Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Suing my first client. PI client fired me and settled for the same amount of the offer I got for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

Suing my first client. PI client fired me and settled for the same amount of the offer I got for her.

How's that work?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

Are they hot?

Not to me, but you and I may have different standards of hot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

How's that work?

Bar complaint inbound

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

How's that work?

In Texas a lawyer has a common law lien on the recovery. She told me she was going to hire another lawyer and I usually waive the lien. If I didnt, she's never be able to find a new lawyer. I wasnt fired for cause.

I later find out from insurance company that she wants to settle herself at the exact same amount.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just so it's not misinterpreted, I'm not implying Roger did anything worth a bar complaint, just that suing your client is a great way to get a frivolous retaliatory complaint filed against you.

Did you ever send a letter of rep to the insurance company? They probably won't send her a check without your name on it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just so it's not misinterpreted, I'm not implying Roger did anything worth a bar complaint, just that suing your client is a great way to get a frivolous retaliatory complaint filed against you.

Did you ever send a letter of rep to the insurance company? They probably won't send her a check without your name on it.

Yeah. In Texas legal malpractice is a mandatory counter-suit in a suit for fees.

Thankfully I did nothing wrong and I'm all out of fucks to give.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yeah. In Texas legal malpractice is a mandatory counter-suit in a suit for fees.

Thankfully I did nothing wrong and I'm all out of fucks to give.

Every malpractice carrier I've ever come across will basically disown you if you try and sue a client for fees precisely because it'll result in a malpractice counterclaim/grievance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GamingHyena posted:

Every malpractice carrier I've ever come across will basically disown you if you try and sue a client for fees precisely because it'll result in a malpractice counterclaim/grievance.

Even the self-insurance consortium ALAS tells you not to do that.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Hey guys, I'm an Army officer making $80k a year after taxes with a generic liberal arts degree. I'm half way to retirement. I like my job, but I just can't stand all the beeping. I've been watching a lot of Better Call Saul and have decided I want to become a PD. After a lot of studying and my third shot at the LSAT, I finally got into Duquesne. My buddy Toona The Cat told me I should follow my dreams. Thoughts?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Hey guys, I'm an Army officer making $80k a year after taxes with a generic liberal arts degree. I'm half way to retirement. I like my job, but I just can't stand all the beeping. I've been watching a lot of Better Call Saul and have decided I want to become a PD. After a lot of studying and my third shot at the LSAT, I finally got into Duquesne. My buddy Toona The Cat told me I should follow my dreams. Thoughts?

Goferit. Try the international panda law program at Duquesne.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Here's the catch: if it were a real post, and he were doing the army jag FLEP, we would say do it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Need more info on the beeping before I can give advice.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Do 20 years in the Army. Get a job working for the Government in Defense or Veterans Affairs in some legal area. Work 20 years for that Department. Retire with two pensions.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I know this is a troll, but weirdly, if one had GI bill money, and actually wanted to be a PD, it wouldn't be the worst idea.
In California, vets get a 5 point of 100 boost in hiring ranking (10 if you're a disabled vet) for local and state govt. Won't get you hired, but it will get you all the interviews.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

How did you know I went to Morse code school? Creepy.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Toona the Cat posted:

How did you know I went to Morse code school? Creepy.

Because it was like the first thing you posted in this thread. I'm too old for FLEP but was thinking about using my GI Bill for law school when I get out. Then I saw a link in GIP to your posts here and rode all seven pages of that rollercoaster. I no longer want to go to law school. You're doing the lord's work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Because it was like the first thing you posted in this thread. I'm too old for FLEP but was thinking about using my GI Bill for law school when I get out. Then I saw a link in GIP to your posts here and rode all seven pages of that rollercoaster. I no longer want to go to law school. You're doing the lord's work.

Good job!

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

sullat posted:

Goferit. Try the international panda law program at Duquesne.

Bird law is more popular in the part of Pennsylvania I'm from.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Just saw my first SovCit tasing at a preliminary hearing. :discourse:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Can I ask a professional question of you, the professionals? How far along are you in digitizing the courts. I mean paper-less, every single slip of paper exchanged with a .pdf type deal.

Just came back from a thing with the regional high court, where there was a two hour intro to this stuff which is supposed to be mandatory starting next year. A loooot of olds there, looking more than slightly panicked. Due to the way the system is built - at least right now - they by law have to do some of the poo poo themselves and the responsibility is aaaall them.

Luckily, I'm a :goonsay: so I did the practical test in literally three minutes. Who knew growing up a nerd with computers would be so helpful?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Can I ask a professional question of you, the professionals? How far along are you in digitizing the courts. I mean paper-less, every single slip of paper exchanged with a .pdf type deal.

Federal courts are all digitized, but state courts are still largely a loving mess.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Texas has made great strides in paperless i.e. e-filing almost everywhere; most courtrooms have the tech for paperless hearings.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

blarzgh posted:

Texas has made great strides in paperless i.e. e-filing almost everywhere; most courtrooms have the tech for paperless hearings.

Texas is also supposed to get its own version of pacer (called racer because we are not clever) I think this year? It'd be nice since the counties are so different in what you can get online, whether you have to pay, etc.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Transactional law has been full paperless for years. The only reason we ever need original signatures is for recording deeds in backwards Texas oil counties.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Louisiana is hopelessly backward. The bigger jurisdictions have their own systems, all different, and all providing different levels of service (docket entries only, viewable scanned documents, ability to e-file). New Orleans used to have a text-based docket that would show only the parties, counsel, dates of filings/minute entries and description of them, but very recently upgraded to a system where pleadings are scanned into the system to be viewed--filing has to be done physically though.

Appellate courts mostly allow e-filing briefs and viewing pdfs of decisions, but not necessarily viewing or filing entire records (which sort of makes sense as appellate records can be thousands of pages).

Federal is all electronic and is amazing in comparison.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Louisiana is hopelessly backward. The bigger jurisdictions have their own systems, all different, and all providing different levels of service (docket entries only, viewable scanned documents, ability to e-file). New Orleans used to have a text-based docket that would show only the parties, counsel, dates of filings/minute entries and description of them, but very recently upgraded to a system where pleadings are scanned into the system to be viewed--filing has to be done physically though.

Appellate courts mostly allow e-filing briefs and viewing pdfs of decisions, but not necessarily viewing or filing entire records (which sort of makes sense as appellate records can be thousands of pages).

Federal is all electronic and is amazing in comparison.

Which is depressing considering PACER is, like, geocities-era and quality.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just came back from a thing with the regional high court, where there was a two hour intro to this stuff which is supposed to be mandatory starting next year. A loooot of olds there, looking more than slightly panicked. Due to the way the system is built - at least right now - they by law have to do some of the poo poo themselves and the responsibility is aaaall them.

Luckily, I'm a :goonsay: so I did the practical test in literally three minutes. Who knew growing up a nerd with computers would be so helpful?

last time I was in court everyone was upset that free carbon paper stopped being provided and attorneys had to bring their own and hoard it

also audio recordings are strictly prohibited and if you want a record you have to bring in a court reporter you pay for

Hilariously, judges have computers to pull up what's scanned into the system (takes a few months) but their computers can't pull up what was filed electronically (last I checked). you also can't pull up anything on the docket without being there in person.

This is the biggest or second biggest courthouse by volume of cases in the USA

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 12, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Wow, thanks guys. Seems we're pretty much in the same boat, only municipal and high court systems are different - one following a legal standard and the other outright asking for it to be ignored in favour of an easier system - and some stuff is mandatory and some stuff is weird, e-filing is possible but needs several steps of authorization and there are still severe limits on size and number of documents.

I shudder to think of the fuckups this system can create, but I'm also hoping for a few cheap wins. As long as I don't gently caress up myself.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Honestly texas is entirely efile now by law, with only the lowest level courts opting out. Any real trial or appellate court mandates efiling, and eservice if pdfs is the norm. Only need process servers for subpoenas and new lawsuits.

I started practice just before efiling was hitting it big. It's insanely cool how much better it is. The only downside, as pointed out, is inability to get documents from the courts themselves. The big counties are good, the small counties are bad.

With as populous as Texas is and with 250 different counties with different systems, the fact that we have it almost figured out is amazing.

Of course, being Texas, the systems were set up by private vendors and they can cost a lot of money....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
California is 100% paper as far as I can tell.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Of course, being Texas, the systems were set up by private vendors and they can cost a lot of money....

Don't forget the county clerks revolting over RACER because they will miss out on $1.00 per copy fees now.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
On a separate note, I have been nominated to serve on the Grievance Committee of the State Bar.

Tremble before my might all ye Texas lawyers.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Russia is like 85% paper
70% paper for commercial courts and 100% paper for non-commercial courts

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

On a separate note, I have been nominated to serve on the Grievance Committee of the State Bar.

Tremble before my might all ye Texas lawyers.

Cool - I'm in legal services to the poor committee.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hello I am probably making a lateral jump into a big firm corporate transactional position (actually a more specific practice area supporting the broader corporate/transactional practice). How dead am I going to be?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Hello I am probably making a lateral jump into a big firm corporate transactional position (actually a more specific practice area supporting the broader corporate/transactional practice). How dead am I going to be?

corporate work at a big firm is feast or famine, from what I understand: you'll go days where you goof off all day, then a week without sleeping, but overall your billables are usually lower than those of the litigators

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The CNMI has all e-filing, but computers are prohibited in courtrooms because it’s disrespectful to the judge.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
hey patent nerds, the supreme court just granted cert on a constitutional challenge against IPRs lol

the us patent system is just so whacky, flipping and flipping at the whims of the courts. definitely my favorite jurisdiction to gawk at (the actual best patent system is Germany)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

How different is LA law from the rest of the nation? Is it just common law draped over a civil code or is it pretty distinct?