Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i haven't played this game since beating it after launch/before the first DLC launched. i was at a complete loss as to what to do or how to do it when i booted it up the other day. should i just restart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Legs Benedict posted:

i haven't played this game since beating it after launch/before the first DLC launched. i was at a complete loss as to what to do or how to do it when i booted it up the other day. should i just restart?

It might be more enjoyable to find the DLC "naturally" over the course of exploration in a new game, versus scouring the whole map in your existing game trying to find what's different. I don't think there's any shame in looking things up if you don't want to restart, though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jetrauben posted:

As I said before, the thing is, HK's biological body is the child of the Wyrm and Root - which then was sacrificed and had pure Void poured into it. That's the fundamental cruelty of the King's plan, it required the Pale King kill his own children to produce bodies capable of withstanding the Void inside them. This process obliterated the prior identity of the vessel in question; it's why the Vessels lack voices or conventional sex. (Compare to the Collector, who really is just a blob of shaped void-stuff.)

Whether the HK is, in any real respect, the bug its body used to be, or just empty Void following instructions, is an open question.

Except the bit where the place of your birth is the void, and the void shapes are the same as the knights etc. I'm pretty sure the idea is the Vessels are made from Root and created by the King and then infused with Void.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 20, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Forty hours in and I'm still finding new stuff. I never knew about the dream tree in the Forgotten Crossroads, or the fossilized Goam, or the wanderer's journal halfway up the well. Still haven't ever met Tuk. This fuckin' game

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Really Pants posted:

Forty hours in and I'm still finding new stuff. I never knew about the dream tree in the Forgotten Crossroads, or the fossilized Goam, or the wanderer's journal halfway up the well. Still haven't ever met Tuk. This fuckin' game

I don't remember who Tuk is lol. I can't remember where the Dream Tree is in the Crossroads either, if it isn't in the long vertical shaft with the Grub colony off the one edge.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember who Tuk is lol. I can't remember where the Dream Tree is in the Crossroads either, if it isn't in the long vertical shaft with the Grub colony off the one edge.

She's the big bug in the rightmost side of the topmost row of the sewers, who you can buy rotten eggs from. And yes there's a hidden dream tree in the right wall of that tall room.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's a shame you need to beat the Trial of Fools to complete the Hunter's Journal. I really don't have it in me to sit there and practice enough to beat it. I've never even made it to the boss :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Trial of the Fool mostly comes down to getting Fragile or Unbreakable Strength+Heart, Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, plus the Shade Cloak and Pure Nail, and then you have to memorize the waves and :getgud: at pogoing for the bits where the floor is spikes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i say this a lot but i feel like it gets overlooked frequently, the charm that summons an orbiting shield that deletes projectiles it touches and does a nail's worth of damage to any enemy it bumps into is extremely good for the trial of the fool

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I got pretty good at doing the first two thirds or so of the trial but could never get past the part where the floor is spikes. That one is just too much for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

YF-23 posted:

I got pretty good at doing the first two thirds or so of the trial but could never get past the part where the floor is spikes. That one is just too much for me.

i've got some bad news

the first "floor is spikes" segment in the Trial of the Fool is nowhere near two-thirds of the way through the trial

e: there are actually four separate instances of "the floor is spikes" so in fairness i'm not 100% certain which one you're thinking of

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've sort of given up on Trial of the Fool because I'm stuck with Fragile Strength (I did not know what the full consequences of banishment would be...), doubt I can do it without it and don't feel like hoofing it back to Leg Eater after every attempt. If I replay the game I'll probably go for it then.

RCarr posted:

It's a shame you need to beat the Trial of Fools to complete the Hunter's Journal. I really don't have it in me to sit there and practice enough to beat it. I've never even made it to the boss :(

This, however, can be done through the Hall of Gods. Go through the third pantheon (Sage?), the fourth fight is God Tamer. Even if you die you unlock her in the Hall of Gods and can beat the fight there. That worked for my journal completion.

edit: Since I'm here anyway I want to just say that I played this game for the first time, completely blind (at least until I beat it, then I allowed myself to look up some hints for the cleanup / 100% / etc.), over the past two weeks or so and it was just incredible. The best gaming experience I've had in a long, long time.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 6, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
TotF is very beatable without fragile strength. I did it and I'm bad/lazy enough that I never finished pantheon 3 and still am bitter at the devs over it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I've just given it a few more goes with Mark of Pride, Long Nail, Quick Slash and Dreamshield (after losing my Fragile Strength in the first attempt). It always feels very doable but I still end up dying somewhere in that long floor spikes sequence after the Brooding Mawlek. Definitely not impossible but much like the pantheons I don't know if I care enough to keep at it.

