Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i'm glad to hear you beat it fridge, seems we have similar tastes in games and Sekiro was just too much for me to handle (gave up around the corrupted monk), your resolve to see this and persona 5 to the end are admirable

Thanks mate. Tbh without your support and the support from others in the playstation threads I dont think I would have had the resolve to see it through to the end. That last boss nearly broke me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fridge corn posted:

Thanks mate. Tbh without your support and the support from others in the playstation threads I dont think I would have had the resolve to see it through to the end. That last boss nearly broke me

You got through him much faster than I did. But I definitely feel your pain. I watched your vid and you even got him differently than I did. I'm at Emma now. Kinda excited to be doing someone new.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Bloodborne is the second worst game in the "Souls series".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

You got through him much faster than I did. But I definitely feel your pain. I watched your vid and you even got him differently than I did. I'm at Emma now. Kinda excited to be doing someone new.

I read your post when you beat him saying how you didnt feel that high about beating him like when you beat Genichiro for the first time, only drained and relieved and I totally get that. I was getting anxious just thinking about fighting that boss and it really is such a relief to have it done.

I'm not gonna do ng+ just yet. I think I'm just gonna chill out with yakuza lad for the time being lol :D

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't like bloodborne much but really it's mostly that I think the whole scenario is just sorta gross and I'm not about that

Yes I do think Sekiro is less gross and I guess that just tells you what I don't feel like hearing about

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gimme some thoughts on Monster Hunter: World. I could use a time waster game right now. The pack with the game + expansion is on sale right now. In the expansion good/important?

To note: I would be playing on PC.
Also note: don't tell me to get Rise, no Switch.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Meme Poker Party posted:

Gimme some thoughts on Monster Hunter: World. I could use a time waster game right now. The pack with the game + expansion is on sale right now. In the expansion good/important?

I found the game dense but boring. Maybe it would've been more fun playing with other people but there's so many drat intricacies to learn, it's got that Japanese game issue of having ten million items and systems to think about which really turned me off. And while the "combat" is sort of fun it kinda becomes rote after a while since there is a "best" way to use each weapon that you just kind of do in a sequence over and over until the monsters' massive health bars are depleted.

Sorry if this wasn't really what you were asking, just giving my thoughts on the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Play posted:

I found the game dense but boring. Maybe it would've been more fun playing with other people but there's so many drat intricacies to learn, it's got that Japanese game issue of having ten million items and systems to think about which really turned me off. And while the "combat" is sort of fun it kinda becomes rote after a while since there is a "best" way to use each weapon that you just kind of do in a sequence over and over until the monsters' massive health bars are depleted.

Sorry if this wasn't really what you were asking, just giving my thoughts on the game.

Hard agree. I kind of had some fun early on when I was learning the best way to use certain things but there’s so much tedium in between monster fights I ended up dropping it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

No that's exactly what I need and why I asked here instead of finding the Games thread.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Monster hunter world is great if it's the only thing you're doing. It has built in prep, find, fight, post-game phases built in.

It's great if you tend to marathon games, but it's terrible if you don't because a lot of your playtime is spent doing things other than hunting monsters.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

satanic splash-back posted:

Monster hunter world is great if it's the only thing you're doing. It has built in prep, find, fight, post-game phases built in.

It's great if you tend to marathon games, but it's terrible if you don't because a lot of your playtime is spent doing things other than hunting monsters.

I found the in-between bits so tedious and slow that I had to give it a pass even though the combat is described as layered and deep and full of variation and challenge.

Just get me to that part and not have me slow walk around the base ship.

So back to PoE or Grim Dong for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meme Poker Party posted:

The expansion is actually a classic videogame expansion in that it adds onto the end of the game after the final boss + credits roll and whatnot.
Iceborne does almost nothing for you until after you've played through all of the base game (although it does add the new clutch claw moves to each weapon's moveset).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Monster Hunter is a game that makes grinding fun. It is all about fighting bigger and stronger poo poo and you go through a cycle of fighting something that kicks your rear end and you kick its rear end back, and eventually you dominate it. Then, you move onto something bigger and stronger. Monster Hunter World has enough contextual elements in fights that it feels very dynamic. There are 14 different weapons, and each of them has a unique playstyle with real depth due to the nature of how fights play out. Being good at the game requires much more than a good build, but preparation is a significant portion of the game, and part of the cycle of dominating a new monster is figuring out what you should be using. Certain monsters punish you severely for not preparing well to fight them, and can be incredibly frustrating. However, that frustration seems to be an intended part of the cycle, and when you do prevail in a particularly frustrating fight, it is one of the satisfying experiences in gaming.

