Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So one of my players has a character that's not really engaged with the story and is kind of tagging along just because. I want to get the character some of his own story.

The character's background is that he's done some hopping around the planes in his time, particularly in the Shadowfell. I basically want to send Planar Cops after him, for basically having a ton of unpaid planar traffic violations. Would a githyanki crew be good for planeswalking meter maids who just keep showing up and being annoying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Are there DMs that don't love reading stuff like this?

Reading a 30 page booklet about bad mechanics designed by someone who might not understand the foundations they are building on is definitely something I would have to do in my personal hell.

inthesto posted:

So one of my players has a character that's not really engaged with the story and is kind of tagging along just because. I want to get the character some of his own story.

The character's background is that he's done some hopping around the planes in his time, particularly in the Shadowfell. I basically want to send Planar Cops after him, for basically having a ton of unpaid planar traffic violations. Would a githyanki crew be good for planeswalking meter maids who just keep showing up and being annoying?

I mean, depends. I don't know the player but is he actually looking for more engagement or what? I've found with people who aren't really engaging, having a negative repercussion show up and hit a player (even if its minor) causes them to disengage further. Someone needing a planes hopper to help them out and/or is on the run and finds this player's character and asks for their help might be a better way of swinging this first.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 8, 2018

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

"It's too much extra stuff!" is a weird argument against Mystic because... it's mostly just a spell list. It's not 30 pages of mechanically dense, completely new information.

Like it's just a new caster class with a little gimmick not too dissimilar from gimmicks they already have and a list of spells for that class. If that's the straw that breaks the camel's back... okay, sure, but it's weird that other casters didn't do that already if Mystic is just too much

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 8, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Darwinism posted:

"It's too much extra stuff!" is a weird argument against Mystic because... it's mostly just a spell list. It's not 30 pages of mechanically dense, completely new information.

I think a lot of people are replying to the assumption that GM's love reading this stuff than the Mystic specifically. I mean a while ago someone asked me to go over the Critical Role blood hunter class and even though that was all of 10 pages, it was genuinely painful to get through mechanics. Plus I'd probably guess and say its still better designed than the mystic lol.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Yeah, I think perhaps I just love mechanics.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Yeah, I think perhaps I just love mechanics.

Umm... I'm sure a lot of people in here really like mechanics? It's why people play so many different game system, styles of games and enjoy exploring different conflict resolution solutions. They just distinguish between good mechanics and bad mechanics really.

EDIT: Also all game design has peaked with Dread so its tough for anything to really look favourably next to it.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 8, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

kingcom posted:

Reading a 30 page booklet about bad mechanics designed by someone who might not understand the foundations they are building on is definitely something I would have to do in my personal hell.

I mean, depends. I don't know the player but is he actually looking for more engagement or what? I've found with people who aren't really engaging, having a negative repercussion show up and hit a player (even if its minor) causes them to disengage further. Someone needing a planes hopper to help them out and/or is on the run and finds this player's character and asks for their help might be a better way of swinging this first.

Yeah, the player definitely wants to engage. It's just that her character is the odd man out, due to the current campaign being a sequel to LMoP, which she ran and I played in. As a result, four of the characters know each other well and are deeply entangled in the story, and then there's a half-orc barbarian just hanging around because...???

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

inthesto posted:

Yeah, the player definitely wants to engage. It's just that her character is the odd man out, due to the current campaign being a sequel to LMoP, which she ran and I played in. As a result, four of the characters know each other well and are deeply entangled in the story, and then there's a half-orc barbarian just hanging around because...???

