Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Hellsau posted:

I guess WotC follows the One-China policy.

They're a multinational, so yes, like everyone else does.

It may be somewhat unrealistic to hold a corporation to higher standards than the United Nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

If this wasn't obvious enough when WotC claims all the Taiwanese players represent "Chinese Taipei" in event coverage.

There was that one time when they referred to it as Taiwan during event coverage and they profusely apologized about it afterwards

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i wish wotc paid the mtg pros more because their excuse that they cant afford to run the pro tour without a profit is absurd bullshit

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

1-2 drop at my prerelease, the set sucks rear end

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BW Elspeth?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Katana Gomai posted:

Sealed is high variance, my friend

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
So, finally cracked open my Battlebond box for a draft tonight and pulled a foil True Name Nemesis, which is apparently like a $350 CAN card!

What's the best way to sell this, given that I live in Canada? Should I just sell it to one of the Magic stores, like Face to Face games or sell it privately somehow? I'm a filthy casual who knows nothing about any of this stuff and live 6 hours away from a major city.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Katana Gomai posted:

3-0 at mine, goblin instigator + mentor of the meek makes for a lot of off colour card draw.

Edit: this is a shot in the dark but I don't suppose anyone is looking for, or knows anyone in Melbourne who needs a third person for the Games Lab guild league that kicks off next week?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 7, 2018

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

I just went 3-2 and 5-0 on MTGO. My 5-0 pool played 0 rares, but I had two Dryad Greenseeker. I thought they would be good, and they were incredible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is the corest core set to ever core.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reprint the Power 9 and only allow them if you're playing in Tibet.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This is the corest core set to ever core.

It’s a big step down from Dominaria but not bad for a core set. The sealed pools were a challenge to build which is a nice change.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I just went 3-2 and 5-0 on MTGO. My 5-0 pool played 0 rares, but I had two Dryad Greenseeker. I thought they would be good, and they were incredible.

Dryad Greenseeker does seem very good. It's a two mana 1/3 blocker that ensures you nearly never draw blank lands unless you hit a pocket of three in a row. It doesn't even have the downside of Sinbad where you potentially mill yourself out in a 20+ turn game.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Dryad Greenseeker does seem very good. It's a two mana 1/3 blocker that ensures you nearly never draw blank lands unless you hit a pocket of three in a row. It doesn't even have the downside of Sinbad where you potentially mill yourself out in a 20+ turn game.

Yeah when you are out of spells upkeep activating him to hit action was just winning me games and letting me grind out my opponents as a red green aggro deck. Tough to get a handle on draft from playing sealed but I think I’d take it over every common.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
pumped to go to the prerelease this morning, had to stop playing last month for studying reasons.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
0-0-0 drop at pre-release because gently caress playing at midnight are you crazy

Got a Bolas though so, dope

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tainen posted:

This thread has a bunch of scans of new Planeswalker art.

https://twitter.com/vronos/status/1015351211476901888

Huh... That guy blocked me. Lol.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Huh... That guy blocked me. Lol.

Jesus you must be quite the rear end in a top hat.

Or maybe you just said something like, "they should bring back the Cabal Patriarch and his kid."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the meta for the new Dominaria format on arena like so far?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

What's the meta for the new Dominaria format on arena like so far?

Play mono-red because it wins a lot and it wins very, very quickly and you can concede if you're behind or just keep sticking it out for an extra ~10% chance to win or whatever. More games, more wins, less time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So it's even more stale than regular competitive constructed? Hard pass. I have no clue why it costs so much more to enter

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

So it's even more stale than regular competitive constructed? Hard pass. I have no clue why it costs so much more to enter

You simply cannot switch decks without playing a hundred hours or paying another $100 bucks. If you only get one shot you should pick a fast, great deck, even if there are other potentially great decks (there aren't) and other equally fast or faster decks that aren't great (also probably aren't), since a fast deck that is also great will win fast. Hell maybe Esper Control is better than Mono-red. If it is, I wouldn't know, but I sure as hell know I can win two games with Mono-Red before that Esper deck will finish one.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

precision posted:

It's just the "buy a Dominaria pack and play some games for free" format. The idea is to drain gold out of the economy prior to a new set release, so people buy gems.

The meta is just Standard, since the format is Standard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
First midnight prerelease in 2 years. gently caress me.

Went 1-2 with a super mediocre B/W deck. I had four of the most busted green rares including Pelakka Wurm. But nothing else. A total of 6 playable green cards. I did pull a Resplendent Angel and the Deathmark for colorless dudes. That's about it.

The Sigiled Sword of whatever thingy equipment is loving monstrous. I promptly lost game three, round two when my opponent decided to drop that out of nowhere onto their 4 drop 6/6 demon dude.
That was fun...

And yeah, the removal in this set is wholly poo poo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

First midnight prerelease in 2 years. gently caress me.

Went 1-2 with a super mediocre B/W deck. I had four of the most busted green rares including Pelakka Wurm. But nothing else. A total of 6 playable green cards. I did pull a Resplendent Angel and the Deathmark for colorless dudes. That's about it.

The Sigiled Sword of whatever thingy equipment is loving monstrous. I promptly lost game three, round two when my opponent decided to drop that out of nowhere onto their 4 drop 6/6 demon dude.
That was fun...

And yeah, the removal in this set is wholly poo poo.

Was there a possible build of those 6 green cards plus a bunch of white, or a bunch of black cards, even if it only got you up to like 21 playables? I just prefer having actual Good Cards like Pelakka Wurm in my sealed decks, even if it's surrounded by a bunch of chaff.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellsau posted:

Was there a possible build of those 6 green cards plus a bunch of white, or a bunch of black cards, even if it only got you up to like 21 playables? I just prefer having actual Good Cards like Pelakka Wurm in my sealed decks, even if it's surrounded by a bunch of chaff.

G would have to have been the splash, and as bonkers as Pelakka is, I'm not splashing a GGG card. I had a decent B/W top end including Resplendent, the rallying angel that gives guys vigilance on ETB, and the vampire that drains opponents for three on ETB.

No joking, I'm 90% sure that green is the best color in the set for limited.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

G would have to have been the splash, and as bonkers as Pelakka is, I'm not splashing a GGG card. I had a decent B/W top end including Resplendent, the rallying angel that gives guys vigilance on ETB, and the vampire that drains opponents for three on ETB.

No joking, I'm 90% sure that green is the best color in the set for limited.

You can "splash" Pelakka Wurm if your (presumably white) main color doesn't have ludicrous color constraints. 10-8 is okay but underwhelming, but if you don't have more double-white requirements past the Resplendent Angel you could probably have run 9 Plains 9 Forests.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Bad Standard Deck Idea:

Only creatures in your deck are one copy each of Heart-Piercer Manticore, Ghalta, and Angrath's Marauders. Rest of the deck is removal and token spells. Then cast Indomitable Creativity x=3

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Was everybody’s pool just super creature light? The highest number of creatures I had in any color was 7.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
0-1 drop. I played modern FNM the beforehand with abzan loam pox and I was completely drained by the time I started cracking packs. I did snatch up two of the spirit lord and three of the tormod's crypt on a stick spirit, though. Hoping to get the rest today. My LGS is struggling for numbers so I signed up for a few prereleases.

And yeah, super creature light ^^^

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Got talked into a midnight release, ended up with a pretty sweet pool. I had Vivien Reid as my promo, with Bone Dragon, Demanding Dragon, Goreclaw, Banefire, and a few more creatures with good goreclaw interaction and some good removal. Despite my new cardinal rule of not playing three colors, I effectively played Jund Dragons. I really only got screwed on colors once and was surprised with my deck’s ability to pull the lands I needed the rest of the games.

Ended with a 2-2 record and a pity pack with Vaevictis Asmadi, which would’ve been nice in my pool, but eh. Still fun, I like the set, and I look forward to drafting it.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

mossyfisk posted:

Bad Standard Deck Idea:

Only creatures in your deck are one copy each of Heart-Piercer Manticore, Ghalta, and Angrath's Marauders. Rest of the deck is removal and token spells. Then cast Indomitable Creativity x=3

What if you, y’know...draw one?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Full Prerelease with big summer heat is a thing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's funny because yesterday and today have been the first few nice days we've had here in Indiana in a long time. It's like the heat wave died when the 4th of July ended.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

sc4rs posted:

Look I'm just the ideas man

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you open Arcades, don't try playing it, you will fail

That is all

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sc4rs posted:

Cheat.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

If you open Arcades, don't try playing it, you will fail

That is all

On the other hand. DO play Palladia Moors. I went 4-0 playing green/white with a small splash of red to play her. a dual. the pick up top 5 cards and put a land into play elf, a single mountain, and that bad enchantment for 3 that ramps you a little made me have no issues casting her.

Seems like its impossible to have a reasonable splash if you are not in green in this format.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I'm just hoping to do what I did in the dominaria prerelease, which is open $100 in rares and then win out by stealing everyone else's good cards.

I don't think that's possible, mind you, it's just what I hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Does playing Arcades just as a Serra Angel-type thing not work out due to the mana cost, or what?