Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Got invaded by a scrub in the Dragon Sanctum that ran back and let the enemies do the fighting, then he runs up to where I died and did the finger wag, as if he earned the kill :laffo:

To be fair there's not all that much difference in the end result of me nailing someone with a soul spear while they're fighting something else and me winning properly. It looks like he succeeded in annoying you with the gesture too so mission 100% success. If you get someone like that you can always pop a seed and suddenly they're stuck in the middle of the trap they set for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does this or the console thread get the most traffic? Getting ready for a (maybe final) run before DS3 comes out so I can finally polish off the DLC. I've never beaten SotFS either.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Got invaded by a scrub in the Dragon Sanctum that ran back and let the enemies do the fighting, then he runs up to where I died and did the finger wag, as if he earned the kill :laffo:

Well, you died and he didn't, so that's a win. Invasions are not "fair" and the invader should use any tools he has to kill you. That's :darksouls:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

Well, you died and he didn't, so that's a win. Invasions are not "fair" and the invader should use any tools he has to kill you. That's :darksouls:

I know, I just think its funny that he was excited for my death

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm excited every time the person I'm invading dies to the environment. It's free souls.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I would be too if I killed my mark just by me showing up and tilting him to death. It's free real estate souls.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Some guy invaded me in Dragon Shrine while I was busy dying like an idiot to that greathammer using guy who never seemed to run out of stamina. He just stood back, let me get my poo poo kicked in and just fired off a few shots on his bow giving me a wave goodbye when I died. I'd have done the same, cool guy. Also what the gently caress, has that ladder leading from the start of Dragon Aerie directly to the end of it always been there? I used to get lost for ages in that loving place.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, it's always been there. Pre-SOTFS you used to have to ride a couple zip lines to the top and kick it down, though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

At least half of my invasions in Dragon Aerie I end up not being able to reach the host because they blocked the zipline with a hollow and blocked the bridge to the bonfire with a statue.

I miss invading there because you could kick the ladder down for the host and then go murder him.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

A Magical Lamp posted:

Some guy invaded me in Dragon Shrine while I was busy dying like an idiot to that greathammer using guy who never seemed to run out of stamina. He just stood back, let me get my poo poo kicked in and just fired off a few shots on his bow giving me a wave goodbye when I died. I'd have done the same, cool guy. Also what the gently caress, has that ladder leading from the start of Dragon Aerie directly to the end of it always been there? I used to get lost for ages in that loving place.

Jerks like those are why I've almost always got poison arrows on R2. Tons of meaty peons in this game die to it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I did something like that the one time I managed to invade someone as a belfry man. Waved to the guy and just followed him around, gesturing encouragement and staying back as he tried to fight the phantom enemies. When he got himself good and cornered by the great sword phantom and 3 midgets I gave him a killing poke with my spear because I've still got a job to do man, sorry. (+shrug emote)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I did something like that the one time I managed to invade someone as a belfry man. Waved to the guy and just followed him around, gesturing encouragement and staying back as he tried to fight the phantom enemies. When he got himself good and cornered by the great sword phantom and 3 midgets I gave him a killing poke with my spear because I've still got a job to do man, sorry. (+shrug emote)

I used to do this after accumulating like 99 titanite chunks. I started trying to actively help people ring the bell and reach the boss door, and generally encouraging them toward success.

I would still end up positive for bellfry invasions despite this.

A couple of people caught on to what I was doing and used a seed of tree of giants and I got to kill the bellfry gnomes for them. We did a little dance together, and waved before they passed through the fog door. That was of course promptly followed by the roar of gargoyles and the clashing of stone against metal, followed by the fade to black.

Good luck little buddies. I hope you achieve your dreams!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I'm running through this game for the first time (SOTFS) while also kinda planning ahead for blue flame buid for PVP. Should I just use poo poo weapons until I get that, or is there something worth upgrading? I haven't explored weapon upgrading yet.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Find a weapon with a moveset that clicks with you, and upgrade that. There are loads of upgrade materials around so don't worry about that. Some weapons are a little better or worse than others but pretty much all of the entry-level weapons that Lenigrast sells are surprisingly strong and versatile.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh gently caress, I completely forgot about the Puzzling Stone Sword. This..i'm gonna respec in a moment..

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Google Butt posted:

So I'm running through this game for the first time (SOTFS) while also kinda planning ahead for blue flame buid for PVP. Should I just use poo poo weapons until I get that, or is there something worth upgrading? I haven't explored weapon upgrading yet.

Int builds lack good weapons available early. There's a magic infused mace you can pick up in an area near firelink. Otherwise, just use whatever you like that doesn't have high str/dex requirements. Or use anything at all and respec once you get blue flame, because that won't be for a long time. As you were already told, Lenigrast sells some of the best weapons in the game right in Majula. The longsword, estoc, mace and rapier are all as good or better than anything you'll find adventuring (there is another sword that does the same thing as the rapier, but is strictly better, however you don't get it until just before the final boss). The spear would be as well, but there's a direct upgrade with the same moveset available not terribly far into the game. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it and upgrade it until you get to that point, however. The spear's moveset is, in my opinion, by far the best in the game.

Absolutely upgrade your weapons ASAP. It's the single most important way in which you can get more powerful. Per amount of souls invested, it makes a much, much bigger difference to upgrade your weapons than to raise your damage stats. You will hit a wall if you don't upgrade your weapons.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Thanks for the advice dudes, I've been using the fire long sword at the the moment, but I'll see what's for sale.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Google Butt posted:

Thanks for the advice dudes, I've been using the fire long sword at the the moment, but I'll see what's for sale.

Fire Longsword is a solid choice though, you could dump titanite into that and be just fine. It has a really diverse moveset between the one-hand and two-hand forms, and it's decently strong.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Need some weapon advice. I've been going through the game with my trusty craftsman's hammer and I love how it consistently staggers enemies (and its damage is nothing to sneeze at either) but its relative lack of range consistently trips me up, especially in pvp. Also its moveset is not doing me any favors in cramped areas. Above all else though, I'm getting a bit tired of the same old same old.

In short, I'm looking for a change for a new character. I tried the great club but I seem to miss with it despite lock-on and I'm not a fan of its moveset.

I haven't decided on str or dex so that gives a lot of options... However I tend to lots of rolling around so it can't be too heavy on the stamina consumption/attack animation timing.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 28, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I like the craft hammer and I like the claymore. Powerstanced is pretty sweet. Zweihander is pretty cool too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Estoc has a long range and a high stagger rate, although it gets a bit dull with how most of its power is in plain ol' stabbing thrusts. If you haven't, give the Longsword with the Stone Ring a try. I've played this game way too goddamn much, but I almost always end up going back to the Longsword because of its raw versatility. Especially in PVP, it's easy to fake people out with the different swing timings you can do, and the running attack is killer for hitting dodge rollers.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, my Stone Ring is grafted onto my body and almost never leaves me unless I'm fighting a boss where breaking poise doesn't seem effective

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
So I just realized magic damage no longer scales with faith as there is no divine enchantment. If I invest in faith (haven't touched it so far, started with 12) the wiki says it boosts lightning, fire, and dark attacks. Which is more usable throughout the game? And which is the earliest available? I just reached the Lost Bastille.

I'm planning on getting my strength and dexterity up (40/40 seems common) so is it even worth dumping into faith beyond spell/item requirements?

On a side note I no longer hate this game and am making steady progress. Getting agility up (95!) made a huge difference.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Increasing agility really is like flipping a "this game isn't trash" switch.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you've already got elemental damage on a weapon then by all means go to town with that thing. While buff damage no longer scales directly with your stats, it does scale with the elemental damage already on the weapon, which in turn scales with your stats. That said, if you're flinging magic directly lightning isn't great. It was really good on release, but both the damage and casts-per-slot were heavily nerfed in response to the needs of PvP. (As a former frost mage in WoW, balancing effects for both PvE and PvP has always sounded like a fool's errand. :nallears:) Fire magic is (so I've heard) decently useful without significant stat investment, though the range on many of the effects can be pretty short. And dark magic generally just consists of flinging Dark Orb all the time, which is good because Dark Orb is all-around amazing for something you can get so early. (The damage isn't nearly as good as good as the heavy hitters for other elements, but each cast is relatively quick and you get a lot of them.)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NGDBSS posted:

That said, if you're flinging magic directly lightning isn't great. It was really good on release, but both the damage and casts-per-slot were heavily nerfed in response to the needs of PvP.

I don't recall lightning spear being a major PvP factor, it's always been hard to actually hit human players due to the obvious wind-up. They probably just realized that faith had both the best overall offensive spells and the best buffs, along with a lot of enemies being weak to its element, so it completely overshadowed the other schools for PvE. Co-oping bosses mostly consisted of three faith builds circling the edge of the arena while re-creating the "Gwyn's army kills the dragons" scene from the DS1 opening.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Fire Longsword is a solid choice though, you could dump titanite into that and be just fine. It has a really diverse moveset between the one-hand and two-hand forms, and it's decently strong.

