Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

rt4 posted:

Cruises are like traveling abroad for people who are scared of foreigners, I think?

Also to be able to go to different places without having to pack and unpack at multiple hotels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Plus you can probably go near countries that Americans are banned from. Which is like what, 30 different ones?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Love to spend 3 hours in a commercial port snd then go home and tell people Ive been everywhere

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Cruises are a way to go to a resort with amenities but also be 100% off the grid so you can't be asked to work. That's it, that's the primary appeal, it's a vacation from any and all responsibility where working is as difficult as possible.

I used to work IT for a university and it was the go-to vacation because our boss couldn't stop himself from calling people every single day of their vacation. It's a byproduct of living in hellworld where that's even legal.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I work for someone who fuckin loves cruises, and at every port of call he disembarks and spends the day drinking with the expats at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Whatever that says.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Plastik posted:

I used to work IT for a university and it was the go-to vacation because our boss couldn't stop himself from calling people every single day of their vacation. It's a byproduct of living in hellworld where that's even legal.

How about not answering the phone?
Seems cheaper.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

explosivo posted:

I work with a guy whose family went on cruises all of the time throughout his childhood and continuing up to last year, from the sound of it those people who are die hard about cruises give no shits and will jump at the opportunity to do it again. It's insane.

I've been watching dozens of hours of cruise vlogs on youtube since the shutdown. Non-ironically looking forward to getting the shot ASAP when its out and getting on a cruise.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

coronavirus posted:

I've been watching dozens of hours of cruise vlogs on youtube since the shutdown. Non-ironically looking forward to getting the shot ASAP when its out and getting on a cruise.

Lmaooooo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1322327428400820231

We're gonna hit 100k pretty soon

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Worldometer has it at 99.4K at this moment...

EDIT: Nebraska hasn't reported yet, and they had 1500 cases yesterday

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Grayson. Your husband is rounding the corner. There's nothing we could do."

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1322336255619878912
Don't know who the twitter person is but their screenshot is okay

In case it embeds poorly

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
We're going for the spike (again).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wisconsin has a fraction of the population of IL, TX, and FL.

On Wisconsin, ON WISCONSIN PLUNGE RIGHT THROUGH THAT (covid) LINE!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Multiple mayors in the worst hit areas of Illinois are telling our governor to pound sand and that they won't enforce indoor dining or bar restrictions, plus about 24 businesses in the chicagoland suburbs are suing the governor over restrictions. Great!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Multiple mayors in the worst hit areas of Illinois are telling our governor to pound sand and that they won't enforce indoor dining or bar restrictions, plus about 24 businesses in the chicagoland suburbs are suing the governor over restrictions. Great!

As someone who grew up in Southern Illinois, this is completely unsurprising. Like I love the area I lived in, but it is redneck as gently caress.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Everywhere outside Chicago and with less than 100k people is redneck as gently caress. Champaign is basically the Illinois take on Lubbock, Tx.

Grew up between Kankakee and Champaign. Both are garbage cities.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So my uncle tested positive today and is asymptomatic.

My very elderly grandmother who lives with him is now feeling ill. She has heart failure and diabetes.

This is probably going to be a rough November.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
My friend is a teacher and she also happens to teach my cousins who are in middle school. My cousins live with my grandparents. Said teacher-friend is going to a Halloween party. I sure hope she doesn't catch it from the party, give it to my cousins at school, and then kill my grandparents. I wish there was something I could do to stop her. I tried to scare her by telling her that I personally know FOUR people who lost someone to covid so far. Didn't work.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My friend is a teacher and she also happens to teach my cousins who are in middle school. My cousins live with my grandparents. Said teacher-friend is going to a Halloween party. I sure hope she doesn't catch it from the party, give it to my cousins at school, and then kill my grandparents. I wish there was something I could do to stop her. I tried to scare her by telling her that I personally know FOUR people who lost someone to covid so far. Didn't work.

Your friend is a selfish and bad person and you should tell everyone you know about her stupid party, including your grandparents

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SD had 1560 new cases today which doesn't sound crazy compared to some of the numbers higher up the page, but the real kicker is that happened with a bit over 3200 tests performed. 49% positive rate for the day!

49!!!!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Despair posted:

SD had 1560 new cases today which doesn't sound crazy compared to some of the numbers higher up the page, but the real kicker is that happened with a bit over 3200 tests performed. 49% positive rate for the day!

49!!!!
Holy motherfuck.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

John_A_Tallon posted:

Your friend is a selfish and bad person and you should tell everyone you know about her stupid party, including your grandparents

I considered whether it would be crazy to call the school and tell them one of their teachers is going to parties, baby showers, and weddings. I know they wouldn't fire her for it (which I wouldn't want), but maybe they'd talk to her about it. In any other circumstance, I'd be crossing a pretty big line but she's crossing the line by endangering tons of people.

Edit: She's liberal, by the way. Voted for Bernie and dunks on conservatives on the reg. It makes no sense.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 31, 2020

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I considered whether it would be crazy to call the school and tell them one of their teachers is going to parties, baby showers, and weddings. I know they wouldn't fire her for it (which I wouldn't want), but maybe they'd talk to her about it. In any other circumstance, I'd be crossing a pretty big line but she's crossing the line by endangering tons of people.

This pandemic requires people to modify their behavior. It is unfortunate but previously trivial decisions now carry life and death consequences and have to be treated with gravity they otherwise would not deserve. People who decide to take risks with other people's health must be stopped, because the consequences are dire.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Edit: She's liberal, by the way. Voted for Bernie and dunks on conservatives on the reg. It makes no sense.
a lot of american lefties are morally lucky, i.e. they ended up cheering for the correct team by pure accident

and thus their convictions stem from nothing but team spirit and they're just as likely to do murderous poo poo as any other average person

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pairs well with this tweet today

https://mobile.twitter.com/tyrabanks/status/1322222219238559745

I want off this planet

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Already have.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/...356429433540614

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

coronavirus posted:

What is so appealing about it to you? Why not buy a backpack so you are more mobile and then travel but sleep in proper hotel rooms?

It would be less expensive for sure and you could see places on your own schedulea nd get to eat more of the global goods instead for cruise buffets and dinners. I have done this in Taiwan and in Japan for example and it's the best way of traveling to me. If you do it in Southeast Asia you could take several flights to different countries as well.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

What is so appealing about it to you?

Coronavirus gimmick

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Had to take the bus yesterday for the first time since COVID started and holy gently caress. The bus was packed, one other passenger was wearing a mask and people weren't even trying to keep their distance.

It's probably fine since there's relatively few cases in my city, but jesus loving christ that was pure anxiety. If I could do it again I'd rather walk the 10km home.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here in Melbourne Australia we still have some mild restrictions, one of which is that people can't go door to door so trick or treating is banned this year. Most families are just having a Halloween party at home with their kids but I just saw a post on Facebook where one family decided to go reverse trick or treating and is wandering around their neighbourhood looking for kids they can give candy to.

NO, YOU IDIOTS. THAT'S JUST AS BAD. AAARGH

Also the global daily count topped +500k for the first time ever just three days ago with +508,345, then two days ago it was +548,856 and yesterday it was +573,616. It doesn't show any signs of slowing down yet so it'll probably break +600k soon

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Plastik posted:

Cruises are a way to go to a resort with amenities but also be 100% off the grid so you can't be asked to work. That's it, that's the primary appeal, it's a vacation from any and all responsibility where working is as difficult as possible.

Why not just do something else and tell your boss that you're on a cruise

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
brb hiring private investigator to make sure my employees are actually in the ocean on their "vacation" and not just lounging around their homes

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

here's an article that nicely demos different infection scenarios

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here are some comments on that article by one of the authors cited.

https://twitter.com/jljcolorado/status/1321955159056941056

The short version is that the scenario assumes a superspreader.

The number of infected wouldn’t be as dire in most cases, but then again, in most cases, no one in the room has the coronavirus to begin with.

It’s not the best‐case scenarios we need to act against.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Does anybody have the knowledge of how to refute the “iT’s bEcAuSe oF mOrE TeStInG” argument? Like, I know it’s bullshit myself but don’t know how to explain why.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Does anybody have the knowledge of how to refute the “iT’s bEcAuSe oF mOrE TeStInG” argument? Like, I know it’s bullshit myself but don’t know how to explain why.

Positivity rates

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

due to the stealth spread activity of the virus:

if positivity rate is at 1% then your testing is sufficient and the results pretty accurate

if the positivity rate is above 1% then your testing is too little and there are hidden cases

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just because you don’t look at something doesn’t mean it’s not there. This is basic object permanence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is testing even going up?