Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doesn't someone in Majula sell a ring that reduces fall damage? It's expensive but I remember seeing it during the little bit of the game I played.

Aye it's the cat I believe.

Uhh so I may have not finished No Man's Wharf and just proceeded through the Lost Bastille without touching it, any reason I should head back?

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

There's also the Fall Control spell.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Uhh so I may have not finished No Man's Wharf and just proceeded through the Lost Bastille without touching it, any reason I should head back?

You'll miss out on meeting Gavlan, which is a grave mistake.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Aye it's the cat I believe.

Souls, a boss(that you probably already saw in Sinner's Rise as a normal enemy) and a Lucatiel summon sign, a crystal lizard and the first sorcery trainer is there. Oh, and Gavlan who you can sell stuff to and buy poison related consumables from.

Sorry for getting you killed down that pit!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There are also cat pants that reduce fall damage. Cat ring + cat pants are my go to.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

HGH posted:

Note I don't actually have anything against shields I'm just way too lazy to rebind my keys to use one(I guess you could call me a controller elitist instead) so I'm going Mace+Wand with Fire Longsword/MLGS as a backup for switching.

Is there a weapon that works good for blocking now that I think of it? Other than the enchanted MLGS blocking all magic I think?

Most ultragreatswords are decent at blocking. The fume knight ultragreatsword is intended to work as both a sword and shield, and even has a move that blocks while attacking. But I've never used it because getting it requires choosing between that and fume sword, and fume sword may not be amazing, but it's a serious contender for the most stylish weapon in the entire game.

Does anyone try to summon for frozen outskirts? I'm not sure where to put my sign. I actually like fighting the reindeer, but I've only managed to get summoned twice by the same guy, and everyone got separated (I kept hanging back to fight reindeer while everyone else dashed ahead, first time I got killed by double reindeer, second time the host died far away while I was fighting one) so the runs didn't even get to the boss. I would really enjoy that area if the reindeer spawn points were clear, it were much smaller so that you didn't have to look up on the wiki that you should run towards the sun and slightly to the right and the boss at the end didn't completely suck.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doesn't someone in Majula sell a ring that reduces fall damage? It's expensive but I remember seeing it during the little bit of the game I played.

There's also a dude in No Man's Wharf who sells the spell that let's you ignore fall damage for minimal int investment.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Don't ornifex and the guy in iron keep sell that spell? I remember it becoming available much later than it really should.

Edit: It's a surprisingly good spell, though and makes a number of areas easier if you use it well. It's one of the reasons that, same as with DS1, I don't like dedicated sorcerers, but light int investment gives you quite a lot of versatility and power.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I keep thinking Carhillion's the one who does but I guess I'm wrong. It's still like 10 minutes of ignoring falls for little effort.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

HGH posted:

Sorry for getting you killed down that pit!
Ah I did that when I first entered majula and as with any possible risk that this/these games present I spent all my souls before checking if I could make it.

I just haven't bothered mustering up the souls for the ring and I feel like there's gonna be some other/easier way down there later.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Golden Goat posted:

Oh cool let me just...

I think I need something to break my fall.

I've been playing the game so far without a build in mind other then to try all the weapons. Like so far most weapons are effective, just some more then others (Craftsman's Hammer is weirdly powerful).
...aren't you already wearing the fall control ring, judging from your buff symbol? I swear to God I will never figure out how that pit works. Speedrunners jump down there asap and I have no idea how they survive.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Not my gif, I was just making a joke.

Double checked that fall damage is fixed and apparently the drop into the well even with Silvercat ring can still kill you if you don't have enough health.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Ekster posted:

Shields get in the way of two-handing the biggest weapon you can find.

That's why I keep the Watchdragon Parma on my back. Item find bonus, none of those pesky actual shield use problems.

Okay, so I had to poke arounda wiki to find a ring that increased spell damage. That's how little attention I gave to magic in this game until now. Found that one existed in Brume, basically a single elevator from the Fume Knight.