Here is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in Monster Hunter. It came after a 45-minute fight against one of the most annoying monsters in the game, and it was my first time beating it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm-bDo-Un6w When this happened, I dropped my controller and said something along the lines of "YEAH gently caress YOU SHITHEAD"

If you are wanting a game to play every once in a while, and maybe put 20 hours into before you never touch it again, then I suggest against Monster Hunter. If you haven't played Monster Hunter before, and you're willing to give it a shot and another hundred or so hours more if it hooks you, then Monster Hunter World is not a bad bet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

MHW is a really cool game but it was my first monhun game and it was utterly incomprehensible to me until I recieved some vital instruction from some very helpful goons. Also it is fun to play with ur buddies

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

i grew up with nintendo and have stanned hard itt for even the virtual boy but the 64 really was kinda garbage compared to the playstation

it just happened to hit at the right place at the right time for a shitload of people during a weird cultural generational epoch kinda thing

Goldeneye multiplayer (and some other games) basically carried it, the PS1 had nothing at all to compete with them. If you wanted 4 player splitscreen or other fun 4 player games to play on your tv you had to buy a 64 until the next gen.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Unpopular but sincere videogame opinion: timesplitters was a way better local multiplayer fps than Goldeneye, mostly because as a franchise James Bond is surprisingly shite on average and peaked with Goldeneye (the film)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's harder to see in the modern era, but when you popped over to a friends house to play on the actual hardware, the differences where clear. PS1 had cool 'adult' titles like Lara Croft and Solid Snake, while the N64 had some weirdass controller with smash bros, zelda, goldeneye, and mario kart. Pixel pushing and other crap that we see nowadays takes a back seat to what titles you and your fiends where playing.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Serephina posted:

It's harder to see in the modern era, but when you popped over to a friends house to play on the actual hardware, the differences where clear. PS1 had cool 'adult' titles like Lara Croft and Solid Snake, while the N64 had some weirdass controller with smash bros, zelda, goldeneye, and mario kart. Pixel pushing and other crap that we see nowadays takes a back seat to what titles you and your fiends where playing.

i remember being really angry as a kid by stuff like star fox and the ps1 because what i really wanted was for 2d graphics to just keep looking better - i wanted the system that came after the snes to have every game have fluid high res 2d animation (e.g. every game should look like guilty gear or hollow knight, not that i knew what those were when the ps1 came out) I thought star fox looked awful and all the graphics on the ps1 games looked like poo poo (especially the warped, super crappy textures, which i can't stand). the n64 had the first console 3d graphics that i found impressive when they came out.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i remember being really angry as a kid by stuff like star fox and the ps1 because what i really wanted was for 2d graphics to just keep looking better - i wanted the system that came after the snes to have every game have fluid high res 2d animation (e.g. every game should look like guilty gear or hollow knight, not that i knew what those were when the ps1 came out) I thought star fox looked awful and all the graphics on the ps1 games looked like poo poo (especially the warped, super crappy textures, which i can't stand). the n64 had the first console 3d graphics that i found impressive when they came out.

This is ironic because the PS1 was the console that had a bunch of higher res 2D games, while the 64 went all in on the early rear end-3D graphics

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I got Monster Hunter on the switch and one of the first things I did was kill a brontosaurus and it started roaring and screaming and thrashing around on the ground after I killed it. Then I fought a boss monster and I wounded it and it yelled in pain and it tried to run away from me and I had to chase down this wounded limping animal that was minding its own business in its home and kill it.

Yeah, not for me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I got Monster Hunter on the switch and one of the first things I did was kill a brontosaurus and it started roaring and screaming and thrashing around on the ground after I killed it. Then I fought a boss monster and I wounded it and it yelled in pain and it tried to run away from me and I had to chase down this wounded limping animal that was minding its own business in its home and kill it.

Yeah, not for me.

I'd just like to say when i read posts like this that you sound like an utter melt and the monsters in the videogame are not real and don't have real feelings.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Go back to playing mario or animal crossing or whatever nintendo baby lmao gottem

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'd just like to say when i read posts like this that you sound like an utter melt and the monsters in the videogame are not real and don't have real feelings.

As easy as it is to casually dismiss that kind of thing, we don't know why that poster has the reaction they're having. Like sure, it's all fiction but it can still be a reminder. I couldn't manage to play through Danganronpa, and I won't be watching The Hunger Games, and I only finished reading Battle Royale because I forced myself after I started so that I could get closure on it so it wouldn't bug me forever. When my wife watched Orange Is The New Black, I had to put on headphones and avoid looking at the TV. It's all fiction, and much of it is really very silly, but there is a pattern of stuff I won't be subjecting myself to in those pieces of fiction. If you don't get why it can be a problem, then I sort of envy that kind of ignorance. If you do get why it can be a problem and just don't care, then maybe you're just a bad person.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Rude

And also, very wrong -- video games are real. My best friend in real life is Cloud Strife and we are married

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Flannelette posted:

Goldeneye multiplayer (and some other games) basically carried it, the PS1 had nothing at all to compete with them. If you wanted 4 player splitscreen or other fun 4 player games to play on your tv you had to buy a 64 until the next gen.

i got a generic brand multi-tap from the local blockbuster for like ten bucks and to my knowledge it still works, we played four player crash team racing literally all the time

