Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ruse posted:

Is that a Spit intercepting a V-1?

Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_(flying_bomb)#Interceptors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
IIRC a Spitfire pilot figured out that if he just tipped them slightly they'd lose track of where they were and crash.

e: beaten and kinda wrong.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 8, 2012

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

BonzoESC posted:

Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_(flying_bomb)#Interceptors

Using its wingitp to divert.

Using the wingtip to divert the V-1

Seriously, I can not think of anything that requires more balls. I stand and literally salute.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ruse posted:

Using its wingitp to divert.

Using the wingtip to divert the V-1

Seriously, I can not think of anything that requires more balls. I stand and literally salute.

This is a relatively safe thing, isn't it? It's not like the thing just exploded randomly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bumping wings at a couple hundred mph? Yeah, no biggie.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Godholio posted:

Bumping wings at a couple hundred mph? Yeah, no biggie.

There's a joke in there about the Reno Air Races, but... no. Too soon.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised WW2 fighters didn't have a 2nd seat for the pilot's balls. Unbelievable what they dealt with and accomplished.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

This is a relatively safe thing, isn't it? It's not like the thing just exploded randomly.

-At the very edge of the performance envelope;
-In a canvas-covered flimsy wood-and-metal contraption;
-Deliberately going for closest approach;
-With an hilariously unstable rocket plane.*

Ballsy people, yeah.

*Yes, they did explode all over the place. The failure rate was as high as expected for cutting-edge experimental rocketry being flung in the general direction of the enemy with approximative guidance.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd say the most dangerous thing about it all is the highly unstable flight path of the rocket. Imagine how much coordination it takes the Blue Angels to fly such close formation and now magnify that to smack wings in a controlled manner. That's with skilled human pilots. Yea.

Balls, 1 pair; flyer.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
e:f;b by like 4 hours. :britain:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well, i know a lot of em considered it the safer option. Remember that the other option was shooting a gigantic bomb while directly behind it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

*Yes, they did explode all over the place. The failure rate was as high as expected for cutting-edge experimental rocketry being flung in the general direction of the enemy with approximative guidance.

I'm not aware of a definition of "rocketry" that includes the V-1.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

I'm not aware of a definition of "rocketry" that includes the V-1.

Kinda hard to be included in "rocketry" if you aren't carrying your oxidizer with you.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
I remember reading about a Tempest pilot who had a confirmed down on a V1 with the same tactic, didn't find a photo but did find a recreation..

"With all his ammunition spent on other interceptions, Wing Commander Beamont in his Hawker Tempest MKV tips a German flying VI bomb to its destruction with his wingtip during the summer of 1944."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Beamont

Parabellum fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ecureuilmatrix posted:

As I recall, the issue wasn't as much with level flight stability (although the engines can and did fail quite frequently) but with the guidance systems, which were primitive as hell. When trying to tip one, as long as it flies straight and level it doesn't really matter where it's targeted.

Still pretty dangerous, but I bet most of the pilots preferred trying to tip V-1s to strafing airfields, for instance.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Then there's the ever present "well I just tipped the cruise missile over, where's it gonna land?" aspect.

Right sorry about the cows, old boy.

The V-2 is pretty scary, too. Look at that impact, jesus. Anything that explodes but you can see it landing ends up far scarier than most weapons.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 8, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They didn't actually touch it, or at least they weren't supposed to but some accidentally did.

By flying the Spit wing under the V-1's wing, the V-1's wing got more lift, tipping the missile towards one side. It didn't have roll channel stabilization so it just tipped further and further and death spiralled down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

Then there's the ever present "well I just tipped the cruise missile over, where's it gonna land?" aspect.

In a perfect world they'd do the intercept over the Channel. Somehow I doubt that worked out most of the time though. And yeah, that video. :stare:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Yeah, the V1 tended to fall out of the sky all over the place. My great aunt once told me that she used to live in a village close to some V1 starting facilities and apparently, several houses in the village got hit by V1s that just never managed to start right or immediately spiralled out of control. People were pretty scared of them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

They didn't actually touch it, or at least they weren't supposed to but some accidentally did.

By flying the Spit wing under the V-1's wing, the V-1's wing got more lift, tipping the missile towards one side. It didn't have roll channel stabilization so it just tipped further and further and death spiralled down.

My grandfather said that he'd heard RAF pilots talk about doing such a thing when he was overseas during the war. Even so, you had to get your wing within a foot or less of the V-1 wing to get it to flip. Ballsy as hell.

He also said that an RAF fighter pilot was the last person you wanted to gently caress with. His take on them was that they were fighting tooth and nail with the Germans to keep them from bombing the poo poo out of cities filled with their family and friends. This led to a 'never back down' attitude that carried over to everything, including the occasional very nasty bar fight.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Got to go to Military Family Day Air Show at Nellis in November.

Thought I'd share a few of the photos I snagged. My fiancee and her father are huge into aviation and I'm learning! This was my first time to any event like this so I'm sorry if my photos are run of the mill or not interesting... I thought they were cool... So.. Airshow Importance from a newbies eyes! :)

Enjoy!

Don't shoot!

Fiancee's dad's favorite B-1

Awesome - Found it interesting they are based out of Kansas and will fly all the way around the world and then return to home base. All in a day's work! Only aircraft blocked off and surrounded by heavily armed military personnel. Also... snipers I noticed.

This was explained to me as... "Hey, let's build a HUGE gun around an aircraft."

Communicate with EVERYTHING!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Krime posted:

This was explained to me as... "Hey, let's build a HUGE gun around an aircraft."

Other way around. Also my favorite plane ever.

That armed drone scares the hell outa me though, even though it's still human operated.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Bondematt posted:

That armed drone scares the hell outa me though, even though it's still human operated.

Oops.. Yeah... I got that one wrong... That's the correct way it was explained to me...

Plane around the big gun! :)

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Krime posted:

No no, it's "let's build a HUGE gun and build an aircraft around it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

darknrgy posted:

At the airshow they ran an attack pattern with 2 of them...

Whatever is their target would be just destroyed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bondematt posted:

They had this on the drone at an air show over the summer at Ellsworth. Made it less scary I thought.

And reposting some B-1's :allears:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VikingSkull posted:

The V-2 is pretty scary, too. Look at that impact, jesus. Anything that explodes but you can see it landing ends up far scarier than most weapons.

The V-2 came down with a lot more energy than the Iraqi Scuds in the Gulf War; the *average* V-2 impact killed more people than the Scud attacks on Israel and Saudi Arabia put together.

Also, the sound the GAU-8 makes when it fires has got to be one of the most terrifying sounds on the planet. It's like if you were an ancient Greek and heard that sound you'd think Zeus himself was after you.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 8, 2012

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

And reposting some B-1's :allears:

I snagged this one from the last time it was posted, it became my wallpaper spread across two monitors :allears:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Krime posted:

Don't shoot!

You're fixin' to get jacked up breaking red like that. :v:

Actually, funny story about breaking red...so during Northern Edge last summer we had a shitload of Navy guys up here, even more than usual since the carrier dropped out so the bulk of their Air Wing came up here and operated from Elmo. Anyway, these guys don't exactly play by AF rules, and were breaking red all over the place. We mentioned it to them once or twice, and they kind of looked at us and mumbled okay...and kept on doing it. We didn't give a poo poo, but the Wing Commander hisself said later that day that NO ONE would break red...and the Navy folks kept right on doing it.

Krime posted:

Awesome - Found it interesting they are based out of Kansas and will fly all the way around the world and then return to home base. All in a day's work! Only aircraft blocked off and surrounded by heavily armed military personnel. Also... snipers I noticed.

Slight correction...they're actually based out of Whiteman AFB, which is in Missouri a bit east of Kansas City. The reason they fly all the way around the world is that they need special climate controlled hangars to keep certain LO properties intact, which kind of limits the bases they can operate from...wiki says they have hangars constructed at RAF Fairford in the UK and Andersen on Guam, which makes sense, but I imagine it's still simpler to operate out of Whiteman for a one or two off raid as opposed to forward deploying all the mx people and equipment necessary to maintain the jets.

Another funny story about the B-2 and restricted areas...even when the jet is on the ground on a secure AFB without any visitors roaming around, there is still higher security around the jet compared to the rest of the flightline; i.e., even if you have access to the flightline you don't automatically have access to the B-2 area. Our Ammo guys went down to Guam a couple of TSPs ago with the 90th FS from up here...there were also some B-2s there doing the CBP thing. Now, the 90th FS takes their dice VERY seriously...they have these drat gigantic wooden dice that they take everywhere with them TDY, they're in all the pictures, etc. The maintainers in the AMU take the dice just as, if not more so, seriously as the ops guys. Anyway, in typical 90th prima donna fashion their AMU maintainers were being dicks to everyone else on the TDY, so our Ammo guys decided to gently caress with them...they surreptitiously lifted the dice one night and, using a contact they had with the B-2 guys, got them put inside the B-2's cordon. So when morning rolls around, the 90th guys discovered their dice were missing and began searching frantically for them, only to discover them easily within sight on the flightline but just out of reach behind the B-2's security.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nellis puts on a really good airshow.

Krime posted:

Communicate with EVERYTHING!

I've probably got 70 hours on that jet. :) We had it on a deployment for a few weeks.

It sucks it looks like it's buttoned up. It's a lot more fun doing airshows when you actually get to show people around inside the airplane. What's really cool is when we get a power cart and can start the dome rotating. We did this at Langley a couple of years ago, and we went from having about 4 people chilling inside and chatting to a line down the stairs and around the wing in about 2 minutes. The dome is a loving people-magnet.

When I did the Nellis airshow in 2008 or so, we were all closed up then, too. loving ground crew decided not to service the lavatory after an 8 hour flight. It was August. The airshow was 2 days later. Whoever cracked the door open first must've wanted to throw up.

Edit: VV Yeah, it takes a lot more power than the cart can generate to actually fire up the radar. Even if we tried it, the hardware would overheat in a couple of minutes.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 9, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Godholio posted:

We did this at Langley a couple of years ago, and we went from having about 4 people chilling inside and chatting to a line down the stairs and around the wing in about 2 minutes. The dome is a loving people-magnet.

Please tell me it's just turning, not radiating.

I'd go the other direction either way, I'd be worried that someone might accidentally hit the 'zorch!' button.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Phanatic posted:

Please tell me it's just turning, not radiating.

I'd go the other direction either way, I'd be worried that someone might accidentally hit the 'zorch!' button.

Not radiating. Just turns via electrically powered hydraulics. It takes a tremendous amount of power for the radar to work.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Godholio posted:

When I did the Nellis airshow in 2008 or so, we were all closed up then, too. loving ground crew decided not to service the lavatory after an 8 hour flight. It was August. The airshow was 2 days later. Whoever cracked the door open first must've wanted to throw up.

On the Chinooks, there's a piss tube in the back by the ramp. Nothing fancy, just a funnel and a plastic tube that drains outside of the aircraft.

Down at Bluegrass Station outside of Lexington, there's a contractor that takes in the G-models the 160th flies and mods them. Guy there told me an awful story about getting one in to be modded, only to find that the tube had been misinstalled and spent a while draining into the ramp, and then sitting there for a week or so in the Kentucky sun before they opened it up.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

Nellis puts on a really good airshow.

What's really cool is when we get a power cart and can start the dome rotating.

That... Turns? :monocle:

Yeah, I was very impressed with the airshow.

Also got to see the Thunderbirds which was awesome!

Forgot to post the Raptor. Shame they have issues. This thing looks mean.

Also, I'm from STL so I wish there would have been some of these there. These were always flying around when I was little.
RIP McDonnel-Douglas

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

iyaayas01 posted:

You're fixin' to get jacked up breaking red like that. :v:

Actually, funny story about breaking red...so during Northern Edge last summer we had a shitload of Navy guys up here, even more than usual since the carrier dropped out so the bulk of their Air Wing came up here and operated from Elmo. Anyway, these guys don't exactly play by AF rules, and were breaking red all over the place. We mentioned it to them once or twice, and they kind of looked at us and mumbled okay...and kept on doing it. We didn't give a poo poo, but the Wing Commander hisself said later that day that NO ONE would break red...and the Navy folks kept right on doing it.

Slight correction...they're actually based out of Whiteman AFB, which is in Missouri a bit east of Kansas City. The reason they fly all the way around the world is that they need special climate controlled hangars to keep certain LO properties intact, which kind of limits the bases they can operate from...wiki says they have hangars constructed at RAF Fairford in the UK and Andersen on Guam, which makes sense, but I imagine it's still simpler to operate out of Whiteman for a one or two off raid as opposed to forward deploying all the mx people and equipment necessary to maintain the jets.

Did the B-2 that crashed do so in Guam?

e. Yup, crashed on take off after heavy rains messed with some of the sensors according to wikipedia.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 9, 2012

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krime posted:

That... Turns? :monocle:

Why yes, it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJibKdeqzGU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://www.kellyaerospace.com/articles/Accessory_AMT.pdf

Well there's the answer. Holy crap that's a simple metering device. Absolutely no compensation built in at all.

IIRC some rotaxes use pumper, or CV carbs, which should provide altitude compensation.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

darknrgy posted:

My favorite pic of it.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

(Click for big.)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

co199 posted:

(Click for big.)

The safety wire in the middle of a giant fuckoff cannon is making me giggle more than I should admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Awesome pics! I'd love to know more about the E-3 radar, but I'm pretty sure that's all OPSEC stuff. It's interesting how products of the 90s/00s-era of semiconductor manufacturing/technology compare to that gigantic 70s (80s?)-era radar. (Like the units on the Wedgetail or Business Jet AWACS conversion jobbies).

I missed the V-1 chat by a bit, but I remember my Combat Flight Simulator (the original and best, with a Microsoft Force Feedback Pro :corsair:) manual mentioning Hawkers downing V-1s all the time by tipping them.

You could pull that off in-game, and it owned, hard. :black101: