Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Beerios posted:

Not really, it just looks that way because the 50/1.2's body is loving huge compared to its slower brethren.

I guess it's not fair to compare a lens with a focus motor to manual focus lenses but I just love the look of a little bit of metal surrounding a whole lot of glass.

Viso III Mount for Canon 50mm f/0.95 by Stephen @ Lee, on Flickr

Olympus OM 55mm f/1.2 Zuiko Auto-S by Taz Spin, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Looking up the specs for X100 is a little bit like finally sitting down and watching this movie your friend has been harping on about for months and discovering there's just a little bit too much rape in it.

I mean, I love almost everything about it, the idea, the concept, the aesthetic, all very nice, but what's up with the lens? Why would they give you a fixed lens on a $1000+ camera. Also I do get it, I get why they think that's a good idea, and I get why people are buying it but in the end, honestly, it's like someone saying "buy the 50mm F/1.8 it's the perfect focal length". Technology moves on and then they put it in a lovely retro case.

Also, on a side but relatively important note, there's really no good photos out there taken by it. Why didn't Fujifilm get a professional photographer or even, for gently caress sakes, some guy with a cool job like window washer or some poo poo, just to take the camera to town for a few days and snap some shots off. I visited their sample gallery on Fujifilm.com and I scrolled to the bottom, then back to the top, and then to the bottom again and then put my laptop down and went and made a really strong cordial to wash down the bile.

I light fires
May 12, 2001
Not to discount your ideas of someone with a cool job taking photos but I have actually worked as a high rise window cleaner and there are only three interesting photo opportunities afforded to you by that job.

1. birds trying to poop on you
2. old ugly naked people
2a. having gross but acrobatic sex
3. freaking cats out

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

A picture of your penis with urine coming out and cascading down down down to a busy city street.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helmacron posted:

A picture of your penis with urine coming out and cascading down down down to a busy city street.

Didn't you ever wonder how they managed to keep the bucket filled up there?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

spog posted:

Didn't you ever wonder how they managed to keep the bucket filled up there?

True story if you drop liquid from that kind of height it comes down as a fine, aromatic vapour.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Helmacron posted:

I mean, I love almost everything about it, the idea, the concept, the aesthetic, all very nice, but what's up with the lens?

Also, on a side but relatively important note, there's really no good photos out there taken by it. Why didn't Fujifilm get a professional photographer or even, for gently caress sakes, some guy with a cool job like window washer or some poo poo, just to take the camera to town for a few days and snap some shots off.

On the lens bit, it's 2 things. first, it'd be near impossible to design a removeable 35mm f/2 equivalent lens with autofocus at that size. It *would* be larger, and one of the nicest bits about it is how small and light it is. Second, coming up with a lens line and lens mount is expensive. Much more R&D costs than just making a fixed lens camera. Many people believe that they will follow the Hexar example. They made the Hexar AF, an exact digital equivalent to the X100, a fixed 35mm f2 autofocus film camera. It sold like hotcakes, and they introduced the Hexar RF which could take different lenses. There are already rumors of an X200 with a 24/28mm fixed lens and much more pocketable like an olympus XA, and the X300 which would basically be the X100 but with changeable lenses.

For the photo example side, your guess is as good as mine. It was so weird to see such a great marketing push with the website, then they didn't go and get a few fantastic 35mm shooters to fill out the gallery. Leica did a near perfect job with that black boxer (cuban?) and his girlfriend for the M9 launch.

Having said all that, I love mine, and you can have it when I'm dead, because I love it. The image quality is fantastic, the mechanical operation is a dream, and the viewfinder is unrivaled in this size package (or even in any APS-C camera, it's definitely larger and more clear than the 7D, it's as nice as my 5D finder)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Also it takes some fantastic pictures for when you're not allowed to take a Camera with remove-able lenses to different events. Also I don't get the retro body hate, thats a positive not a negative.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Well you know, Cartier-Bresson for the most part shot with nothing but a 50mm and he did pretty well for himself.

The more PIMM talks about this camera, the more I like it. I'm a big fan of the going out with one lens philosophy and I spent a year with nothing but a 50mm and an Xti. It both pushes you to work harder and relieves you of stresses at the same time. I think the optical view finder is a big deal too. I love my s90 but I really, really hate composing on a LCD. It's a lot harder for me.

However, I just don't have the $1000 to spend on such a camera. I still have a few more DSLR things to buy before I'd even think about it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haggins posted:

However, I just don't have the $1000 to spend on such a camera. I still have a few more DSLR things to buy before I'd even think about it.

Good thing it's impossible to find one for anywhere close to $1000 right now! Stupid supply and demand.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Haggins posted:

Well you know, Cartier-Bresson for the most part shot with nothing but a 50mm and he did pretty well for himself.

