Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

prefect posted:

Sure, but the Democrats are gutless cowards and will certainly fold like the useless shits they are.

the house hasn’t folded on much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

They haven't also done much

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

euphronius posted:

The house voted to keep kids in cages, but that Trump has to let them know ASAP, pretty please when one of them dies or gets abused.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/1171715526428680193?s=20

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dominic No-Nut September more like

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

michael "fucks horses" pence

WOAH that is slander.

Pence is hosed BY horses. He does not do the loving, Mother would not like that.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

giving cummings completely positive coverage is so perverse lol. even fox news doesnt suck off bannon

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I don't fully understand why a Scottish court even rules on constitutional matters when there is the High Court. While I appreciate the comedy in this episode of "Brexit", is there any articles that properly explains what's up with those Scots?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nanomachines.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Randler posted:

I don't fully understand why a Scottish court even rules on constitutional matters when there is the High Court. While I appreciate the comedy in this episode of "Brexit", is there any articles that properly explains what's up with those Scots?

under the 1707 act of union that created the uk, parliament has to follow both english law and scots law. seems like what boris did was legal in english law but illegal under scots law.

this goes to the supreme court now, but will still be decided under scots law

twoday
May 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

giving cummings completely positive coverage is so perverse lol. even fox news doesnt suck off bannon

The Daily Express doesn't really count as news I think

https://twitter.com/MrTom/status/1171749081565290498?s=19

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Randler posted:

The high court in england is closed for holidays so the plaintiffs submitted their complaint to the scots to get it to the supreme asap

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the only law in scotstown... is scots law!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Doccykins posted:

The high court in england is closed for holidays so the plaintiffs submitted their complaint to the scots to get it to the supreme asap

This isn't true, there's a separate but similar case in the English courts and the reason there's one in Scottish courts is it's submitted by Scottish MPs

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

yeah law types on twitter are saying the english case is doomed to lose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Farm Frenzy posted:

he's known to leak stuff to the press constantly so they love him

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

This guy has opinions about Muslims

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1171688631242756096?s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

other than funding concentration camps but alas this is a non-US thread

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

other than funding concentration camps but alas this is a non-US thread

only for a lil bit longer

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

to the second thing, not the first

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Channel Islands named the UK's top gastronomic hotspot
Region boasts 16 restaurants in the Good Food Guide across Jersey, Guernsey and Sark
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/sep/10/channel-islands-named-the-uks-top-gastronomic-hotspot

None of the Channel Islands are in the UK.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

twoday posted:

The Daily Express doesn't really count as news I think

https://twitter.com/MrTom/status/1171749081565290498?s=19

Remember when the current editor of the express was appointed and got a bunch of glowing coverage about how he was a sensible liberal who would get rid of all the hard right anti-immigration stuff lol

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

prefect posted:

Sure, but the Democrats are gutless cowards and will certainly fold like the useless shits they are.

It doesn't help that due to the UK having to pretty much beg for any deal they can get, the deal would probably be almost exploitatively good from the perspective of America.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

euphronius posted:

didn’t pelosi say no trade deal unless there situation in Ireland is worked out

she did
there will be no trade deal regardless, we're not capable of negotiating trade deals at the moment because Congress is divided over the question of lube or no lube and it's preventing us from loving the other party in any trade deals, lucky for everyone else

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

twoday posted:

People are asking for Boris to recall parliament so they can do things again, but the last sentence seems to make clear that parliament was never suspended, so they should just meet and start doing parliament stuff.

However in order to do so they need to move the mace into place, so the entire thing boils down to convincing the Sarjeant-at-arms to return it

I can't tell if you're kidding, but somehow I suspect you're not

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

prefect posted:

The neoliberal trade concensus is at a breaking point and the Dems absolutely will not pass any deal Trump has had anything to do with because he keeps going full mask off and making it obvious exactly how bad it is to get involved with the US.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Relevant Tangent posted:

The neoliberal trade concensus is at a breaking point and the Dems absolutely will not pass any deal Trump has had anything to do with because he keeps going full mask off and making it obvious exactly how bad it is to get involved with the US.

it's amazing how people still believe in dem leadership doing anything but the most pathetic poo poo when we have penetrated the veil and there is nary a spec of mattering to be had

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ok I lol'd

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The house voted to keep kids in cages, but that Trump has to let them know ASAP, pretty please when one of them dies or gets abused.

right, they got what they wanted. so no folding so far

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I can't tell if you're kidding, but somehow I suspect you're not

I mean it would a decision by the Supreme Court to convince her, what I said was correct, I'm just framing it oddly

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1171719283447074816?s=20

People are asking for Boris to recall parliament so they can do things again, but the last sentence seems to make clear that parliament was never suspended, so they should just meet and start doing parliament stuff.

However in order to do so they need to move the mace into place, so the entire thing boils down to convincing the Sarjeant-at-arms to return it

In a 5-4 decision...

Seriously though they should take this up to the ECJ because that would be hilarious.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the English courts best argument is that it’ll be mighty awkard to involve themselves in this political matter so we’re not going to

lol if people think that judges will be any bulwark against a dictatorship

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I've already heard this morning that there is a high possibility that the supreme court will not rule against the government on the prorogue period because they are anticipating having to take a stance when Boris either refuses or tries to get out of requesting an extension from the EU which they think will have a far higher impact on how much of a constitutional crisis it would be (as it has already been signed into law by the queen).

The government is just freestyle trampling over the laws of the land right now.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
how stupid is the queen supposed to be "fooled" here?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

treat the sovereign not as a person but as a legal fiction that happens to have an expensive mascot, and british govt makes a lot more sense

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bip Roberts posted:

I assume it's just convention. In other countries, they could have said something about acting in bad faith, "letter, not spirit of the law", teleological reductions etc. But because this is ~ Glorious Britane ~ all those considerations have to be rephrased as "Somebody lied to an old lady, how rude". Presumably while wearing the proper magic wig to imbue judicial power into that sentence.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s going to be the 31st Oct when Johnson refuses to send the letter, Corbyn will try to form a government to do so, but the Lib Dem’s and several labour rebels won’t join and then we crash out

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s going to be the 31st Oct when Johnson refuses to send the letter, Corbyn will try to form a government to do so, but the Lib Dem’s and several labour rebels won’t join and then we crash out

The media will praise the PM for following through on his promise while demonizing Corbyn for being an egotistical antisemite by not agreeing to let a Lib Dem head a temporary government and crashing out the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Randler posted:

I assume it's just convention. In other countries, they could have said something about acting in bad faith, "letter, not spirit of the law", teleological reductions etc. But because this is ~ Glorious Britane ~ all those considerations have to be rephrased as "Somebody lied to an old lady, how rude". Presumably while wearing the proper magic wig to imbue judicial power into that sentence.

So Boris just needed to say out loud that he was stopping parliament for petty political reasons for it to be legal despite no one doubting that being the reason?