Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Men are hilarious when it comes to what other men (and boys) should be into at what age. This is what led to my father organizing a bachelor party (that I explicitly didn't want) for my first wedding and the night ended with one of the hired sex workers being taken away in an ambulance after passing out while smoking crack in the bar restroom and splitting her head open on the sink, all while her employer(?) screamed that this better not be more of her bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

AITA for not saying anything when my son knocked a glass jar out of a man’s hand?

quote:

I (42 F) have a son “Jax” (12 M). He recently entered 7th grade and he is very talented when it comes to math. He’s always enjoyed it and I’m proud that my son has a great interest in this subject.

I went to my SIL’s (31 F) baby shower. I only brought Jax along (I’m divorced). My SIL and brother (36 M) were playing some games with the other children and adults in which a prize could be won. My brother brought out a jar filled with gummy bears and said if anyone could guess the closest to how many bears were in the jar, they could keep it. Jax knew how to solve it with some sort of complicated formula. He grabbed a napkin and a pen and started solving it. When he got his answer, he yelled it out (62 bears). A man yelled out 65, which he got it because it was the exact number. He noticed how much work my son was doing, and said an answer that was close to his.

Jax started saying how unfair it was that he didn’t do the work and got it, so he ran up to him and pushed the jar out of his hand, causing it to shatter into pieces on the floor. Everyone looked at Jax, then to me. I didn’t say anything, I knew that the man didn’t deserve it because he didn’t do the work. The baby shower was mostly silent after that.

Luckily, my SIL had a mini sweep and broom in her car, which she brought out. I helped clean up the mess. After the baby shower, I received texts from people who were there, telling me how I have no sense of responsibility for my son and that his behavior needs to be fixed. As for the man, he had no reaction when it happened and he left early.

I feel like AITA, but I also feel like the man deserved it. So Reddit, AITA?

he did a whole equation and couldn't even get it??? lmao

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

From what I've of their prince Wales does not seem a very pleasant place.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao at this total dumbass. Like the kid already speaks English anyway? Absolute moron

Also looked it up and it seems like Welsh is the only Celtic language that's on the rise in terms of speakers, which just makes this funnier

Yeah, the Welsh have done amazingly at reviving the common use of the language - it was in a pretty steep decline until serious action to save it started it the 1960's when this trend was reversed :unsmith:

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Bruceski posted:

Your... wife's fiance?

Yeah, we've been separated since Jan 2020, but never bothered to get the divorce even though she's been engaged to the other guy since April 2020. Basically but not technically my ex-wife.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BounceBanana posted:

Yeah, we've been separated since Jan 2020, but never bothered to get the divorce

And here I thought I was lazy as gently caress.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Booky posted:

AITA for not saying anything when my son knocked a glass jar out of a man’s hand?

he did a whole equation and couldn't even get it??? lmao

I could be way off on this but, 65 would have to be a tiny jar of gummy bears right? I feel like you get atleast double that in a regular sized pack.

Also everybody knows that back of the envelope mathematics only works for these "guess how many" games when everyone else's guess is secret. Otherwise you just guess one higher or lower than what seems the closest guess so far

Sounds like the kids learned a good lesson about out sourcing grunt work to me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But he really wanted that 24 cumulative hours of limousine chauffeuring :(

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

Pookah posted:

Yeah, the Welsh have done amazingly at reviving the common use of the language - it was in a pretty steep decline until serious action to save it started it the 1960's when this trend was reversed :unsmith:

Yep. Context for those who don't know on why use of Welsh was in decline - the English government have been suppressing it for hundreds of years, including punishing kids who spoke it in school.

Also - Megan is pronounced slightly differently in Wales, the last syllable is more like 'ann'. But it sounds like this dude is just being an arsehole about it for no reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Invisible Clergy posted:

Found a bingo of thread greatest hits in a single post:

Aita for pawning cards?

(added paragraph breaks)

This post seems to have been masterfully crafted to make me angry. I'm also amazed that he apparently played the Pokemon card game as a kid but never even heard of Magic?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BrigadierSensible posted:

But yeah, you can fly internationally in Europe on flights of only an hour or so. So maybe they would not enforce that on your RyanAir style budget airlines.

Ryanair might not, but pretty much everything else still does, including Norwegian.

I flew home with a pretty exhausted group of friends who all just got buzzed enough to sleep through the flight, but I couldn't handle that. Fortunately I was seated next to a couple with a toddler, and when she got fussy, as toddlers on planes are wont to do, they started singing lullabies to calm her down. Put me right to sleep.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 1, 2022

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always assumed that alcohol was free on international flights. Regardless of the length.

But yeah, you can fly internationally in Europe on flights of only an hour or so. So maybe they would not enforce that on your RyanAir style budget airlines.

This post reminds me of when I used to fly United between Hawaii and Guam occasionally and you wouldn't get free booze because ""it's domestic" even though it's an 8 hour flight and you go through passport control at the end.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ryanair might not, but pretty much everything else still does, including Norwegian.

I flew home with a pretty exhausted group of friends who all just got buzzed enough to sleep through the flight, but I couldn't handle that. Fortunately I was seated next to a couple with a toddler, and when she got fuzzy, as toddlers on planes are wont to do, they started singing lullabies to calm her down. Put me right to sleep.

There's nothing I hate worse than a fuzzy toddler. this one woman in my neighborhood pushes a pram with the fuzziest toddler I've ever seen. actually fuzzy is an understatemen. I'm talking giant white locks of hair coming from all over its body.

I want so bad to roll down my window and say hey shave your kid! but she looks pretty tough and I don't have the chutzpa.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:siren: New rule! :siren:

Jokes or "jokes" accusing any Something Awful poster being a pedophile without evidence are no longer going to be tolerated. Even Reddit doesn't allow that any more. From now on any such "jokes" in GBS will receive "probes" of indeterminate length subject to mod discretion. This includes "jokes" about the mod team being pedos, which has officially been run into the ground at this point. Note that this explicitly includes "mods knew".

Good lord, people, give it a rest.

a reminder.

Having to contend with dealing with pedophilia first hand myself, i am quite sick of the jokes. I think I was what, literally in HS when aatrek happened? I don’t know because I hate loving thinking about the horrendous situation because it is loving upsetting.

Get a grip, or get lost. Take that wack rear end QAnon conspiracy trash and idk, die.

Regards,
TW

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
[Wyoming] Roommate exposed us to toxic radon gas, what can I do legally?

quote:

I (26F) live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my (19M) roommate. My roommate has a collection of clocks and old electronics he keeps in a case in his bedroom. I received my radon detector from a friend three days ago. He had high radon levels (5 pCi/l) in his house, but got it mitigated and now it's down below 1 pCi/l, and wanted to give it to me as he didn't need it anymore. I turn it on, and after the warm up period, see that it's reading 224 pCi/l (not 2.24) in the main room. I move it to my bedroom (close to his) and it's maxing out at over 500 pCi/l in my bedroom. My apartment lobby reads at around 3.5 pCi/l. I did some research and the radium clocks do emit radon, but not nearly enough to cause that big of a spike in radon levels.

I question him when he gets back from work, and he panics a bit, and tells me that he has around 13.5 millicuries of radium. He shows me the cabinet, and there's a vial of radium paint, a lot of shavings in glass jars, lots and lots of clocks and gauges, what he calls "Soviet radium scales", old US Army radium disks, and other items with radium. It's obvious how the apartment was contaminated, and I worry the radon is leeching into the rest of the apartments. He's been here and had his collection for over a year. Levels this high are basically unheard of and can cause cancer with ease, so I'm worried I might lose my life over this. Obviously this isn't my landlords fault, it's the roommate, so what do I even do here? Does something like this break the lease and get my roommate and all his radium kicked out? Can I sue him if I get lung cancer out of this? What is my next step?

We did it, we found the worst roommate.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

a reminder.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:siren: New rule! :siren:

Jokes or "jokes" accusing any Something Awful poster being a pedophile without evidence are no longer going to be tolerated. Even Reddit doesn't allow that any more. From now on any such "jokes" in GBS will receive "probes" of indeterminate length subject to mod discretion. This includes "jokes" about the mod team being pedos, which has officially been run into the ground at this point. Note that this explicitly includes "mods knew".

Good lord, people, give it a rest.

Having to contend with dealing with pedophilia first hand myself, i am quite sick of the jokes. I think I was what, literally in HS when aatrek happened? I don’t know because I hate loving thinking about the horrendous situation because it is loving upsetting.

Get a grip, or get lost. Take that wack rear end QAnon conspiracy trash and idk, die.

Regards,
TW

Just so you folks know that me and tw are on the same page, this includes spoiler bars, memes, limericks, and whatever the gently caress else some of you will inevitably try. It's depressing and infuriating that "Don't go around accusing people of molesting children for no reason" has be be something explained so explicitly to a group of adults. We don't allow stories of abuse in here, why would we allow baseless accusations of statutory rape?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 1, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

External Organs posted:

"My roommate's irradiating me" is an absolutely new genre of posting that I haven't seen before

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"My roommate's irradiating me" is an absolutely new genre of posting that I haven't seen before

Just sit back and wait for the superpowers, it's too late now

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

External Organs posted:

Ideally you beat the poo poo out of your roommate before destroying all his irradiated clocks???? What in the gently caress

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lovin the avatar Seth

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If I have converted correctly, that 224 pCi/l is equal to 8,288 Bq/m3.

That's INSANE.

Like in Ireland, where we have to test for radon because a lot of the country is made from granite, the reference level is 200 Bq/m3

edit: holy gently caress it's 500 pCi/l in her bedroom, that's 18,500 Bq/m3

Pookah fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 1, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Biplane posted:

Ideally you beat the poo poo out of your roommate before destroying all his irradiated clocks???? What in the gently caress

My fetish is to recreate the Doctor Manhattan comic where he gets his powers.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AITA Radiation from my roommate's hobby has turned me into a mutant and in my three state rampage I accidentally hobby shamed him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

External Organs posted:

r/legaladvice is all like "call the government 'cuz it might be time to condemn the building" lmao

suddenly the time i caused some water damage to the ppl downstairs seems pretty smalltime

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DaysBefore posted:

Lovin the avatar Seth

Thanks! It pairs nicely with :mrwhite:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

This is my comfort radon, how dare you

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just a heads up: We're gonna have a pile of assorted Soviet radium souvenirs pointed at your bedroom for the duration of our cohabitation. I'll be honest, we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

haveblue posted:

But he really wanted that 24 cumulative hours of limousine chauffeuring :(

Is that a 3 Investigators reference?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

External Organs posted:

Oh dear.

Assuming she's been living with the idiot for a year, my back of the envelope estimate is a minimum effective dose of 60 mSv. That's three times the dose limit for radiation workers in the UK.

It could be much more since the radon detector maxed out.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

watch the roommate be on the hook for demolishing and replacing the entire building

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that is a major contamination incident and it'll be a miracle if neither of them get cancer and the house remains intact

Beerdeer posted:

Is that a 3 Investigators reference?

:corsair::hf::corsair:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Jesus, is the roommate David Hahn?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

telling the landlord isn't good enough because landlords are fuckers and could just cover it up

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just a heads up: We're gonna have a pile of assorted Soviet radium souvenirs pointed at your bedroom for the duration of our cohabitation. I'll be honest, we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out.

I read that in his voice, thank you for that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for refusing to apologize for "kicking out" grandpa out of a party?

quote:

My wife and I divorced and I was awarded physical custody of our two sons as well as the son she has outside our marriage.

She is angry about that. Because I have physical custody, I don't consult her on every little thing. Our son, Josh who is 6, had curly hair that needed to be cut so I cut it. When my ex picked him up, she had a fit.

We had a long argument about why I should or shouldn't consult her about cutting his hair. Mind you, I had zero issues when all three came back from her house with red, green and blue hair a couple of months ago.

I thought it was ridiculous and asked her if our son's curls were a proxy for her not having custody and if so, to get over it. I hung up on her. Plus she was yelling while saying she wasn't.

A few weeks later, we had a pool party for our 12yo son's birthday. Both of our families were there.

Her dad asked to speak with me privately. He told me that he thought I was out of line in how I communicated to my ex and I ought to be more kind. My ex lives with him.

I told him that it was none of his business and to tell me three things she can improve on. He said it's not about her, it's about me. I laughed and said he proved my point that he thinks she can't do no wrong and if he didn't like how I spoke to her then get the gently caress out. I paid for the pool.

He did. Now he's spinning the story that I kicked him out and how he feels uncomfortable to come to my sons' sporting events because of me. My ex asked me to apologize as to not make things worse.

I refused to apologize for something I didn't do

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to apologize for "kicking out" grandpa out of a party?

Just read this one and you gotta wonder how big of an rear end in a top hat was the wife since she lost custody of her child to someone who isn't related to them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

watch the roommate be on the hook for demolishing and replacing the entire building

And the clean up and disposal. The best case scenario here is financial ruin for the rest of their life.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Oven of Akhnai is from the Babylonian Talmud which is accepted by both Sephardi and Ashkenazi Jews, and this type of "rules lawyering" (the famous instances I'm familiar with is "selling" significant holds of chametz to gentiles over Passover so it not go to waste, then "buying" it back, and similarly for land over the Shmita year to avoid having it lay waste) is practiced by both main Orthodox streams, not just Ashkenazi Jews.
Do Orthodox farmers in Israel observe the Shmita year?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not adopting two kids

quote:

I'm like 99% sure I'm not the rear end in a top hat, but I do just want to double check.

Recently I took in my nephew. That's a long story, and I promise I'll give an update on that soon.

My family is Greek, and no one believes in birth control, so I have way too many cousins. Greek people gossip. Greeks can't have family secrets, because they talk too much to each other. So of course, everyone in the family knows I removed my nephew from his mother's house. I thought he wasn't in a safe situation, and I decided to step in.

So I got a call from another cousin of mine, asking if her two kids can come stay with me. She says her two teenage sons are running amok, and she thinks it would benefit them to stay with me for a year and enroll in school out here.

I was just kind of on the phone stunned. I just let her keep talking, because I lacked the capacity to have a verbal response. I haven't seen her since Greek Easter pre-covid. I never see her outside of family functions, and at family functions, we really don't talk.

Somewhere in the verbal vomit that was her telling me how I'm going to have her two kids come live with me, I finally stopped her and said I don't have the capacity for it. I didn't want to say room, because I have plenty of space, I just meant more mental capacity. Her kids are 14 and 17, and I didn't sign up to have kids in the first place.

She points out that I took my nephew in, and how that's quite unfair to not help her. I told her that was very different, because he was in an unsafe situation. She's just saying her kids would benefit from living at my house and going to a nicer school, and stuff like that. There was no imminent danger, just she didn't like some of the kids they were hanging out with.

So here's where I may be the rear end in a top hat, I told her it's not my job to adopt your kids. I can't really attest to their family dynamic. I've never had anything more than a 2 minute conversation with either of her kids. She finally said, "please do it, do it for me if not for them." And my response was... "I'm sorry, but I have no vested interest in you."

So being a Greek person myself, I call some cousins. To explain, and ask if there's something going on with her or her kids that I should be aware of. Couple responses I've gotten so far...
  1. YTA for playing favorites. We're all family.

2. YTA for telling her you're not interested in her or her children's lives.

3. NTA. Please don't let her children into your house.
Edit 1

I'm not blaming my Greek culture for anything except the fact that we all gossip and there are so many of us. The kids she said are running amok, aren't. They are being teenagers. Talking back, and not prioritizing their parents anymore. Most teenagers do this. Doesn't make them rebellious.

Edit 2

Got a call from her Mother... She met a man online... She wants to move a different state to be with him... Ugh... I'm assuming he doesn't know she has kids... Now I feel gross for her...

hm, i need to ditch the kids somewhere for a year or two, who takes kids around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Too bad they're too big to fit in that slot at the firehouse.