Ah thats good to hear, not try to call out your idea just cant give advice without context and all. My recommendation in this case would still be give them someone needing their help that hooks into the main story directly rather than a side personal thing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Perception and investigation sort of split up where perception is sense-driven (smelling a tendril of incense on the wind, hearing the clinking of chainmail, seeing light wink off of a tripwire) and investigation is intellect-driven (skimming a book for clues, figuring out how to operate an ancient mechanism, figuring out a path across a set of puzzle-trapped tiles). If both skills apply such that deduction or pure senses could work (trying to find a book that you know is hidden in a given room) I think you could choose which skill to use, and it would reflect just sort of poring over the room and poking through shelves vs. trying to figure out where someone would've hidden a book.

e: Actually the observant feat seems to add to passive investigation, so I guess that exists. Randomly having a stroke of insight or realizing that someone must have been lying?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 8, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Darwinism posted:

Like it's just a new caster class with a little gimmick not too dissimilar from gimmicks they already have and a list of spells for that class. If that's the straw that breaks the camel's back... okay, sure, but it's weird that other casters didn't do that already if Mystic is just too much

It's 30 pages of mechanics exclusive to a half-baked class.

kingcom posted:

Umm... I'm sure a lot of people in here really like mechanics? It's why people play so many different game system, styles of games and enjoy exploring different conflict resolution solutions. They just distinguish between good mechanics and bad mechanics really.

This.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm going to be playing a Fighter in CoS, and I want to pick up a few Paladin levels along the way. I'm starting with Fighter. What is an appropriate dip you think? Like Fighter 3 / Paladin 7? It's more for roleplay than anything, but I appreciate it when the mechanics meet the concept if anybody wants to hash it out with me.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The 5e handbook is pretty explicit about the different between Investigation and Perception in it's description of each (PHB p. 178):

Investigation: "When you look around for clues and make deductions based on those clues, you make an Intelligence (Investigation) check." Examples include finding a hidden object, figuring out what weapon caused a wound you're examining, or finding a weak point in the tunnel to help urge it to collapse onto a goblin horde.

Perception: "Your Wisdom (Perception) check lets you spot, hear, or otherwise detect the presence of something. It measures your general awareness of your surroundings and the keenness of your senses." Examples given are hearing a conversation through a door, eavesdropping under a window, or hearing monsters as they creep through the forest around you.

Investigation has to do with actively searching for something, while Perception has to do with using your knowledge of what your senses are giving you to make a judgement call. Yes, they are similar, but I think the handbook actually does a good job of distinguishing between the two.

I think a lot of this also comes down to "do I actually have to roll for this" and the narrative of your campaign. At the end of a lengthy combat yesterday, our rogue declared he was searching the dead bodies and rolled Investigation. He rolled poorly, but it would be super stupid if that means he finds nothing a la suddenly not being able to loot a corpse. Maybe that means he doesn't find the magic dagger stashed in the boot of the leader, though, because he didn't think to look there in his exhaustion after the battle. A better situation would be perhaps "you search the corpses and find general stuff, which seems odd to you considering how fancy this dude's uniform is. What do you do? Search the body in more detail? Roll investigate."

We like to roll for EVERYTHING because it's fun & can change the narrative in fun ways, but I think a lot of times it's easy to forget that we don't HAVE to do that. A lot of stuff should be automatic successes. I think the book covers this, too? One of them, at least.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Quidthulhu posted:

The 5e handbook is pretty explicit about the different between Investigation and Perception in it's description of each (PHB p. 178):

Investigation: "When you look around for clues and make deductions based on those clues, you make an Intelligence (Investigation) check." Examples include finding a hidden object, figuring out what weapon caused a wound you're examining, or finding a weak point in the tunnel to help urge it to collapse onto a goblin horde.

Perception: "Your Wisdom (Perception) check lets you spot, hear, or otherwise detect the presence of something. It measures your general awareness of your surroundings and the keenness of your senses." Examples given are hearing a conversation through a door, eavesdropping under a window, or hearing monsters as they creep through the forest around you.

Investigation has to do with actively searching for something, while Perception has to do with using your knowledge of what your senses are giving you to make a judgement call. Yes, they are similar, but I think the handbook actually does a good job of distinguishing between the two.

I think a lot of this also comes down to "do I actually have to roll for this" and the narrative of your campaign. At the end of a lengthy combat yesterday, our rogue declared he was searching the dead bodies and rolled Investigation. He rolled poorly, but it would be super stupid if that means he finds nothing a la suddenly not being able to loot a corpse. Maybe that means he doesn't find the magic dagger stashed in the boot of the leader, though, because he didn't think to look there in his exhaustion after the battle. A better situation would be perhaps "you search the corpses and find general stuff, which seems odd to you considering how fancy this dude's uniform is. What do you do? Search the body in more detail? Roll investigate."

