Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

My new predicament is whether or not I should eventually betray them for the Railroad. Because on the one hand, Deacon is probably the most likable companion. On the other, I knew there were children on board, but I didn't notice until yesterday that there's also cats on the Prydwen :ohdear:

Do it. The Railroad's quest where you take out the Brotherhood is one of the best in the game, whereas siding with the Brotherhood just makes you feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deified Data posted:

Do it. The Railroad's quest where you take out the Brotherhood is one of the best in the game, whereas siding with the Brotherhood just makes you feel like an rear end in a top hat.

They had P.A.M who can predict the future and never saw it coming, the Railroad got what they deserved. :colbert:

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
This is dumb but does anyone know of any good mods for the cats you can get in your settlements? Like different colors other than the one shade of grey, or a companion cat or anything? I just want to hoard junk and have as many cats as possible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oof, I hate the institute, but now that I've got a sweet-rear end X-01 suit of power armor I really want to get their ending just so I can get the neat white Institute paintjob that goes with it. Plus I never really delved into their missions before...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Covok posted:

Woah, a sighted shotgun is both a rifle and a sniper? Daym!

And here I never put points in perception for sniper weapons because I just wanted to use shotguns, the complete opposite end of the spectrum or so I thought!

Glazius posted:

It's largely a comedy weapon. Does ridiculous knockback but little damage. You can fit it out like a gamma gun otherwise, and even take out the artifact and plug it into a legendary gamma gun chassis for that bonus effect.

Adding Lorenzo's special modifier to an Explosive legendary is loving amazing and hilarious.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 31, 2016

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Speedball posted:

Oof, I hate the institute, but now that I've got a sweet-rear end X-01 suit of power armor I really want to get their ending just so I can get the neat white Institute paintjob that goes with it. Plus I never really delved into their missions before...

The Institute is pretty loving boss, though that might be my bias towards transhumanism, my love of raygun gothic, and the hope that, under the PC, the Institute would be able to eventually help the Commonwealth now that there's an actual 'leader' at the head of things.

Also, the Institute X-01 looks so loving badass, it's not funny. It's a shame there's no place for crafting in the Institute, otherwise it'd be perfect.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Magil of Shadow posted:

Also, the Institute X-01 looks so loving badass, it's not funny. It's a shame there's no place for crafting in the Institute, otherwise it'd be perfect.

Hopefully Elianora does an institute bedroom revamp

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Magil of Shadow posted:

The Institute is pretty loving boss, though that might be my bias towards transhumanism, my love of raygun gothic, and the hope that, under the PC, the Institute would be able to eventually help the Commonwealth now that there's an actual 'leader' at the head of things.

Was there really any transhumanism in the institute? Outside the failed super mutant research, there wasn't any attempts to improve on pre-existing humans, just make a new species.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The new species was supposed to be the improvement.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deified Data posted:

The new species was supposed to be the improvement.

Improvement on the common toaster you mean, since they don't consider synths to be anything more than that.

The new species was just supposed to be their surface slave labor force until it was clean enough for real people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
But, they're treated as property and are essentially slaves to humans.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Sometimes they talk about the synth being an improvement on humans but they are treated as property.

It would have been interesting if you later found out that Institute staff had gradually been replaced by synths in this effort.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

All the plot twists that could've been, especially after the reveal when you first get to the institute.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Even one of the disgruntled Institute scientists walking around their base grumbles about not understanding how synths are supposed to be the next-generation of Humans or whatever. I wish there had been an option to side with that guy's viewpoint more and re-open the cybernetics division that had benefited Kellogg so much

Covok
May 27, 2013

The weird thing with the Institute is that they're meant to be a scientific organization that, while good intentioned, is misguided and ethically bankrupt. The problem is, even if you take them over, you can only do so by agreeing with them, not by making them realize "syths are people" or "the people of the commonwealth matter too."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
To the Institute, a slave race immune to radiation without the need to eat or drink and answerable only to the Institute is the ultimate improvement on humanity, who are otherwise useless to their petty vanity projects.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Am I the only one kinda underwhelmed by Far Harbor?

