Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Well the retirement portfolio looks like poo poo but the gambling one is getting pretty interesting.

Hello there Mr. 3x Inverse S&P ETF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

This is probably the quid pro quo for the Fed saying you don’t have to keep any reserves for the time being...

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/1239320269598134274?s=21

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Be really careful guys, this is a very short term but severe disruption and it will be very difficult to trade this market correctly over the next month or two. We know what the virus is at this point, its no longer a mysterious unknown. You can argue whatever you want about “well china shut everyone down” “well south korea tested more” but it really doesn’t matter because its basically stopped spreading in both places. It is following a very typical viral outbreak curve. Yes, it might yoyo a bit, but this isn’t apocalyptic. The only real question now is just how incompetent is the trump admin? Just how poorly can you possibly handle this disruption? Just don’t buy cruise lines and you’ll be ok.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

greasyhands posted:

Be really careful guys, this is a very short term but severe disruption and it will be very difficult to trade this market correctly over the next month or two. We know what the virus is at this point, its no longer a mysterious unknown. You can argue whatever you want about “well china shut everyone down” “well south korea tested more” but it really doesn’t matter because its basically stopped spreading in both places. It is following a very typical viral outbreak curve. Yes, it might yoyo a bit, but this isn’t apocalyptic. The only real question now is just how incompetent is the trump admin? Just how poorly can you possibly handle this disruption? Just don’t buy cruise lines and you’ll be ok.

I just put in a couple of REALLY cheap limit orders to buy stocks and ITM calls. Liquidity will be non-existent tomorrow morning, so there will be some "flash crash" stocks were the order book is wiped and someone walks away with a very cheap fill (unless they break the trade).

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
$WYNN closing for two weeks

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hot take but I think tomorrow's going to be the lowest point drop in history. All the warning signs are there. I don't think a 15% drop is out of the question.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kirios posted:

Hot take but I think tomorrow's going to be the lowest point drop in history. All the warning signs are there. I don't think a 15% drop is out of the question.

This can’t happen. 1987 had a -27% drop. Market just closes at -20%

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I meant from a total point drop, but in terms of percentages you are correct.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

I meant from a total point drop, but in terms of percentages you are correct.
Ummm the 3 largest point drops in the Dow in history were Monday/Wednesday/Thursday

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kirios posted:

If tomorrow's hideous, I'll just buy more stocks. Some of these companies have already lost a decade of share price growth...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A few goons in the D&D thread are saying that Trump is going to make a statement tomorrow night suggesting that everyone should self quarantine for 2 weeks. So, uh, the market probably won't react well to that on Tuesday. If true, of course

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gotta hand it to Trump. He took a solid, solid, solid loving economy/stock market and managed to turn it into a massive dumpster fire in only 3 years. Bush took 7 years to light everything on fire.

At least right now the labor market is really tight but the minute the money men start slashing payroll that’ll shift real quick.

I expect a very, very bad week for the markets man. Gotta liquidate you’re assets to pay for TP.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Agronox posted:

This is probably the quid pro quo for the Fed saying you don’t have to keep any reserves for the time being...

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/1239320269598134274?s=21

Lmfao.

Tighten your monocle dear sirs, we are in for rough times ahead!

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

Lote posted:

$WYNN closing for two weeks

Someone posted about shorting $LVS (Las Vegas Sands) earlier in thread as big exposure to Asia and gambling. I regret not taking that advice.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

It is following a very typical viral outbreak curve. Yes, it might yoyo a bit, but this isn’t apocalyptic.

Well, there is a possibility that with the increase in genetic material out in the world it can have more mutations. Those mutations can increase it's infection rate and in worst case scenarios it's lethality. Although I think that this is unlikely and you probably shouldn't worry about it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

sterster posted:

Well, there is a possibility that with the increase in genetic material out in the world it can have more mutations. Those mutations can increase it's infection rate and in worst case scenarios it's lethality. Although I think that this is unlikely and you probably shouldn't worry about it.

My cousin's wife works for one of the companies that is making tests for the covid19 virus. She said there was documentation of one patient who had a strain that had mutated 5 times in him alone. Also I learned some neat stuff about how they try to sequence and identify flu and corona viruses that have mutated.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

sterster posted:

Thats possible with literally every virus in existence, so covid19’s introduction to humans is nothing but a tiny blip in the probability of a superbug mutation

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Should I be exchanging dollars for something else?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

regular mike posted:

Should I be exchanging dollars for something else?

ammo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No joke what are y’all up to this week?

I’m picking up april/may puts at any whiff of green without a serious reason to back it up, like recovery rates being better than expected or tariff cuts or something. That trump pump I bought some SPY puts solely because that conference was definitely an absurd movie clip from a disaster movie, not a declaration of a national emergency by the President of the United States.

I don’t want to be right, but I’m fairly certain we haven’t hit the bottom.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Im buying oil and hotels, which is something ive never been interested in before but this is showing every single sign of being wildly overblown and its always the sectors that are left for dead that make the wildest comebacks. I might even buy something super boring like HTZ if it gets down to $5 or so. I still don’t think this logic applies to cruise lines for a variety of reasons but i wont make fun of anyone for buying CCL below $10 once it gets there.

java
May 7, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Im buying oil and hotels, which is something ive never been interested in before but this is showing every single sign of being wildly overblown and its always the sectors that are left for dead that make the wildest comebacks. I might even buy something super boring like HTZ if it gets down to $5 or so. I still don’t think this logic applies to cruise lines for a variety of reasons but i wont make fun of anyone for buying CCL below $10 once it gets there.