JollyBoyJohn posted:

quit trying to make 'melt' happen

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It's totally fine if you don't like videogame violence and you shouldn't feel ashamed of it. Even if it's not "real" your brain doesn't care if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff. And to be fair, the monsters in MHR do react pretty believably to getting hit and I sometimes do feel sorry for them myself. I think this is part of why the tone is so goofy otherwise with the cat and dog companions and the dango song and so on, MHW in comparison was almost too serious to be fun.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Rockman Reserve posted:

quit trying to make 'melt' happen

It's straight up embarrassing to read

Especially when the other person is trying to style on someone else

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They're monsters and they deserve to be hunted and slain, they have killed children and families

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Somewhat related to that, many (presumably) American posters on other websites (and rarely also here) have a very odd idea of what is "child appropriorate" content for a videogame. I'm exaggerating a bit but I've read posts that are like "My six year old son loved Chainsaw Murder Simulator 2020 and now I want to play Chainsaw Murder Simulator 2021 with him but I've heard that in one of the cutscenes near the end you can see a quarter of a nipple for 1/8th of a second. Will my child be traumatized forever?" This is apparently an Unpopular Videogame Opinion but seeing a boob or hearing the word "gently caress" won't disturb your child. On the other hand, if your game has stylized violence it should only be seen by older kids and if it has "realistic" violence it should not be for children at all.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I feel like melt may just be a uk thing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I had more fun with Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing: Transformed than any Mario Kart game, but I will accept that Mario Kart is a better party game.

Waltzing Along posted:

Sekiro is better than Bloodborne because it looks better, plays better, has better music and isn't jack off material for a bunch of ex-teens who grew up loving sisters of mercy and black lipstick and nightmare before christmas.

You're mixing your subgenres of goth up and I don't care for it.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 15, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Caesar Saladin posted:

They're monsters and they deserve to be hunted and slain, they have killed children and families

Colonialist mindset much? The monsters have more of a right to their ancestral land than all these random murderous foreigners and their stupid loving cat sidekicks.

And I didn't see them killing any children and families in the game. Just assholes who were coming into their cribs and trying to murder them.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thats why you dont kill the monsters. instead you just put them to sleep... they are also worth more materials when tranq'ed

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

Somewhat related to that, many (presumably) American posters on other websites (and rarely also here) have a very odd idea of what is "child appropriorate" content for a videogame. I'm exaggerating a bit but I've read posts that are like "My six year old son loved Chainsaw Murder Simulator 2020 and now I want to play Chainsaw Murder Simulator 2021 with him but I've heard that in one of the cutscenes near the end you can see a quarter of a nipple for 1/8th of a second. Will my child be traumatized forever?" This is apparently an Unpopular Videogame Opinion but seeing a boob or hearing the word "gently caress" won't disturb your child. On the other hand, if your game has stylized violence it should only be seen by older kids and if it has "realistic" violence it should not be for children at all.

We're raised to believe that all sex is dirty but all violence is pretty okay.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Being overly sensitive in life is fine, being overly sensitive about a videogame is a wee bit limp

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nah dude it's okay to walk away from things you don't find enjoyable no matter what they are or what the reason is.

edit: I'm speaking as someone who has crushed many a hooker's skull in GTA

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Nah dude it's okay to walk away from things you don't find enjoyable no matter what they are or what the reason is.

Oh 100% absolutely but then its also ok to find that action funny

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Video game violence isn't a big deal really. The only thing that I've seen that approaches anything more than feeling like a cartoon is Last of Us 2. I think that a 10 year old can play Sekiro if he's not the type who would have nightmares from it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oh 100% absolutely but then its also ok to find that action funny

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Being overly sensitive in life is fine, being overly sensitive about a videogame is a wee bit limp

When I was in 7th grade, if a kid had a tantrum in the school I was in, the faculty would wrap that kid up in some carpet and take them to a tiny concrete cell with a metal door that had a small window in it for observation if they felt like checking in. The kid would be left there for a couple hours to calm down, and if they needed to pee, there was a drain at the bottom of the cell. My childhood had a solid 5 or 6 years of being treated as a prisoner from 7am to 3pm, and any defense from me would only make my situation worse. When I was being transitioned to a normal school, other kids noticed that I didn't fight back, and would do poo poo like punch me across the face, throw a softball-sized ball of modeling clay at me in the hallway from the art class, and so on. I distinctly remember doing some Tactical Stealth Action type poo poo to avoid being caught by groups of kids who wanted to beat the poo poo out of me for fun. The administration had no hopes for my future and would punish me severely for anything I did that they saw as wrong. I have no interest in playing a video game about kids in school being forced by the administration to kill each other or be punished for trying to escape. If you think that this it is "overly sensitive" to not want that reminder in a medium that is designed to deliver experiences from the perspective of the protagonist, then yeah, I'm going with "you're a bad person". Some people have lived through experiences that they don't want to live through again, even if it's conceptually tangential. Some people just have feelings that they can't explain with a distinct cause, but for whatever reason seeing a fictional portrayal of certain things can have them feel things. If someone finds the rape scene in Irreversible to be too much to bear, telling them "it's just a movie" is ridiculously stupid. I take it back, I don't sort of envy that kind of ignorance if you don't understand this.