We like to roll for EVERYTHING because it's fun & can change the narrative in fun ways, but I think a lot of times it's easy to forget that we don't HAVE to do that. A lot of stuff should be automatic successes. I think the book covers this, too? One of them, at least.

Yeah so one of the really really big problems is having a skill for both active/passive versions of the same functionality is pretty dumb plus both of those skills are incredibly locked down to hard yes/no results because of D&D. You can phrase this as your conscious or subconscious brain picking up on things but whatever you call it its really not the best idea to split this up in any meaningful way. On top of that D&D is a game about fighting and dungeons so your window where investigation comes up that is completely distinct to perception is something that kinda flies in the face of what D&D does. I've had a 1 year campaign of 5e in the past and am now running another game that is 4 months in and I don't think I've called upon an investigation check at all so far. It's just that rare and specific an event that certain players/parties will simply never do it.

The golden rule with dice rolling is unless there is a consequence for failing, don't ever roll at all. Since D&D doesn't actually have any kind of degrees of success/failure or GUMSHOE style investigation mechanic, the skill really easily turns into a 'roll vs advancing the plot'. As a GM I want my players to actually have some idea of whats going on and whats happening so they can make decisions. If they fail their investigation checks and learn nothing, they can't make decisions or guess at to whats going on so whats the point in the roll? There aren't really any 'invent clue' mechanics or partial knowledge results or anything like that. Hanging plot success on passing investigation is just bad and you should never do it and if the goal for me (and im sure many others too) is for the interesting decisions from players as a result of information, then hiding information like that at all will force you away from the goal you're working towards.

Finally your last available option is to give them false information on a failure but I've never seen that play out enjoyably on a reliable basis. If the players make decisions based on false information they often just feel pretty lovely at the end since false information is one of those things that result in cascading failure across an adventure (false assumption leads to false actions which lead to further falsities etc) and it ends up turning something like investigation into this critical must have skill or it can hurt you far into the future. Managing this is kind of a huge burden on a GM to fix (much like every issue with D&D to be honest so at least they are consistent). This kind of failure can work absolutely great in other types of games but unfortunately the GM is never given any kind of information or theme about how the game works and again, it actively flies in the face of what the game presents itself as.

EDIT: Actually while we are on the topic, gently caress is D&D5e so bad at conveying how a game of it is supposed to run. All the adventures beyond Lost Mines are extremely loose and vague 'heres a structure of a narrative and you fill in the connective tissue!' I have my interpretation of how the system should be functioning but I guarantee its going to be wildly different to yours Quidthulhu. I mean can anyone point to how a D&D investigation is supposed to play out (at least other than a freeform rp with maybe a check and hoping the players pick up on the same genre conventions as the GM)?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 8, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also they look really distinct in that description until you realize their function has to do with what's happening inside the characters' own heads. Like the distinction between "solving a mystery" and "overhearing goblins" is very clear but maybe not so much other things.

"I examine the hallway." Under perception you might smell fresh air, see claw marks in the store or hear running water. Investigation might tell you there's a hidden passage. Both are functionally the same. You could say the mere act of saying "I examine" makes it investigation; but then we're right back to the 3e era problem where the investigation character has to stop the game every three seconds to announce he's using his skill. Or just concede perception is less annoying and get that instead.

They are different yes, but the cases that investigation covers that perception does not in a game about killing skeletons in basements are sufficiently rare to feel like a waste.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I'm going to be playing a Fighter in CoS, and I want to pick up a few Paladin levels along the way. I'm starting with Fighter. What is an appropriate dip you think? Like Fighter 3 / Paladin 7? It's more for roleplay than anything, but I appreciate it when the mechanics meet the concept if anybody wants to hash it out with me.

Okay so hot tip, for roleplay reasons, ignore your character sheet. You can say and roleplay one without actually having any levels in a class called 'paladin'.

