Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Sounds very much like The Mighty Or-Bots.

ee: This show was my jam when I was 6, but goddamn it has not stood the test of time.

This is definitely it and ditto. Looks a lot better than I expected tbh - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

jackpot posted:

is this as easy as opening the photos in photoshop and going Image > Mode > CMYK Color?

Fishmech and Spog already answered, but just gonna chime in that they're right. It's as simple as that, and pretty much idiot-proof. I had to change RGB photos into CMYK for a newspaper and 99% of the time there were absolutely no problems with just doing Image > Mode > CMYK. There are very few situations where something goes wrong, and it's immediately obvious when it does, so just convert and glance over it and you'll probably be fine.

I would recommend, though, that if you do take Spog's advice and just let the printing company handle it, make sure you tell them you're sending the photos over in RGB format. They should know to check, but "should" is a funny little word and it's a funny little world where accidents happen. An ounce of preparation saves a pound of cure.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Memento posted:

I have a text file with a list of books in it. There's about 7,500 books in total. The books are listed as

Title - Author's first name, Author's last name

and are alphabetical on the author's first name.

How do I sort them by author's last name? I thought about opening it as a space-delimited csv in Excel but the different numbers of words in each title make it a formatting nightmare. Is there an easy way to do it? I have access to Excel, Access and MS SQL Server 2008.

Copy and paste the data into excel. It will all be in one column.

Under the Data header, use the "Text to Columns" tool. Choose "Delimited". Then delimit by both commas and dashes.

You now have 3 columns and can sort by last name.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grundulum posted:

This may not be the most direct way to do it, but if your example is how all the entries are formatted then it should work using Excel.

(1) Open as custom-delimited CSV and use "-" as the delimiter. Switch the order of the two columns (so name before title) and then save as a second, comma-delimited, CSV file.
(2) Open the second CSV file as comma-delimited, and the Author's last name should be the word/words in the second column.

This one worked in the end, kind of. The formatting of the original text file was pretty janky, in that sometimes there were different types of dashes between titles and authors, and then authors with hyphenated names would get an extra column, and then books with hyphens in their titles would get extra columns. It's like 10% of the lines, so manually fixing ~750 lines. Not too bad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I probably would have installed cygwin and busted out some sed/cut/tr/perl nonsense to sort that file, but I'm a hopeless nerd :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

I probably would have installed cygwin and busted out some sed/cut/tr/perl nonsense to sort that file, but I'm a hopeless nerd :shrug:

I too am a hopeless nerd. I'll look these up tonight and see if I can't learn something new, thanks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I was going to write a python script, but the excel solution was very simple and good so i left it alone.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I think about it sort on its own can probably do it since you can specify a delimiter, but if any of your titles have commas in them already then it gets more complicated and it's too late for me to suss that poo poo out :v:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Memento posted:

This one worked in the end, kind of. The formatting of the original text file was pretty janky, in that sometimes there were different types of dashes between titles and authors, and then authors with hyphenated names would get an extra column, and then books with hyphens in their titles would get extra columns. It's like 10% of the lines, so manually fixing ~750 lines. Not too bad.

Goddamn hippies. :argh:

Glad it mostly worked for you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the end goal for ebay/amazon sellers asking absurd prices for "collectable" things? Especially with games and toys there seems to always be people asking 10x times the going rate. Are they fishing for whales that aren't paying attention or trying to artificially drive the price up or what? it doesn't make any sense and these sellers seem to exist for just about any nerdy item that is out of production.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

What is the end goal for ebay/amazon sellers asking absurd prices for "collectable" things? Especially with games and toys there seems to always be people asking 10x times the going rate. Are they fishing for whales that aren't paying attention or trying to artificially drive the price up or what? it doesn't make any sense and these sellers seem to exist for just about any nerdy item that is out of production.

Someone explained it earlier in this thread for Amazon at least. Amazon has a system where if you put an item in your cart but then it sells, it will automatically insert the same item at the next highest price. Those people are hoping that someone will save their cart with a normal-price item in it and will come back to it later but won't notice that their high-price item has been substituted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm looking at purchasing new sheets. I know too low thread count can be bad, but I also heard too high thread count can lead to less durable sheets, is this true?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I'm looking at purchasing new sheets. I know too low thread count can be bad, but I also heard too high thread count can lead to less durable sheets, is this true?

Just buy the Amazon basics, they're like 20 bucks and the most comfortable sheets I've ever purchased for myself.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

computer parts posted:

Thread count is a worthless metric. It's like megapixels on a camera.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Organza Quiz posted:

Someone explained it earlier in this thread for Amazon at least. Amazon has a system where if you put an item in your cart but then it sells, it will automatically insert the same item at the next highest price. Those people are hoping that someone will save their cart with a normal-price item in it and will come back to it later but won't notice that their high-price item has been substituted.

