Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I gave 2.5 week notice last Wednesday. I just discovered my company doesn't pay out vacation to employees that are leaving. I have about 60 hours vacation saved at this point.

Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 10, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Thoguh posted:

Is that even legal?

I didn't think so... Sick time isn't paid out but PTO and vacation usually is a liability on the balance sheet since you already earned it. I guess if you get all the time up front for the year they might be able to prorate you down. If you accrue it though it seems very wrong.

E:Only half the states have laws saying they have to according to nolo.com. I would check your states laws. Also check the work bylaws because if it is in there you should get paid.

Or I guess just take 60 hours off...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 26, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Right, that's what I'm contemplating. I'm in Ohio so they are allowed to do it if that policy is made clear (it is in the handbook).

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 26, 2014

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Doing my course selections for a CE degree, was wondering if anyone here might have any suggestions:

Few notes:
Everything in black (or a mix of Orange and black) are completed courses, all are required courses, so not something I was able to choose.

Requirements:
2 "HSS" (humanities) electives (APS321, HPS282)
2 "CS" (complementary studies) electives, "Leadership for Groups & organizations", "People management and organizational behavior".
1 Natural science course (apparently I didn't have enough to graduate... so Physics of the Earth...)
2 breadth courses (Digital Electronics, Comm Systems)
Engineering economics.
Full year design course in 4th year.

And essentially everything else I can choose from.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Take Operating Systems, it was an incredibly practical and insightful class for me. Of course going into OS development after college even more so for me, but it's very helpful to have a basic understanding of the hardware/software interface on a larger scale.

Other than that, depends what your focus is. If you have a chance take a bunch of HDL classes (Verilog) as they are a lot of fun and challenging. My favourite course in college was a VLSI design/theory class (think transistor CAD layout).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Are you sure you don't want to branch out and take interesting electives instead of electives that are basically just dumbed-down engineering courses from different departments?

I'm surprised your degree plan doesn't have more physics. Electromag is gonna be tough without a strong physics background.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Does anybody know of any recruiting agencies that focus mostly on the oil and gas industries in the Texas/Louisianan area?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Because by working with recruiting agencies I figure I can apply to several companies rapidly. Unless there is a listing of small oil and gas companies that would probably be better.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
And on top of that, recruiters can get your resume seen by employers a lot easier than you can.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Noctone posted:

And on top of that, recruiters can get your resume seen by employers a lot easier than you can.

You can end up making a lot less too.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

You can end up making a lot less too.

Less of a concern for your first job, I just need my drat foot in the door.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Applying quickly is a lazy excuse to use a recruiter. You're literally just taking money that could be in your pocket because you don't want to put forth the effort to discover and apply for jobs. There really is no excuse, especially when finding the companies to apply towards is as easy as looking up the sponsors to local schools, hosts of employment expos, etc. A little groundwork goes a long way, and LinkedIn thread might be worth checking out as well. Using this methodology would probably go a long way in other worthy cities down in that area (Houston, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, etc) but I just moved from the hub city (Lafayette, LA) and oil is crazy down there, so I'll go ahead and help you with what little I can. Lafayette is home to the second largest school in LA, behind LSU. They have petroleum engineering, and that department has expos. I didn't look hard enough to find the specific expo I attended as I'm sure it replicates the Louisiana Gulf Coast Oil Exposition (LAGCOE). Anyways, LAGCOE is huge, and their list of exhibitors is also relatively large, as found here. https://lagcoe-web.ungerboeck.com/oep/oep_p1_exhibitors.aspx?sessionid=ff5fc0fb5fg1fg2

Look for stuff like that...

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Xeom posted:

Less of a concern for your first job, I just need my drat foot in the door.

Most of the time I have been in contact with head hunters, they are looking to place people with ~10 years of experience or in some god forsaken location like Midland or Alabama. What is your degree in? It will be difficult to get an engineering job with a small E&P operator without a Petroleum Engineering degree, but shouldn't be an issue with a service company because they have the things in place to train people up. As far as the large independents and majors, they do most of their recruiting out of colleges.

Check out the postings at the links below to see if anything fits.

http://www.oilcareers.com/worldwide/
http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/search_jobs.asp

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I have a chemical engineering degree(sub 3.0). I really don't mind working in a terrible location for the first 2 years of my career. Id rather work in the middle of nowhere than doing nothing back at my parents house.

Thanks for that listing Dead Pressed, i will definitely put it to good use.Oil! those two websites have next to zero entry level positions listed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Didn't you have career fairs at your school? That would have been the place to land a job for sure.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm writing a resume for internships as I'm about halfway done with a ME degree. After the obvious stuff, I'm not sure what makes it on at this point. I've read it's OK to fill it out with some classes you've taken that might differentiate you. So would saying I'm capable with something like Solidworks or C# be a good idea? Just phrase it carefully not to oversell it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Any 300+ level courses are good to put on there. I typically look at those and see what the person is studying. Civil engineering is pretty broad so I want to know if you are taking the classes that will help you do good work for me.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Didn't you have career fairs at your school? That would have been the place to land a job for sure.

From my experience career fairs are a loving joke unless you are in the top of your class in both GPA and internship experience. Florida States engineering career fair is really really bad for chemical engineers. It's barely acceptable for mechanical/civil/electrical.I think we had like six chemical companies this semester. Those six will only talk to you if you have a 3.0 or higher GPA plus some internship experience. Out of my class of ~50 maybe 8 people even bother dressing up to talk to companies. As far as i know nobody got any jobs from any of those companies.

I am pretty sure I will have to try to move to Texas first and work some McJob for a while before landing some tech job and then hopefully moving onto an engineering position; but I am still going to try and get an engineering job out of college.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Xeom posted:

I have a chemical engineering degree(sub 3.0). I really don't mind working in a terrible location for the first 2 years of my career. Id rather work in the middle of nowhere than doing nothing back at my parents house.

Thanks for that listing Dead Pressed, i will definitely put it to good use.Oil! those two websites have next to zero entry level positions listed.

Entry level recruiters are brutal. You'll 'get' health insurance where you'll be paying the large majority of, the wage will be tiny, and there is little job security. You will be under everyone with no way to gain seniority and a lot of places won't recognize or reduce the number of years you worked in the recruiting circuit when you do change jobs.

Note that headhunters sniping good experienced people is a bit different.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Any 300+ level courses are good to put on there. I typically look at those and see what the person is studying. Civil engineering is pretty broad so I want to know if you are taking the classes that will help you do good work for me.

Thanks a lot. I think I'll put a Significant Coursework section or something under my school and GPA now.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Entry level recruiters are brutal. You'll 'get' health insurance where you'll be paying the large majority of, the wage will be tiny, and there is little job security. You will be under everyone with no way to gain seniority and a lot of places won't recognize or reduce the number of years you worked in the recruiting circuit when you do change jobs.

Note that headhunters sniping good experienced people is a bit different.

Why wouldn't that experience help me move onto the next job? Wouldn't it be engineering work? Man I've been living under ~10k a year for over 3 years now(pure loans). If the job is willing to pay 30k/year I would jump at it so fast you would not believe. At this point a 40k/year job would be beyond a dream job.

I have friends who have good and even great(3.6) GPA's who can't find jobs. So I am literally just looking for the scraps falling off the table at this point. If I don't land a job I will literally be in a worse position than my brother who dropped out of high school and got his GED.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Xeom posted:

You can always look at Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, or Baker Hughes for service companies. Chemical companies like Champion or Nalco also might work. If you are willing to work and have any handle on rheology, it doesn't seem too far off a stretch to work fluids on a frac truck or be a field engineer for drilling mud.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Xeom posted:

Why wouldn't that experience help me move onto the next job? Wouldn't it be engineering work? Man I've been living under ~10k a year for over 3 years now(pure loans). If the job is willing to pay 30k/year I would jump at it so fast you would not believe. At this point a 40k/year job would be beyond a dream job.

I have friends who have good and even great(3.6) GPA's who can't find jobs. So I am literally just looking for the scraps falling off the table at this point. If I don't land a job I will literally be in a worse position than my brother who dropped out of high school and got his GED.

Get out of Florida. Come to Texas. My company can't find enough fresh ChemE grads.