'A rose by any other name smells just a sweet' is the single most important lesson anyone playing an rpg can learn. I played a warlord, I called myself a warlord, I told other characters I'm a warlord but next to 'Class' on my character sheet, it had the word 'Bard'. So I'd say have a think about if have the word paladin written on your paper actually lets you roleplay in some way where you couldn't before.

Anyway for actual build mechanics, what are you trying to get out of the paladin? Paladin 6 is the moment you get your super broken buff aura so I'd recommend going to at least that. Unfortunately since your starting class is Fighter you are basically overlapping on the exact same skillset/abilities for very little gain. A paladin basically gets increasingly bigger rewards for being more paladin and the opportunity cost of 3 levels you have in a Fighter means your big deal smiting is now just kinda useful at best.

Your best bet might be to take Eldrich Knight as your Fighter Archetype to just give you more Smite uses as a paladin since thats pretty agnostic of whatever type of paladin you plan on being later on. This way you can completely ignore intelligence and just use your EK spells as 2 extra fuel for your smites and never really cast them (or only use them as part of utility roles). It means you won't be a MAD mess of a class with just str or dex + cha and con being your skillset.

If you want to specialize you might enjoy battlemaster (oh god why am i recommending this whats wrong with me) comboed with a Conquest paladin. Take Menacing Attack with your battlemaster and use it to combo with your Paladin 7 Conquest Aura. This means you have multiple ways of dumping fear effects onto enemies and locking them down so they can't run away from you. Load up on Protection and Defensive Fighting styles and just play a tank that scares everything so it cant run away from you and locks everyone down. It's a gimmick and just like all conquest paladins is extremely crippled by things that cant be frightened for reasons but at least you have smites to compensate.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 8, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'll just stick with Fighter. I'm starting at level 3, it's CoS so I think it only goes to 10. I'm just a Lawful Good Fighter. The character's goal is paladinhood, but that's more a post-campaign thing I imagine. Thanks for the post. I took Riposte, Rally, and Trip Attack. I have 13 CHA as I was planning on the Paladin multi-class, so meh. I'm fine with it! I do thank you again for your input.

There was a WebDM video that was discussing basically this same thing. We can say we are Warlords and Paladins, but if we are going to abstract things without mechanics, we may as well just be talking. I like to have the crunch match the fluff for a delicious rice krispie treat of d&d.

I know everyone likes to make fun of Fighters because they can't bodyslam rivers, but most of my D&D games are like within levels 1-7, and my martial classes tend to punch nerdy wizards pretty good. I... I think I like Fighter in 5E. I do wish Cavalier was more Pathfinder, though. And Samurai was more Pathfinder (or L5R :D).

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 8, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm a big fan of fighter so far as we've gone, which is level 6, but we'll see if things turn sour later on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Firstborn posted:

They don't meet anywhere; Paladin is the better class for any sort of meaningful investment, and it's hard to justify diluting its progression with Fighter levels anytime before level 11. Action Surge and Improved Critical (Champion) are neat tricks but there just isn't any place you can comfortably slot in a 3-level delay given how much of a power boost Extra Attack (5), Aura of Protection (6), 3rd level spells (9), and Improved Divine Smite (11) are.

Why do you want to Fighter/Paladin anyway? What's the roleplay reason? I really can't see any flavor difference between that and a full Paladin.

ED:

Firstborn posted:

I'll just stick with Fighter. I'm starting at level 3, it's CoS so I think it only goes to 10. I'm just a Lawful Good Fighter. The character's goal is paladinhood, but that's more a post-campaign thing I imagine. Thanks for the post. I took Riposte, Rally, and Trip Attack. I have 13 CHA as I was planning on the Paladin multi-class, so meh. I'm fine with it! I do thank you again for your input.

I know everyone likes to make fun of Fighters because they can't bodyslam rivers, but most of my D&D games are like within levels 1-7, and my martial classes tend to punch nerdy wizards pretty good. I... I think I like Fighter in 5E. I do wish Cavalier was more Pathfinder, though. And Samurai was more Pathfinder (or L5R :D).

5e Paladins are powered by self-righteousness so they're less something you aim to become, but rather something you turn into as a consequence of your nature ala Sorcerers.

Fighter is okay. Precision is the best Maneuver tho, and Rally is garbage.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 8, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm not going to argue with you about fighters other than the 'cant bodyslam rivers' thing isnt the issue with them.

Firstborn posted:

There was a WebDM video that was discussing basically this same thing. We can say we are Warlords and Paladins, but if we are going to abstract things without mechanics, we may as well just be talking. I like to have the crunch match the fluff for a delicious rice krispie treat of d&d.

This point however I'll bring up. The thing is, D&D doesn't really have mechanics for roleplaying. The most you get is a skill check really so ultimately, yeah you are just talking and your 'mechanics' are just the handful of combat abilities that classes get. D&D unfortunately just doesn't sync up its crunch with it's fluff because of the way mechanics are so interlocked with decades old tradition that may not match what you want to do fluff wise.

If you want to match mechanics to fluff, you need to figure out what you want to be doing fluff wise and then work backwards from there. I picked a Bard as my warlord because thats the class that 'mechanically' most accurately reflects playing a warlord when the default suggestion is often 'Battlemaster'. A Warlord needs to be doing things like: Healing, buffing allies, debuffing enemies, helping allies pass saves and get out of debuffs. It needs to be passing actions to others based on what the group needs right this moment. They need to be a second line fighter. These are almost entirely a list of things the bard does mechanically. Despite the fluff saying a battlemaster is a battlefield tactician type, the mechanics say a Bard is the battlefield tactician. Thats what I was trying to get at with my 'A rose by any other name smells as sweet' comment. You are trying to get the fluff, 'the smell' even if the name itself makes it seem like its not the right thing.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

inthesto posted:

The answer you're looking for is Modrons. Modrons are the perfect planar police because they care more about the abnormality part of "benign minor abnormality".

It also lets you put tiny square robots with sirens on top of their heads into a D&D game.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Firstborn posted:

The character's goal is paladinhood, but that's more a post-campaign thing I imagine.

Minor Spoiler for CoS: If this is an RP, rather than mechanical, goal. One of the quest lines in CoS will pretty much let you accomplish this.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
So my players are loving things up in the most spectacular way and it's amazing and I am so excited to play the next session.

The story:

The party enters the City of Light, a clockwork city run by brass, clockwork men (well, men and women) who can control time and space. After some exploration and investigation, the party discovers the City of Light is actually a planar prison keeping some extremely dangerous beings imprisoned in the vast void. The city itself is this sort of fixture blocking an open portal to the astral plane, like a cork in a wine bottle. It's controlled by the brass men, who are each a part of a magical collective. Shelly, an NPC who isn't a friend or an antagonist, really, but an enemy of their enemy, offers them some help with a quest they're on if they help her with something. She wants them to absorb her AI core* into the collective's nexus so that she can take over. The players don't really know the full extent of what this means, but Moose, the party's halfling monk, is rightfully suspicious. He likes the idea of taking down the brass men since they're being giant jerks to the players, but doesn't want to give Shelly that kind of power.

Now, the party had previously met other AIs. In fact, the warlock had actually helped one free itself from its government facility. Dalton, the AI, was a simple, low-level mapping intelligence who is honestly just super chipper and very excited just to be a part of things. She absorbed this AI's core into herself, failing a charisma check and have a split personality. She offers up the idea to decouple Dalton from herself and absorb him into the collective mind. The entire group loves this idea, of turning their best friend AI into basically a demigod.

I am so pumped to resolve this next session.

* The setting is a homebrew. It's like if the real world suffered a sort of magical apocalypse after mad scientists go too far with planar travel and break the universe. The macguffin is a calculator that can divide by 0. Magic is created along with nasty things and wondrous miracles. The story takes place 1,000 years after that as the party was trapped in a sort of magical stasis for that entire time. Surviving technology from the old world is essentially a fusion of super-tech and magic, which is why the AI cores can be absorbed by magical beings. It's a little loose, technically speaking, but whatever it's magic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Quidthulhu posted:

Maybe that means he doesn't find the magic dagger stashed in the boot of the leader, though, because he didn't think to look there in his exhaustion after the battle.
The first questions you should ask about any mechanic are "What is this trying to emulate" and "What player and/or GM behaviour am I trying to incentivize?"

Cost-free searching with "you don't find <thing>" as a possible result is bad because if someone rolls low everyone knows they rolled low so all that happens is the next person goes "OK I'll look". If you say only one person can do the investigating then you have The Investigate Guy and a bunch of other people with lower investigate who need to avoid saying "I look" to avoid blowing their investigate chance with their lovely modifier. Neither of these are player behaviours you want to incentivize or genre staples you want to emulate. It also encourages GMs to gate progress-dependant info behind checks that can fail, which is also bad and made worse by the binary pass-fail nature of D&D.

There's a bunch of ways to handle this, but all of them require you to have a solid handle on what your game is. If it's a game about resource management, impose an up-front cost. OD&D had time as a quantified countdown to the next wandering monster roll so choosing to search was a big deal. You were trading time for (hopefully) better resources.

Not going to list every kind of game out there, but what kind of game is D&D 5e? What is it trying to emulate? What kind of "finding stuff" mechanics would encourage players to act within genre? What kind of mechanics compliment genre conventions?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CubeTheory posted:

Anyone have good idea for glass cannon enemies in an evil jungle type setting? Looking for less than 100 hp and around 40 damage a round.

The fetishes from Diablo 2.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kibner posted:

The fetishes from Diablo 2.

everyone who reads this thread just got irrationally angry

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Razorwired posted:

The answer you're looking for is Modrons. Modrons are the perfect planar police because they care more about the abnormality part of "benign minor abnormality".

It also lets you put tiny square robots with sirens on top of their heads into a D&D game.

This is absolutely perfect, can't believe I forgot about those goofy critters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a game that does let a fighter bodyslam a river or whatever?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did session 2 of LMoP and due to a combination of tactics and bad rolls on my players part being nullified by even worse rolls on my part they're kind of blazing through it. The wolf encounter was a snap (and only happened because the ranger critically failed an animal handling roll) with one of them spending the entire fight chained due to missing its strength check over and over, one of them getting taken out in a single crit from the ranger, and the third getting spooked by an illusion of a bear's roar into attacking with disadvantage on the one attack it got to make before getting dogpiled.

The Yeemik fight didn't even have a chance to turn into a parlay session. They were able to sneak up on the group thanks to the genasi cleric's racial ability diving everyone pass without trace, most of the goblins got Sleep'd at the start of the surprise round (as well as poor Sildar), and Yeemik was bumrushed before he even had a chance to get to Sildar to hold him hostage. The rest of the battle consisted mostly of goblins disengaging around to try and get good hits on the lesser armor party members (and me making one of the goblins have save vs dex shrapnel grenades to use on the cleric and ranger) but in the end only the ranger took any actual damage during the battle after a lot of misses. Like a lot of misses. On both sides. Afterwards the bard was tapped on spell slots but can still effectively Vicious Mockery everything into submission, the wizard still has one in the chamber, and the barbarian hasn't even needed to rage yet.

We'll see how they handle Klarg but I'm thinking about stepping it up by making one of the goblins with him a full-on spellcaster.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 8, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From Exemplars and Eidolons:

quote:

Wallbreaker: You can break or ignore barriers less sturdy than a stone wall when moving or acting. Against heavier construction, you break a foot of stone or similar material per round spent smashing. You can’t be impeded or blocked by foes.

From Godbound:

quote:

River Tamer

Commit Effort. Amounts of water no larger than a small river can be redirected, made to flow into the air or move in otherwise impossible fashion. The water may sweep away buildings or creatures depending on the amounts involved, and is sufficient to speed a ship at sea at ten times its usual pace. The flow continues as long as effort remains committed, and can be controlled up to 1,000 feet away from the hero as an action. The hero and their allies are never unwillingly moved or harmed by this water.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

JBP posted:

Is there a game that does let a fighter bodyslam a river or whatever?

Exalted

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Nobilis characters that focus on the stat for "Body and Mind Stuff" go from "World class Athlete/Scholar in every discipline." at 1 point to "Can beat a machine designed for this or an animal evolved to do this." At everything.

