Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Intel PR just confirmed

what a time to be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is the craziest news I think I have ever seen. Ever. I sent the link to all my nerd friends and they are all about as twilightzone'd as I am.

[edit] waaaait. Is that how Macs are going to shove a 'Vega' GPU in the iMac Pros?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is hbm likely to find it's way into 8c unlocked chips, and be accessible as cache for the CPU?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
piss tapeamd on intel is real

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Malcolm XML posted:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
In the short term at least I think this will be good for AMD. Right now they're on the verge of becoming mostly irrelevant in the PC gaming space since they're really struggling to compete against nVidia's offerings on pretty much every front (absolute performance, power consumption, and even value which had been their traditional stronghold when their products have otherwise sucked). If Intel kicks in some cash to help AMD improve their graphics drivers and get AMD coders embedded with game development teams on the same level as nVidia this will help them stay in the game. The risk, of course, is that this ends up completely cannibalizing their mobile CPU business (since their traditional selling point for them was "actually decent integrated graphics"), however I think that's more of a long-term concern since right now they don't have much mobile business to begin with.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

[edit] waaaait. Is that how Macs are going to shove a 'Vega' GPU in the iMac Pros?

vega64 and an 18-core skylake-x on one package would probably be classed as an incendiary weapon

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

redeyes posted:

That is the craziest news I think I have ever seen. Ever. I sent the link to all my nerd friends and they are all about as twilightzone'd as I am.

I think they'll use standard graphics cards. Nvidia is what the Mac pro nuts actually want

Meanwhile EMIB is the future of SoCs as they hit the scaling limits. If AMD gets this for nexgen GPUs it has a big leap over Nvidia

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Wow. I feel drat good about my snap decision to buy 250 AMD shares last week.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

Bought 1k shares last year. It is my new computer fund.

I think the big take away from the dealership is that Intel views Nvidia as a rival, not AMD.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is hbm likely to find it's way into 8c unlocked chips, and be accessible as cache for the CPU?

It's probably too (physically) big and slow to be any use as real cache. Real cache is still orders of magnitude faster, but it might be used as in intermediate buffer between cache and memory.

Thread moves fast. 4 6 7 more posts since I wrote this.

Eletriarnation posted:

Me too, went from 10.80 to 12 this morning. Very nice return for a week. I can't even really recommend AMD to anyone as hardware, I was just guessing 11 seemed undervalued.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Mr.Radar posted:

So, uh, the Wall Street Journal is reporting (non-paywalled copy on /r/amd) that Intel will be releasing CPUs with AMD-derived integrated graphics, confirming rumors that have been circulating for the past year or so. Apparently they will be targeting the "gaming laptop" market with higher performance than the current Ryzen Mobile chips (which have 8-10 Vega CUs).
So these will be 15-20 Vega units with a Coffee Lake equivalent of a 7800 series mobile chip (4c/8T)? If they can fit that in 45-55W TDP they're not competing with Ryzen Mobile in the ultrathin space, they're creating a space above that for a gaming laptop without a discrete GPU. If they ever get Thunderbolt docking working as well as nVidia, they'll have a great competitor product. As it stands, if they just paired this with 1080p FreeSync monitors they could make a killing.

Take home message - lots of ifs here.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

craig588 posted:

That looks like crap, like the prototype of something you'd homebrew to experiment with before you came up with a final revision that went into production.

Well there are other high tech methods out there:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's better because you're not paying nearly 20 dollars for it. If it was like less than 10 dollars I could see it as more reasonable. Like those cheap CPU delidders, Der8aurs looks great, but 50 dollars is a big ask, while 10 dollars for a 3d printed one that doesn't look good is a lot more enticing.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 6, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

(((( WTF INTENSIFIES ))))

Someone please check for the sky falling

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Someone please check for the sky falling

Confirmed. Up is Down, Down is Up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
AMD had been confirmed or at least rumoured to be iGPU on Intel, so what about the announcement is the big shock?

I don't understand anything about CPUs and GPUs, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around what's going on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The rumor came from a guy who hasn’t had a great deal of stock when it comes to breaking big rumors, so everyone doubted it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Craptacular! posted:

The rumor came from a guy who hasn’t had a great deal of stock when it comes to breaking big rumors, so everyone doubted it.