Maybe I was just spoiled by New Vegas having incredible DLC in it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hxcorpse posted:

This is dumb but does anyone know of any good mods for the cats you can get in your settlements?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You monster. That reminds me, I haven't murdered that one farmer who raises cats and sells their meat in my current game yet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Am I the only one kinda underwhelmed by Far Harbor?

Maybe I was just spoiled by New Vegas having incredible DLC in it.

I'm spoiled by Dead Money and Old World Blues, but compared to NV's "large open landmass to do more questing in", Far Harbor has Honest Hearts beat on pretty much every front. I don't expect them to have an answer to Dead Money though. That was kind of Obsidian's opus when it came to NV. I'd have been fine if that was the beginning and end of the DLC as it wraps up the narrative themes of the game perfectly.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 31, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

marktheando posted:

You monster. That reminds me, I haven't murdered that one farmer who raises cats and sells their meat in my current game yet.

Never run into that guy. Makes sense, though. While dogs are always useful, cats are useless in the apocalypse except as a food source. Coincidentally, I have a dog as a pet.

Deified Data posted:

To the Institute, a slave race immune to radiation without the need to eat or drink and answerable only to the Institute is the ultimate improvement on humanity, who are otherwise useless to their petty vanity projects.

On the subject of the Institute, when they said they needed unaltered human DNA, they needed the baby because everyone in Fallout is slightly mutated, according to the villain of 3? Because the baby was right next to a nuclear blast so it wasn't free from radiation exposure.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's only one proper Fallout 4 pet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

On the subject of the Institute, when they said they needed unaltered human DNA, they needed the baby because everyone in Fallout is slightly mutated, according to the villain of 3? Because the baby was right next to a nuclear blast so it wasn't free from radiation exposure.

I'm assuming they mean a specimen that didn't grow up with exposure. Rads are easy as hell to cleanse in the world of Fallout. If baby Shaun was irradiated all they'd have to do is give him Gerber-brand Rad-Away and he'd be good as new. Not so with a baby that was born in the wastes to parents that grew up in the wastes. I assume small mutations take hold that chems can't cure.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Yeah that's been a thing since at least the original Fallout, where The Master wanted fresh Vault citizens with pure genetics to make intelligent Super Mutants.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeah that's been a thing since at least the original Fallout, where The Master wanted fresh Vault citizens with pure genetics to make intelligent Super Mutants.

Everyone outside the vault got vaccinated one too many times

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I really wish they had given the Institute a clearer goal or something, because as it stands it leaves me really unmotivated to finish the main questline. I went Brotherhood because I was tired of how dumb everyone else was being, but it turns out the Brotherhood is just as if not more dumb.

Is Far Harbor a better story or does it have just as much sloppy writing?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Charles Get-Out posted:

I really wish they had given the Institute a clearer goal or something, because as it stands it leaves me really unmotivated to finish the main questline. I went Brotherhood because I was tired of how dumb everyone else was being, but it turns out the Brotherhood is just as if not more dumb.

The main actor in the questline made some contrived choices in the past that you now have to make some pretty interesting choices about how to resolve, so it's an improvement in my opinion. One faction is just batshit evil though, so you could always just side with them if you don't like moral greyness.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Far Harbor has better writing. It's just too bad they have a Mama Murphy clone on the docks (find, no visions, but Ms Dalton had just as annoying a voice) and a marcy long clone in Acadia (walks up to you at the crafting benches and starts screaming "I REALLY CAN'T DEAL WITH TALKING RIGHT NOW")

Covok
May 27, 2013

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's a little better. People have a reason that makes sense for them for what they do. Isn't perfect.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Reasonable motivations is really all I ask. I'm not looking for Shakespeare, but it helps me out a lot if I can understand why key players in a plot are doing what they are doing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Charles Get-Out posted:

Reasonable motivations is really all I ask. I'm not looking for Shakespeare, but it helps me out a lot if I can understand why key players in a plot are doing what they are doing.

