Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The French word for potato literally translates to apple of the earth though....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

S-61
King Air 250
AT-802
RJ-85
2 dozers
A dozen or so fire vehicles (including an M715!)
A couple dozen people.

Makes me proud to be a taxpayer (and to buy $50 pies at VFD pie auctions)

Glad the barrel didn't get singed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Piasecki one or the competitor that spun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfX9wAiMm4

Even before they pointed out where the pilot was sitting that was the most wtf thing I've seen lately

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

The French word for potato literally translates to apple of the earth though....
More like ground apple but yeah.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Glad the barrel didn't get singed.

Thanks to good men.

Goats and fires work better than lamps.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You gotta keep 'em separated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like the one wasn't placed in a parking spot and the other one thought it could fit into its correct one?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Finger Prince posted:

Plus a dunk in water that cold, the body takes an involuntary gasp of air as reflex, except theres no air, just water, so you drown.

always a pleasant thought...even though in reality you probably won't even know what hit you as your CNS goes DEFCON and then you're unconscious and then dead.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Mortabis posted:

For simple energy density reasons I can't see multirotors taking over the bread and butter of civilian helicopter operations like moving people back and forth from oil rigs.

People are continually forgetting about flywheels. They've got huge energy density, and advances in stronger materials will keep improving it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Zemyla posted:

People are continually forgetting about flywheels. They've got huge energy density, and advances in stronger materials will keep improving it.

Something makes me uneasy about flying around in the world's largest beyblade.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mortabis posted:

Beyblade Forums > Discussion > Beyblade Mods (Illegal)> [FAA CERTIFIED][PATENT PENDING] ILLEGAL BEYBLADE MOD: HELICOPTER

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Mariana Horchata posted:

always a pleasant thought...even though in reality you probably won't even know what hit you as your CNS goes DEFCON and then you're unconscious and then dead.

I've rolled a kayak in 34F water, you can prevent the inhalation of water if you know it's coming. Untrained, unprepared people, however, are turbofucked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

I've rolled a kayak in 34F water, you can prevent the inhalation of water if you know it's coming. Untrained, unprepared people, however, are turbofucked.

I take an unintentional deep breath when my balls touch 70° pool water. gently caress a 34° New York river.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Just pretend it’s a 19th century torpedo, but in the air: https://maritime.org/doc/jolie/part1.htm

quote:

The first successful U.S. torpedo development began in 1870 and was completed in 1889. Largely the work of LCDR J. A. Howell (later Rear Admiral, U.S.N.) the Howell Torpedo was driven by a 132-pound flywheel spun to 10,000 revolutions per minute prior to launch by a steam turbine mounted on the torpedo tube.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I know it'll never happen, but imagine the hilarity you could get up to in a full 4-engine conversion to those engines. Jumbo jet pulling aerobatic stunts you usually only see from the Thunderbirds; slow vertical loops, high-alpha passes, etc.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Enourmo posted:

I know it'll never happen, but imagine the hilarity you could get up to in a full 4-engine conversion to those engines. Jumbo jet pulling aerobatic stunts you usually only see from the Thunderbirds; slow vertical loops, high-alpha passes, etc.

In test config, the P:W ratio is already better than a combat-loaded F-14. Assuming you convert the oil, fuel, hydraulic, and ESPECIALLY lavatory systems to negative-G, you could accelerate straight up in that 747.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Colonial Air Force posted:

And the English word pineapple... made sense in a way at the time.

Enourmo posted:

An airshow-light jetliner (no pax, an hour's worth of fuel) already has the thrust:weight of an F-4 that hasn't shot its missiles yet. See Airbus marketing videos. A jet like the 747-8 made to carry a half-million pounds of cargo halfway around the world fuckin' scoots when it's only got two pilots and enough fuel to do a go-around to where it took off from.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In test config, the P:W ratio is already better than a combat-loaded F-14. Assuming you convert the oil, fuel, hydraulic, and ESPECIALLY lavatory systems to negative-G, you could accelerate straight up in that 747.

Doing some back-of-the-napkin math:

A 747-400F, empty, with GE engines, weighs 360,900lbs.
CF6-80C2 engines, which normally power this type, are rated at 63,000~ pounds of thrust each. All four together make 252,000lbs of thrust, which is not enough to accelerate vertically, even with zero fuel. You'd peak at about .7 TWR and then your engines would flame out.

If you change the engines to GE90-115b (which power the 777-300ER and 777 freighter, and are more powerful than the GE9X engines being tested,) the math changes.