I ended up going with a estoc and getting it to +4. Honestly I think I preferred the fire long sword move set, oh well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Don't forget that the estoc does have a slash attack as well, so it's got a little more utility than the rapier. Thrust damage is extremely strong against many enemies and the estoc has decent reach for a sword. It's not a bad idea to keep the fire longsword as a backup because the estoc likes to break a lot.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Don't forget that the estoc does have a slash attack as well, so it's got a little more utility than the rapier. Thrust damage is extremely strong against many enemies and the estoc has decent reach for a sword. It's not a bad idea to keep the fire longsword as a backup because the estoc likes to break a lot.

Good call. I do like how I can poke them and use it to create some distance, really handy when you get swarmed and need to reevaluate

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I don't recall lightning spear being a major PvP factor, it's always been hard to actually hit human players due to the obvious wind-up. They probably just realized that faith had both the best overall offensive spells and the best buffs, along with a lot of enemies being weak to its element, so it completely overshadowed the other schools for PvE. Co-oping bosses mostly consisted of three faith builds circling the edge of the arena while re-creating the "Gwyn's army kills the dragons" scene from the DS1 opening.
Really? Perhaps I'm just confusing the excessive nerf to lightning magic (damage or casts would likely have been fine, given the current ubiquity of Dark Orb, but not both) with all the other stuff that actually was altered based on PvP feedback. As I recall, stacking certain buffs and resistances was a major issue. (And of course not everything was actually nerfed as intended; it took several patches for From to correctly keep the Monastery Scimitar from being an unstoppable parrying tool.)

As for the past power of lightning magic, as I recall it wasn't so much about lightning in the early days as it was generally about magic. Folks would show up to be summoned (or farm the Giant Lord for his souls and Twinking Titanite) with Unleash Magic, Soul Geyser, and a bunch of herbs to replenish slots. And you'd also hear tell of being able to one-shot opposing players with stuff like Climax and the other Resonant spells from the dark list. Even boss weaknesses didn't really so much, because unless they were really big they wouldn't do much relative to the minimum 15% for boss resistances. Hell, Nashandra is supposed to be decently resistant to dark and yet she still will take a lot of damage from a dark-infused Crypt Blacksword (for which ~2/3 of the damage is dark rather than physical). Back then the situation was simply that you could go to town with your element of choice and generally steamroll things in PvE. You might face a few roadblocks (mostly from the Lion Warriors), but unless you were doing something obviously nuts like slinging fire at the Old Iron King you could most likely still power through. Nowadays? Not so much.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

DONT DO IT posted:

So I just realized magic damage no longer scales with faith as there is no divine enchantment. If I invest in faith (haven't touched it so far, started with 12) the wiki says it boosts lightning, fire, and dark attacks. Which is more usable throughout the game? And which is the earliest available? I just reached the Lost Bastille.

I'm planning on getting my strength and dexterity up (40/40 seems common) so is it even worth dumping into faith beyond spell/item requirements?

On a side note I no longer hate this game and am making steady progress. Getting agility up (95!) made a huge difference.

My recommendation would be to focus on two stats at most for damage. Strength, dex and faith are going to be strong much later on but once you take into account vitality, attunement slots, 100/105 agility and vigor you're looking at a SL well into the 200s. I'd drop either dex or faith, probably faith. Fire can be used with no stat investment so if you have the levels in attunement use that for now, the fire bonus is nice to have but by no means needed. You can pick up pyromancy as soon as you have a fragrant branch of yore (you get one soon), if you explore around the outskirts of Majula a little you'll find something you can use it on. Dark is also completely useless to you - dark scaling works on whatever's the lowest out of your faith and your int so you need to level them equally which is just a huge wasted investment unless you want to go full on spellcaster.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A few weeks ago I accidentally chose a new game and it auto-saved that in a slot before I quit out. Earlier today for maybe the second time I accidentally loaded it, but this time I said "gently caress it" and ran to the old bitches and rolled a sorcerer with a petrified thing. Got the phantom ring out of it :jerkbag:

So how does a pure caster work in this game? I've got 62 uses of weak magic missile, like 3hp remaining with the ring-of-give-me-my-loving-HP-back-jerk, and the cute little starting dagger since I have base STR of 3. I'm trying to crank my agi up to 105 ASAP between attunement (something low) and adaptability (18, probably leaving it there) which makes my little blue balls even sadder. The start of the game is looking to be even more frustrating over melee until I get a real roll since I have to stand still to cast in a game where enemies often have a dive/lunge strike and I'm not having a lot of faith in auto-aim while lock-on has its own issues.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Andrigaar posted:

So how does a pure caster work in this game? I've got 62 uses of weak magic missile, like 3hp remaining with the ring-of-give-me-my-loving-HP-back-jerk, and the cute little starting dagger since I have base STR of 3. I'm trying to crank my agi up to 105 ASAP between attunement (something low) and adaptability (18, probably leaving it there) which makes my little blue balls even sadder. The start of the game is looking to be even more frustrating over melee until I get a real roll since I have to stand still to cast in a game where enemies often have a dive/lunge strike and I'm not having a lot of faith in auto-aim while lock-on has its own issues.
90 AGI should be more than sufficient for the point you're at. Just boost your stats to at least have the minimum for a real weapon, raise your HP, and then start worrying about leveling INT.

Also if you are trying to be a caster I don't think leaving your attunement low is going to work out well.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Andrigaar posted:

A few weeks ago I accidentally chose a new game and it auto-saved that in a slot before I quit out. Earlier today for maybe the second time I accidentally loaded it, but this time I said "gently caress it" and ran to the old bitches and rolled a sorcerer with a petrified thing. Got the phantom ring out of it :jerkbag:

Don't go for 105 adaptability right away. 95 is perfectly serviceable for most of the game, and you don't even need that in the beginning. Especially as a sorcerer, positioning is more important than dodging, so stay at low equip weight and use your roll to keep out of reach. Don't just cast spells willy-nilly, this game's combat is extremely reactive; always let your enemies set the pace. You have to time your casts just like a melee character has to time his attacks, even if it's much easier for a caster.

I probably don't need to mention this, but don't forget to upgrade your catalyst!

If you want to feel stronger, ditch your wimpy little blue balls and start juggling big, meaty dark orbs. It's not hard to get dark orb, dark weapon and a dark sunset staff pretty early into the game. Dark orb is seriously overpowered and you can use it to clear most of the game. Dark weapon is the strongest weapon buff, and there are some really good hex polearms that don't require high physical stats and are available fairly early. The roaring halberd is fast and hits like a bag of trucks and the silverblack spear has the ridiculously good spear moveset. Int doesn't get really good until later in the game when you've got a couple soul spears and great heavy soul arrows along with the nice end-game int weapons. Hexing is good pretty much as soon as you can clear Heide's (right away, for a cleric) and access it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Picked up where I left off in Scholar of the First Sin in Lost Bastille via the Eagle.

Are all these Pursuer ambushes new to this version? Cause after the third time of appearing he's more annoying then threatening.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

So how does a pure caster work in this game? I've got 62 uses of weak magic missile, like 3hp remaining with the ring-of-give-me-my-loving-HP-back-jerk, and the cute little starting dagger since I have base STR of 3. I'm trying to crank my agi up to 105 ASAP between attunement (something low) and adaptability (18, probably leaving it there) which makes my little blue balls even sadder. The start of the game is looking to be even more frustrating over melee until I get a real roll since I have to stand still to cast in a game where enemies often have a diving lunge strike and I'm not having a lot of faith in auto-aim while lock-on has its own issues.

You don't need more than 92 agility, that's the highest I go on any character.

Grab the shortsword in FoFG, kill Last Giant, put Souls into INT and Faith. Run through Dragonrider, do the same. Meet Felkin, buy Archdrake Chime, Archdrake wand thing, dark orb, and resonant soul. Proceed to cheese the early game (which sucks for sorcery) and respec to pure INT later once you get more spells. Don't forget Soul Spear is just a skip and a hop away in the Copse. Magic Weapon/Aromatic Ooze shortsword has a surprisingly high DPS due to its fast attack speed and negligible stamina drain.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

You don't need more than 92 agility

I don't think there's a soul in this thread that would agree with this claim.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
100+ or bust

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also don't knock the Dagger. Kill the ogre off to the side of the area before character creation (don't do it right as you start the game obviously) for the Stone Ring, then equip that and two-hand the dagger, it will stunlock the crap out of many lesser enemies. The backstab and the riposte are also very powerful, though PvE parrying is a shitshow in this game for all but a small number of enemies so riposting is a really situational thing. Like, most enemies have two attacks that have an almost identical windup and then one of those attacks has a delayed follow-through just to gently caress with your parry timing.

Spells work for most of the game but not all of it, and the dagger is a very good backup melee weapon if you know how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Golden Goat posted:

Picked up where I left off in Scholar of the First Sin in Lost Bastille via the Eagle.

Are all these Pursuer ambushes new to this version? Cause after the third time of appearing he's more annoying then threatening.

When I went through one of the double secret door hallways and he popped out of the ground all i could say was "gently caress dude go away."