Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Ducati is nice and that you only have to be 21 to demo bikes. BMW here in Omaha wouldn't let me demo their S1000RR because I wasn't 25 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The TW broke the master link yesterday and left me by the side of the road out in the country. Fortunately lots of other motorcycles were going past to stop and help. Oh wait, no they didn't, not even other dualsports :mad:

You bastards!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Ducati is nice and that you only have to be 21 to demo bikes. BMW here in Omaha wouldn't let me demo their S1000RR because I wasn't 25 yet.

Ride west BMW let me take their S1000RR for almost 3 hours and 150 miles. Ducati has let me ride just about every bike they make. KTM was cool with me taking out the 690 SMC. Suzuki/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha haven't let me test ride poo poo. It's so silly.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Guess I know where I'm going next summer on my two week tour back to Colorado, down to Phoenix, Over to California, then up to Seattle. How was the BMW? I've never ridden a real liter bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah come out for a visit :)

I wrote up a report on the bike somewhere, think it was this thread.

Basically:

Underwhelming and amazing at the same time
Cockpit is nice, bike has a nice finish, still feels sort of 'cheap' yet solid. Been spending a lot of time on Italian bikes I guess.
The power... takes a while to come on (as an I4 will) and then its just absolutely brutal. The 3rd gear pull from 50 MPH to HOLY loving CHRIST WHATS HAPPENING is inexplainable.
Traction control is like cheating, ABS is like cheating, go into a corner as hot as you want, brake as hard as you want, huck it in, get all on the power, let the bike sort it out. Just don't forget you turned the electronics off before you do this.

The ABS felt kind of funky, hard to explain but I wasn't blown away by it. I found myself hoping I could turn it down or turn it off.

The TC is a bit stupid as well, the anti-wheelie is retarded and constantly fucks with you while your on the power even in race mode, letting the wheel skip a few inches into the air, shutting it down, and then starting over. Feels really weird.

Not having a way to adjust the TC and ABS aside from changing engine modes is stupid in my opinion. I found myself just turning them off and having a great time.

It would be an amazing track bike but you'll never stretch it on the street, ever. Ultimately, I liked it, was impressed by it and if I was shopping for a I4 liter bike it would be at the top of my list, but it didn't blow me away like I thought it would and was a little quirkier than I expected. Honestly if I had the money in hand, I'd probably think really hard about it, sit on one, talk to the sales man, pick out the color I wanted, and then at the last minute leave and buy an RSV4.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Guess I know where I'm going next summer on my two week tour back to Colorado, down to Phoenix, Over to California, then up to Seattle. How was the BMW? I've never ridden a real liter bike.

I discovered driving from Nevada back to here is pretty awesome (minus everything after Denver to Omaha)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lancemantis posted:

It's made for Ducatis and it's CF, do you really need to ask questions?

Seriously, CF is to Ducatis what chrome is to Harleys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sloppy posted:

The TW broke the master link yesterday and left me by the side of the road out in the country. Fortunately lots of other motorcycles were going past to stop and help. Oh wait, no they didn't, not even other dualsports :mad:

You bastards!

Every time I stop to see if someone pulled off the road is OK, they always seem super weirded out by the fact that I stopped to check on them. Usually by the time they've said they're ok, and I'm ready to take off, they figure out what just happened, and get the "biker comradery" that just occured and I get a "ride safe" or something similar.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

Every time I stop to see if someone pulled off the road is OK, they always seem super weirded out by the fact that I stopped to check on them. Usually by the time they've said they're ok, and I'm ready to take off, they figure out what just happened, and get the "biker comradery" that just occured and I get a "ride safe" or something similar.

I stopped yesterday for a guy in the shoulder looking at his engine. He gave me a big smile and told me his bike was fine and said thanks. Lucky him if he did have trouble, I was on the way back from the junkyard picking parts for my car and I had a full set of tools in the saddlebags.

