Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ not at all. I still managed to sign up for the songwriting course after it finished its whole 6 weeks. Get in there and sign up.

I've got a question about expression pedals. Anyone got any advice for grabbing a good one? Obviously I'm after something sturdy and well made but are they all interchangeable? Is it possible to grab something that will work with things like amplitube and guitar rig and other software effects as well as hardware stuff, or does each company make you buy their pedal for each different thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Koth posted:

I'm in on both the classes too!

edit 5: I'm not good enough for this Improvisation class. :ohdear:

I doubt I will be either, but as someone in this thread told me: You have no reason not to try. Even if you never turn in any assignments it's not like this counts for anything apart from you getting better and learning stuff!

Look at me being all motivating. I'm like the most negative person in the world, I'm not sure where that came from.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Destro85 posted:

I doubt I will be either, but as someone in this thread told me: You have no reason not to try. Even if you never turn in any assignments it's not like this counts for anything apart from you getting better and learning stuff!

Look at me being all motivating. I'm like the most negative person in the world, I'm not sure where that came from.

Exactly! You're getting a ton of valuable insight for free. Even if only 1/10 of it sticks, you're a lot more knowledgeable than you were when it started.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I got this new rig with a TC Electronic G-Major 2, a Soldano pre-amp and a behringer midi board. Does anyone have a quick guide on how to program this poo poo?

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

Exactly! You're getting a ton of valuable insight for free. Even if only 1/10 of it sticks, you're a lot more knowledgeable than you were when it started.

The email about the analysis of the instructors improv intimidated me quite a bit. I don't even know what most of those things he is talking about are. :ohdear:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Destro85 posted:

The email about the analysis of the instructors improv intimidated me quite a bit. I don't even know what most of those things he is talking about are. :ohdear:

It's immersion! Like when you go to study abroad for a year and without realizing it you start quickly developing your skills to communicate with Italian street vendors.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
But I just need two fingers for _that_.

Wait. My god. Keef's a genius!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
A buddy of mine has a standard telecaster that's seen better days, I think we're going to tear out most of the internals and replace them. I've done a lot of rewiring so it shouldn't be an issue but I need to source the parts. Specifically the wiring kit, knobs, scratchguard and pick ups. We're in Canada so a CA source is better but I realize some of this stuff probably will have to be ordered stateside.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

We're in Canada so a CA source is better
Isn't one. Most brick & mortar music shops can help you; Long & McQuade, for example, carries All-Parts parts but call them to see what they have in stock. You will be paying a marked up premium price--might still end up being cheaper than a direct order though (All-Parts had a hosed up shipping charge at one point and I don't know if they fixed that yet).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

A buddy of mine has a standard telecaster that's seen better days, I think we're going to tear out most of the internals and replace them. I've done a lot of rewiring so it shouldn't be an issue but I need to source the parts. Specifically the wiring kit, knobs, scratchguard and pick ups. We're in Canada so a CA source is better but I realize some of this stuff probably will have to be ordered stateside.

Sounds like a call to GFS (edit: Guitar Fetish). Luckily for me, I live next to the Michigan border and ship to a US address. :)

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

nrr posted:

^ ^ ^ not at all. I still managed to sign up for the songwriting course after it finished its whole 6 weeks. Get in there and sign up.

I've got a question about expression pedals. Anyone got any advice for grabbing a good one? Obviously I'm after something sturdy and well made but are they all interchangeable? Is it possible to grab something that will work with things like amplitube and guitar rig and other software effects as well as hardware stuff, or does each company make you buy their pedal for each different thing?

Not sure but I think most are interchangeable. Pretty sure a line 6 pedal will work with a boss effect and so on. My brother has a boss I want to say ev-5 expression pedal that he uses it with a kurzweil keyboard. I borrowed it from him last week to use with an EHX Hog and it worked fine. The software stuff I have no idea about.

yeastiality
Dec 20, 2012

Can anyone recommend some good sites to order left-handed electrics online?
I want to make an impulse purchase of either a hollowbody, a semi-hollowbody, a fretless or a baritone. I'm looking to get something for around $800 USD, if I can..
Yes, I know this idea is extremely well thought-out.

What I've found on most sites (rondo, sweetwater, ...) hasn't been particularly appealing. Fretless in general seems to be really hard to find. Hollow/semihollow lefties seem to be rare too.

Is there some cool website I don't know about, or do I just have to search really hard?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm

This is the best one I know about.

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/samick/rl2.htm On sale, even!

Woah. Left handed Maldens, even. Nice.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm in Canada too, and I've ordered from All Parts and Guitar Fetish, who ship out of the states. If you're just ordering parts, shipping isn't too expensive.

Greasy Groove is a Canadian retailer who I have also bought from.

http://www.allparts.com/

http://www.guitarfetish.com/

http://www.greasygroove.com/index.php

Ebay.ca is also good for parts.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm having this weird problem with my 2nd string. I tune it using a tuner, and it sounds fine when I play the string open, but when I play any frets on that string it sounds out of tune.

Anyone know what is happening here?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Koth posted:

I'm having this weird problem with my 2nd string. I tune it using a tuner, and it sounds fine when I play the string open, but when I play any frets on that string it sounds out of tune.

Anyone know what is happening here?

Has it been a while since you changed the strings? That's probably all it is, B and G strings are usually the first to become poo poo as the strings get old.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Yeah, it has. I'll change them tonight. Usually I break them, so I've never experienced a string going bad before.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is it actually out of tune on the frets, according to the tuner? Or does it just sound like it might be wrong when you play it with other strings? Also it might be worth seeing if the problem gets gradually worse as you go up the neck, your intonation might be out

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Could be weird harmonics from a hardware issue or a badly angled/set neck. Probably just strings though. They can be so weird but at least they're cheap and easy to swap.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Is it actually out of tune on the frets, according to the tuner? Or does it just sound like it might be wrong when you play it with other strings? Also it might be worth seeing if the problem gets gradually worse as you go up the neck, your intonation might be out

When played on the frets it sounds wrong in correlation to the other strings. I didn't check to see if its out of tune with a tuner when going up the neck, but I don't think it got gradually worse. Everything I played just seemed to be a bit off.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How often do you guys break strings? I play fast as hell and haven't broken a string for almost six or seven years now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Koth posted:

When played on the frets it sounds wrong in correlation to the other strings. I didn't check to see if its out of tune with a tuner when going up the neck, but I don't think it got gradually worse. Everything I played just seemed to be a bit off.

Guitars are a compromise in tuning terms, and I always have problems with the B string - like an open A major chord (which has the major 3rd on the B string) sounds pretty bad unless I tweak the tuning, but that makes an open D less ideal, so it's a bit of a balancing act.

Stolen from another forum:

quote:

Though rarely discussed, one of the most distinctive aspects of Van Halen's sound was Eddie Van Halen's tuning of the guitar. Before Van Halen, most distorted, metal-oriented rock consciously avoided the use of the major third interval in guitar chords, creating instead the signature power chord of the genre. When run through a distorted amplifier, the rapid beating of the major third on a conventionally tuned guitar is distracting and somewhat dissonant.

Van Halen developed a technique of flattening his B string slightly so that the interval between the open G and B reaches a justly intonated, beatless third. This consonant third was almost unheard of in distorted-guitar rock and allowed Van Halen to use major chords in a way that mixed classic hard rock power with "happy" pop. The effect is pronounced on songs such as "Runnin' With the Devil", "Unchained", and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?".

With the B string flattened the correct amount, chords in some positions on the guitar have more justly intonated thirds, but in other positions the flat B string creates out-of-tune intervals. As Eddie once remarked to Guitar Player:

“ A guitar is just theoretically built wrong. Each string is an interval of fourths, and then the B string is off. Theoretically, that's not right. If you tune an open E chord in the first position and it's perfectly in tune, and then you hit a barre chord an octave higher, it's out of tune. The B string is always a mother****er to keep in tune all the time! So I have to retune for certain songs. And when I use the Floyd onstage, I have to unclamp it and do it real quick. But with a standard-vibrato guitar, I can tune it while I'm playing.''

More detail here
http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

But it's worth replacing your strings anyway if they're old, it won't be helping and you'll probably appreciate the newness

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
^ That's interesting. Thanks.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Francostein posted:

How often do you guys break strings? I play fast as hell and haven't broken a string for almost six or seven years now.

For me, it's almost always a big bend. So much that I tend to not bend a lot on my acoustic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't really break strings anymore unless I do something dumb. They don't break from just playing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They do if you have burrs on your saddles or the nut, it just wears on the string and makes a weak spot. So if your breaks always seem to be the same string in the same place, check that out

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

This article explains several reasons I still sound like crap outside of Rocksmith. Apparently I'm tuning flat and my sometimes involuntarily heavy picking is causing the notes to sound sharp on attack before they fade to flat.

My Strat has the problem described in part two where the first few frets are always sharp unless I string it with 11's or thicker.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

baka kaba posted:

They do if you have burrs on your saddles or the nut, it just wears on the string and makes a weak spot. So if your breaks always seem to be the same string in the same place, check that out

Yeah I've had that problem with a few guitars. It's right annoying

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I don't really break strings anymore unless I do something dumb. They don't break from just playing.

Yeah exactly, that's why I thought it was weird for goons to always be breaking strings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I used to break strings every once in a while back when I used 9s.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Francostein posted:

Yeah exactly, that's why I thought it was weird for goons to always be breaking strings.

Sometimes strings just snap when they're tuning if they haven't been stretched properly. Also sometimes I'll do two-and-a-half step bends which the guitar (any guitar, really) is really not designed for. Other than that, though, no breaks.

And as for the intonation thing, guitars are never going to sound right in every position and all you can do is get as close as possible or just play a fretless.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I usually break them from dumb stuff too. I just happen to do a lot of dumb stuff.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Destro85 posted:

This kinda sounds awesome...but I'm scared! :(

I'm going to take it with you, scared buddy!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This sucks Jeff Hanneman died :(
http://m.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I always wanted that digital camo ESP of his, or the one with the eagle inlays or just a black soloist with the same stickers. The neck shape on the ESP felt well and the Kahler trem was pretty fun. But looks like they're going to be expensive or discontinued pretty soon.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I hate it when people get all inconsiderate and die and gently caress up my grand consumerism plans.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

nrr posted:

I hate it when people get all inconsiderate and die and gently caress up my grand consumerism plans.

This is the guitar thread. Grand consumerism is all we have.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Speaking of

I've never bought acoustic strings before, what brands are good and long lasting and what's a good middle of the road gauge for E, Eb, drop Db, and i dunno open d minor

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I've always just used the el cheapo D'Addario medium sets, which is like .13-56. They seem to last long enough for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

muike posted:

Speaking of

I've never bought acoustic strings before, what brands are good and long lasting and what's a good middle of the road gauge for E, Eb, drop Db, and i dunno open d minor

DR have good selections, but John Pearse are the best easily-obtained strings. I just always have used .12s for DADGAD, DADGAF#, CADGBE, whatever it's fine for that stuff