Engine weight increases from 9,860lbs/engine to 18,261lbs/engine, increasing the total empty weight by a total of 33,064lbs to 393,964lbs (and you'd need to do a bit of structural beefing up which I'm going to ignore for the purposes of this exercise). However, thrust also approximately doubles to 460,000lbs of thrust. Therefore, for a T/W ratio of 1 (a hover), you could load up 66036 pounds of fuel, which is approximately 1/5th of maximum. It's doable.

Doing this exercise with only one engine converted gives you about 304,000lbs thrust against about 370,000lbs of (empty) weight, so you couldn't accelerate vertically even with zero fuel. Also you have to consider the strong yaw moment of firewalling your engines, with one of them being twice as powerful as the other three, in a vertical climb. If the airspeed dips below Vmcg, even for a second, goodbye.

Tl;dr- Seems dangerous.

yes, I know that's not a true 747F because of the stretched upper deck, it's a BCF or BDSF, the freighter just has the lowest empty weight :spergin:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ok but now do the A340-200

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

shame on an IGA posted:

Ok but now do the A340-200

4x GE90-115b would be able to make it hover at about 50% fuel. I didn't put very much effort into this estimate.

however, if we're doing small quad jets...

Two GE90-115b engines would give it a TWR north of two, at MTOW. The diameter of each fan would be approximately the same as the interior diameter of the cabin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a patagonian cavy posted:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

yes, I know that's not a true 747F because of the stretched upper deck, it's a BCF or BDSF, the freighter just has the lowest empty weight :spergin:
You forgot about the 747SP. 325,260 lbs according to wiki.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

ugh

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sincx posted:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/us-buys-afghanistan-hellfire-armed-cessnas-to-fight-taliban/

This "Cessna Caravan with missiles" is now officially my favorite aircraft.

This is drat cool and buying 7 missile and rocket capable planes that will probably still need some engineering work for $85M seems like a drat good deal. Thats about the cost of a Reaper which is produced in decent numbers already.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Someone should photoshop a conversion of the IL-62 or VC-10. The little wheel that comes out at the tail will need to be beefed up, I think...

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I love this so much

quote:

Number built: 1

:(

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 17, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That looks like a cut-down B-58 Hustler with a conventional wing

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's exactly what I was thinking

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was thinking about how cool a Mi 24 would look if you removed the fuselage ventrally of the wing roots and put it into a sort of high end dildo shape, maybe with Ju 87 style fixed gear, and found this neat cutaway:

Entry-Level helicopter question: the fuel tanks are the stuff numbered 101 and 102, at the wing root, right?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What is #81? APU?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

4x GE90-115b would be able to make it hover at about 50% fuel. I didn't put very much effort into this estimate.

Two GE90-115b engines would give it a TWR north of two, at MTOW. The diameter of each fan would be approximately the same as the interior diameter of the cabin.

Ooh ooh! B-52 next!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

Someone should photoshop a conversion of the IL-62 or VC-10. The little wheel that comes out at the tail will need to be beefed up, I think...

I used the GenX because the perspective match on the source image was better (it was also easier to roughly match scale, given that the GenX is about twice the diameter of the Soloviev D-30)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 17, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Finger Prince posted:

I used the GenX because the perspective match on the source image was better (it was also easier to roughly match scale, given that the GenX is about twice the diameter of the Soloviev D-30)

That's two engines, not four :colbert:

Also :pwn:

Cross-posting:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its like someone wanted a B-58 Hustler but for civilian use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

That looks like a cut-down B-58 Hustler with a conventional wing

It’s the McDonnell 119.

It lost to C-140.

Only the prototype was built.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Speaking of B-58s, I watched this video a couple days ago of one making an emergency landing, and I realized it was the first time I've ever seen one without the giant bomb and fuel pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwMB2vaY8MA

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

It’s the McDonnell 119.

It lost to C-140.

Only the prototype was built.

Still baking in the sun out in El Paso.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7947675,-106.3866252,49m/data=!3m1!1e3

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's two engines, not four :colbert:

Also :pwn:

Cross-posting:

Yeah I realized after that I should have done some on the other side too, but I'd already discarded the clips and flattened the image and closed ps, and wasn't about to do it all again.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

It's pretty sexy, and apparently under contract to be moved to someone's private collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I knew I'd seen that thing somewhere! Used to drive by that area regularly and remember seeing some weird stuff parked out there.