Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm perpetually torn on Morrowloot. The artifacts sound really nice, but it seems to drastically change the gameplay loop in a way that makes alternate weapon, armor, and start mods feel different. Then again, I might just be hesitant due to it not having a patch for Heavy Armory on LE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

axeil posted:

Okay, can anyone who has experience with Morrowloot Ultimate explain how the hell you unlock daedric smithing? The mod author's a real :nexus: and acts like knowing this is like knowing who killed JFK. There's absolutely nothing on the Internet about what the hell you're supposed to do except people cryptically saying ~*do the thing*~.

I've already finished the main Dragonborn quest and gotten all 7 of the black books and done all the side quests and gotten all the crafting-related smithing perks. What the hell am I missing?

edit: I mean look at this :smug: poo poo. I don't care about lore I'm level 50 and everything dies in practically one hit, I'd like to use all the 8 million dragon bones and ebony I've been saving.

loving modders.

Opening up Morrloot Ultimate, it looks like the added condition is that you need to have all 7 of the black books. Other than that, :shrug:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Opening up Morrloot Ultimate, it looks like the added condition is that you need to have all 7 of the black books. Other than that, :shrug:

Ah yes, do literally all the sidequests in what is clearly meant to be post-game DLC, including the one where you pays lots of money and wait around for an obvious conman to dig out Yet Another Dragur Tomb, just so you can forge some armor and a hammer. Yes, excellent mod design there.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
~the lore~

~my immersion~

I have never liked any variant of Morrowloot for reasons like this. But I also never played Morrowind so maybe I'm just not gonna see the appeal, it's not really for me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

And yet I have them all and it doesn't work.

loving :nexus:

The Bee posted:

I'm perpetually torn on Morrowloot. The artifacts sound really nice, but it seems to drastically change the gameplay loop in a way that makes alternate weapon, armor, and start mods feel different. Then again, I might just be hesitant due to it not having a patch for Heavy Armory on LE.

I honestly wouldn't use it again. The loot elements are good (no more random bandits running around with insane gear) but I think the modder got too far up his own rear end about things. Plus the game now actively punishes you if you stray from the "correct" path. I was fighting Draugur Deathlords at level 15 because I decided to go exploring.

There are also tons of undocumented "features" that aren't part of what you're getting on the tin like removing everything daedric in the entire game save for one of each item/armor, sticking Dwemer crafting behind the Dwemer Knowledge quest, restricting ebony forging to the skyforge only ( :wtc: ) and breaking tempering so it's useless to upgrade things.

I'd uninstall but I'm worried it'll break things and at this point I just need to do Dawnguard, The Civil War and finish the main quest and my playthrough is done.

If you want the artifacts to be more significant, just get Zim's (I think) Artifacts Enhancement. Makes things that should be powerful, really powerful without getting absurdly broken. That one amulet you get that's a combo of 3 amulets now gives +10% to skill levels and +10% to skill gain instead of a measly +50 to health or whatever it was.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm sure there's a good version of Morrowloot but I can't remember which one it is

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It aint Morrowloot Ultimate.

It's the butchered version I used where I ripped out everything but the hand-placed loot.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So basically they felt they had to break the one way you *can* sequence break in Skyrim (do nothing but craft until you’re wearing enchanted daedric armor) so that they could preserve the fun of Morrowind’s loot system, which was mostly just going to pick up daedric poo poo real early in order to sequence break?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
MLU SE has patches to remove the changes to tempering and encounter zones, though you're still stuck with the other crafting changes

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

So basically they felt they had to break the one way you *can* sequence break in Skyrim (do nothing but craft until you’re wearing enchanted daedric armor) so that they could preserve the fun of Morrowind’s loot system, which was mostly just going to pick up daedric poo poo real early in order to sequence break?

Yeah pretty much.

I wish Skyrim handled uninstalling mods better so I could've ditched it a while ago but I'm not about to risk a 70+ hour save at this point.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I mean, those features are all documented on the mod page. At the same time, they just feel unfun. I'm guessing it isn't balanced around alternate start mods, either.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Clark Nova posted:

I haven't actually played with Morrowloot so I can't speak to its implementation, but, being someone who very rarely deliberately sequence breaks, I like the idea behind organically stumbling upon rare and precious loot. I'll almost definitely use it if I do another playthrough of Skyrim but it seems like it's geared towards a specific type of player. Like both of those things that you mentioned (exploiting crafting and deliberately picking up Daedric items early) are things I would never do.