Edit: When I say Texas, obviously I mean Houston. Also, apply to the big 4 energy service companies. Make sure you come across in your résumé and interview as a tough dude, or at least not a sissy.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2014

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Oil! posted:

You can always look at Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, or Baker Hughes for service companies. Chemical companies like Champion or Nalco also might work. If you are willing to work and have any handle on rheology, it doesn't seem too far off a stretch to work fluids on a frac truck or be a field engineer for drilling mud.

Baker Hughes has 3.0 cutoff, I've applied to positions at the other three.

IAMKOREA posted:

Get out of Florida. Come to Texas. My company can't find enough fresh ChemE grads.

Man I am finding that hard to believe. I've been applying to places like crazy with not even a nibble. Same thing for all my friends as well. I have a feeling you mean your company can't find enough ChemE with high GPA's and internship experience. I will be moving to Texas after I graduate, I'm not sure how yet, but I am either going to get a job,or die trying.

Xeom fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 1, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Xeom posted:

Baker Hughes has 3.0 cutoff, I've applied to positions at the other three.

Man I am finding that hard to believe. I've been applying to places like crazy with not even a nibble. Same thing for all my friends as well. I have a feeling you mean your company can't find enough ChemE with high GPA's and internship experience. I will be moving to Texas after I graduate, I'm not sure how yet, but I am either going to get a job,or die trying.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=%22process+engineer%22&l=Texas

Learn to quickly skip the jobs that require experience. It will be a lot of them, which does not mean you are out of the game. Custom tailor your resume for each position that you stand a reasonable chance to get (focused strategy rather than shotgun), and write a custom cover letter for each position. This search will also pick up chemical plants, polymer/plastics plants, and other things you might miss on rigzone and the like. It is still much worse than your university career fair. Does your school have a spring career fair that you can attend?

edit: i'm still looking in the Houston area as a materials engineer, and last week I had a phone interview with Halliburton drill bit services and an on-site at a steel mill. Stay focused and try to remain upbeat.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 1, 2014

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Thoguh posted:

It takes almost no effort to put on a shirt and tie and go talk to as many companies as possible, as often as possible. If only 15% of the class even bothers to take a career fair seriously I don't know that the fault lies with the companies who attended (or the ones who didn't bother to attend since there were few if any serious candidates).

I thought the same thing. Why should any companies show up and want to hire people that can't even be bothered to dress appropriately? No wonder your career fair is bad...everyone doing well enough to have jobs available knows to avoid it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xeom posted:

From my experience career fairs are a loving joke unless you are in the top of your class in both GPA and internship experience. Florida States engineering career fair is really really bad for chemical engineers.

Sorry to hear that. I tend to forget that most schools don't have actual career fairs. I guess it was another plus of going to Michigan tech. 300-350 companies at the fall fair, 150 companies at the winter fair. You had to make priorities with who you would talk to because there was just too many. Companies to talk to. Interviews for most were the next day. Such a nice gig.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

RogueLemming posted:

I thought the same thing. Why should any companies show up and want to hire people that can't even be bothered to dress appropriately? No wonder your career fair is bad...everyone doing well enough to have jobs available knows to avoid it.

The career fair is held in the college of engineering building itself. So most people are just coming and going to class. Of course anybody who steps up to a booth or a representative is dressed well.

EDIT: In other words its the schools fault. In reality the career fair couldn't be any bigger because there would literally be no physical space for more companies. FSU treats all the engineering programs like poo poo. Don't get me wrong the professors really know their stuff and a few are industry vets, but the college of engineering is a low priority for FSU.

EDITEDIT: Gotta build that in door A/C football field though.

Xeom fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Xeom posted:

The career fair is held in the college of engineering building itself. So most people are just coming and going to class. Of course anybody who steps up to a booth or a representative is dressed well.

EDIT: In other words its the schools fault. In reality the career fair couldn't be any bigger because there would literally be no physical space for more companies. FSU treats all the engineering programs like poo poo. Don't get me wrong the professors really know their stuff and a few are industry vets, but the college of engineering is a low priority for FSU.

Stop complaining, blaming, and get at it. The first job search is never fun and can drag out for a long, long time, but if you approach everything like this it really shows through in conversations with fair reps, HR people etc. If you're a good actor, you maybe can fudge it, but I sure wasn't and my mood at the start of the day really affected whether or not I got a callback.

There aren't just school fairs, but there are industrial career fairs as well. There won't be so many entry level positions but you won't be competing against a hundred other students at the same time. I always had way more luck at those than at the college hosted ones. I know at my company anyone can volunteer to rep at the college fairs, and if you aren't fitting the job that the specific person who volunteered is looking for, your resume goes into the giant HR pile which isn't great. Another thing our company does is only post positions on the company website and not in any aggregator. It kind of drives me nuts because its hard to get someone for a specialized position but really snoop around.

spwrozek posted:

Sorry to hear that. I tend to forget that most schools don't have actual career fairs. I guess it was another plus of going to Michigan tech. 300-350 companies at the fall fair, 150 companies at the winter fair. You had to make priorities with who you would talk to because there was just too many. Companies to talk to. Interviews for most were the next day. Such a nice gig.

Did it offset the minus of living in the ice hell for most of the year? Its a good school but man is the location super unfortunate.

Anemone Mine
Dec 30, 2010
The ones I've been to (UK) just seem to be an opportunity to hand out leaflets and hear about how great the companies are, if you're lucky you'll get to talk to someone with experience of their graduate program. If you want to talk about specific opportunities then they just say to apply through the website, I've had recruiters assure me that I can get on their summer placement as a first year but find on their website that it's only open to final year students. We're probably talking about different types of event but I don't feel much need to dress up to pick up leaflets and keychains.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uncle Jam posted:

Did it offset the minus of living in the ice hell for most of the year? Its a good school but man is the location super unfortunate.

I actually loved it up there. Mountain biking is great, skiing is really good (great considering it is the midwest), class sizes in the 15-30 people range, winter carnival, etc. Job front was pretty good too. 2 internships, 5 offers out of school.

I will grant you that you better like snow and cold though.

Edit:
Also I would recommend that people check out large conferences and see if they have a career fair tied to it. The IEEE T&D conference in Chicago in April has one just for students.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 1, 2014

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Uncle Jam posted:

Ice hell best hell. Builds sisu.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Xeom posted:

Why did you go to FSU then? Are you really surprised by the outcome if you went to a substandard engineering school and finished with substandard grades and experience? At this point the best you can do is polish up the resume you've got, learn to network with those that made it into industry, and become a better public speaker/conversationalist. Post your resume here if you want critical feedback. Join your local Toastmasters if you suck at speaking.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I think my department head would kill anyone that went to a career fair in less than a suit and tie.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Uncle Jam In that post I was actually defending my fellow classmates as it seemed that some people got the image that students at FSU were showing up to career fairs in flip flops and that's why companies were not show up. I can assure you the students are not the issue.

Thanks for the posts resident, I've already posted my resume here and have had some critiques and have made changes accordingly. Resident that's the plan as I said a few posts ago I am going to figure out someway to move to Texas(Houston), and begin to network and job hunt there. Hopefully I can attend decent career fairs there as Uncle Jam suggested.

Also resident I didn't expect much as I barely imagined I would ever make it this far. I fully know my situation is hosed and I am responsible for it. To be honest I knew this whole thing was a long shot. The thing that really put me off was all my friends with really good grades not being able to get jobs. Whats happening to my friends just really took me by surprise.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I haven't had a lot of luck with Career fairs, although I think that has more to do with my major than anything else. It doesn't matter if I'm dressed nicely or in a hawaiian shirt because as soon as I tell them "Nuclear engineering" the response is pretty much always the same: "Oh, we don't have anything for you." The only people that recruit for us are the Navy, B&W Pantex (Ugh), and the national labs of various flavors. One year we had the NRC come out, but that was only once.

If only I wanted to do work that the national labs were doing :sigh:

VV: 3.69, I have no interest in the navy though. Pretty much all the material they bring is for propulsion officers.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Olothreutes posted:

The only people that recruit for us are the Navy

ABORT ABORT ABORT

unless you're rocking a 3.7+ GPA because then they do actually have some decent spots or so I hear