Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Xenonauts words, as coincidentally I also just (re)installed Xenonauts 2 yesterday, to see how the development is progressing.

Jamsque posted:

Fine, sure, but can we maybe get a ghost outline of where aliens left the field of vision? No? I just have to remember that myself, and if the camera jumps around to some piece of the map I don't immediately recognize during the enemy turn, and a pod moves into and out of vision before the camera snaps to somewhere else again, I'm just hosed, I have no way of figuring out where the pod is.
I dunno why you say "pod", as the enemies move individually. But that aside, this is a very valid practical concern, and something you'd probably do well to bring up on the game's forum. Just, you know, probably in a less combative tone. I know Chris keeps a close eye on the place.
The way I see it, as they have the usual red and yellow icons for "enemies actively seen by the currently selected soldier" and "enemies seen by others but not by current soldier", they could add a grey icon for "last known position of enemy currently unaccounted for by anyone".

As for subjective stuff like aesthetics:
Personally, I don't mind the "blandness" in this case. Xenonauts' sort of cold, clinical audiovisual style with some minimalist, understated music is a valid vibe in its own right, imo. And personally I find night missions to actually feel pretty drat creepy. (Hooray for just automatically giving everyone flares at night.) I really wouldn't want for every game in the genre to look and sound like this, but it works for Xenonauts imo.
It's actually kinda wild how similar the battlescape looks to the first game, despite being actual 3d this time over. It feels like I'm looking at this crisp 2d image, but then I hit the camera rotation key and *zwoop*.

Not having soldier progression beyond stat increases... eh, whatever. They increase whichever stats they're using, that's good enough for me in the context of the rest of the game. A few more different stats (like throwing accuracy, etc) wouldn't hurt. To keep soldiers a bit different from eachother, maybe something like variable stat caps could be a thing, so everyone wouldn't eventually become an equally omnipotent killing machine. But hey, at least I no longer have to gently caress around trying to ensure that everyone gets a kill to have their stat XP count.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with Xenonauts 2 so far. My main concern is whether they'll ultimately have enough changes and improvements to differentiate it from X1 enough. The air combat is currently identical to X1, but they have explicitly stated it's just a placeholder and they're actively working on the system.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Chimera Squad ending with a teaser for Xcom 3 is brutal now that we know it's basically never happening.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Chimera Squad ending with a teaser for Xcom 3 is brutal now that we know it's basically never happening.

I must've missed an update. Why is Xcom 3 never happening?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Did any of you try Lamplighter's League? I think it had a kind of rough launch if I remember correctly, but then I never heard a word about it again.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Did any of you try Lamplighter's League? I think it had a kind of rough launch if I remember correctly, but then I never heard a word about it again.

You just reminded me that it's available on Gamepass. Going to install it and give it a shot I think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^^Oh it's on gamepass, hell yeah

OzFactor posted:

Thank you, that was the game I have been trying to think of when this X-Com-like conversation started. I remember watching a couple of streams of it last year, and it looked pretty cool, but apparently, it's been out for months and zilch.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

chaosapiant posted:

Solomon left firaxis. It's still possible, but it would have a new team lead, and who knows how much of the rest of the team hasn't also left or been shuffled around as is the industry norm.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

chaosapiant posted:

The layoffs at Firaxis after Midnight Suns failed are presumed to have fallen largely on the team that would have made any Xcom 3 (including Jake Solomon).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

OzFactor posted:

I played through it, in short, it's nowhere near any of the more recent X-Coms in quality for sure but there's some enjoyment to be had, I got it at release for full price and was reasonably happy whereas Chaos Gate and the Ad Mech turn based game I fell off pretty quickly.

Not enough environment/enemy variety for how long of a game it is was the main issue I had, it stops introducing new enemies and then keeps going for what feels like another 20 hours which is obviously a pretty big issue.

I started replaying it with some of the agents I'd only recruited near the end of the game or just hadn't used much, they are pretty different and fun but then realised I was seeing the exact same stuff again, that killed the replay pretty quickly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

OzFactor posted:

They fired almost the entire team a few months before it was released, so probably not much post-release updates.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

OzFactor posted:

It's as charming as it looks, with fun characters in a light lovecraft setting. The real time stealth component lets you delete probably more mobs than the creators intended, followed by an 8/10 turn based component.

It's kinda strange that the soldier upgrade currency is shared. There is at least one character who will absolutely destroy the action economy if they get all the upgrades (which will be quick if you invest only in them).

