Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s not a bad design honestly, hope we somehow get to see it in the manga proper eventually (aside from the brief glimpse we got during the traitor reveal that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
she looks like all the other woman characters that got hyped up and then jobbed within 5 chapters only to be never mentioned again

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

skipmyseashells posted:

she looks like all the other woman characters that got hyped up and then jobbed within 5 chapters only to be never mentioned again

No she doesn't? Like there's complaints to be made but generally speaking Horikoshi is good at relatively diverse bodytypes.

The anime undoes this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also who does that apply to aside from Star? Most of the other women characters either had pretty extended tenures and/or have kicked plenty of rear end in their time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Also who does that apply to aside from Star? Most of the other women characters either had pretty extended tenures and/or have kicked plenty of rear end in their time.

Who Toru Hagakure looks nothing like, what with Star being female All Might in body shape.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
the lizard girl, the sniper lady, mt lady was a job show but she had multiple fights I guess, and midnight since her only real fight was during the war

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Fabricated posted:

Hagekure's design reminds me of something else but I can't place it.

Before I saw the above post mention it was her, I thought it was a gender-swapped Deku.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

skipmyseashells posted:

the lizard girl, the sniper lady, mt lady was a job show but she had multiple fights I guess, and midnight since her only real fight was during the war
Mt Lady did a pretty good job all things considered. Lizard girl just straight up jobbed though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mt.Lady has shown some of the best character growth in the series by far

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can't really call any of the class B characters "hyped up" when they're so the other guys that one character is defined by his complex over it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mt.Lady has shown some of the best character growth in the series by far

I can't tell if you're being genuine or making a joke. Or both. :argh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It legit took me a while to remember who lizard girl was and when she jobbed. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

It legit took me a while to remember who lizard girl was and when she jobbed. :v:

She got one pose Horikoshi clearly drew one handed, then went to pieces and detonated vs. Bakugo in the worst arc of the manga

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also can you really count Nagant as jobbing since she was essentially the antagonist of that whole mini arc?

E: We're letting ourselves get distracted from the actual point that none of those characters look like Hagakure

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is a very funny conversation to come directly after being angry at female fans for liking male characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

winning isn't everything

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

She got one pose Horikoshi clearly drew one handed, then went to pieces and detonated vs. Bakugo in the worst arc of the manga

Yeah, I remember her. She had good design, cool power and fun personality and is, like "wasted BnHA character number #873".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

winning isn't everything

But enough about Momo.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Totally forgot Nagant came and went like a passing comet what was she here for.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mt Lady has more of a character arc than even most of the ancillary 1-A kids. She starts out as obviously being a clout chaser who poaches work from Kamui, then she expresses concern about being too aggressive in subduing what turns out to be AFO, then she hooks up with Kamui and forms a team in spite of being a clout chaser starting out, then she gives her level best fighting Machia and gets hosed up doing so, and she doesn't quit being a hero where her senior Death Arms does after the war.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheHan posted:

Totally forgot Nagant came and went like a passing comet what was she here for.

To use her basically dying breath to tell Deku about AfO's hideout, but then it turned out that it was a fake hideout set as a trap by AfO in case one of the people working for him betrayed him, and then the hideout exploded with all the heroes in it but everyone got out totally fine and it was never mentioned again.

Fabricated posted:

Mt Lady has more of a character arc than even most of the ancillary 1-A kids. She starts out as obviously being a clout chaser who poaches work from Kamui, then she expresses concern about being too aggressive in subduing what turns out to be AFO, then she hooks up with Kamui and forms a team in spite of being a clout chaser starting out, then she gives her level best fighting Machia and gets hosed up doing so, and she doesn't quit being a hero where her senior Death Arms does after the war.

Yeah Mt. Lady is one of the ancillary characters who has actually been given some level of attention and development. She's the definition of a side character and was never going to be a major spotlight focus but she shows up enough and changes in a sensible enough way that she has a good arc. She's very different from, say, most of the school kids who basically just completely vanish until Horikoshi remembers they exist for a couple panels.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I just wasn't sure if "character growth" was a pun about her Quirk.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Hagakure doesn't look anything like Francis Xavier! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!1

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi is back to sketching since it's a break.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1521053621806243840?s=20&t=2ZEjnpDRGB0alLpI0xSafg

First full-on drawing of visible Hagekure.
I love how fluffy her hair is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah I love how Horikoshi draws fluffy hair

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of like her outfit and colonial style hat as well (I assume those were custom made for her since I believe we’ve seen that anything Hagekure touches doesn’t also turn invisible)

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Larryb posted:

I kind of like her outfit and colonial style hat as well (I assume those were custom made for her since I believe we’ve seen that anything Hagekure touches doesn’t also turn invisible)

I think it goes with Kirishima's pirate look.

Maybe Hori's been watching Our Flag Means Death along with the rest of the world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

I think it goes with Kirishima's pirate look.

Maybe Hori's been watching Our Flag Means Death along with the rest of the world.

To be fair we’ve never seen her clothes so you can’t say for certain she doesn’t actually dress like that normally

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

To be fair we’ve never seen her clothes so you can’t say for certain she doesn’t actually dress like that normally

We've seen her uniform and her in a cheerleading outfit, at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

We've seen her uniform and her in a cheerleading outfit, at least.

I was just about to update my post with that, yeah (though if I recall correctly we don’t know what her hero outfit looks like aside from a pair of gloves)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's because she's naked.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Remember when people thought that Hagakure was going to secretly be an adult woman with a young sounding voice?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

They’re dressed like Pirates, why they are dressed like Pirates I have no idea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

They’re dressed like Pirates, why they are dressed like Pirates I have no idea.

I realize that now, still a good outfit though

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Remember when people thought that Hagakure was going to secretly be an adult woman with a young sounding voice?

Why'd anyone think that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That was supposition back when people assumed she was going to be a villain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That was supposition back when people assumed she was going to be a villain.

Yeah basically the idea people had was she was using her invisibility to hide her age and infiltrate the school.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm still pissed about how Horikoshi used Hagakure in the Aoyama reveal. There's misleading the reader in order to land a twist, and there's outright lying. All For One confirming once and for all he definitely has a mole and then showing a closeup of Invisible Girl, but not having her be the traitor was cheap, lazy, and bad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That's... a really strong opinion for a one week misdirect.

There are I guess 3 main reasons why Hagakure was used well in that situation:

1. As an invisible person, that puts her in high suspicion because that is a power that would easily facilitate being a spy, with maybe Momo and Jiro being close runnera-up.

2: Being invisible helped her catch the traitor.

3: They were friends, their quirks synergiemze, and they worked together during fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There are social contracts set between the writer and the reader in storytelling. If you're going to break them, it needs to be for more than just a HAHA GOTCHA.

If these contracts erode, then we may as well accept All For One actually being some kind of alien ninja god from outer space (I never finished Naruto).