The most :unsmith: stop for a stranded biker I've had I was in my car. Stopped for two guys crouched next to a strange looking bike on the shoulder. I had a full set of tools in the trunk and oddly enough the bike turned out to be a weird KZ650 (with GPZ750 engine swapped in) custom crazy bike that was on its first test run and had a very loose stator. After helping him fix his bike he gave me his card and offered me the stock engine that he swapped out for my own KZ650 if I ever needed it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I thought everybody knew that "helmet on the ground behind bike at edge of shoulder" means "need assistance", whereas sitting on a rock talking on your phone or standing a few meters away facing a bush means "I'm fine, no need to stop".

if I can, I usually slow down and give the guy a nod/thumbs up to see if he needs help but the helmet thing is a lot more straightforward.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Linedance posted:

I thought everybody knew that "helmet on the ground behind bike at edge of shoulder" means "need assistance", whereas sitting on a rock talking on your phone or standing a few meters away facing a bush means "I'm fine, no need to stop".

I've never heard that in my life! Can a few others confirm?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've read the same thing about helmet placement.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think they mention it in the official MTO (ministry of transport Ontario) motorcycle license handbook.

I think it's international though, because it worked for me when my own chain broke and I was stranded on the side of the A3 here in the UK.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 23, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Linedance posted:

Can you clarify that placement? It sounds like you mean putting it on the outside of the bike, so the bike is between it and the traffic, which would seem to make it difficult to spot by passers by?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Can you clarify that placement? It sounds like you mean putting it on the outside of the bike, so the bike is between it and the traffic, which would seem to make it difficult to spot by passers by?

no like, if you are broke down on the shoulder, you put your helmet on the ground at (near) the edge of the shoulder and road behind your bike, like where you'd put one of those safety triangles.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Never heard of it in Australia, but I think I've seen it mentioned on international forums maybe.

I saw the expendables today, and the first thing I noticed during the big tough guy motorbike entrance was the the massive chicken strips on the Ducati.
I need to get out more :(.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

The helmet between the bike and road thing was specifically mentioned in my MSF course by the instructor. I'd never heard of such a thing but he insisted it was "common knowledge."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is the first I'm hearing of the helmet placement thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've heard it in passing mentioned either between the bike and road, right by the rear tire, whatever.

I just slow down, make eye contact and make sure they're ok with a quick thumbs up, if I get anything but the thumbs up back, I'll pull over. The whole helmet thing is just too random.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

well now you know, if you see a bike pulled over and a helmet by the side of the road when it should be on a head or mirror other normal place you'd put a helmet, it means the guy needs some kind of assistance.

Z3n posted:

I've heard it in passing mentioned either between the bike and road, right by the rear tire, whatever.

I just slow down, make eye contact and make sure they're ok with a quick thumbs up, if I get anything but the thumbs up back, I'll pull over. The whole helmet thing is just too random.

thing is, when you're on the motorway in traffic, slowing down for confirmation isn't always an option. You need to have made the decision to stop before you get to the guy, otherwise you'll be too far past by the time you've processed what's going on.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

thing is, when you're on the motorway in traffic, slowing down for confirmation isn't always an option. You need to have made the decision to stop before you get to the guy, otherwise you'll be too far past by the time you've processed what's going on.

If I see someone pulled over, I always try and stop. It's like 5 seconds to make sure they're ok and maybe all they need is a phone or a quick hand with something. They may also be fine. I'd say about 50% of the time they've already got help on the way.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
So the stupid pivot bolt for my gear shifter fell out when I went to put the bike in neutral while parking at work. The hole in the footpeg bracket where the pivot bolt mounts stripped out. Naturally I am a few weeks out of warranty on the bike. loving $87 for the bracket and bolt, cause like gently caress I'm going to reuse the bolt and find out later that it was the cause of the mounting hole striping out. $10 bolt, I need to be in the bolt making business.