Although to be fair, I have vague memories of raiding the Ghostgate for glass armor in Morrowind with one character, so I've been there too. I guess if you're on your umpteenth character then it loses the attraction.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

Whenever I play morrowind I always go to that super high level end game cave with the best gauntlets in the game right at the start because if you go at level 1 the leveled lists don't include any of the proper enemies and its just like 4 weak dunmer. After that you go and walk into that mine near balmora and immediately leave for a free daedric weapon. Along the way you get the tax money and have the murderer attack you then report him as the murderer so you keep the money and get paid extra for finding him then you tell his wife he was killed she gives you some good potions then you kill her to get the very high quality ring back that can hold max enchantment amounts. And so on. I can't imagine playing morrowind the proper way.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's still better than vanilla because the vanilla scaling loot is terrible :shrug: it should absolutely be more modular though, I hate feature creep.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 16, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Speaking of feature creep, what's the consensus on SIC? Some of the enemies in it look cool. Some look . . . dumb, for lack of a better term.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's still better than vanilla because the vanilla scaling loot is terrible :shrug: it should absolutely be more modular though, I hate feature creep.

I really disagree with this. The problem with stuff like Morrowloot is that while its interesting at first, it completely fucks up difficulty. It becomes way to easy to turn yourself into an overpowered death god because you found some absurd piece of gear. Which might seem cool at first but quickly loses its appeal for someone like me that wants combat to stay vaguely interesting. Then if you know about the location of something absurdly strong beforehand, you have to just ignore it otherwise you'll feel obligated to go straight for it. Cause if you're gonna break the game with OP loot eventually, why not just do it at the start?

I much prefer Skyrim because I feel like I can explore anywhere I want without accidentally turning myself into a death machine with one piece of OP gear. I think its a good compromise between the Morrowind system and Oblivion's ridiculous scaling where every bandit was equipped with glass armor the second you reach the appropriate level.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GunnerJ posted:

But I also never played Morrowind so maybe I'm just not gonna see the appeal, it's not really for me.

I have played Morrowind and the requirements in Morrowloot scream "cool concept, uneven implementation" which is manageable for a mod of small scope, but effectively MLU changes every single encounter you have in the entire game by altering your gear, progression, enemies, or some combination of all of those. I mean let's consider this in two ways:

1) gameplay. I guarantee there are edge cases that weren't considered/tested and are going to annoy the hell out of you when you hit one
2) this is the modding thread. Can we say compatibility nightmare? The author does admit that one up front, which I appreciate.

so, nah. I'll use small-scope mod fixes to fix the exact things Skyrim does that annoy me most and skip out on something which might fix ten problems and then add ten (or more) for me and my personal playstyle.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 16, 2018

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Honestly the real problem I've encountered with morrowloot is more that when you combine it with other mods, things can sometimes get wonky. Due to how ordinator handles enemy perks the draugr in bleak falls, especially the one at the end, end up crazy strong just from the perks they have.

Something maybe less of a problem (since it keeps them a threat), bandits don't have ebony or glass, but enemies with any amount of two-hand skill can killcam you from full health and they don't really have gear to make it worth fighting them. Almost everything I use at this point I've found just sitting on the ground in an obscure corner or bought from a khajit vendor.

I kinda wish there was a better solution. I like better gear being -harder- to find and enemies not running around in full daedric, but I shouldn't be the only one with good gear either.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I finally allowed myself to be tempted into buying Skyrim for the nth time thanks to the se being on sale. What're peoples thoughts on Chesko's mods vs the Creation survival mode? I always appreciated that Chesko appeared pretty thoughtful in his implementation, and from screenshots the Creation mod seems slim.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I really disagree with this. The problem with stuff like Morrowloot is that while its interesting at first, it completely fucks up difficulty. It becomes way to easy to turn yourself into an overpowered death god because you found some absurd piece of gear. Which might seem cool at first but quickly loses its appeal for someone like me that wants combat to stay vaguely interesting. Then if you know about the location of something absurdly strong beforehand, you have to just ignore it otherwise you'll feel obligated to go straight for it. Cause if you're gonna break the game with OP loot eventually, why not just do it at the start?

I much prefer Skyrim because I feel like I can explore anywhere I want without accidentally turning myself into a death machine with one piece of OP gear. I think its a good compromise between the Morrowind system and Oblivion's ridiculous scaling where every bandit was equipped with glass armor the second you reach the appropriate level.

You're not wrong on the first point. On the other hand it's great to organically discover a really challenging area, get through it at a low level by guile and sneakiness and get a powerful item way ahead of schedule. It's one of the most fun things about open world RPGs to me and it's something that's just absent in vanilla game.

Like what's the point of exploring and adventuring in vanilla? Everything you find is going to be of a similar quality. If you stumble across a legendary artefact at a lower level you've outright screwed yourself because it's going to be obsolete in a few levels. It's not quite Oblivion but it's very close.

There have to be other mods that fix this a bit right

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you stumble across a legendary artefact at a lower level you've outright screwed yourself because it's going to be obsolete in a few levels. It's not quite Oblivion but it's very close.

there are mods which fix the leveled list for legendary artifact thing, so at least partially yes. I agree that's an annoying thing about scaling. I've seen two solutions - one levels them up as you do and one just gives you max level on every unique item dropped. there are pros and cons to both approaches obviously, but they exist

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I wouldn't mind a mod that did relative encounter zone scaling. Rather than fully delevel, it could have certain areas always scale at Dragonborn + X until hitting a certain cap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're not wrong on the first point. On the other hand it's great to organically discover a really challenging area, get through it at a low level by guile and sneakiness and get a powerful item way ahead of schedule. It's one of the most fun things about open world RPGs to me and it's something that's just absent in vanilla game.

Like what's the point of exploring and adventuring in vanilla? Everything you find is going to be of a similar quality. If you stumble across a legendary artefact at a lower level you've outright screwed yourself because it's going to be obsolete in a few levels. It's not quite Oblivion but it's very close.

I can see the appeal of this but I don't think Skyrim is a good game for it. Doing something difficult early on to get a cool reward ahead of time is fun in a game like Dark Souls where the combat is challenging but your skill is the biggest factor in success. Vanilla Skyrim's combat is terrible in that regard since dodging attacks while also hitting the enemy is nearly impossible. If you're gonna take on difficult fights you have to abuse the OP stealth system and exploit bad AI. That's not skill overcoming difficulty though, that's just using broken mechanics which I get no satisfaction out of.

Now if you have downloaded the magical combination of mods that adds some degree of skill to combat then it would be more appealing. But if you've done that, you have probably elevated the difficulty of normal encounters significantly. So this area that is difficult in normal Morrowloot Skyrim will now be a nightmare hellscape that obliterates you.

I think a better solution to all this would just to implement some form of scaling on magical artifacts so they stay useful regardless of level.

The Bee posted:

I wouldn't mind a mod that did relative encounter zone scaling. Rather than fully delevel, it could have certain areas always scale at Dragonborn + X until hitting a certain cap.

I'm pretty sure vanilla Skyrim already works like that though. Some areas are always filled with trash baby enemies no matter what level you are.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I know that, but I meant taking more advantage of the minimum level feature without flat out deleveling the world. Instead, have it scale so a particular dwemer tomb scales at 5 levels above you until you hit level 20 or so. That way its always a challenge for low level characters, but not a complete overwhelming stomp

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think there are mods that kinda set the different "zones" of Skyrim to randomly have a higher or lower than expected level of difficulty. This doesn't get rid of the level scaling but it makes it so that if you encounter a high-difficulty area at level 10, the enemies might be level 15-20, and if you first went there at level 40 they'd be level 50-60 or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuligin posted:

I finally allowed myself to be tempted into buying Skyrim for the nth time thanks to the se being on sale. What're peoples thoughts on Chesko's mods vs the Creation survival mode? I always appreciated that Chesko appeared pretty thoughtful in his implementation, and from screenshots the Creation mod seems slim.