Some people are also just putting up listing to show off something they have. You can list a lot of things for free on eBay and Amazon, so it's not like it costs them anything.

Listings like this are totally brag-listings:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Thread count is a worthless metric. It's like megapixels on a camera.

So not worthless at all.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you have no way to put a price on what you are selling you just ask for something ridiculous and let people make offers

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
TFR speculates that there are some guys who are under pressure by their wives to sell some of their gun collection, so they put them up for sale at 2x the market price so they can say 'see honey, I tried to sell them but noone is buying them, so I had better keep them. Maybe we can get your new kitchen next year'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In a similar vein, how the gently caress is crash bandicoot for the PSX worth forty bucks now :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Slavvy posted:

In a similar vein, how the gently caress is crash bandicoot for the PSX worth forty bucks now :(

It's a big name title and it's one of the ones that got re-released with the ugly green stripe, so the original version is worth a decent amount. You can totally still get just the disc for like $10 if you really want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

fishmech posted:

So not worthless at all.

Sure, get a 16 megapixel $59 camera and show me how great all those pixels look.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sure, get a 16 megapixel $59 camera and show me how great all those pixels look.

This is like saying the displacement of a car's engine isn't useful because some high displacement engines are old and not powerful. The amount of megapixels on a sensor is one factor of many involved, so if your lens sucks etc it won't be as useful, but it doesn't make it useless.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The proper analogy is "it's like CPU megahertz", where a high number is pretty meaningless without the rest of the things that go with it (cache, etc).

Really high thread count sheets can mean the individual threads are tiny and they get pilled easily. Get the Amazon ones mentioned up the thread, they're better than most expensive sheets and even if they wear a little quicker they're about a quarter the price.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you have no way to put a price on what you are selling you just ask for something ridiculous and let people make offers

Yeah except the stuff I'm talking about is, say there is a game thats worth a few bucks. For example I was checking to see if my Demon's Souls collectors edition was worth anything and it usually goes for around 70-100 dollars. there are dozens of people selling it for those prices at any given time. That doesn't stop a chunk of people from trying to get like $800 for it. Basically anytime I look something up like that, there are a few people shooting for the moon on the price.

The Amazon theory is interesting, but wouldn't people just ask for a refund once they realize they've been duped?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where I can find a pair of Lennon-style eyeglass frames that can be done as prescription sunglasses?

Moreover, I never seem to find super mirrored prescription sunglasses - is that a thing that can even be done? I'm looking for one-way glass mirroring, as much as I can get.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but I have a hell of a time keeping track of what's going on in Gunnerkrigg Court. I perused the wikia page this morning, but it's at least a full chapter behind and it doesn't seem like it would help in the middle of a current chapter anyway. Is there another resource for helping me remember or understand what's going on?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah except the stuff I'm talking about is, say there is a game thats worth a few bucks. For example I was checking to see if my Demon's Souls collectors edition was worth anything and it usually goes for around 70-100 dollars. there are dozens of people selling it for those prices at any given time. That doesn't stop a chunk of people from trying to get like $800 for it. Basically anytime I look something up like that, there are a few people shooting for the moon on the price.

The Amazon theory is interesting, but wouldn't people just ask for a refund once they realize they've been duped?

Why would they be duped?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you read the post responding to my last post?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
"Duped" being "doesn't look at the big notification about price changes in their cart or check the price of their order on the two confirmation screens"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Did you read the post responding to my last post?

Yeah. There's list of sellers on Amazon that are all offering products. They have different prices, Amazon will usually present the lowest price, but if that item sells then they move to the next lowest price. They didn't dupe you and swap out your cheaper option for a higher item for no reason. Amazon also puts a nice big banner on the cart page that says the price has changed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure why you are so intent on arguing a throwaway comment I made, but surely it's safe to assume someone asking 10 times the value of something in the hopes that the price changes in an Amazon cart is not exactly the gold standard for good business?

My initial point was that it doesn't seem like it would work anyways, so I don't know why we are arguing semantics.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I can't attest to the accuracy of the answer but I recall reading somewhere that some Amazon sellers use pricing utilities that will search out comparable/identical items and list them automatically bases on the seller's preferences. If a seller sets the program to list something at the highest price +$3, then two sellers doing the same thing could lead to a feedback loop where you get the kind of ridiculous price inflation you sometimes see in the Market.

It seemed to make sense to me at the time, but like I said I don't really know anything about the Amazon Marketplace system so take it with a grain of salt.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have three boxes with SSH servers running on my home network, call them server1, server2 and server3. On my router configuration page I gave it the domain name "local", so while on my local network I can reach them via server1.local, server2.local and server3.local.