This also has the side-effect of encouraging you to always take the same people on each mission, so that's a bit sad, like it is a bit sad that you start each campaign with the same 3 people (so you will want to upgrade them because they're the only ones you have, and then you will want to stick to them because they're upgraded...)

I played it all the way through on hardest difficulty and don't regret it. It's kinda on par with Chimera Squad for me.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I don't have any personal knowledge of Firaxis internals, but the impression I got is that they're going to focus on Civ VII, get that out the door, and then when that's established they'll shift resources to the XCom franchise. As far as I know, Mark Nauta is still there and would likely be the lead for whatever is next.

Jake talked about prototyping XCom for years before they began developing it, and if they still follow that philosophy there's likely to be someone messing with something new.

So yeah, it's going to be a while, but I wouldn't say it's not going to happen ever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, jake leaving isn't much of an issue in my mind. he also wasn't involved in chimera squad, and frankly CS turned out great all things considered.

the layoffs at firaxis after midnight suns fell flat on its face though that definitely made me think that xcom 3 is gonna be backburnered for another gorillion years.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Folks getting let go is never a good sign, true. But XCOM is one of Firaxis's best selling franchises and I don't expect them to put it to sleep so soon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

they should make an x-com autobattler

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

chaosapiant posted:

Folks getting let go is never a good sign, true. But XCOM is one of Firaxis's best selling franchises and I don't expect them to put it to sleep so soon.

Yeah XCOM isn’t going anywhere. The brand is really strong, and there’s clearly a market for it. Maybe it’ll take another few years, but eventually the stars will realign. It’s like Diablo - there might have only been four main titles since 1997, but that doesn’t mean there’s not going to be a fifth someday.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They should make XCOM Enforcer 2

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kennel posted:

They should make XCOM Enforcer 2

xcom interceptor: the re-engagement

chaosapiant posted:

i mean WotC came out in 2017. it's already asleep, the question is whether or not it's in a coma. CS came out in 2020 so we're already longer than that. i doubt we're going to get another high effort, quirky formula experiment dropped out of nowhere this year either.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

It needs a champion and Sid Meier has by all accounts (particularly Solomon's) provided support and coaching towards the development of XCOM while personally not caring for the game much himself.

One thing I absolutely believe is that no matter how well selling it is, if Sid doesn't believe a sequel project is hitting that 1/3 retained 1/3 revised 1/3 new rule then he'll can it.

E: ^^ I've maintained for like a decade now that the natural next place for XCOM 3 is to reimagine Interceptor as a turn-based tactics game. This actually is something Sid would care about because he made Ace Patrol and Starships! You take that starting point and you build an XCOM game around it, with the strategy layer being a more proactive push outwards into space deal.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 3, 2024

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It needs a champion and Sid Meier has by all accounts (particularly Solomon's) provided support and coaching towards the development of XCOM while personally not caring for the game much himself.

One thing I absolutely believe is that no matter how well selling it is, if Sid doesn't believe a sequel project is hitting that 1/3 retained 1/3 revised 1/3 new rule then he'll can it.

E: ^^ I've maintained for like a decade now that the natural next place for XCOM 3 is to reimagine Interceptor as a turn-based tactics game. This actually is something Sid would care about because he made Ace Patrol and Starships! You take that starting point and you build an XCOM game around it, with the strategy layer being a more proactive push outwards into space deal.

An X-Com 4x where you're leading Humanity to destroy/defeat in detail the Alien menace could be interesting. You have an idea of what's in the Sol system, from recovered records when kicking them off of Earth, but do you know where to go from there? So it becomes figuring out the Alien FTL method, finding them in space, etc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

xcom 3 is very heavily hinted to be a combination of apoc and tftd so interceptor's probably out of the question for now

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

XCOM 2 was their analogue of TFTD and Chimera Squad was a riff on the Apoc setting. They've already done their tributes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

XCOM 2 was their analogue of TFTD
N….not really.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

An X-Com 4x where you're leading Humanity to destroy/defeat in detail the Alien menace could be interesting. You have an idea of what's in the Sol system, from recovered records when kicking them off of Earth, but do you know where to go from there? So it becomes figuring out the Alien FTL method, finding them in space, etc.

