Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Junkenstein posted:

The refund system is meant for things that don't work on your system, or if a game you paid full price for suddenly went on sale the next day or something. They're specifically saying it's not meant to be used to demo games.

There's an option that specifically says "It's not what I expected". If they didn't expect it, they wouldn't have that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

New Leaf posted:

So I should sit on a bunch of stuff I bought because it was cheap but I'm never going to play because it didn't strike me as entertaining once I gave it a shot? What should it be used for in your opinion?

it should be used to shame you at your lack of self control.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

What's that I hear, a strange rumbling in the distance? Oh no, it's a runaway train! The engines are on fire and it's coming to the end of the line! The Gift Train is off the rails and coming straight for you!

:gifttank: :gifttank: :gifttank: :ohdear: < You!

The only escape is to jump onboard and cling on for those last few sale hours!

And today only, those of you who makes it should be able to scramble into the driver's cabin and receive a free game!

*Game not guaranteed to be good, but it will probably be something you don't already have! Just send me a Steam msg id/Nettle_Soup

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!
I've got a few bucks left in my Steam slush fund, help me make poor financial decisions:

I'm looking at picking up one of the following:

Massive Chalice
Pros: The fight over generations bit sounds really neat.

Cons: Turn based strategy games can be really hit or miss with me.
33% discount isn't that great, and I can probably wait until next sale before playing it.
Earlier talk in the thread about it wasn't so hot.

Darkest Dungeon
Pros: Looks fun, and as someone just mentioned can be played in bite-sized chunks.
Neat artstyle, interesting playstyle.

Cons: 25% off isn't so deep that I couldn't just wait and pick it up when I actually want to sit down and play it.
Early Access is always a risk, although this game seems fairly playable as is.

Life is Strange: Episodes 2-5 (picked up Ep. 1 already during the sale)
Pros: If I play and enjoy episode 1, I'm basically going to have to have this.
Looks like a fun adventure game with a neat gimmick.

Cons: At 20% off, I'm probably better off playing Ep. 1 and seeing if it clicks with me first.

Alternatively, I could pick up any two of the following:

Dead Rising 2: off the record
Pros: Dead Rising 1 I loved, and off the record has some of the same gimmicks (i.e. snapshots)
I've heard praise for OtR being the most polished version of DR2 gameplay-wise.

Cons: I already own DR2 regular and haven't played it yet: could probably get my zombie fix from that.
Related, OtR may have more polished gameplay but the main DR2 has the actual story.

Environmental Station Alpha
Pros: Love me some metroidvania.

Cons: Already picked up a couple of solid metroidvanias and platformers this sale, including Ori and The Blind Forest and Rayman Origins.
It's not Axiom Verge, which is the one I was really eyeing (and Axiom Verge isn't on sale at all, so I'm not pressured to buy it now).

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Pros: Played and loved Isaac, probably have enough love of the game left to get some serious enjoyment out of Rebirth

Cons: Own and played Isaac. Didn't have any serious performance issues, so not sure how much new Rebirth brings to the table.

If anyone can help me decide between these choices it would be appreciated!

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Robotic Accolade posted:

Binding of Isaac Rebirth has a ton of extra content over the original Isaac, and runs beautifully. Go for that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Won't repost my haul but I did add Bunny Must Die, The Waste Land (yeah I know it sucks), and Proxy Blade Zero to my collection. The latter was 97 cents and looked like the kind of PS2 game you'd find buried under multiple copies of Madden on the shelf at Gamestop, so I had to try it.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Junkenstein posted:

They're specifically saying it's not meant to be used to demo games.

quote:

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

I assume that Valve's logic is that this will make people more willing to buy games over all because they have a safety net and that that'll balance out the drop from people who return games that aren't fun. The only thing they say you shouldn't do is use it to get free games.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Robotic Accolade posted:

Pros: Played and loved Isaac, probably have enough love of the game left to get some serious enjoyment out of Rebirth

Cons: Own and played Isaac. Didn't have any serious performance issues, so not sure how much new Rebirth brings to the table.

Rebirth is like a totally different game, it's all the improvements and extra things he couldn't cram into the original Isaac because he reached the limits of what he could do with Flash. It's well worth picking up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh boy refund derail.
Theres a difference between I researched something and it wasn't what I it was vs what it was when I played it.

Eg lego worlds. . It looks like an open world fun lego builder.

What it is: sparse landscapes with some exploration and a really difficult building system. Thats worth probably 1/2 or 1/3 to the price I paid in its current state.
If my kids didnt really like it id kick it back, as an adult its not what I expected.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
If nothing else think of Binding of Isaac Rebirth as buying not just a remake of the original game but also a built in expansion pack worth of new items and challenges. Also there's an expansion coming out for Rebirth later this year so if you think you'd still have fun playing more Isaac definitely jump on it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah Rebirth is good but as someone who played a ton of the original it's not THAT much different and is arguably uglier/worse in some ways. I really hate the big rooms.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Robotic Accolade posted:

I've got a few bucks left in my Steam slush fund, help me make poor financial decisions:

I'm looking at picking up one of the following:

Massive Chalice
Pros: The fight over generations bit sounds really neat.

Cons: Turn based strategy games can be really hit or miss with me.
33% discount isn't that great, and I can probably wait until next sale before playing it.
Earlier talk in the thread about it wasn't so hot.

Darkest Dungeon
Pros: Looks fun, and as someone just mentioned can be played in bite-sized chunks.

Cons: 25% off isn't so deep that I couldn't just wait and pick it up when I actually want to sit down and play it.

Cons: At 20% off, I'm probably better off playing Ep. 1 and seeing if it clicks with me first.

Alternatively, I could pick up any two of the following:

Dead Rising 2: off the record
Pros: Dead Rising 1 I loved, and off the record has some of the same gimmicks (i.e. snapshots)
I've heard praise for OtR being the most polished version of DR2 gameplay-wise.

Cons: I already own DR2 regular and haven't played it yet: could probably get my zombie fix from that.
Related, OtR may have more polished gameplay but the main DR2 has the actual story.

Environmental Station Alpha
Pros: Love me some metroidvania.

Cons: Already picked up a couple of solid metroidvanias and platformers this sale, including Ori and The Blind Forest and Rayman Origins.
It's not Axiom Verge, which is the one I was really eyeing (and Axiom Verge isn't on sale at all, so I'm not pressured to buy it now).

Definitely give life is strange 1 a shot. You'll probably know within the first 15 minutes whether or not it's your kind of thing, but I would've honestly bought the game at full price.

VV :)

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 22, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Robotic Accolade posted:

Life Is Strange has been the buy of the sale for me. Such an excellent game. Might not be for everybody though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Robotic Accolade posted:

You can pick up episodes 2-5 at Nuuvem for 8.79 US$

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

2 hours left until the sale ends :(.

I wonder what the weeklong deals will be.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

Probably the same three decent games and a bunch of games nobody heard of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kazil posted:

Life Is Strange has been the buy of the sale for me. Such an excellent game. Might not be for everybody though.

I agree that it's definitely not for everybody, but for me it's awesome. My only regret was that I pulled the trigger early and bought the game in the middle of Episode 3 so now I'm getting impatient waiting for the next chapter to come out. If you liked Gone Home, TWD, or are old enough to remember My So-Called Life/Twin Peaks, you will love this game.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Robotic Accolade posted:

Darkest Dungeon

I say go for it. They won't have a deeper discount yet because it seems like spitting in the face of their backers, and even at the current price it is worth it. There are a lot of interesting mechanics and the Devs are being pretty cool with updates and transparency.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to go with Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Environmental Station Alpha, with Darkest Dungeon on the top of the list to pick up next sale. It's too bad that Steam has decided to stop taking my credit card (there are still funds on it, I checked), meaning I probably just wasted everyone's time! Oh well, while there's no way this gets straightened out pre end-of-sale, I still managed to pick up a ton of great games before today. I'll just have to hold off on these last few titles.

edit: Now I'm getting "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." when I try to move from my cart to payment options. I'm guessing their payment system is getting hammered, but is anyone else having trouble?

Robotic Accolade fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 22, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is Grim Fandango Remastered worth the replay value?

I played the original 5 years ago and enjoyed the story but was frustrated with the controls/bugs/etc.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Robotic Accolade posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to go with Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Environmental Station Alpha, with Darkest Dungeon on the top of the list to pick up next sale. It's too bad that Steam has decided to stop taking my credit card (there are still funds on it, I checked), meaning I probably just wasted everyone's time! Oh well, while there's no way this gets straightened out pre end-of-sale, I still managed to pick up a ton of great games before today. I'll just have to hold off on these last few titles.

edit: Now I'm getting "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." when I try to move from my cart to payment options. I'm guessing their payment system is getting hammered, but is anyone else having trouble?