That and the details of using HBM2 makes this far more interesting, and it has the potential to remove the biggest bottleneck to IGP's - well that, and it's not really 'integrated' to boot, more 'on package'. We have no idea about performance of course, but the way it's architected has the capability to massively outpace the performance of more traditional IGP's.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 6, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I didn't realize EMIB has a lower profile than an interposer. I wonder if it would alleviate those weird package height differentials we see with Vega 56/64.

Info from this:

https://youtu.be/gaHs_guCp2o

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'd also think that if these are HBM2 enabled then this is another way to push production of HBM2 in volume and drive costs down.

NewFatMike posted:

I didn't realize EMIB has a lower profile than an interposer. I wonder if it would alleviate those weird package height differentials we see with Vega 56/64.

Info from this:

https://youtu.be/gaHs_guCp2o

Yea was going to come post this, EMIB seems extremely advantageous for what AMD wants to do. If one of the biggest hurdles for Vega has been the interposer then this comes close to fixing a lot of it. Ryzen would also probably benefit as well, probably reducing latency between dies tremendously, which is EPYC/TRs real big stumbling block.

ZobarStyl posted:

So these will be 15-20 Vega units with a Coffee Lake equivalent of a 7800 series mobile chip (4c/8T)? If they can fit that in 45-55W TDP they're not competing with Ryzen Mobile in the ultrathin space, they're creating a space above that for a gaming laptop without a discrete GPU. If they ever get Thunderbolt docking working as well as nVidia, they'll have a great competitor product. As it stands, if they just paired this with 1080p FreeSync monitors they could make a killing.

Take home message - lots of ifs here.

If 20 Vega compute units can fit inside a 55W thermal envelope w/8C CFL @ 1100-1300Mhz like Vega in Raven can then there is something seriously wrong with Vega 56/64.

Also, from earlier this year.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

craig588 posted:

Me too, went from 10.80 to 12 this morning. Very nice return for a week. I can't even really recommend AMD to anyone as hardware, I was just guessing 11 seemed undervalued.

The market doesn't seem to know wtf to make of AMD, though. They just dropped ~15% the other week after releasing earnings report showing 300%+ increase in revenue and a return to profitability, and beating the consensus EPS by a solid margin. "Best quarter in years and way better than expectations? SELL SELL SELL!"

I mean, AMD stock hasn't done terribly, but NVidia's stock has been smashing it for the last year+, and will probably continue to do so, if you're looking to make a GPU-stock play.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....what is this bizarre loving world that I have woken up to?

Is there anything that says what AMD is getting out of this? Don't say exposure, people die of exposure.

AMD better be getting access to some of that EMIB goodness for use in their own products.

And finally, Intel gets to claim they're making good on having Freesync in their products.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Am I cynical in thinking this is just part of the way Intel is avoiding anti-trust? Just subtly propping AMD up in an arena they don't compete in.

Like best case scenario for Intel is that AMD continues to limp along and never really challenge right? If they go tits up, Intel has to make the argument that ARM and Nvidia are their competitors and ehhhhh

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrDork posted:

The market doesn't seem to know wtf to make of AMD, though. They just dropped ~15% the other week after releasing earnings report showing 300%+ increase in revenue and a return to profitability, and beating the consensus EPS by a solid margin. "Best quarter in years and way better than expectations? SELL SELL SELL!"

I mean, AMD stock hasn't done terribly, but NVidia's stock has been smashing it for the last year+, and will probably continue to do so, if you're looking to make a GPU-stock play.

I made a post about Nvidia a couple years ago, they've gone up like 8X since I bought them. What tripped me for buying AMD last week was that investor news thing saying "sell sell sell" the same week I was thinking AMD was on track to turn around, I thought they might have been worth the risk at 14, but it became clear when they were 11. I normally keep everything with Vanguard because I don't know anything about real stock trading, but if I think the market perception is completely wrong and than I take money out to place bets.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
AMD gains that tasty ultrabook market share, market share translates to improved standing in all other arenas (including liquid assets), culminating in increased potential for process and R&D improvements and better products.