If MAR gets below $60, I'm following suit.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

java posted:

If MAR gets below $60, I'm following suit.

I think thats a good number and marriot has excellent upper management. I should clarify that im *looking* to buy those things, im waiting on the execution with the exception of adding a little CPLG (and OXY on tomorrows almost inevitable dip) and i may pick up some AAWW on the collapse of passenger airline cargo space- they should be able to feast on that, but are being treated as if they have no potential benefit in this environment. That and SAVE are the only airlines im considering right now and ill probably wait for single digits on SAVE

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 16, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm an idiot nvm

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m still long on Nintendo. ACNH gonna print money baby!!!! Video game number go up!!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think AAPL is gonna blow everyone’s tits off with this poo poo. Digital sales are so hot right now AND they have enough cash to see them through any credit problems. Plus they do deliveries anyways.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

I think AAPL is gonna blow everyone’s tits off with this poo poo. Digital sales are so hot right now AND they have enough cash to see them through any credit problems. Plus they do deliveries anyways.

Idk, I regret not throwing some puts in for them. They're closing all stores for a couple weeks at the least - that's got to effect their bottom line for at least this quarter.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Is there a list of banks for whom the Fed has reduced reserve requirements for 0?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

greasyhands posted:

I think thats a good number and marriot has excellent upper management. I should clarify that im *looking* to buy those things, im waiting on the execution with the exception of adding a little CPLG (and OXY on tomorrows almost inevitable dip) and i may pick up some AAWW on the collapse of passenger airline cargo space- they should be able to feast on that, but are being treated as if they have no potential benefit in this environment. That and SAVE are the only airlines im considering right now and ill probably wait for single digits on SAVE

Of the legacy 5, I think DAL is the best equipped / positioned to weather this, get beat the gently caress up and walk out the other side mostly intact. It's always been a bit of a trading (quarterly-ish) stock since 2017, just unknown when they'll return to Q1 2020 levels. HA has got to die or get eaten on the other side of this, probably from someone who wants their slots and has cash. Delta is weaker than the others in APAC I think, so maybe they'll eat them. Just feels like it's culling time for the herd.

On the semi-side, I want to stock more ASML, CDNS, SNPS, XLNX outside of the usual suspects. Specific chip-makers too — SLAB and ADI. MAXR is the only space company to touch at this point and even that's a shaky one.

Fake edit: https://hub.united.com/2020-03-15-a-message-from-oscar-munoz-and-scott-kirby-2645495847.html United is now half sized, basically

movax fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 16, 2020

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I literally met a MAXR management guy in a bar in Vancouver one night and bought the stock based off my conversation with him(still have his card in my wallet). Unfortunately it was on the way down in ‘18 and i bought at like $12, got out when it hit 8 because i really didnt know much about it... watched it go to like $3 and then up to $21 or whatever.... now its back around $10 and its clear to me thats a mad moneymaker trading stock that no one pays attention to.

DAL is undoubtedly the best of the legacies, but i dont want anything to do with any of them- theyre all just time bombs imho and i think big money backing ULCCs is eventually going to figure out how to beat them with a much lower cost structure- ignoring whats going on right now, whic is very hard to predict how it will affect them.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 16, 2020

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

A few goons in the D&D thread are saying that Trump is going to make a statement tomorrow night suggesting that everyone should self quarantine for 2 weeks. So, uh, the market probably won't react well to that on Tuesday. If true, of course

This type of stuff is spreading like wildfire via my text chains with coworkers.

The US has been incrementally moving towards a national lockdown over the past week by floating it out as a hypothesis, social distancing, etc.

First it was no social gatherings of 1000+, then 100+, now bars and clubs are closed, almost all schools are, etc.

If they'd come right out of the gate and locked us down...with 500m+ guns in circulation, poo poo could have gotten out of hand really quickly. At this point, though, everyone thinks they're an expert and parrots what they read on social media to the point that some of my co-workers were dropping terms like "flattening the curve" with a big :smug: face. The same coworkers that didn't give a poo poo about this 2 weeks ago or even knew what it was other than, durrr, it has Corona in it.

Two separate people in our text chain posted that their "friends and family in LE and the military" are warning them to be ready for a national lockdown starting tomorrow.

Whether or not that's true, we'll see. I don't personally think it will be happening tomorrow. If it does happen I'd bet anything it's at 4:00:01pm EST.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Premarket is trading at -8.5%

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Lote posted:

Premarket is trading at -8.5%

Oof

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Tesla down 13% in early premarket trading. Wynn down 17%

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats to anyone who managed to buy puts before close on Friday. Feels like another circuit breaker kind of day.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I sold up in Feb and have been shorting the pound against Euro/USD since. We (the UK) are extremely asset poor and I'm fairly certain we're going to suffer a lot more than our European contemporaries. My only regret is taking short term gains on USD/GBP instead of holding and buying big 4 when they're a bargain

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

50x shorts on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash, and 3x on Ethereum since midnight.
Woke up and they're down 10% :shobon::coffee:, expecting another 20% drop today at least. We're pegged to the stock market now

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

HOLY poo poo AS I WAS TYPING THAT BITCOIN DROPPED FROM 4850 TO 4600

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

4500 just took profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003