Yeah, everyone has fairly well laid out motivations. Tho as I think about it I'm not 100% sure why Allen hates Acadia so much (at least initially). If he did. Now that I try to recall the opening of Far Harbor I don't know that he really gets pissed off about anything other than outsiders and the Children.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, Acadia is made of 3rd generation syths who could easily infiltrate and control Far Harbor. Probably why he doesn't like them, it's why Diamond City doesn't like them at least.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is there ever any reason given anywhere as to why the Gen1 synths seem way less intelligent than say Codsworth, a simple robot butler? I have a feeling the answer would involve the phrase 'personality matrix' or some other such device. Really i could deal with the poor Institute writing if I could just ask some glaringly obvious questions and get some kind of cobbled together answer from someone there. Why are they replacing people? How do they consider gen3's not sentient/independent like a real human? Is there a difference between a perfect simulation and the real thing? What's the endgame goal besides making heartier humanoids? How will they go down a different path than pre-war humanity? I don't remember ever really getting clear answers to any of those questions, but maybe I just didn't talk to enough people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

graynull posted:

Is there ever any reason given anywhere as to why the Gen1 synths seem way less intelligent than say Codsworth, a simple robot butler?

Well, you see, CIT didn't have a good A.I. program...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Covok posted:

Well, these are people that can make something completely indistinguishable from a person shut down with a simple verbal keyword but also can't program them well enough to simply shut down upon leaving the institute.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Covok posted:

I think this would've been the go-to handwave, that CIT dudes had to build up their robot-building from practically scratch. It almost makes sense too, but Automatron has literal junk farmers able to do it.

graynull posted:

Is there ever any reason given anywhere as to why the Gen1 synths seem way less intelligent than say Codsworth, a simple robot butler? I have a feeling the answer would involve the phrase 'personality matrix' or some other such device. Really i could deal with the poor Institute writing if I could just ask some glaringly obvious questions and get some kind of cobbled together answer from someone there. Why are they replacing people? How do they consider gen3's not sentient/independent like a real human? Is there a difference between a perfect simulation and the real thing? What's the endgame goal besides making heartier humanoids? How will they go down a different path than pre-war humanity? I don't remember ever really getting clear answers to any of those questions, but maybe I just didn't talk to enough people.

Literally none of your questions are answered from what I've seen. Basically "what's the point?" or "why?" jumps into my head with every Institute reveal.

Azhais posted:

Well, these are people that can make something completely indistinguishable from a person shut down with a simple verbal keyword but also can't program them well enough to simply shut down upon leaving the institute.

Never thought about that. This is the dumbest plot organization in any fallout.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think it's as simple as consumer-model robot butlers requiring some degree of personality to endear themselves to the average household, whereas robotic slaves do not. Sentry Bots and Assaultrons are equally utilitarian in whatever AI they're running.

Azhais posted:

You'd also think they could recall the destinations that people use their relay to travel to, and that natural questions would arise from having the player continually warp to and from the Railroad HQ or the Prydwen.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Wolfsheim posted:

My new predicament is whether or not I should eventually betray them for the Railroad. Because on the one hand, Deacon is probably the most likable companion. On the other, I knew there were children on board, but I didn't notice until yesterday that there's also cats on the Prydwen :ohdear:
I had the same problem until we boarded the Prydwen and the Hitler Youth started running around and yelling NO MERCY while the adults were trying to push my poo poo in. gently caress 'em. :colbert:

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

hxcorpse posted:

I just want to hoard junk and have as many cats as possible.

In the game or in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Azhais posted:

There's only one proper Fallout 4 pet.

Does it only ever move when you're looking away from it, like some sort of Creepy Watson?

• Locked thread