Yeah, I can't buy anything either. Thanks Gaben.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Odd, I just got Ground Zeroes, had no issues to pay for it (I did get a weird THIS GAME CANNOT BE INSTALLED message, but just clicked install again and it's downloading).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is Grim Fandango Remastered worth the replay value?

I played the original 5 years ago and enjoyed the story but was frustrated with the controls/bugs/etc.

Puzzles still mostly suck but the story owns no matter how many times you've experienced it, and the modern controls are excellent and particularly fun with an analog controller.

The graphical overhaul is pretty negligible, though.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wastelands 2 or Pillars of Eternity, please advise?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: 1 hour to go. Robeasts need slayin. No time to waste. Time for Voltron :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgsAD3D948

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Pillars of Eternity seems to be the better game.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

Waroduce posted:

I've heard a lot of shittalk about Wasteland 2 but I couldn't tell you myself about the good and bad.
That said, I can tell you that PoE is p darn exciting. I didn't play a lot of the isometric RPGs that it was inspired by (Baulder's Gate, Icewind Dale), but I've had a lot of fun with it so far, both with the story and the combat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

1 hour left. A real quick and dirty photoshop job for this occasion:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I kickstarted Wasteland 2 as soon as it was announced, and I still say Pillars of Eternity is the better game. This thread will 95% agree.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I normally don't limit myself but this time I bought 50 steambux and said that's it. To be honest, it kind of took the fun out of it, I spent most of the sale holding out and had only spent half of my wad before the last day. I mean I've bought a few stinkers in the past based on bad goondorsements but it's hard to feel too bad about spending 6 bucks on something that turned out to suck. It's fun to have a big haul and end up with some stuff that wasn't on your radar before and turned out to be rad (eg. Euro Truck, Anno, Endless Legend).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Somebody pointed out to me that I ommited the last sentence in the Blade Runner quote so here it is:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

1 hour left. A real quick and dirty photoshop job for this occasion:

Full quote from Gaberunner posted:

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... Minigames on fire from botnets and scripts. I saw half off The Long Dark and more off Shadowgate. All those... deals... will be lost in time, like tears... in... rain. Time... to buy...

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I spent too much. Bought old games for nostalgic reasons, bought new games because they seemed like something I would I have loved when younger. But I have no time, no time at all...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

New Leaf posted:

There's an option that specifically says "It's not what I expected". If they didn't expect it, they wouldn't have that option.

Buy a game once in a while and get something you didn't expect? Fine, whatever, that's a good time to take advantage of a very generous refund system. That's different from shot gunning a bunch of games impulsively and then returning the ones you regret. I'm usually 100% behind anything that makes gaming more consumer friendly since this is a terrible loving industry, but I guarantee this kind of behavior will end being seen as abuse.

In any case, sorry for the derail I guess. I'm just kind of shocked to see how common this apparently is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palpek posted:

Somebody pointed out to me that I ommited the last sentence in the Blade Runner quote so here it is:

Have a thing;

Rincewinds posted:

I spent too much. Bought old games for nostalgic reasons, bought new games because they seemed like something I would I have loved when younger. But I have no time, no time at all...

I did okay with this sale. I went into it expecting not to get anything and wound up with nine games. And down about $30-$40 :v:.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Palpek posted:

Dark Souls 2!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh God, ten minutes until I'm overwhelmed with not-buyer's remorse!!!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Huh, I did not expect Worms Armageddon to run in 1080p right out of the box. And apparently it's been patched as recently as 2013? Neat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nettle Soup posted:

What's that I hear, a strange rumbling in the distance? Oh no, it's a runaway train! The engines are on fire and it's coming to the end of the line! The Gift Train is off the rails and coming straight for you!

:gifttank: :gifttank: :gifttank: :ohdear: < You!

The only escape is to jump onboard and cling on for those last few sale hours!

And today only, those of you who makes it should be able to scramble into the driver's cabin and receive a free game!

*Game not guaranteed to be good, but it will probably be something you don't already have! Just send me a Steam msg id/Nettle_Soup
You are too nice to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I was thinking of returing Don't Starve because it clashed with my shoes but now goons are telling me that's shallow? I guess I could change shoes.

• Locked thread