Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I caught the first night of the Clutch/Mastodon tour in Vancouver. Clutch played a couple new tunes that sounded nice and heavy, with some pretty cool riffs. I believe Neil said the new album will be called "Psychic Warfare."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Last week I scored a three-day pass to Stumpfest NW and went all three nights for one of the best regional music fests in all the land, and it was Awesome. Lineup:

THURSDAY
Prizehog
Sons of Huns
Black Pussy
Lecherous Gaze
Lord Dying
Danava

FRIDAY
Muscle and Marrow
Graves at Sea
Author & Punisher
Intronaut
Yob

SATURDAY
Billions and Billions
Rajas
Norska
Sandrider
Big Business

All at Mississippi Studios, one of the best venues in town. Great vibe, great camaraderie, great performances, what a fuckin stretch of great music.

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
I feel like such a poser, listening to a genera called stoner, and such bands as weedeater and bongzilla, while not partaking in the devils lettuce myself.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

rivetz posted:

Last week I scored a three-day pass to Stumpfest NW and went all three nights for one of the best regional music fests in all the land, and it was Awesome. Lineup:

THURSDAY
Prizehog
Sons of Huns
Black Pussy
Lecherous Gaze
Lord Dying
Danava

FRIDAY
Muscle and Marrow
Graves at Sea
Author & Punisher
Intronaut
Yob

SATURDAY
Billions and Billions
Rajas
Norska
Sandrider
Big Business

All at Mississippi Studios, one of the best venues in town. Great vibe, great camaraderie, great performances, what a fuckin stretch of great music.

Holy poo poo that Friday lineup.

I am just recovering from Desertfest. I kind of regret doing another festival so close to Roadburn, because nothing was going to live up to it, but it was still fun. Noothgrush were really heavy and intense, and you could tell that their crushingly grim music was sincere. Black Cobra and Agrimonia were also excellent on the Friday.

Saturday I felt really rough, so the only band I properly enjoyed was Eyehategod. Third time seeing them this month and just as good as ever.

Sunday was RIDICULOUS. My Sleeping Karma, Karma to Burn, Acid King, Uffomamut and Sleep. All absolutely brilliant. Karma to Burn in particular blew me away because I wasn't that familiar with their stuff, but they were poo poo hot live. My Sleeping Karma were really great too, like a chiller version of K2B.

In terms of "festival experience" it wasn't the best. None of the venues had any phone signal, so meeting up with people was nigh on impossible, and it didn't have the same friendly atmosphere as Roadburn, so it wasn't as easy to pick up new pals along the way. Overall, I had fun, but I probably won't go back unless the lineup really grabs me. Roadburn, on the other hand, I've already made enquiries about hotels for next year. The best festival I've been to by miles.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nomapple posted:

Sunday was RIDICULOUS. My Sleeping Karma, Karma to Burn, Acid King, Uffomamut and Sleep.

:vince:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I Might have to pick between upcoming Bongzilla and Conan shows here in NYC. I haven't seen them before, is either one known for especially great live shows?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

I Might have to pick between upcoming Bongzilla and Conan shows here in NYC. I haven't seen them before, is either one known for especially great live shows?

Conan. Probably a much rarer appearance and they tune down to frequencies only blue whales can hear.

edit:

lol using a matamp + sunn model t + sound city 200: the holy triumvirate of doom amps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkr0PPymQfA

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'd rather see Bongzilla live but I loving hate Conan's live vocals so that severely hurts their draw to me

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

nomapple posted:

Holy poo poo that Friday lineup.

I am just recovering from Desertfest. I kind of regret doing another festival so close to Roadburn, because nothing was going to live up to it, but it was still fun. Noothgrush were really heavy and intense, and you could tell that their crushingly grim music was sincere. Black Cobra and Agrimonia were also excellent on the Friday.

Saturday I felt really rough, so the only band I properly enjoyed was Eyehategod. Third time seeing them this month and just as good as ever.

Sunday was RIDICULOUS. My Sleeping Karma, Karma to Burn, Acid King, Uffomamut and Sleep. All absolutely brilliant. Karma to Burn in particular blew me away because I wasn't that familiar with their stuff, but they were poo poo hot live. My Sleeping Karma were really great too, like a chiller version of K2B.

In terms of "festival experience" it wasn't the best. None of the venues had any phone signal, so meeting up with people was nigh on impossible, and it didn't have the same friendly atmosphere as Roadburn, so it wasn't as easy to pick up new pals along the way. Overall, I had fun, but I probably won't go back unless the lineup really grabs me. Roadburn, on the other hand, I've already made enquiries about hotels for next year. The best festival I've been to by miles.

I only had tickets for the last day and it was great fun watching security trying to hunt down smokers inside the venue. Also poor Ufomammut with all the technical issues at the beginning of their set, what a hell of a set through. First time ever seeing Sleep live as well...holy moly.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcVej7pSbbA

i sure hope to see them again before i die

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Holy poo poo, the new Bell Witch is the heaviest thing I've heard in ages. :stare:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah it's pretty great. That album and new Monolord coming out on the same day is almost too much.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yay, Conan is coming to Southern Appalachia. The dude who runs the Hideaway in Johnson City TN must really dig stoner/doom.

Darthemed posted:

Enjoying the new Headless Kross album quite a bit.

Volumes

Extensive sludge/doom riffing.

This keeps drawing me back. It's nothing flashy at first listen but it's really well paced. Good riffs indeed.

nonazis posted:

I feel like such a poser, listening to a genera called stoner, and such bands as weedeater and bongzilla, while not partaking in the devils lettuce myself.

Dude. Get out of the thread. :2bong:
....just kidding, don't feel bad feel glad that you have money instead of weed. Also you are never worried about not having weed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that sweet Dopethrone (the band, not the song), patch that's on Totem Cat? They're sold out and I've been looking for used ones and can't find them ANYWHERE.

Electric Wizard certainly isn't helping because everytime you google "Dopethrone" they come up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kvlt! posted:

Electric Wizard certainly isn't helping because everytime you google "Dopethrone" they come up.

If you add -"electric wizard" it's a lot easier, but I still don't see anyone else selling it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

If you add -"electric wizard" it's a lot easier, but I still don't see anyone else selling it.

I decided to go for a Sleep one instead. Thank you though!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Friends Are Evil posted:

Holy poo poo, the new Bell Witch is the heaviest thing I've heard in ages. :stare:

:stare: holy poo poo:

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/four-phantoms

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

This has been overtaking Monolord in my estimation over the last few days. Amazing depth and intensity from a 2 piece.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
I had a friend fall asleep during the Bell Witch set on 4/20.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
To think that I didn't see Bell Witch at Roadburn, and that day was still one of my favourite days of Roadburn ever. Oh well, hope they come back around soon.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
This is some pretty sludgy doom.

Also I just recently listened to Mare Infinitum's new EP and it's pretty amazing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yay, Conan is coming to Southern Appalachia. The dude who runs the Hideaway in Johnson City TN must really dig stoner/doom.

I can't find that listing online (I am sure I am just missing it). Do you have a date?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Cult of Occult are selling their first two albums at a name your price deal. Really filthy sludge/doom metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkXgpaXo7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LhKPo8yc64

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to the new Bell Witch yet, but their last album was pretty singularly incredible. Sad, gorgeous, and heavy as gently caress. I can't wait to hear where they've gone with this new one.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nate fisher posted:

I can't find that listing online (I am sure I am just missing it). Do you have a date?

Yes it's May 20th.
I don't think they have anything listed about it yet. I got the news from a facebook post:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yes it's May 20th.
I don't think they have anything listed about it yet. I got the news from a facebook post:

Thanks dude! Might try to make it from Knoxville, but middle of the week hurts my chances.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nate fisher posted:

Thanks dude! Might try to make it from Knoxville, but middle of the week hurts my chances.