Don't hold your breath, of course, but it might lead to us getting something in the next few years that isn't just the microwaved refried beans and extra-shelf-life vienna sausage that AMD has been giving us unabashedly for the last half a loving decade.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malcolm XML posted:

Kyle Bennett was right :negative:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Have they given any hints as to the interconnect they're using? Is it just an on-package PCIe connection or something more elaborate?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Is this it? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/foundry/emib.html

Feeling p smug about AMD right now. It would be fantastic if these made their way into MacBooks with adaptive refresh

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

If 20 Vega compute units can fit inside a 55W thermal envelope w/8C CFL @ 1100-1300Mhz like Vega in Raven can then there is something seriously wrong with Vega 56/64.
Considering pretty much every 14nm AMD chip, it's probably that they're above the ideal power/performance curve and 14nm GF is well known for having insane power climb after a certain voltage compared to 16nm TSMC being significantly more graceful. 8 Zen cores can scale down to 35w at 3ghz, and you can undervolt a 570 to use only 75w.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

Have they given any hints as to the interconnect they're using? Is it just an on-package PCIe connection or something more elaborate?

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Feeling p smug about AMD right now. It would be fantastic if these made their way into MacBooks with adaptive refresh

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Kicking myself for not picking up some nVidia stock when it was low. x10 would have been nice. Ah well! That's the stock market. I suppose I should remain content with the gains I've made from Activision and Apple.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how all of us are coming out owning AMD stock and none of us recommend AMD hardware.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I meant which kind of bus do the CPU and GPU dies use to communicate, not how are they physically glued together.

PCIe would be fine but I'm wondering if they took it a step further and unified the memory spaces.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Kazinsal posted:

AMD gains that tasty ultrabook market share, market share translates to improved standing in all other arenas (including liquid assets), culminating in increased potential for process and R&D improvements and better products.

Don't hold your breath, of course, but it might lead to us getting something in the next few years that isn't just the microwaved refried beans and extra-shelf-life vienna sausage that AMD has been giving us unabashedly for the last half a loving decade.

Ryzen Mobile/Raven Ridge is for ultrabooks though, I thought - the TDP of this package is more like 15" MBP/"portable workstation" territory.

craig588 posted:

I like how all of us are coming out owning AMD stock and none of us recommend AMD hardware.

I absolutely recommend AMD CPUs and hope that I can do so even more avidly when Pinnacle Ridge hits. The GPUs are unrecommendable right now because either they're unavailable (Polaris) or obviously suffering from teething/pricing issues (Vega).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

Especially because Ultrabook is an Intel trademark, it might have been a stumbling block there.

For what they get out of it:

Increased HBM demand will probably get Hynix in gear for the speed AMD wants/needs.

Could put Nvidia at a technical disadvantage? They only published a white paper on MCM strategies earlier this year - Intel have the EMIB working and AMD have had consumer interposer tech for years now.

Bigger push for Freesync 2 monitors? It'll make Chipzilla and AMD look good, and Intel has the market share to appeal to that from panel OEMs.

I know we said "not exposure", but all of a sudden Apple iMac Pros and high end laptops have Radeon graphics - exposure isn't worth much, but being on "the best" products probably is (especially when for years you've only been on bargain basement laptops).

Consoles are pretty low margin for AMD - if suddenly there are a lot of laptops that can deliver a better experience than consoles, that's a really big deal. AMD will likely get better margins, and a lot of folks might just think to spend a little extra on a nice laptop that'll plug into the TV for games.

With Coffee Lake chips out, Ryzen mobile may have a tougher time competing for high end notebooks - I'm willing to side grade from a Broadwell i7 & 970M laptop to an RR laptop for similar graphics and updated port selection, but not a lot of people are.

Could weaken mobile Nvidia sales from the MX150-1050Ti?

Semicustom, the division that kept AMD floating for years, sales were down recently. If sales keep up on Ryzen (a big if), they're still good on cash and hedges against Coffee Lake sales siphoning off desktop sales.

It's a good move, and there are tons of reasons for doing it. I'm excited.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

And then people wonder why the AMD stock is such a rollercoaster...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

craig588 posted:

Intel seems to have made a pretty big mess of the supply situation for Coffee Lake, or: We can Cores too!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

Especially because Ultrabook is an Intel trademark, it might have been a stumbling block there.

Just call it Turbook or something :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

craig588 posted:

I recommend AMD hardcore.

Still real happy with my Vega 64 :unsmith: