poo I had once.

I had a very strange evening trying to convince my sister that Return of Kings isn't actually satire.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had a very strange evening trying to convince my sister that Return of Kings isn't actually satire.

You know what?

Thanks. Thanks for reminding me most of the world isn't involved even tangentially in these idiots' politics, as overrepresented as they are on reddit and imgur and other moldy places on the internet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's loving harder than it sounds.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm not entirely convinced myself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Nostalgebraist has a new side-Tumblr with a "please don't reblog" policy so he can write stuff without The Discourse(tm) making GBS threads all over everything. Though he did switch on Disqus comments. Anyway, he's started with a nice post on the gay Jewish SF end of neoreaction. It's pretty good.

Yeah this is pretty much on-point.

I think he was the guy who said manosphere dudes want to be John Wayne in a way that John Wayne would probably have just been confused by.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cingulate posted:

Civil in this context means "polite", not "related to the government". For example, "I think we should avoid willful misinterpretation of every anti-NRx post as a pro-facist sentiment, or constant just-asking-questions about how maybe NRxers are merely misunderstood" qualifies as civil, but "Cingulate is a loving awful poster and his bullshit makes this thread unreadable" is not. I hope that clears up any confusion :)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Civil in this context means "polite", not "related to the government". For example, "I think we should avoid willful misinterpretation of every anti-NRx post as a pro-facist sentiment, or constant just-asking-questions about how maybe NRxers are merely misunderstood" qualifies as civil, but "Cingulate is a loving awful poster and his bullshit makes this thread unreadable" is not. I hope that clears up any confusion :)
Ha, first read, I missed the "anti" and thought, not that bad of a post. But alas.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Lady Naga posted these in the other thread, and they are goddamn hilarious.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://www.donotlink.com/framed?825759

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

FWIW, "donotlink" is pointless on SA - literally all that donotlink does is deny the target site Google juice - it doesn't block content or ads, still hits the target server - and SA already puts rel="nofollow" on external links.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

FWIW, "donotlink" is pointless on SA - literally all that donotlink does is deny the target site Google juice - it doesn't block content or ads, still hits the target server - and SA already puts rel="nofollow" on external links.

Well thanks for that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

It all keeps coming back to Caesar's Legion to me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Caesar is also bad at Hegel.

Mind you, he is still more intelligent than Roosh, in the way that most fictional supervillains are more intelligent than Roosh.

Skeletor could pick up way more chicks than Roosh.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Skeletor could pick up way more chicks than Roosh.

We already know this is not true, from how Roosh's prowess at raping picking up drunk women was a major factor in the first Sarkeesian Effect breakup.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Top: a masterful seducer with an erotic appeal much beyond what you'd expect from his physical appearance. Bottom: a Hegelian philosopher. Or the other way around, I can't quite tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
So what has ESR done now that all the internet fuckheads are out defending him against the skeletons?

i.e. https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/679852515861467136

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Dec 24, 2015