Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LL101 is actually making sense for once; there is no viable leftist party in the United States and the Democratic Party is populated by conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Faustus posted:

So, do all of the red guy blue guy "comics" end with the blue guy calling, "racist!!" Seems like it.

Its the thing that conservatives always hear people tell them when they think they won the argument. In their minds, its a liberal giving up and admitting defeat.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Dr. Faustus posted:

So, do all of the red guy blue guy "comics" end with the blue guy calling, "racist!!" Seems like it.

I was thinking about this recently when an incredibly conservative guy I work with was saying some very racist things.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, American marketing culture. Probably a reference to GEICO, an insurance company which has previously used a computer-rendered Australian-accented gecko for advertisements. The idea back when people still used phone books is that you look for Geico in the phone book and make an honest mistake, accidentally harassing some poor talking gecko. I honestly can't remember when it started, I think it was TV commercials in the 1990s? It's a fine service, but they never dropped the gecko mascot.

The fact that the dead lizard in the picture is almost certainly a chameleon apparently doesn't matter - I'm sure there are simply zero dead gecko photos on the internet.

Apparently it got big in 2000, when the Screen Actors Guild went on strike and they couldn't use real people in their ads, so they used an animated character instead. Also, the original voice of the Gecko was Kelsey Grammer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Since when did James Woods turn into a far-right shithead?

Also, Fulchrum I'm so sorry that you have to do this in 2 or even 3 waves at a time now. Please pace yourself :ohdear:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, Fulchrum I'm so sorry that you have to do this in 2 or even 3 waves at a time now. Please pace yourself :ohdear:

Literally :911:. He has a huge man crush on Rudy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gradenko_2000 posted:

iirc he was one of the people who got broken by 9/11

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

No, no, no, no, see, if gay marriage is legal than they will be forced to hold gay couples at gun point to get married. Imagine this, you're out on a date with your boyfriend and all of a sudden as you leave the restaurant to go hit the club some crazy man jumps out of the shadows with a gun. Realizing that he's not close enough to utilize his Krav Maga training without endangering you (what a manly hunk) your boyfriend reaches for his wallet. But the assailant doesn't want his money, but rather he demands your boyfriend get down on one knee and propose to you. He even provides a very tasteful ring to use.

Is that really the kind of world you want to live in?

Well apparently that's the only way to get some men to commit!

Right, Craig?

E:

:psylon:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 25, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Timett posted:

I was thinking about this recently when an incredibly conservative guy I work with was saying some very racist things.

If they turn"racist" into a meaningless term that liberals use for anything then it loses its power when they get called out for legitimate racism.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
They're also likely to apply "he who smelt it dealt it" to racism.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Right, Craig?

Men, amirite? :smug:

*puts hands on hips while laugh track plays*

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

VitalSigns posted:

Right, Craig?

E:

just the restaurant, not the animal all together you loving dolt whoever created this turd

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Right, Craig?

E:

The argument makes little sense.

I have no loving choice in the matter of buying gasoline for my car in the year of our Lord 2015. I live in a fairly rural area that's limited in terms of public transportation, and I really have a decent distance to travel in terms of going to work.

Also I have no say in the matter as to whether I can buy gas from Saudi Arabia or a county like Canada. If I did? I would buy from the latter and be proud to support a great country.

Chick-Fil-A? I have OPTIONS. Plenty of them. I can not only go to a rival chicken chain like KFC, Church's, or Popeyes. But I can also go to different types of fast food places or make my own.

Also as someone who follows Christ? I hold "Christians" to a higher standard than other religions. We're supposed to be a very forgiving, loving and accepting faith. This is not to say that I don't think what people in the middle east are doing is very much...wrong, but at the same time that's something people of the muslim faith need to worry about.

This whole argument is dumb. I'm also getting really sick and tired of the right claiming "dibs" on Christianity, then promptly making us out to be atheists because we don't share in their stupid racist, misogynist, and homophobic views. That's for the lack of a better word? Crap.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fulchrum posted:

Because the Republicans never do anything pandering. WHAT tax cuts?
It's funny because that article started with something true and that is a serious issue, and I thought it was going to go into a thing about how divorce ruins families and we must strengthen marriage, but then nope, veers straight into insanity.

quote:

Man look at all these idiots who don't want free hot dogs.

Also this analogy only works if you assume that the stand in the middle is taking money from the customers in the other paying lines somehow. It's one of those things that only work if you already accept right-wing talking points before you read it, like I know it's implied that Dems are stealing from productive people and giving to the lazy moochers, but this image makes absolutely no attempt to show that in any way.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also this analogy only works if you assume that the stand in the middle is taking money from the customers in the other paying lines somehow.

Counterpoint:

A person getting something for free ruins their ability to enjoy the things that they've paid for.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Counterpoint:

A person getting something for free ruins their ability to enjoy the things that they've paid for.

Children doing children things that children have been doing for centuries because they don't have incomes: thieving jerk-wads

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

Children doing children things that children have been doing for centuries because they don't have incomes: thieving jerk-wads

Children don't pay taxes :argh:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Fulchrum posted:

loving black Presidents, how do they work?

So they're admitting he was a great senator?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

VitalSigns posted:

Right, Craig?

E:

We don't have Chick-Fil-A here but I have not driven a car in 14 years for this exact reason.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

IslamoNazi posted:

We don't have Chick-Fil-A here but I have not driven a car in 14 years for this exact reason.

You're not driving a car and using gasoline? Why do you hate America???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

loving black Presidents, how do they work?
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says Congress seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vetos and budget showdowns.

Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great President Obama is delivering State of the Union tonight. Go and see him. That should inspire you." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Obama.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

IslamoNazi posted:

I bet your power grid uses oil, some of which had to have come from the Saudis.

Checkmate liberal, now you have to admit you hate gays too and also drive to Chick-Fil-A rolling coal all the way,

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
List of fungible commodities:
Oil
Soybeans
Sugar#11
Chicken Sandwiches

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

This whole argument is dumb. I'm also getting really sick and tired of the right claiming "dibs" on Christianity, then promptly making us out to be atheists because we don't share in their stupid racist, misogynist, and homophobic views. That's for the lack of a better word? Crap.

I would also posit that one can still eat at Chic-fil-a with total disregard to the owners' political leanings, since they have no bearing whatsoever on the singular transaction of a few dollars for a fast food sandwich. I just need something to eat on the road, I'm not making a goddamn statement with my quick calorie intake.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 25, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

quote:

So.... why don't Republicans do the same thing if it works? Are they loving incompetent? Let's not pretend they're too principled or noble, this isn't preschool, if they thought that was what it took to win elections they'd loving offer free monster trucks. Or free guns. In fact I'm amazed that there hasn't been a serious push to provide free vouchers for handguns or rifles by a Republican, that poo poo would get some coverage...

...I'll be right back, I need to get into the Ohio Straw Poll.

Jokes on you lady, we get more gasoline from Canada than we get from Saudi Arabia and Canada has nationwide gay marriage. :colbert:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 25, 2015

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Our oil is just several times magnitude more destructive to the environment and we poison our first nations people with its byproducts. I imagine they welcome this. *sigh*

flu-like symptoms
Jul 27, 2006
shiny

Why would they use a picture of someone making the Delores Umbridge crazy face to represent themselves?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

flu-like symptoms posted:

Why would they use a picture of someone making the Delores Umbridge crazy face to represent themselves?

I imagine its their, "we are mocking you while delivering a masterstroke of logic," face. Or at least the one they think they would make.

That is actually common for a lot of raging assholes when they think they have the upper hand in an argument.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

It looks like the face from that Willy Wonka meme, so I assume it serves the same purpose of condescending smuggery.

flu-like symptoms
Jul 27, 2006
shiny

Dameius posted:

I imagine its their, "we are mocking you while delivering a masterstroke of logic," face. Or at least the one they think they would make.

That is actually common for a lot of raging assholes when they think they have the upper hand in an argument.

I sometimes think some of these people don't care about solving problems and making America strong or any of the other stuff they claim to be about and all this poo poo they do is more about the prurient/visceral joys of poking someone they don't like in the eye with a sharp stick.. Like they get a buzz off of being a shithead to people and the actual ideology is just a rationalization.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I sometimes think some of these people don't care about solving problems and making America strong or any of the other stuff they claim to be about and all this poo poo they do is more about the prurient/visceral joys of poking someone they don't like in the eye with a sharp stick.. Like they get a buzz off of being a shithead to people and the actual ideology is just a rationalization.

For some people politics is simply a team sport like football. It's not about what the politicians actually do for them for the most part, it's about their team winning and the other team losing, even if that means wrecking objectively good things. It's like this but in real-life.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lemma posted:

I just need something to eat on the road, I'm not making a goddamn statement with my quick calorie intake.

The company, however, is.

Also, I have never seen a Chik-fil-a anywhere remote enough to not have other options. So basically you are, too.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lemma posted:

I would also posit that one can still eat at Chic-fil-a with total disregard to the owners' political leanings, since they have no bearing whatsoever on the singular transaction of a few dollars for a fast food sandwich. I just need something to eat on the road, I'm not making a goddamn statement with my quick calorie intake.
Suppose that you knew that a small amount of their profits go towards an anti-Semitic organization, or a white supremacist organization, or something equally odious. Would you shop there, knowing that money would go to some cause you find odious? It's not about what statement you're making, but about what they're doing with their money. If you disagree with them, and where they send their money, even if it's just a tiny bit, you're still complicit it. For instance, imagine you're a WWII bomber pilot on his way to Dresden (which was probably unnecessarily devastating and accomplished no real military goals). Your little bombs won't do much, except as part of the whole conflagration. Without the rest of the bombs, Dresden won't burn, and without your bombs, Dresden will still burn. Yet you're still complicit in wrongdoing, since you did contribute to it.

It's not a great analogy, but it shows that you can still be complicit in wrongdoing even if your actions aren't really a huge contributor to wrongdoing.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

The company, however, is.

Also, I have never seen a Chik-fil-a anywhere remote enough to not have other options. So basically you are, too.

I'd like to eat at White Castle but then I'm a racist, and I'd like to eat at Five Guys but then I'm a sexist. I could go to Arby's, but... it's Arby's. :saddowns:

On a related note, I actually don't order Papa John's because of their CEO being a terrible person who whines about paying higher wages while living on an absurd amount of wealth. Is it really that hard to just shut up and enjoy making ridiculous amounts of money without belittling the poor or gay people or immigrants? gently caress sakes.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 25, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lemma posted:

Unless it is literally the only restaurant around, this just seems like a lame justification.

If you don't care you don't care, but don't try and absolve yourself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mo_Steel posted:

On a related note, I actually don't order Papa John's because of their CEO being a terrible person who whines about paying higher wages while living on an absurd amount of wealth. Is it really that hard to just shut up and enjoy making ridiculous amounts of money without belittling the poor or gay people or immigrants? gently caress sakes.

I ordered for them one semester of college when I found out that due to the CEO's obsession with football you can get half priced orders from the website almost every week in the fall. Buy a bunch of half-off pizza, give a massive tip to the driver (as a former pizza driver myself I like to tip very heavily), repeat until I got a free pizza. Hate myself every time but it was cheap and I couldn't get out of the house at the time due to pulverizing my ankle.

That ended the moment I could walk again and found a local pizza shop I liked, and I never looked back. Papa John's was the only delivery pizza I liked and I absolutely despise the company and CEO. "What, pay about twenty cents per delivery to gently caress your drivers? What do you think I am, made of money?" *Raises the price of delivery by the insurance cost anyways, cuts hours, pockets it all, drives around his massive estate and golf course in a golfcart made out of gold*

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mo_Steel posted:

I'd like to eat at White Castle but then I'm a racist, and I'd like to eat at Five Guys but then I'm a sexist.

Uh, is this a reference to their names, or is there actually something you want to share about them?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Real talk, that's a joke, but if it wasn't Five Guys is the only place that would make me consider eating there in spite of lovely politics.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Real talk, that's a joke, but if it wasn't Five Guys is the only place that would make me consider eating there in spite of lovely politics.

Clearly you have never ate at in-n-out :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I would have sincerely not given a poo poo about Chick-Fil-A either way.

I mean for a few months I'd have not eaten there to prove a point, but eventually I'd have wound up there again wanting to eat their food.

The tipping point came when Mike Huckabee was whining about it. His argument against it would have been sincere and had a point had he simply said something like this:

"You know what? Screw this country being this divided on stuff like this. Find a Christian Business to support, and find a pro-LGBT Business to support. Let's show how pointless boycotts are for BOTH sides"

Nope. It was used as a rallying point for the worst people this country possibly had to offer. . Him pouting about people boycotting a restaurant chain is idiotic. People have the right to boycott either way, that's the loving point of Capitalism and living in Democracy.