You're totally that guy who's like "yeah I've been working here for five years" when you really have been working there for 7 years, you just stopped updating two years ago.

What I was saying, albeit not too clearly, was that 50mm is a great focal length on a full frame camera, superb, but on a small sensored DSLR, it's suddenly an 80mm lense which means whilst it has uses, it is not as useful as a 50mm used to be on a full frame body. However, people haven't updated their lens recommendation and throw this out in a obscure form of technophobia or general unwillingness to move the gently caress on, cockmunch.

What I was saying about this particular lense is 23mm is great, and the camera looks great, and horny, and small, and erotic, and full featured, and moist, but it would be just that little bit more chub building if they threw on a fuckin' 23-69mm zoom, not interchangeble, just a zoom.

But now I've had what felt like the longest twelve hours in the world to think about it, no poo poo, longest ever. At 3am, in control of a 24t machine, I set my phone's egg timer to 5 minute intervals and just took cat naps until I had to do something. I have this loving close standing offsider who hangs outside my cab window and stares, dimwittedly, just at me. Just at and around me, all the loving time. Then, the compressor started building up too much wind, and letting itself off in this piercing shriek that loosened not just my bowels, but sinew from bone/words from brain/soul from mortal coil/etc and when it did it, after I recovered, I saw him walk around the back of the rig on the reverse camera, right next to the compressor, and he just stood their with a not so bright look on his face and began picking his nose with his thumb, and as he delved deep, the compressor blew it's load again and he didn't... he didn't flinch. Not even a twitch for approximately the loudest and just genuinely most body and mind fragmenting/shattering noise I've ever been party to. and that is officially not loving cool. I had to turn off the rig, drive two kilometres to the top of the mine and just line up a row of lukewarm styrofoam cup coffee's and shot them with my eyes closed in an attempt to realign my shakra.

And yeah, I guess you couldn't do a zoom without losing your F/2, and the Bokeh, and the stylistic ideal behind it so alright, I take it back. Also I kind of want one, because it would be almost perfect for panoramas.

EDIT: It would be perfect if it had the zoom, I should add. Especially if it's really good at long exposure photography which I can't check being no images online from it. Can anyone with one post their flickr or something?

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 22, 2011

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
That's got to be the best non sequitur ever.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There needs to be a way to filter posts for tags, with tags like "just got off a 12-hour shift" and "observed idiocy at an industrial work site".

Then I can get good and drunk, and read just those posts. I only wish I'd had a bottle or two in me when I read Helmacron's... rant? Is that a rant?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

ExecuDork posted:

There needs to be a way to filter posts for tags, with tags like "just got off a 12-hour shift" and "observed idiocy at an industrial work site".

Then I can get good and drunk, and read just those posts. I only wish I'd had a bottle or two in me when I read Helmacron's... rant? Is that a rant?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376115

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Helmacron posted:

EDIT: It would be perfect if it had the zoom, I should add.

well that and the new fisheye effect

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Helmacron posted:

But now I've had what felt like the longest twelve hours in the world to think about it, no poo poo, longest ever. At 3am, in control of a 24t machine, I set my phone's egg timer to 5 minute intervals and just took cat naps until I had to do something. I have this loving close standing offsider who hangs outside my cab window and stares, dimwittedly, just at me. Just at and around me, all the loving time. Then, the compressor started building up too much wind, and letting itself off in this piercing shriek that loosened not just my bowels, but sinew from bone/words from brain/soul from mortal coil/etc and when it did it, after I recovered, I saw him walk around the back of the rig on the reverse camera, right next to the compressor, and he just stood their with a not so bright look on his face and began picking his nose with his thumb, and as he delved deep, the compressor blew it's load again and he didn't... he didn't flinch. Not even a twitch for approximately the loudest and just genuinely most body and mind fragmenting/shattering noise I've ever been party to. and that is officially not loving cool. I had to turn off the rig, drive two kilometres to the top of the mine and just line up a row of lukewarm styrofoam cup coffee's and shot them with my eyes closed in an attempt to realign my shakra.

You're in the wrong thread.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helmacron posted:

:psyboom:

See, the think about Developing Fluid is that while is a relatively safe liquid, you really shouldn't drink it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Helmacron belongs in all the threads. :toot:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Went to the National Wildlife Refuge briefly today to take some pictures just after it rained. I got on the boardwalk to start walking through, and I took off the lens cap to my Hasselblad and dropped it by mistake and it went straight into the water below. D'oh! $12 down the drain.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Lesson learned: gently caress lens caps.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beerios posted:

Lesson learned: gently caress lens caps.

No, gently caress expensive lens caps. Hell yeah to cheap knockoff lens caps.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

HPL posted:

No, gently caress expensive lens caps. Hell yeah to cheap knockoff lens caps.

Hell yes. I have three dollar Tamron caps on my Hasselblad lens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Hell yes. I have three dollar Tamron caps on my Hasselblad lens.

Don't you know, thirty-five dollar plastic is more dust resistant. :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Don't you know, thirty-five dollar plastic is more dust resistant. :colbert:

It's a film camera. The only place where dust matters is the scanner. :clint:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sounds like a good deal!

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, I buy the brand caps and accessories in EX condition even though the knock-offs are just the same. I think it's some OCD thing because it logically makes no difference.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haggins posted:

Sounds like a good deal!

Sweet dude, you'd better call him before they're gone.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Haggins posted:

Sounds like a good deal!

Even better are the "5 vintage cameras, great for a collector, $200 FIRM!" that are worth about 5 bucks. Also there's some person in my area who's been trying to sell a broken light meter for almost a year now.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't know, I like the idea of a camra but I think I might hold off for someone selling a camrawr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

Yeah, I buy the brand caps and accessories in EX condition even though the knock-offs are just the same. I think it's some OCD thing because it logically makes no difference.

I basically think of lens caps as consumables and buy generic ones on eBay in batches. It's kind of like sunglasses. The cheap sunglasses are indestructible and never get lost as opposed to the expensive ones. You could throw a cheap crappy pair of sunglasses into the ocean and a fish would bring them back to you.

Also, where are those $3 Tamron caps? I see them for $10 everywhere.

HPL fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 24, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

I basically think of lens caps as consumables and buy generic ones on eBay in batches. It's kind of like sunglasses. The cheap sunglasses are indestructible and never get lost as opposed to the expensive ones. You could throw a cheap crappy pair of sunglasses into the ocean and a fish would bring them back to you.

Also, where are those $3 Tamron caps? I see them for $10 everywhere.

Actually now that I think about it the knock off Nikon caps I bought were around three dollars. Glazer's in Seattle sells the size that fits Bay 50 (62mm I think, I'll check later) for seven or eight bucks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I just wanted to plug lensrentals.com. Not only do they get you quality stuff fast, but they take their special requests section of the order form very seriously.

Hahaha oh wow that is amazing!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

A5H posted:

Hahaha oh wow that is amazing!

Whoa I missed that somehow, hahahaha that really is fantastic. I'll definitely have to make an odd request whenever I use them next.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

poopinmymouth posted:

Get it. it's soooo good. Firmware 1.01 is already out (minor fix, but it seems they will be much more responsive with firmware updates than canon or nikon), and Lightroom support in 3.4 is very likely.

Nice, man. Good to know. You mind posting a couple of your better photos with it to whet my appetite?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

surgical scar posted:

Nice, man. Good to know. You mind posting a couple of your better photos with it to whet my appetite?

Can you post a full size long exposure from the X100? The only one I've found is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ichibutt/5539736063/sizes/o/in/photostream/ and it's a bit poo.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just made a big post in the Band and Concert pics thread if anyone is interested in getting in to that that might help you out.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

surgical scar posted:

I'm running a photoblog with frequent updates. http://myx100year.blogspot.com

So far my favorites (I don't really upload full size, but I can find one that I think showcases the sharpness, it's there, but so far there is no Lightroom support, and silkypix is a bit rear end)

2011_04_21c by mr-chompers, on Flickr

2011_04_18f by mr-chompers, on Flickr

steph01 by mr-chompers, on Flickr

I've done a head to head with the 5D and 35L, not posting comparison shots till LR support is out, but even with lovely silkypix the DR, and sharpness are very close. The 5D still wins, but only in pixel peeping, and in a print with proper sharpening techniques it would be really hard to spot the difference.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Helmacron posted:

Can you post a full size long exposure from the X100? The only one I've found is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ichibutt/5539736063/sizes/o/in/photostream/ and it's a bit poo.

Here is one. Don't judge too harshly, you can see in silkypix that the detail is there, but there isn't a good way to sharpen it. It's like the raw interpreter isn't doing it right. If you over sharpen the edges come out and show the amount of detail in it, but it uses an ugly method of sharpening. I have higher hopes for the LR interpreter.

http://www.mr-chompers.com/net/blog/x100year/harpa.jpg

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I just wanted to plug lensrentals.com. Not only do they get you quality stuff fast, but they take their special requests section of the order form very seriously.

So what did you write to them?

"I want to rent the 300mm/2.8L but only if it comes with a dinosaur and a giant robot" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I just ordered a lens for this weekend from lensrentals.com with the following special instructions:

Hi! I saw online a recent Lensrentals box delivered with a picture of a robot fighting a dinosaur. It seemed clear to me that the robot won that fight, so if possible, I would love a drawing of a pretty lady robot planting a wet sloppy kiss on the male robot in thanks for saving her from the evil dinosaur menace.