I guess I should look on the bright side and be thankful that it fell out once I was stopped at my destination instead of on the road somewhere. Still, really wish I didn't have to cash in that favor with my father-in-law who came over from his work 40 miles away with his truck and drove me home another 60 miles away before making the trip back to his house.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I wish someone pulled over for me here in Seattle. Motherfuckers wouldn't even let me cross the road to get onto the shoulder until I ran in front of a speeding minivan after 5 minutes of hanging onto my bike on a 6" median strip right next to a divider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

So the stupid pivot bolt for my gear shifter fell out when I went to put the bike in neutral while parking at work. The hole in the footpeg bracket where the pivot bolt mounts stripped out. Naturally I am a few weeks out of warranty on the bike. loving $87 for the bracket and bolt, cause like gently caress I'm going to reuse the bolt and find out later that it was the cause of the mounting hole striping out. $10 bolt, I need to be in the bolt making business.

I guess I should look on the bright side and be thankful that it fell out once I was stopped at my destination instead of on the road somewhere. Still, really wish I didn't have to cash in that favor with my father-in-law who came over from his work 40 miles away with his truck and drove me home another 60 miles away before making the trip back to his house.

Helicoil wasn't an option? And yeah, OEM cost on bolts is a whole bucket full of pain. That's the part of my project bikes I never want to tally up...how many bolts i got absolutely loving screwed on.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

how many bolts i got absolutely loving screwed on.

:rimshot:

What's the bolt like? Does it have a weird ultrafine metric thread or a goofy shoulder on it or something? You probably already know this but if you live in or near a major center you can probably find a bolt supply house that can fill one-off orders for most fasteners.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dubs posted:

I saw the expendables today, and the first thing I noticed during the big tough guy motorbike entrance was the the massive chicken strips on the Ducati.
I need to get out more :(.

I didn't notice the chicken strips, probably because they had a pillion passenger on a loving D16. Gotta feel sorry for the stuntwoman who had to do that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phy posted:

:rimshot:

What's the bolt like? Does it have a weird ultrafine metric thread or a goofy shoulder on it or something? You probably already know this but if you live in or near a major center you can probably find a bolt supply house that can fill one-off orders for most fasteners.

This is what I do. There is this run down shack of place called Facca fasteners nearby and despite being the size of a bathroom they always manage to produce a bags and bags of the exotic metric bolts I need.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My local hardware store has an entire aisle of metric fasteners. I basically live there.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

Helicoil wasn't an option?

Nope. The mounting boss looked like a gravel road inside from all of the aluminum bits in it.

Phy posted:

What's the bolt like? Does it have a weird ultrafine metric thread or a goofy shoulder on it or something?

92002 in that picture. It has an allen head, goofy shoulder, and weird threads. The mounting bracket for the footrest is what it bolts in to and is what stripped out. I didn't want to chance just buying the mounting bracket and finding out that the bolt was manufactured wrong and that's why it stripped out of the boss.

I'll be sure to apply a liberal amount of blue threadlocker to the bastard when it gets replaced.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I desperately need to see part 90210.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KARMA! posted:

I desperately need to see part 90210.

It has big tits, but is apparently a complete bitch to all the other parts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How's this for a boot shot?

On top of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Besseggen

Been on some really interesting roads this trip.

It's not over yet, ride report will appear in due time. Probably not as thorough as past ones because I've been riding the ride instead of riding the ride report. Know what I mean?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah riding the ride is why i never have loving pictures for any of my ride reports! Have fun, stay safe :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Yeah riding the ride is why i never have loving pictures for any of my ride reports! Have fun, stay safe :)

This

Good to see you back out there, Ola

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ola posted:

It's not over yet, ride report will appear in due time. Probably not as thorough as past ones because I've been riding the ride instead of riding the ride report. Know what I mean?

Amazing. Stay cool, that cow could be a cleverly disguised police radar gun.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

gently caress the Katana. That cow looks like it's got mad horsepowers. Mount the Katana wheels on it and ride it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I don't really know if I would ever use it (gasoline smell? just to name one)...but I want this just because
http://gizmodo.com/5623607/a-tent-for-you-your-friend-and-your-motorcycle

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't really know if I would ever use it (gasoline smell? just to name one)...but I want this just because
http://gizmodo.com/5623607/a-tent-for-you-your-friend-and-your-motorcycle

Buy it and use it for your cow then?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oooooooooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does that say 800??