Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Y'all got the wrong perspective for this. I'm not tilting my head back to look up, I'm pushing my focal point (i.e. the crosshair) up and my view follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Looks like 1070 ti reviews are dropping at the usual suspects and fall in line worth what most thought. 10-20% faster than 1070 but 10-20% slower than a 1080, depending on what model you’re looking at. Vega 56 @ $399 is a decent buy. Prices for the 1070 ti seem to be $460-$500 making it a tough buy against $500ish 1080s that also come with destiny 2 you can either play or resell for $30ish.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3109-nvidia-gtx-1070-ti-review-strategic-play-ft-colorful

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, but with buttcoins above $7,000, the 1070Ti can pay for itself! Eventually....

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Miners will buy the 1070tis and the price will push people up to 1080s. nVidia wins either way.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Somehow the cheapest non poo poo 1080ti I can find in the uk is the FE directly from nvidia? Everything else is a lovely budget blower card or a small zotac one. Like somehow the MSI Armor one is like £1 cheaper than the FE.

I mean I really don't need a 1080ti but....

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Don't buy a blower 1080Ti

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I'm still super happy with my 1080non-TI. With a solid 4+ year CPU (i5 4670K), I'm still sitting at 4.4GHZ and a GPU hitting over 2GHZ even under load. This is with the Founder's Edition Blower, FYI. I think It comes down to card lottery and airflow in general...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Apparently Asus removed the clock specifications from their Vega Strix listing for some reason.

Maybe another sign of yield problems? Could also just be a fuckup by their webmaster though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More like Nvidia is forcing every board partner to ship the exact same stock clocks on 1070Tis. Because any meaningful factory overclock is just going to push it straight past the 1080 for less money.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

More like Nvidia is forcing every board partner to ship the exact same stock clocks on 1070Tis. Because any meaningful factory overclock is just going to push it straight past the 1080 for less money.

remember when people were melting down cause Nvidia was gonna "ban" user overclocking? and then it was just that partners couldnt released factory OCed boards? the internet is dumb

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Vega, not 1070 Ti.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mah bad, should have clicked the link instead of assuming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mah bad, should have clicked the link instead of assuming.

You didn't even read what he posted

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apparently Asus removed the clock specifications from their Vega Strix listing for some reason.

Maybe another sign of yield problems? Could also just be a fuckup by their webmaster though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
-13 SAKredPoints

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

redeyes posted:

For me its like I'm flying a plane, pull back on the stick and go up, etc. Inverse for me.

A real world example of inverted is the rudder pedals on a plane which operate inverted, and in my opinion, completely the wrong way. Push the left pedal, the right pedal will come closer and the plane will turn left. I would really like to know who we have to thank for that.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Saukkis posted:

A real world example of inverted is the rudder pedals on a plane which operate inverted, and in my opinion, completely the wrong way. Push the left pedal, the right pedal will come closer and the plane will turn left. I would really like to know who we have to thank for that.

Probably the way the mechanical wheels and pulleys were set up on the first airplanes, and then kept that way for tradition. Also probably explains the elevator.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

thetechnoloser posted:

I'm still super happy with my 1080non-TI. With a solid 4+ year CPU (i5 4670K), I'm still sitting at 4.4GHZ and a GPU hitting over 2GHZ even under load. This is with the Founder's Edition Blower, FYI. I think It comes down to card lottery and airflow in general...

I could believe that a 1080 non-Ti blower could be tolerable but the 1080 Ti is 70 more watts on a blower already working hard to cool the 1080, it's not a pleasant experience unless you don't mind noise.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anyone know if the 1070Ti's are better than 1070's for mining? I checked ebay and there doesn't seem to be any premium on them. I figure if I'm going to scalp anyone, it should be the miners, but my initial research doesn't seem promising.

MaxxBot posted:

I could believe that a 1080 non-Ti blower could be tolerable but the 1080 Ti is 70 more watts on a blower already working hard to cool the 1080, it's not a pleasant experience unless you don't mind noise.

The Ti FE doesn't get that loud with the stock fan curve, but it throttles or leaves performance on the table, however you want to think of it but it isn't ideal for sure.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes a ti should be better since its still on gddr5

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone know if the 1070Ti's are better than 1070's for mining? I checked ebay and there doesn't seem to be any premium on them. I figure if I'm going to scalp anyone, it should be the miners, but my initial research doesn't seem promising.

The Ti FE doesn't get that loud with the stock fan curve, but it throttles or leaves performance on the table, however you want to think of it but it isn't ideal for sure.