It is a reason to stay in Hallownest, though. Despite 67 hours played, beating the game with the first three endings and getting to 109% I still don't entirely feel ready to leave.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What usually kills you?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm just not precise enough in the air and end up flapping around too much, I think. I pogo on the fools but then get hit by the squits or aspids, or I try to take those out first and get hit by the fools. Over the course of several waves I end up taking too much damage. I don't know if there's much I can do other than get better. The wiki recommends Thorns of Agony, maybe it's worth dropping Long Nail for that since I'm taking all this damage. I might give that a try later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Charm selection has way less to do with it than nail upgrades, which in turn have way less to do with it than just getting better at the game's combat.

Remember that the Trial of the Fool has no material rewards and (prior to Godhome at least) basically just served as proof that you'd mastered the game's combat system. Honestly it kind of still serves that purpose, just for regular enemies instead of the arguably somewhat different skillset of defeating bosses.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Don't overlook Nailmaster's Glory: the Great Slash will kill an aspid in one shot and gives you a tiny moment of suspension in the air to collect yourself. It takes a little practice to get used to holding down the button while bouncing off the walls, but it really helps. I will say that I could never get used to Thorns of Agony--I feel like it throws my rhythm off just enough to be distracting.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Don't overlook Nailmaster's Glory: the Great Slash will kill an aspid in one shot and gives you a tiny moment of suspension in the air to collect yourself. It takes a little practice to get used to holding down the button while bouncing off the walls, but it really helps. I will say that I could never get used to Thorns of Agony--I feel like it throws my rhythm off just enough to be distracting.

I end up loving myself more often than not while holding a charge nail and then realizing I'm above an enemy and trying to pogo them, which results in the spinning slash move which sends me plummeting into the spikes below.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

brand new ultra strat: accidentally dodge into Great Husk Sentries for 1 contact damage, and avoid taking 2 damage from their greatnails

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
For trial of the fool try using the shaman stone with the upgraded abyss shreik. It frags a lot of the annoying flying enemies in one hit and does so in a HUGE area.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I feel like I got a lot better just by watching this person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnpYTq8KWE

One of the main lessons I learned was just to be more aggressive: go at everything, recover later

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just in case you don't already know: you can attack while sliding down walls. That can help against Squits and such.

e: your up-strikes and down-strikes can also reach through small platforms, even unupgraded.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 6, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nailmaster's Glory is the real trick for TotF yeah. It takes a little bit to get used to it but it gives you a huge advantage.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

For trial of the fool try using the shaman stone with the upgraded abyss shriek. It frags a lot of the annoying flying enemies in one hit and does so in a HUGE area.

Shaman Stone + upgraded Vengeful Spirit also kills a lot of the weak-but-annoying enemies (I'm looking at you, primal aspid) in one hit.

The charm combination I used to end up beating it was Nailmaster's Glory+Shaman Stone+Weaversong+Grubsong+Sprintmaster. The last three combo very well: Grubsong causers the Weavers' attacks to add to your Focus and Sprintmaster increases the Weavers' movespeed and range, so you end up getting a constant trickle of Focus throughout the fight. It lets you keep spellcasting through the aerial portions without needing to land nail hits consistently.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Oh hey, I beat it.

Ended up a mishmash of sorts from this thread's advice. Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, Dreamshield, Thorns of Agony and Nailmaster's Glory. You need to really get into the rhythm of constantly charging up your nail. It was touch and go towards the end of the spikes bit but I guess I got lucky, and once you're through that part the rest is much easier. Still almost fumbled God Tamer, though.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

OzFactor posted:

I feel like I got a lot better just by watching this person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnpYTq8KWE

One of the main lessons I learned was just to be more aggressive: go at everything, recover later

This strategy helps a lot with the Pantheons, imo. Putting damage on enemies as quickly as possible means you won't need to dodge their attacks for as long.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat that makes me feel terribly unskilled

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i've got some bad news

the first "floor is spikes" segment in the Trial of the Fool is nowhere near two-thirds of the way through the trial

e: there are actually four separate instances of "the floor is spikes" so in fairness i'm not 100% certain which one you're thinking of

The one that gives you no platforms to heal on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

After a series of hilarious disasters (who dies to Husk Guards or Mossknights, honestly?) I managed to get Steel Heart, Speed Completion, and Passing of the Age all in one go. feels good man

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 8, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I decided to replay this game because it's amazing (and because I haven't played it since they started adding random crap and I have no idea where to look). Does anyone have advice on performance problems? I've got a pretty solid computer (i5-8600k, GTX 1080) but I'm getting occasional hic's as I play. Basically I'll be walking along and about every fourth beat I'll get a snag and then it'll work fine. It's super annoying and affects my ability to fight. I don't remember this happening the first time I played.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No, that shouldn't be happening. Open a task manager and see if something else is eating up system resources.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For what it's worth, my specs are worse (i5-4670, GTX 760) and I don't have that problem. I haven't played on PC in a while so I loaded it up again to make sure and no, no performance issues. Something else is going on in your environment. I'm assuming you have a healthy amount of memory as well, since you used to not have this issue; I'm running 16GB and consequently haven't thought much about it since.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My Trial of the Fool build is a summoner build. Grimmchild, Weaversong, and the one that gives you 4 flying babies, plus Sprintmaster and Grubsong. The one that makes the flies explosive felt like they actually made it harder for me though so I didn't take that one along. It isn't efficient if you're a speedrunny type but I enjoy maining that build.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

guppy posted:

For what it's worth, my specs are worse (i5-4670, GTX 760) and I don't have that problem. I haven't played on PC in a while so I loaded it up again to make sure and no, no performance issues. Something else is going on in your environment. I'm assuming you have a healthy amount of memory as well, since you used to not have this issue; I'm running 16GB and consequently haven't thought much about it since.

Yeah, I've always played the game on an even worse machine (a little laptop with no dedicated video card) and it runs totally smoothly. Something else is up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks folks. I’ll try the classic reboot-and-run-with-nothing-open trick tonight . It’s confusing because I ran AC: Odyssey just before Hollow Knight with basically no performance issues, so I dunno what else would be eating resources in a way that hurts HK more than AC.

Maybe it’s the eight million chrome tabs. Probably that.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

My GF often gets hitches in games from having Chrome tabs with videos open. Even if they're not playing

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, things were super smooth a minute ago after I rebooted, so I'll just watch what I open in Chrome and hopefully that'll fix things.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Picked this up on PS4 a few days ago after seeing my brother playing the Godhome stuff, and I'm hooked. I'm legitimately considering buying a switch mainly to play this over lunchtime at work.

Spent about 2 days exploring, dying to False Knight and working my way through Greenpath... only for my brother to start a Steel Soul playthrough and overtake me in <2 hours. I Initially found the combat pretty challenging, not having a reliable dodge button was harsh at first, but you kinda get used to it after a while (although for me, dodging using jumps only clicked after I actually had the dash anyway). Pretty happy I managed to beat the Mantis Lords when I first came across them instead of turning back when advised to, though.

Only just passed the City of Tears so far, the Black Egg Temple has only just been marked on my map and I've detoured up to Crystal Peak - no idea if that's anything approaching 'the right way' but it seems pretty flexible in where it lets me go, which is great.

I've had to skip about 70% of this thread because it's all black boxes, and I can't wait to go back and read the lore stuff and/or watch better players smash the game to pieces once I'm allowing myself access to spoilers.

I do know that there's a 'bad' early ending that you can lock yourself out of though - can anyone explain in a spoiler-free way how to make sure I don't lock that out? If not, that's fair - I'll probably end up playing more than one playthrough of this anyway so I'll just do it next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
As soon as the obvious final boss battle becomes available, you should do it. That will get you the bad end, but you can then keep on playing with the same save and do whatever else you need to do to get the other endings.