I really like Cheskos stuff.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fuligin posted:

I'm halfway-certain that survival mode was Chesko's contribution to the creation club. Survival mode, AFAIK, still isn't compatible with SkyUI, which (IMHO) is a dealbreaker.

The Bee posted:

Speaking of feature creep, what's the consensus on SIC? Some of the enemies in it look cool. Some look . . . dumb, for lack of a better term.

Its not bad. I stopped using the Oldrim version for ASIS, but every enemy type is toggleable in the MCM.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Survival mode, AFAIK, still isn't compatible with SkyUI, which (IMHO) is a dealbreaker.

There was a mod that fixed this, called "SkyUI - Show Armor Slots", but it got pulled from the :nexus: for some bullshit reason I don't care to seek out. Basically, Show Armor Slots was originally meant to tell you which body part were occupied by clothing and armor to avoid weird compatibility issues when you're making your character wear wings or tails or whatever other non-standard bullshit, but it got updated to also show warmth rating when survival mode is active. An update that never happened for regular SkyUI.

I have an old version from back when it was still available on the nexus, if you don't want to seek out the latest version on the slab.
https://ufile.io/sv2g1

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

There was a mod that fixed this, called "SkyUI - Show Armor Slots", but it got pulled from the :nexus: for some bullshit reason I don't care to seek out. Basically, Show Armor Slots was originally meant to tell you which body part were occupied by clothing and armor to avoid weird compatibility issues when you're making your character wear wings or tails or whatever other non-standard bullshit, but it got updated to also show warmth rating when survival mode is active. An update that never happened for regular SkyUI.

I have an old version from back when it was still available on the nexus, if you don't want to seek out the latest version on the slab.
https://ufile.io/sv2g1

Here's the latest version. Yes, I have a 'slab account. There was some armor made of mudcrabs that I wanted, that now appears to be gone. At least I saved a copy.

Edit: Not a dark souls player, but Holy poo poo that looks cool. :o

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2018

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Agents are GO! posted:

There was some armor made of mudcrabs that I wanted, that now appears to be gone. At least I saved a copy.

I saw this the other day.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Interesting news, Vortex (the new Mod Manager from Nexus Mods & the creator of Mod Organizer) has a public alpha: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/1 . The post emphasizes it is in alpha and not a replacement for NMM or MO yet but still good to see progress on it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Of course the 'slab would give your character crabs.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Agents are GO! posted:

Here's the latest version. Yes, I have a 'slab account. There was some armor made of mudcrabs that I wanted, that now appears to be gone. At least I saved a copy.

Edit: Not a dark souls player, but Holy poo poo that looks cool. :o

Can you tell us simple fools how to get this to work properly? I thought it was just a patch or plugin to SkyUI (5.2) but installing it on top in NMM resulted in an in-game error and flickering inventory items with no slots or warmth tags.

graynull fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 17, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Here's the latest version. Yes, I have a 'slab account.

That doesn't look like the actual latest version here.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Has anybody tried The Wizard Warrior? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14890

Some crazy bastard made it possible to cast spells while using regular weapons apparently. It looks interesting but I can't try it for a few days.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I use Smart Cast, which is a plugin that lets you autocast spells when a certain set of rules have been met.

You can also make up to 20 rings that cast specific spells when you put them on, which can all be bound to hotkeys.

I think this mod does something similar?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I use Smart Cast, which is a plugin that lets you autocast spells when a certain set of rules have been met.

You can also make up to 20 rings that cast specific spells when you put them on, which can all be bound to hotkeys.

I think this mod does something similar?

I just use Ocato's Recital from Apocalypse.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

That doesn't look like the actual latest version here.

Sorry, Cat Mattress, I bow to you superior knowledge of The Lovers Lab.

It appears you are absolutely correct.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 18, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

I just use Ocato's Recital from Apocalypse.

Probably one of the most useful spells from that pack. It makes being a mage much smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I see a Sprint and Jump mod in the OP, which is fantastic news, but is there a mod that lets you sprint diagonally and/or change direction while sprinting?