Make and spread fake reports saying how much better the ti is for mining than the normal 1070, profit. People will believe anything without researching it.

On the other hand, if the ti isn’t attractive for mining we have something less than the 1080 that won’t be stupidly priced.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With the Ti having the same memory bandwidth as the 1070 and a higher price, I feel like the hash/$ ratio is still going to lean towards the regular 1070 and Vega parts for most coins. Guess we will see. Hopefully the bubble bursts completely and the force of the implosion also sterilizes anyone heavily invested in mining. Hopefully.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 1080 still mines faster than the 1070 even with less usable memory bandwidth. I think with the 1070 Ti being much closer to a 1080 with the same memory as a 1070 might mean the 1070 Ti is the new mining go to card.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/926142332726120448

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

To put that in context:

https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/926142818464215042

:iia:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
How does the game look visually? I'm kind of reluctant to buy it because I hear the campaign is really short but if it's graphically amazing I might consider it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MaxxBot posted:

How does the game look visually? I'm kind of reluctant to buy it because I hear the campaign is really short but if it's graphically amazing I might consider it.

Artistically great, but other than the optimization I don't find it particularly impressive at the technical front.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MaxxBot posted:

I encourage you to buy it. Spielberg couldn't direct a better version, even if he had a whole miniseries to work with. I've got 14 hours on Steam's time played, and that's just my first playthrough.

Just remember: Stick and move, not run and gun, not cover and ADS.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I encourage you to buy it. Spielberg couldn't direct a better version, even if he had a whole miniseries to work with. I've got 14 hours on Steam's time played, and that's just my first playthrough.

Just remember: Stick and move, not run and gun, not cover and ADS.

How come like, everyone on Steam seems to hate it? I heard there's some IRL Nazis who are rating it down but there can't be THAT many...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zero VGS posted:

How come like, everyone on Steam seems to hate it? I heard there's some IRL Nazis who are rating it down but there can't be THAT many...

Stability stuff, but also yes there are that many dipshit "SJWs are the REAL fascists!!!!" nazis.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

A lot of people are getting graphical glitches, crashes, bluescreens and so on. It's the first game to use Vulkan exclusively so there was bound to be problems, the drivers are still pretty raw.

It does look fantastic if you can actually get it to work though :prepop:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

repiv posted:

A lot of people are getting graphical glitches, crashes, bluescreens and so on. It's the first game to use Vulkan exclusively so there was bound to be problems, the drivers are still pretty raw.

It does look fantastic if you can actually get it to work though :prepop:

Doesnt work at all witg phenom processors. Thats gonna twist a lot of panties

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Doesnt work at all witg phenom processors. Thats gonna twist a lot of panties

A game not working on Phenom is hardly news at this point, it lacks support for later SSE instructions that are supported by the consoles Jaguar cores so Phenom-incompatible code can easily make its way into an engine.

No Mans Sky and Destiny 2 had the same issue at launch.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Burying the lede in the comments section: Videocardz confirms the earlier GN reports that partners still can't get chips for custom Vega cards and have no idea what the gently caress is going on at AMD right now.

WhyCry from VideoCardz posted:

I spoke with other board partner today, they said they have no GPUs from AMD and they have no idea why AMD is not providing them.

I can't say who told me that.

AMD has higher margins on their reference design, they are just not providing GPUs for custom boards. I believe the date for shipment has been changed multiple times now.

Rumor has it, ASUS had some kind of a deal with AMD, that's how they first received GPUs for STRIX Vega.

Pretty interesting card though, and the passthrough might help cooling. I won't deny that you can do some cool things with shorty PCBs with HBM-based GPUs. I just wish they'd go for a bit less aggressive styling, maybe black-on-black like a DD or a Nitro instead of red-on-black.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 3, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia is releasing a third Pascal Titan :raise:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That a new chip or just a tuned XP with xmas lights on it?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Lockback posted:

That a new chip or just a tuned XP with xmas lights on it?

The Xp(Pp)pPascalp is already the full chip, so given that it's branded as a collector's edition I'm gonna guess you're right that it'll be lit up like a tree without much if any performance difference. It's not like they can really get much more out of memory than the 12Gbps 5x they have now until 6 arrives in the spring.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Raja is never going to be allowed to come back from his sabbatical

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Volta is coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Volta is coming

I was about to say it's too early for GV102, but Nvidia is so far ahead I wouldn't put it past them to release GV104 as a Titan :lol: