Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Or you can just get the secret phrase from Mama Murphy to resolve it peacefully without a speech check.

In my case I couldn't do that, as I'd used a speech check to convince her to give up drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Veeta posted:

In my case I couldn't do that, as I'd used a speech check to convince her to give up drugs.

You get xp to give her drugs. Why would you make her quit?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zephyrine posted:

You get xp to give her drugs. Why would you make her quit?

For those not roleplaying as sociopaths, this might make sense, if you're asking.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You also get visions and stuff from giving her drugs don't you? Seems like getting her to quit is nothing but downside.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

You also get visions and stuff from giving her drugs don't you? Seems like getting her to quit is nothing but downside.

It replaces a bunch of dumb lines with only 1, making it easier to tune out

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Ever since thinking about speech and survival I have a strange compulsion to restart my survival game. I've gotten my rear end kicked up to Diamond city pretty much. I think the quests I've done so far are get Preston, clear the Corvega plant, and clear Arcjet with Danse. Theres a speech check to milk Danse for some caps which I failed but don't care about. I saved the lovely denizens of the Drumlin diner from one another thanks to the nearby cot and alcohol. I need to ensure there's a place to save near the meaningful, non-caps speech checks. Sadly, there is not a list of all Speech checks available as far as I can tell. I don't think I've botched any. Goddamn OCD.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

2house2fly posted:

Giving her drugs is also the best way to get rid of her, so I'm not really sure why anybody would ever get her to quit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mystic pimp posted:

Giving her drugs is also the best way to get rid of her, so I'm not really sure why anybody would ever get her to quit.

Because then you get her chair and can force her to sit on a huge wooden tower and be Drug Queen of Sanctuary.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Murphy never gets her chair if you never give her drugs even once.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I would've been much happier with Mama Murphey:Warhammer Edition

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

The Sean posted:

For those not roleplaying as sociopaths, this might make sense, if you're asking.

Yeah, this was it for me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to play a mean character. Even though I know that "sarcastic but helpful douchebag" isn't evil, it's just dickish and ultimately unsatisfying.

Gimme some of that Planescape Torment evil. Let me destroy people psychologically.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Sean posted:

Screw that. Mama Murphy is an annoying old junkie. Jun Long is a pathetic whiner, and his wife is a complaining bitch. If I could get all three of them killed by giving them drugs, I would do it every playthrough, but sadly, it only works on Mama Murphy.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If you already have the existing Protectron modules from a robot that you didn't use the initial Protectron pieces on, do you have to pay the base cost still when creating a new robot?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

Screw that. Mama Murphy is an annoying old junkie. Jun Long is a pathetic whiner, and his wife is a complaining bitch. If I could get all three of them killed by giving them drugs, I would do it every playthrough, but sadly, it only works on Mama Murphy.

Those two are married? I had no idea. I'm not exactly feeling the chemistry.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My favourite thing about Bethesda games is never knowing when things are supposed to be ironic or not. Like surely they knew most players would be annoyed about a bunch of NPCs moving into Sanctuary without asking right? Or did they assume people would welcome a bunch of randos taking over your home 30 mins into the game? Marcy Long is obviously supposed to be annoying but did they actually expect people to like Mama Murphy? I've playing Far Harbor and almost every time I can't tell if an NPC is supposed to be crazy or just has bad writing/voice acting.

Also obviously there is the Kid in a Fridge quest which seems like it should be a wacky joke quest but its played completely straight so maybe it isn't?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zephyrine posted:

Those two are married? I had no idea. I'm not exactly feeling the chemistry.

Their kid died.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Their kid died.

I knew his kid died, I just thought she was loving annoying.

Especially when she walks up to me when I'm crafting and tells me "Don't talk to me!"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deki posted:

I knew his kid died, I just thought she was loving annoying.

Especially when she walks up to me when I'm crafting and tells me "Don't talk to me!"

Yeah, I wish that would stop or give us a quest to help them give closure through shared experience. You know, character development.
Hell, he even has a heartbreaking incidental with Mama where he tries to ask her to use the vision to talk to his dead son.
She has to let him down softly and he goes, "Yeah... I know it doesn't work that way :smith:"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Just found out that, if you give Mama Murphy chems while hunting the Courser, her vision will give you its deactivation code and you can totally use it to avoid a fight. That's kind of cool, honestly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even in the museum all he's capable of doing is rocking back and forth saying "I promised him it'd be ok"

Problem with static worlds, he never moves past grief, she never moves past anger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Covok posted:

Just found out that, if you give Mama Murphy chems while hunting the Courser, her vision will give you its deactivation code and you can totally use it to avoid a fight. That's kind of cool, honestly.

Too bad it probably doesn't change the institute/acadia dialogue in Far Harbor. When you ask them if they've ever lost a courser, they say "other than the one you destroyed?"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Azhais posted:

Even in the museum all he's capable of doing is rocking back and forth saying "I promised him it'd be ok"

Problem with static worlds, he never moves past grief, she never moves past anger.

they moved past it in my game

moved right past it and into a shallow grave

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Question: I finished the quest where I go on patrol with a Brotherhood paladin after meeting up with a scout party in the north-west; I think they were fighting ferals when I found them. After the mission I got a named laser gun and an offer to join the Brotherhood. I accepted the offer and got a quest to go back to the paladin for more orders or something. I don't think I've locked myself into anything yet, but if I pursue this questline will I lock myself out of other factions I'm not even aware of yet (I've got like 20+ hours in the game and just got to Diamond City)?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zachack posted:

Question: I finished the quest where I go on patrol with a Brotherhood paladin after meeting up with a scout party in the north-west; I think they were fighting ferals when I found them. After the mission I got a named laser gun and an offer to join the Brotherhood. I accepted the offer and got a quest to go back to the paladin for more orders or something. I don't think I've locked myself into anything yet, but if I pursue this questline will I lock myself out of other factions I'm not even aware of yet (I've got like 20+ hours in the game and just got to Diamond City)?

No, you can join everyone. It's pretty obvious when you reach the point of no return.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I wish I could build my own Liberty Prime with the Robot Workbench, if I can have Deathclaws guarding my base why can't I have a 50 foot laser firing death machine doing the same? :colbert:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Judge Tesla posted:

I wish I could build my own Liberty Prime with the Robot Workbench, if I can have Deathclaws guarding my base why can't I have a 50 foot laser firing death machine doing the same? :colbert:

Nah, just install a Liberty Prime combat package into Buddy so he goes berserk and starts firing megalasers like a maniac whenever a molerat appears at Red Rocket.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Far Harbor is so hosed up on console. I've spent half my time backtracking because the fog crashes the game, and the map is really big for how few settlements there are, so it's a pain in the rear end to try and sleep every 5 minutes like you'd want to do to protect your progress on survival. loving annoying. I'm debating on just heading back to the commonwealth until there's a patch.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Covok posted:

It's on her rotation of "visions" when you give her a chem.

The problem I had is that from the time when she told me the deactivation code and to the time when I actually thought him was two real world weeks apart so I didn't understand were I had gotten that code from until my next playthrough.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Their kid died.

I guess being essential isn't hereditary :haw:

I knew his son had died but I didn't get any feeling that the two were married.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 30, 2016

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm a bit late to the Far Harbor party but gently caress mission 5 of the VR simulator. When I solved it I thought there was no way what I did was the intended solution but I watched a walk through that did it the same way so it's really just that annoying.

Volkerball posted:

Far Harbor is so hosed up on console. I've spent half my time backtracking because the fog crashes the game, and the map is really big for how few settlements there are, so it's a pain in the rear end to try and sleep every 5 minutes like you'd want to do to protect your progress on survival. loving annoying. I'm debating on just heading back to the commonwealth until there's a patch.
I've not had a crash but the frame rate is atrocious on PS4. I'm glad I'm not playing on survival because I've died several times from being unable to aim properly. I'm usually somewhat forgiving of Bethesda's technical shortcomings but in this case they obviously just did not give a gently caress. I doubt they'll patch it but with console mods maybe someone can do something about it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Beth are claiming a patch is forthcoming

https://twitter.com/bethesdastudios/status/736667205077700608

E:"affecting some"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

J-Spot posted:

I've not had a crash but the frame rate is atrocious on PS4. I'm glad I'm not playing on survival because I've died several times from being unable to aim properly. I'm usually somewhat forgiving of Bethesda's technical shortcomings but in this case they obviously just did not give a gently caress. I doubt they'll patch it but with console mods maybe someone can do something about it.