Sure thing, speak up if you end up going and I'll give you an awkward high five from the internet. I may be making this trip by myself from Asheville.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Make sure you get there in time for Samothrace at least!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

Make sure you get there in time for Samothrace at least!

they're excellent live, yes. one of the highlights of roadburn 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the recommendation, I actually checked them out briefly when I saw them on the bill. They didn't really grab me at first...it kind of struck me as a bit blues guitar noodley because I landed here first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRWNgKyqobA
I see now that there's a little more to it after spending more time with it.

Mantar who is also playing seems pretty rad too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJC0dzD1bXE

edit: Re: Monolord Album:
I had always thought that this image was just an image associated with a preview track. I didn't realize it was going to be the album cover until the album released...and also I've just now realized it appears to be a painting. I thought it was a photograph. Does anyone know anything more about it? That's a dude in a transparent poncho walking into a lake right? It seems intentionally comical...because ponchos don't work like that. I feel like I'm missing something.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 1, 2015

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dyna Soar posted:

they're excellent live, yes. one of the highlights of roadburn 2014
Yeah really, I'd known of them for a long time but never gave them a shot, but that show blew me away. Not sure Mantar are like live but I enjoyed the album that someone threw onto the doom goon spotify playlist.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

edit: Re: Monolord Album:
I had always thought that this image was just an image associated with a preview track. I didn't realize it was going to be the album cover until the album released...and also I've just now realized it appears to be a painting. I thought it was a photograph. Does anyone know anything more about it? That's a dude in a transparent poncho walking into a lake right? It seems intentionally comical...because ponchos don't work like that. I feel like I'm missing something.

It's a painting by Julio Reyes. You can see more of his paintings on his website here:
http://www.julioreyes.com/375443/paintings

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Spinal Pap posted:

It's a painting by Julio Reyes. You can see more of his paintings on his website here:
http://www.julioreyes.com/375443/paintings

Thank you! Jesus Christ I could have done an image search but I figured I would just get a bunch of hits for the album cover.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
3rd track on the Bell Witch album is incredible.

The whole album is a heavenly slow burner though. So, so good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

it's a woman in linen drowning herself. p hosed up way to go. :sad:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
dude in a transparent ponco, hah

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
Ok, is the whole satanistic theme of some bands in these genres ironic, or are these people actually satanists?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nonazis posted:

Ok, is the whole satanistic theme of some bands in these genres ironic, or are these people actually satanists?

long tradition of satanic / occult imagery in popular music. guys like david bowie and jimmy page were pretty hardcore "satanists" (more like crowleyists / themelic, but eh all that poo poo gets lumped together). do what thou wilt goes pretty well with the rock n roll lifestyle.

nowadays it's mostly just bands repeating old cliches, i doubt most bands who use pentagrams or baphomets actually know their significance in the sense they were originally used in the occult.

jay-z, rihanna and lady gaga actually use a lot of occult and satanic imagery in their videos. it's much more subtle than most metal bands, which makes it more interesting imo. too bad i can't listen to their music at all.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 1, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Polegrinder posted:

Cult of Occult are selling their first two albums at a name your price deal. Really filthy sludge/doom metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkXgpaXo7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LhKPo8yc64

Thanks for the heads up on this. I checked out their first album and it's thoroughly my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

So Indian just posted on their Facebook page that they're going to be playing the Inter Arma/Yautja show in Chicago, but the venue website says nothing about them being on the bill. They also don't appear to be listed on the Psycho California lineup anymore, but I could just be looking right past their logo or something. I'm very confused.
Late, but I heard they'd broken up? They were replaced on the Psycho Fest bill by Bedemon (Pentagram offshoot).

Also, the only thing better than hearing this new Bell Witch everyone's been raving about is discovering that they're at Psycho Fest too :hellyeah: show is gonna own so hard, man.