Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

some plague rats posted:

Oh yeah that definitely only happens to autistic people

Worst time this happened to me, I was hanging with some buddies in college and one of them had a girl with him is never met before, but it seemed like she was maybe visiting from his hometown. So I ask at some point, “so how do you two know each other again?” To which everyone in the room laughed hysterically like I’d made a hilarious joke. When the laughter died down, I repeated myself “seriously, tho, how do you know eachother?”, to which some people laughed for a half second before realizing I was actually serious. “Oh, this is my younger sister.” Then it became clear that everyone thought I, a 21 year old, was making a funny joke by pretending to hit on my buddy’s 17 year old sister by asking how they know each other instead of just being an idiot who didn’t recognize the obvious resemblance lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nottherealaborn posted:

Worst time this happened to me, I was hanging with some buddies in college and one of them had a girl with him is never met before, but it seemed like she was maybe visiting from his hometown. So I ask at some point, “so how do you two know each other again?” To which everyone in the room laughed hysterically like I’d made a hilarious joke. When the laughter died down, I repeated myself “seriously, tho, how do you know eachother?”, to which some people laughed for a half second before realizing I was actually serious. “Oh, this is my younger sister.” Then it became clear that everyone thought I, a 21 year old, was making a funny joke by pretending to hit on my buddy’s 17 year old sister by asking how they know each other instead of just being an idiot who didn’t recognize the obvious resemblance lmao.

Wait, is "so how do you know <person>" hitting on someone? I just use that as an icebreaker

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait, is "so how do you know <person>" hitting on someone? I just use that as an icebreaker

It could be interpretted as asking "are you 2 dating", or, "is this woman available"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Well yeah, like half of Twitter. The other half is ugly.

Wait, so which one am I?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Everyone thought I already knew who she was, so it came across as joking.

Mr. Lobe posted:

It could be interpretted as asking "are you 2 dating", or, "is this woman available"

Also this.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

grittyreboot posted:

Wait, so which one am I?

If you have to ask,

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Edit: oops.

i can still taste him has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Aug 20, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I think it's just that cats are the ultimate con-men in terms of just showing up somewhere and everyone, regardless of species, just says "oh yeah, they should probably be here"

They're right. :colbert:

Content:
https://twitter.com/TooManyG0ats/status/1560511856862564352?s=20&t=p4ubtu1cFvAwI0GjB6BESw

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Loling at the naive people in the comments that are like, “well she did it outside of work so who cares”.

She told someone who has direct hiring/firing power over her to “suck my dick and balls” on Twitter - and the boss man knew exactly who she was.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Frank Frank posted:

Loling at the naive people in the comments that are like, “well she did it outside of work so who cares”.

She told someone who has direct hiring/firing power over her to “suck my dick and balls” on Twitter - and the boss man knew exactly who she was.

I'd bet five bucks that less than half of the people working for NASA know the names of the members of the National Space Council.

The argument might be 'don't tell random strangers on twitter to suck my dick and balls' but that's boomer energy right there :(

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

IIRC the dude tried to make sure she kept the job because he understood she had just been excited and impulsive, but other people at nasa nixed her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not all heroes wear capes
https://twitter.com/fox_sheldon/status/1560626905912487936?t=RBnvVmCL5jZV0QnfRO4kOA&s=19

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In my day that firefighter would've slept with the cop's wife. How did we get here as a nation?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The juxtaposition of the newsreader reading out "Expletive the police" followed by an immediate *siren sound* "Officer down" is interesting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1560728816573612044

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

grittyreboot posted:

In my day that firefighter would've slept with the cop's wife. How did we get here as a nation?

Who's to say he hasn't or isn't working on catching her on the rebound as we speak?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Those were all over the place in Italy, I want to say maybe France as well? Euro goons, I know you all love house music, but come on now.

Lobok posted:

Wasn't sure if the wang would get cropped (ouch)

Well that and on mobile more often than not you click through to the tweet proper to see the image and then go "dang, I could have just seen it here and saved a few seconds". It's a extremely minor annoyance I'll be the first to admit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Party Ape posted:

I'd bet five bucks that less than half of the people working for NASA know the names of the members of the National Space Council.

The argument might be 'don't tell random strangers on twitter to suck my dick and balls' but that's boomer energy right there :(

PetraCore posted:

IIRC the dude tried to make sure she kept the job because he understood she had just been excited and impulsive, but other people at nasa nixed her.
seems it's quite a bit worse of a situation than the supposed one

https://twitter.com/vsxgi_/status/1560655588203171842
https://twitter.com/vsxgi_/status/1560690968936214531

the dude who she replied to had nothing to do with her firing, it was 4chan

literally destroy 4chan and incarcerate both the guy who owns it and anyone still using it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

literally destroy 4chan and incarcerate both the guy who owns it and anyone still using it

In that last screenshot the dude she tweeted as clarifies it was because of the NASA hashtag her friends were using that drew attention to it from the agency? Is there any suggestion that anything 4chan did made a difference beyond anonymous screenshots saying that? 4chan should be scoured from the earth but also if you lose a NASA internship because you went viral for telling a member of the national space council to suck your dick and balls there's probably no great conspiracy, that's just hilarious and you should really take the L

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
nasa sucks and i bet she can do better

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

nasa sucks and i bet she can do better

what's your beef with nasa

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

some plague rats posted:

buncha nerds

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

buncha nerds

haha hell yeah brother

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not sure I believe that though. The FBI are more thorough than local cops. They're not just going to go 'ok, well this is a threat to a federal agency, we should definitely investigate the person who signed the threat and no further'.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
wheres the national athletics / sports agency huh? that's a nasa i'd want to see. but no we just get a bunch of blurry pictures of stuff way too far away to matter, or minivans on mars. give me ten billion dollars and i'll drive my mom's dodge caravan over some desert rocks and take pictures of some string lights out of focus, no one would even know the difference. waste of money. nerds rule the world, it's sad to see

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I feel like the glowing rotating 3D rod of asclepius is going to summon something, and I'm not sure I want to find out what

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Party Ape posted:

He's Homer loving Hickam. I guarantee you they've seen October Sky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scarodactyl posted:

He's Homer loving Hickam. I guarantee you they've seen October Sky.

That's the one with a bunch of gushing about how smart Wernher Von Braun was and don't mention any of his professional credentials pre-1946, right?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/johnsemley3000/status/1560862509556449280?s=21&t=ML7f2KLibbudGpEDsozgng

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Skwirl posted:

That's the one with a bunch of gushing about how smart Wernher Von Braun was and don't mention any of his professional credentials pre-1946, right?
I assume it is authentic to how a highschooler in coal town west virginia would have perceived him in the 50s. That's kind of the point, since he thinks Von Braun is his hero but doesn't even recognize him when he shakes his hand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

I assume it is authentic to how a highschooler in coal town west virginia would have perceived him in the 50s. That's kind of the point, since he thinks Von Braun is his hero but doesn't even recognize him when he shakes his hand.

I just feel like if you're a kid in the 1950s your parents should give you some further context on who Von Braun is, given that they almost certainly lost close friends and/or relatives to WW2. I guess since nothing similar to the Blitz happened on American soil it's easier for us to look past that.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

some plague rats posted:

For real, though, NASA administrator James Webb was a bigot, and NASA refused to rename the telescope when that came to light :(

He was part of the "lavendar scare" purges.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I just feel like if you're a kid in the 1950s your parents should give you some further context on who Von Braun is, given that they almost certainly lost close friends and/or relatives to WW2. I guess since nothing similar to the Blitz happened on American soil it's easier for us to look past that.

In the 50s? Von Braun is helping the great nation of the USA against those dammed communist. He joined the US army in 1945, the guy was an American hero in the 50s and became a US citizen.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Aramoro posted:

In the 50s? Von Braun is helping the great nation of the USA against those dammed communist. He joined the US army in 1945, the guy was an American hero in the 50s and became a US citizen.

Yeah, don't say that he's hypocritical. Say, rather, that he's apolitical. Besides, once rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That wasn't his department

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Invictus posted:

Ugh :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Homer Hickam seems a straight up g/baller :unsmith:

godogg
Dec 29, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, don't say that he's hypocritical. Say, rather, that he's apolitical. Besides, once rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That wasn't his department

Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Scarodactyl posted:

Also in the book he has it pointed out to him that, yes indeed, Von Braun did some hosed up poo poo.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

if 4chan is gonna go after people in highly technical STEM positions for being trans and/or furries, they'll have to go after loving all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't think they'll consider that a problem