Really? You're lucky. It's to the point for me that if I decided to walk from the north end to the south end of the island, I'd put my money on it crashing before I made it.

And there's always a patch sometime after a DLC goes live. There hasn't been one yet for Far Harbor. It's still on the launch day patch, so there's definitely one coming. Should be one next week or so.

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/736667205077700608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

efb

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Haha, "some" players my rear end. Even if this is another case where performance gets worse the longer you've played there's no way in hell they didn't knowing put it out in that state. I was going to try to finish it up today but maybe I'll just wait it out and see if the patch helps. I'm surprised to see that they are patching it at all, though. I figured after last gen they were still sticking with their "we can't patch DLC" story.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I like Far Harbor as an x-pack.

But gently caress that main plot line and double gently caress it on Survival without being able to fast travel.

I wound up stuck. I got lazy gathering all the items from the memory due to lack of fast travel, so I confronted Avery and promised to keep her secret. I confronted DiMA's but the only option I could get was "replace the high douchebag at Nucleus", so I blew up the Children of ATOM out of spite. I then got stuck where it wanted me to "confront DiMA" about its crimes but was locked away behind two red Charima checks I couldn't pass even with drugs. Avery had no more options, the daughter said "come back when this is all over". I went to talk to Allen Lee, got the skull analyzed but was still trying to play peaceably so I lied to Allen.

And that's where it got stuck. No other options appeared other than "Decide the fate of Arcadia" with the same dialog choices for DiMA that I couldn't pass.

gently caress you. Reload a save and let Allen Lee rain hell down on the robots. Oddly Valentine barely voiced a dissenting opinion as I condemned his kind to a fiery hell. Loot everything and boat off flipping the double bird.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Probably because I'm from the middle of the country, but I have a much better time traipsing around the Mojave or DC than Boston or some boring rear end part of Maine. They've got funny accents and there's a lot of lobster. Riveting. Far Harbor is just dreadful because of the fog, even on PC. I'd much rather be able to see 3 feet in front of my character in order to enjoy the scenery.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I don't know, I kind of like how Far Harbor's main quest has no easy answers. DiMA's peaceful option may lead to no deaths, but is made to be dirty, uncomfortable, and personal. The more violent options are, well, lead to mass death. Even the option where you get DiMA to pay for his crimes and avoid open hostilities between the other two tribes leads to Nick losing his brother. It feels more interesting overall when there isn't an easy answer and you are forced to deal with some harsh, complicated realities. Sure, the execution isn't perfect, but I like it.

It's worth noting, however, that I actually kind of like the base game's main quest too and enjoy that every group is meant to be a flawed option: minutemen have no future or higher goals worth fighting for, but have little grossness to them; brotherhood are zealots and will kill innocent synths and are bullies, but have structure, a future, and can bring some order; the railroad mean well and are morally just but synths are stronger than average people and sending them out at random to end up doing things like leading raider groups can be argued to be irresponsible, but they are in the moral right and are good hearted; the institute engages in slavery with all the usual excuses to protect them from guilt, but could lead mankind to a better future in the longrun and are lead by your dying son who spits you in the face as his last words if you don't side with him.

None of Fallout 4 is perfect and a lot of things are messed up, but I like the factions with the exception of the minuteman being such a non-factor (could have done more). That's just my opinion.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
After failing the most basic, simplistic speech check, I've downloaded a mod that lets you save in survival. gently caress that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

vandalism posted:

After failing the most basic, simplistic speech check, I've downloaded a mod that lets you save in survival. gently caress that.

I did it after getting stuck trying to use the terminal in The Museum of Freedom 3 times.

If for nothing else, quick saving is necessary because Bethesda games are Joe's Apartment level of buggy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hey now.

The bugs in Joe's Apartment were helpful, don't take this out on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am I totally missing something, or is 50 bucks for the season pass a terrible deal? Everything so far is worth ~45 dollars. What else does Bethesda have planned for the game? If it's another full length pack, then I'll do the pass, but if it's just mod compatibility down the line, then...

• Locked thread