How do I expand that to access to those boxes from outside the network? Say I have domain name home.ciaphas.org pointed at my router's IP address (for argument's sake let's pretend the IP is static). What would I need to do or set up so that I can reach those servers via server1.home.ciaphas.org etc.? Is that even possible, or do I have to do port redirects on the router instead (e.g. home.ciaphas.org:321 goes to server1:22 (ssh), home.ciaphas.org:322 goes to server2:22, etc)?

(e: maybe this one doesn't quite qualify as small anymore :v:)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not sure why you are so intent on arguing a throwaway comment I made, but surely it's safe to assume someone asking 10 times the value of something in the hopes that the price changes in an Amazon cart is not exactly the gold standard for good business?

My initial point was that it doesn't seem like it would work anyways, so I don't know why we are arguing semantics.

It doesn't really need to work often at all. Most of the stuff the particular seller has is going to be at normal prices, and selling pretty steadily. Often the items that get the unduly high prices don't sell often anyway, so it's a valid business strategy to assume that only someone who really really wants whatever the thing is is going to be looking, and you might be able to get them to accept the high price.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that's kind of similar to what I was guessing. Just list something for a long time at a crazy price in the hopes that all other offers dry up and someone who really wants it is stuck taking it down the road.

I think the eBay thing might be in part people just being misguided. Like a snowball effect of people Listing things for way more than they are worth.

Just guesses though. I can't think of any great logical explanation.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone recommend a reliable, high speed VPN service? My only goal is to be able to protect my traffic when I'm on a public network and tunneling into my home connection isn't fast enough. Happy to pay for it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ciaphas posted:

I have three boxes with SSH servers running on my home network, call them server1, server2 and server3. On my router configuration page I gave it the domain name "local", so while on my local network I can reach them via server1.local, server2.local and server3.local.

How do I expand that to access to those boxes from outside the network? Say I have domain name home.ciaphas.org pointed at my router's IP address (for argument's sake let's pretend the IP is static). What would I need to do or set up so that I can reach those servers via server1.home.ciaphas.org etc.? Is that even possible, or do I have to do port redirects on the router instead (e.g. home.ciaphas.org:321 goes to server1:22 (ssh), home.ciaphas.org:322 goes to server2:22, etc)?

(e: maybe this one doesn't quite qualify as small anymore :v:)

On your router port forward SSH to whatever the internal IP of one of the servers. Then that will become your jump box. From the jump box you can access the other two servers through their internal IPs as well.

Exposing SSH on the internet is kind of dangerous though and I recommend you expose something like 2222 external and map that to 22 internal. Also consider setting up fail2ban and SSH keys.

Network wise you want to map 1.1.1.1:2222 -> 192.168.1.10:22.

You could do something like 1.1.1.1.:3222 -> 192.168.1.11:22 but just do the one and use it as a jumpbox.

Another good idea might be to set up an internal VPN service like strongswan so then when you're outside of your home if you want to access resources within your home network you VPN in and never need to worry about exposing SSH to the internet.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 15, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks. I was mostly thinking of the naming side of things, though, e.g. whether I could set things up to say "ssh server1.home.ciaphas.org" instead of "ssh home.ciaphas.org:2222" for server one, so i could just remember names instead of port numbers. Though just having to remember one, then SSHing to the others through that one, makes just as much sense, so at least I'd only have to remember one port number. (And good point on the security/port exposure front.)

I'm getting the impression that that's not actually possible, though. I had a vague idea that my router could act as a DNS server to the outside world, but I guess my networking knowledge is even less good than I'd thought!

(edit) Also thanks for the VPN suggestion, I'll look into that too. Even less familiar with VPNs than I am with network stuff in general, though.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 15, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Referring differently named records to different ports is generally done through SRV records but requires application level support.

I've never used this but someone has put together a little bash script that might do what you want. Much easier to do my recommendations from the other post though.

https://gist.github.com/taylor/1372925

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Methanar posted:

Referring differently named records to different ports is generally done through SRV records but requires application level support.

I've never used this but someone has put together a little bash script that might do what you want. Much easier to do my recommendations from the other post though.

https://gist.github.com/taylor/1372925

Thanks, I'll look that over too. None of this is important, it's all squarely in loving around territory, so for the sake of getting going I'll just use your other recommendations :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I need an adapter that I can use to plug in an ethernet cord, then plug in the adapter to a DSL wall socket. However, I can't find anything by googling. Is there really no such thing as a DSL-ethernet converter that isn't just a router?

edit: To clarify, I need an adapter that is male DSL to female ethernet.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2016