If you burn MP to go past that you can do poo poo like causing a solar eclipse by covering the sun with your thumb or hiding London in your pocket if you're standing in a place to make that perspective trick work.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here's a question. I'm playing with a group (as a PC, not the DM), and we've just started our second campaign together, a homebrew (with the first being LMoP), not that any of that really matters. Other than the DM, we're all pretty new to D&D, a couple of us having played Baldur's Gate and other stuff like it so we're somewhat familiar with mechanics, and the other two having no experience with it at all. As a group though, we have been playing weekly board games together for something like 5 years now. Here's my current issue: one of the players that doesn't have any experience with D&D, as much as we are friends, as far as board games go she just doesn't trust me. At all, ever. It comes from years of playing games like Coup and Avalon where, let's be real, I'm kind of a conspiring prick.

So now, in a D&D campaign where by all logical reasoning our characters should be super friendly and get along (we're the only two half elves in the party, she's straight up said she's materialistic and I'm from a noble family and have been trying to be super charming), she's still going out of her way to be contrary and/or an rear end in a top hat, to the point of leaving me (a warlock who was silenced at the time) alone in a room with a couple hostile pirates last session, which led to me getting knocked the gently caress out. When I talked to her about it afterward she basically just said "pirates were scary and I didn't want to be near them" even though the room she moved into had MORE pirates and she had no problem fighting those ones.

Do I just need to chalk this up to "some people don't RP the way I want them to/they should", and just ignore it? Or is there something else I can maybe do in game/outside the game to get her on board?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

That player is being a dick straight up. This is a game about working as a team. If you're abritrarily loving over other players you're doing a bad job.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Keep in mind when most people play games they aren't in the character head-space the entire time; they usually think from the hip. The trouble with newer players is that sometimes they do things 'in the moment' that seem funny or quirky and then you think about it after the fact and it looks real lovely. A good player will say, "oh I'm sorry, OOC I didn't mean to do that, and let's try to rationalize that IC this way..." whereas a bad player doubles down and says, "lol it was funny and it's what my character would do."

Since it's closer to the latter maybe somebody should talk to her about what that looks like.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Naelyan posted:

Here's a question. I'm playing with a group (as a PC, not the DM), and we've just started our second campaign together, a homebrew (with the first being LMoP), not that any of that really matters. Other than the DM, we're all pretty new to D&D, a couple of us having played Baldur's Gate and other stuff like it so we're somewhat familiar with mechanics, and the other two having no experience with it at all. As a group though, we have been playing weekly board games together for something like 5 years now. Here's my current issue: one of the players that doesn't have any experience with D&D, as much as we are friends, as far as board games go she just doesn't trust me. At all, ever. It comes from years of playing games like Coup and Avalon where, let's be real, I'm kind of a conspiring prick.

So now, in a D&D campaign where by all logical reasoning our characters should be super friendly and get along (we're the only two half elves in the party, she's straight up said she's materialistic and I'm from a noble family and have been trying to be super charming), she's still going out of her way to be contrary and/or an rear end in a top hat, to the point of leaving me (a warlock who was silenced at the time) alone in a room with a couple hostile pirates last session, which led to me getting knocked the gently caress out. When I talked to her about it afterward she basically just said "pirates were scary and I didn't want to be near them" even though the room she moved into had MORE pirates and she had no problem fighting those ones.

Do I just need to chalk this up to "some people don't RP the way I want them to/they should", and just ignore it? Or is there something else I can maybe do in game/outside the game to get her on board?
Maybe she's carrying some OOC grudges into a game with plausible deniability.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So are there any buffs in the game that are even competitive with Bless (at any level)?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

P.d0t posted:

So are there any buffs in the game that are even competitive with Bless (at any level)?

Haste is pretty cool .

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

P.d0t posted:

Haste, Greater Invisibility, Shadow of Moil, Sacred Weapon, Foresight

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
The Polymorph line, for boatloads of temporary HP. If we delve beyond spells into class features, Bardic Inspiration and Aura of Protection (along with archetype-specific augments to them) are solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

P.d0t posted:

Not concentration, but you gotta have that Heroes Feast. The cost doesn't matter by the time it can be cast.