To avoid feeling true and total shame, I picked up the Agape ring and ran around dying constantly in Brume Tower avoiding most combat. Can't get upset over spilt milk I never saw poured. That one guy a few weeks ago wasn't kidding about the magic/dark defense in the DLC--holy loving poo poo, I'm lobbing spitballs from a cracked straw at the school bully while he's punching me already.

Snagged the ring, cashed in my soul cache to grind a few levels, and took out the Ancient Dragon and Vendrick. 5 giant souls required if you want the fight over before DS3 comes out. Losing interest in the DLC area without a respec to physical damage.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

Snagged the ring, cashed in my soul cache to grind a few levels, and took out the Ancient Dragon and Vendrick. 5 giant souls required if you want the fight over before DS3 comes out. Losing interest in the DLC area without a respec to physical damage.

Magic ice rapier. It drops from the first enemy you encounter in Eleum Loyce and it absolutely destroys anything that looks at you funny. Pair it with a raw blue flame in power stance and buff them both for an incredible moveset and batshit damage. Wear sorcery clutch ring, ring of blades, flynn's ring and the old leo ring. You can annihilate the big hammer fire shoulder assholes in Brume Tower with one flurry of something like R1, L1, R1, R2 as long as your timing is good and you land them all as counter hits. It's the highest raw DPS I've ever seen so far in the game and on a very versatile and powerful moveset to boot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zophar posted:

I'm trying to grind up Sunlight Medals to reach Rank 3, and I'm trying to figure out where the best place to go co-oping with a soul memory of 6.4 million. Any tips?

So, something I've been wondering -- how does SM work/make sense for matchmaking, anyways? It's based on total souls collected, right? So if I have an SM of 1M because I kept grinding up souls and then dying stupidly and never actually leveled up or upgraded my equipment, will I be getting matched with people who have SM 1M and sank all of it into stats and +n equipment?

Charles Bukowski posted:

Anyone else find they just get much better at the game when they aren't using a shield? Everything is faster, more dynamic and aggressive without hiding behind one. Really learning about i-frames and what you can pull off is so great.

That was definitely my experience with Dark Souls 1; I tried sword & board to begin with because so many people recommended it, but found it honestly kind of boring. Rerolled, dropped the shield in favour of two-handing a greatsword and had a much better time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

So, something I've been wondering -- how does SM work/make sense for matchmaking, anyways? It's based on total souls collected, right? So if I have an SM of 1M because I kept grinding up souls and then dying stupidly and never actually leveled up or upgraded my equipment, will I be getting matched with people who have SM 1M and sank all of it into stats and +n equipment?

Yep! It's an entirely stupid way of gauging player strength for precisely this reason.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just entered the shrine of amana and I've heard bad things about this place - but I don't know what precisely makes it obnoxious. What do I need to look out for?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

double nine posted:

I just entered the shrine of amana and I've heard bad things about this place - but I don't know what precisely makes it obnoxious. What do I need to look out for?
have a bow

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

double nine posted:

There's three very specific things that make Shrine of Amana a big headache:

1) The Shrine Maidens will fire off Homing Soul Arrows continually at you from quite long ranges. Closing in on them can be challenging, especially if you're wading through water, and there's a few spots where you can have 2-3 of them firing at you at once.

2) Death water. For whatever reason, there are certain parts where the completely level floor just drops off into a death pit, which is hidden by the water above. You either have to squint very carefully at your screen to try and figure out where the drops are, or carry a torch around (since the lighting difference between the pit and the ground makes it easier to spot them).

3) Archdrake Priests. They move at warp speed, are unaffected by water, have an insanely damaging combo that will stagger you in anything less than Havel's, and there's two of them at the very end of the long middle part of Shrine, along with several Maidens.

The best advice I can give is to clear out Maidens/pull Archdrakes with a bow. You can just charge the Maidens, but it's tricky and is something better left to future playthroughs when you're more confident with the system.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Be aware that the Archdrakes have a nasty three-hit combo where every hit stuns you for a second and it does a lot of damage. If two of you hit you with the combo at once you're dead, full stop, because you just get stunlocked and that's it. And yeah, whenever you're wandering around in the water be sure to do so slowly and cautiously so you don't fall into a death pit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The "best" way to deal with Archdrakes that I found was to block all of their attacks with a 100% Physical shield (there's one you can buy from MacDuff that requires very low Strength), and then counter once they finished swinging. Make sure you've either got a weapon that will stagger them with every hit, or are wearing the Stone Ring. Lure them out one-by-one with a ranged weapon. The final two can be bottlenecked into the hut so that you're only fighting one of them at once, which is what I recommend.

Golden Goat posted:

I just haven't bothered mustering up the souls for the ring and I feel like there's gonna be some other/easier way down there later.

You can survive the initial fall with a certain amount of max HP and as close to 0% encumbrance as possible, even without the Silvercat Ring or Fall Control. You should be able to make it with around 15 VIT, the Blue Seal, and the Life Ring from FoFG. Unequip everything else except for those items and follow the platforms down. You will need to heal up a little, so bring some Lifegems or an Estus with around 3 charges.

The final leap down from the cave midway down can be tricky. I recommend getting as close to the edge as possible and then slowly tapping S while walking until you eventually fall off. You want to aim to fall off as close to the edge as possible so that you'll land on the platform directly below it.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Amana isn't that bad. Only the random deaths from dropping off invisible, underwater cliffs feel particularly bullshit. You can avoid those almost everywhere (almost!) by paying attention to the terrain. Space in between islands is solid ground and anything with plants is safe Most areas with ruined stones are safe as well, but they threw in a few "gotchas", so just because you see a pillar nearby, don't think you can walk around it safely.

The priestesses are easily handled with a bow. If you insist on melee, you can dodge their attacks just by walking sideways. Go slowly and constantly press the lockon button to make sure there aren't things lurking in the water and be wary of falls.

The archdrakes are awful if you're unprepared or if you rush into a group of them, but I'm pretty sure you can handle them easily by dodging backwards as soon as they attack, regardless of which attack they do. Their recovery is long enough that you can kill them before they have a chance to attack again. That doesn't help if you're fighting more than one at a time, but at that point, standard tactics apply: back away and try to bait one into rushing you while the other is some distance away, then quickly kill the first and dodge the second. The best strategy is to pull them with a bow. If you're a dex build, you can use the black bow that you should have found in Drangleic castle. A +10 black bow makes Amana into a joke. Any long range weapon will work, though, just not as quickly or efficiently.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

You can survive the initial fall with a certain amount of max HP and as close to 0% encumbrance as possible, even without the Silvercat Ring or Fall Control. You should be able to make it with around 15 VIT, the Blue Seal, and the Life Ring from FoFG. Unequip everything else except for those items and follow the platforms down. You will need to heal up a little, so bring some Lifegems or an Estus with around 3 charges.

The final leap down from the cave midway down can be tricky. I recommend getting as close to the edge as possible and then slowly tapping S while walking until you eventually fall off. You want to aim to fall off as close to the edge as possible so that you'll land on the platform directly below it.
Do I absolutely have to go down there the moment I can? Is there something great down there?

100% Honestly asking.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

You have to go down there eventually, but not any time soon. One of the DLC areas is down there (possibly my favorite area in the game), and that area has some really cool equipment in it, especially for dex builds or characters with fast weapons. But the DLC will murder you if you don't have either very good equipment or a good sense of how the game works or both. And getting there isn't trivial either.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

But the DLC will murder you if you don't have either very good equipment or a good sense of how the game works or both. And getting there isn't trivial either.
Is it clear when I hit the DLC or will I just know when i'm having my rear end handed to me?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

It will be exceedingly clear. You can't even get in without a key that you have to go out of your way to find.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Is it clear when I hit the DLC or will I just know when i'm having my rear end handed to me?

The entrances to the DLC areas are quite distinct and require keys to enter, you'll 100% know when you enter them

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
On-going first run of SotFS:

God, the gut-wrenching pain of accidentally stabbing my little torch buddy to death while dealing with some pirates in No-man's Wharf. I forced myself to light the giant brazier in his honor.