This game already exists, it's called Terra Invicta and it's made by the Long War devs

Though to be fair it only leaves Sol in text format through some of the endings. But it's already XCom: The 4X. And it's good but grognardy as hell.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 4, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alchenar posted:

XCOM 2 was their analogue of TFTD and Chimera Squad was a riff on the Apoc setting. They've already done their tributes.

you don’t lose in tftd

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The Breach mechanic from Chimaera Squad was such a breath of fresh air to the franchise, just like the Chosen nemesis-adjacent system. If shadow of Mordor didn’t own the concept a nemesis system in X-Com would be amazing where aliens who kill a squaddie get leveled up and become chosen style enemies and then taunt their old bond-mate

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

you don’t lose in tftd

You must have played a different tftd than me, I have not been able to play that game through to a win.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

What I really want for Xenonauts or some similar game is to take us from humanity resisting alien invasion until halfway through when we turn the tide and launch a counter offensive. I want to start launching operations against the aliens on their turf or at least liberate occupied earth.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would like it if Xenonauts 2 came out at some point lol. The current version is fine up until the invasion just ends. Really want to sink my teeth into the full game someday.

what was that one fan-game from years ago, did that ever actually complete

e: UFO: Alien Invasion was the one. Still looks like janky poo poo (not derogatory)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

N….not really.

The weapons tech is Magnetic Weapons, the entirely new enemy is a guy in a diving suit, and they moved the alien base from orbit to the bottom of the ocean.

XCOM2 isn't a remake of TFTD, but they deliberately tip their hat to that game in the same way that XCOM tips its hat to the original. And given that TFTD is literally 95% a reskin of UFO I really don't see what more there is anyone could want from it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cruise ship level

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The WOTC retaliation missions are the best version of terror missions we've gotten from the IP, apart from the terror events in Apoc where the aliens just drop a kaiju on you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

What I really want for Xenonauts or some similar game is to take us from humanity resisting alien invasion until halfway through when we turn the tide and launch a counter offensive. I want to start launching operations against the aliens on their turf or at least liberate occupied earth.

Honestly, i don't know if full extent campaigns really make that much sense, i think the games could stand to be shorter but more variable. I've played X-com files, and it does do that, and it's interminable(though it also tacks on a lot more to the pre-invasion portion, too).

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

xcom interceptor: the re-engagement
To this day I still hold that the game idea behind XCOM:Interceptor was a very sound one, hamstrung by terrible flying mechanics and lacklustre pilot management elements.

Heck, Interceptor wasnŽt even the first game in this vein: https://www.gog.com/en/game/renegade_the_battle_for_jacobs_star and IŽd argue that it had a far better logistics/economic model than Interceptor had.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

To this day I still hold that the game idea behind XCOM:Interceptor was a very sound one, hamstrung by terrible flying mechanics and lacklustre pilot management elements.

Heck, Interceptor wasnŽt even the first game in this vein: https://www.gog.com/en/game/renegade_the_battle_for_jacobs_star and IŽd argue that it had a far better logistics/economic model than Interceptor had.

I always thought of https://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/House_of_the_Dying_Sun/ as a proof of concept for an Interceptor remake - and an excellent game in its own right.

That was a one man effort, I think that with some more resources you could push the concept further, add a strategy layer, work out how to make ace pilots interesting to manage while delivering on Freespace 2 scale epic space battles and you have a game that I would buy. Hopefully some other people would buy it as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Enemy Starfighter/HotDS is excellent, yes.

But Interceptor was terminally flawed, any sort of interesting mixed-fleet combat with persistent fleet shenanigans would end up looking a lot like Homeworld or Enemy Starfighter etc, you'd have to rip out everything that connected it to the Xcom IP in the first place, such as squaddies etc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The weapons tech is Magnetic Weapons, the entirely new enemy is a guy in a diving suit, and they moved the alien base from orbit to the bottom of the ocean.

XCOM2 isn't a remake of TFTD, but they deliberately tip their hat to that game in the same way that XCOM tips its hat to the original. And given that TFTD is literally 95% a reskin of UFO I really don't see what more there is anyone could want from it.

Turn your monitor on

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xcom 2 spends an awful lot of time teasing a terror from the deep style sequel to be the terror from the deep inspired game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh while we're doing the wishlist, XCOM Alliance turned out to be too ambitious for its time but I recon psuedo procgen FPS games have improved to the point where you could do a mash up of XCOM, Republic Commando, and Ready or Not to produce something really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i had to refund chaos gate because of the fisheye UI bugged me out too much, but it seemed like a cool xcom ish game