Doing my first-ever plain old quality build, mixing it up between long sword/bastard sword and mostly forgoing a shield. Swearing off magic entirely, though I'll probably keep a bow around for utility.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yes. Why they didn't just base it around "souls used" instead of "souls earned" I have no loving clue. It's my least favorite aspect of DS2 and Agape Ring is a band-aid solution.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:whatup:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Deified Data posted:

On-going first run of SotFS:

God, the gut-wrenching pain of accidentally stabbing my little torch buddy to death while dealing with some pirates in No-man's Wharf. I forced myself to light the giant brazier in his honor.

Is this the hollow stuck behind some boxes on the ground level? Does he help you? I never trusted him to not sneak up on me so I killed him. Did I murder a friendly zombie?!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

Is this the hollow stuck behind some boxes on the ground level? Does he help you? I never trusted him to not sneak up on me so I killed him. Did I murder a friendly zombie?!

Yes! He's a gentle soul who will follow you around the area and scare off the Cloverfields for you.

Just be sure to keep him behind you lest he suffer the same fate as mine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wildtortilla posted:

There are also cat pants that reduce fall damage. Cat ring + cat pants are my go to.

Lion Warrior anything seems to reduce fall damage, even their headwear, which is just some chains they drape over their face.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Yes! He's a gentle soul who will follow you around the area and scare off the Cloverfields for you.

Just be sure to keep him behind you lest he suffer the same fate as mine.

Oh my god I'm a monster :suicide:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh my god I'm a monster :suicide:

Me too. :(

I guess it makes sense in retrospect. He's the same kind of undead that'll follow you into the undead crypt with a light source and ruin everyone's day.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Kiggles posted:

Ignoring all else, your biggest problem is basically the Mace. It is a terrible PvP weapon. Otherwise, you need more Vigor. You're going to get hit, and healing is hard to come by in PvP, nevermind risky in any event. If you're actively looking to PvP get vigor to 50. 40 is "OK".

You can make most weapons work with enough attention to moveset (your and your opponent's weapons), but Mace is just especially bad. I have better luck with dual daggers than I do maces. If you REALLY want to run a mace build, I would recommend poising up, and powerstancing two maces. Basically just trade hits, using the powerstances strong attack. Be careful of running/rolling attacks (they always stagger). Be careful of thrusting weapons - they tend to have high counter modifiers, further augmented by old leo ring. Be careful of katanas for both of the above reasons.

I've changed a fair bit since then and now I have a full set of Vengarl armor and a Chaos Rapier for PvP...except apparently when it's uninfused and just +1 it's hot garbage and can't really punish chuggers, I'm thinking I'm going to need heavier weapons for that since Lloyd's talismans absolutely suck now?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, I always killed that hollow :smith:

But then, I kill them really fast, like the jerks that will sound the bells on the undead crypt and spawn more enemies because again, they're jerks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
He just wants to fill your dark soul with LIIIIIGHT

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wait wtf??? That hollow is friendly? How have I not noticed this after three playthroughs?

I'm so sorry, sweet and gentle hollow.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

That's why I keep the Watchdragon Parma on my back. Item find bonus, none of those pesky actual shield use problems.

Okay, so I had to poke arounda wiki to find a ring that increased spell damage. That's how little attention I gave to magic in this game until now. Found that one existed in Brume, basically a single elevator from the Fume Knight.

To avoid feeling true and total shame, I picked up the Agape ring and ran around dying constantly in Brume Tower avoiding most combat. Can't get upset over spilt milk I never saw poured. That one guy a few weeks ago wasn't kidding about the magic/dark defense in the DLC--holy loving poo poo, I'm lobbing spitballs from a cracked straw at the school bully while he's punching me already.

I did a magic only run a while back and I even did the DLCs early for some very unnecessary extra challenge, I wanted to reach Vendrick for the first time having all three crowns. I can't remember how I did it except through sheer force of willpower. I had to relearn Fume Knight because for some reason all the timings and positions I learned fight him melee were no longer effective. I think that was the toughest fight for me. Elana was just a matter of getting good RNG, and killing all the Ivory King's minions was more difficult than he was. I found Dark Orb and Dark Hail to be my most useful spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Quality greatsword users - do you prefer to invest in the bastard sword or the claymore? This is being considered alongside the Sun Sword.