Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
this is the best this thread has been in forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This obviously bothers you, because you took pictures and posted them in this thread. I don't think you would be doing that if you really thought it was nothing (When I find weird spots on the floor or stuff shifted around, I just assume it's because I live with children and forget about it immediately). If you don't want to shell out a thousand bucks a year for a security system (and I would be surprised if you can't do better than that these days with some DIY options) you can get those local alarms for doors/windows or just set up a couple wireless webcams to trigger on movement.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Edit for picture to prove I'm not making this poo poo up:

He was probably just oiling the chain

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So back in late December/early January I posted about my stuff getting moved around when I wasn't home but nothing was stolen and the doors and windows were locked. We opted not to get a security system because it was way too expensive ($600 install plus $80/month NOPE) and all the neighbors assured us it was a super safe neighborhood and crime maps reflected that fact so I jokingly chalked it up to ghosts. Nothing has happened since then.

Today we cleaned our floors so we know they were all clean wall to wall. It was a nice day so we went outside with the dogs to cook dinner and were sitting outside for two hours grilling and eating. After dinner I down to the basement to start a load of laundry and find dried blood on the floor. I'm not bleeding, my husband's not bleeding, the dogs aren't bleeding (not to mention they're giant weenies and refuse to go in the basement) and were outside with us the whole time. There's no trail and the ceiling is clean.

Does anyone have a logical explanation for this?

Do your pets have fleas or recently had fleas? Flea poop runs red when exposed to water.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My guess is meat blood drippings from a discarded package. Especially since you said you had been grilling

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Turkey Farts posted:

He was probably just oiling the chain
Response of the year. A+++++++++ Would read again.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We haven't, actually. But all of our neighbors are retirees with nothing better to do than look out their windows (we get swarmed by them checking in on us every time we go outside) so we'd know immediately if someone was snooping around. And like I said nothing has happened in the past 5 months so we let our guard down.
Could be one of the retirees snooping around. Creepiness has no age limiter.

Or it could be meat drippings, but that's the boring answer. :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It probably wasn't meat drippings from a bag of lint in the basement laundry room that they only go in for laundry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe they were rinsing the meat with a quick spin cycle?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The technical term is sous vide.

(Completely missed that it was in a laundry room. :downs)

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

We're all focused on the chainsaw oil here, which is not an isolated incident. Let's not forget the other events which were a lot less subtle.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Side Effects posted:

Do your pets have fleas or recently had fleas? Flea poop runs red when exposed to water.

Does it? The dogs are on flea prevention but it might be worth looking into. We give the dogs baths down there and they just got re-dosed with their flea meds so there is a decent chance of wet fleas about.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That doesn't fit with any of the points you said earlier:
- you had just cleaned the floors, so no puddles or fleas
- the dogs won't go in the basement, so no fleas hang out down there
- the dogs were outside the whole time, so they didn't just bring fleas down there
- also, the dogs have been on flea meds, so no fleas

Up next, "okay but what if before we moved in, a kid hid a little bottle of red food coloring, and for the last five years it's been slowly seeping up through the floorboards, sounds legit to me case closed let's not even bother looking into it I'm sure it's fine"

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
They were at the house the whole time, they never left, and no one else entered (because they were there to keep an eye on it). This removes the possibilities to "there is someone else living in your house" which seems remote, or "it's haunted" which seems vague. The last mystery cases happened when they were gone, which at least gives the possibility that someone else has keys or someone broke in.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Giraffe, is there a chance that you are actually dead and haunting the house, and the weird stuff happening is the real live occupants trying to correct your poltergeist actions?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Does it? The dogs are on flea prevention but it might be worth looking into. We give the dogs baths down there and they just got re-dosed with their flea meds so there is a decent chance of wet fleas about.

Yeah, flea dirt is 90% blood so when it gets wet the dried blood partially re-liquifies. My aunt would get red spots on her laundry room floor all the time from all of the fleas her dogs kept picking up. I'm not going to say that fleas are definitely the answer to your situation, but it's something to look out for.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Got a CO detector? There was some guy on Reddit who thought his landlord was sneaking in and leaving him cryptic sticky notes, but it turned out that there was a CO leak and he was essentially sleepwalking.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Giraffe, is there a chance that you are actually dead and haunting the house, and the weird stuff happening is the real live occupants trying to correct your poltergeist actions?

I loved that movie too.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ashcans posted:

:ghost:

If anything is amiss, even the tiniest thing, when I get back later this week I'll call the cops but until then there's nothing I can do but speculate since I'm several time zones away at the moment.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Not to distract from this, but I need to know if my annoyance is at the level to contact the landlord.

My neighbor distributes some sort of boutique dog food. Try receive shipments once every two months or so and store about 12 5' tall boxes of the food (they probably weigh like 60 lbs apiece) in the basement laundry area and it gradually disappears. This really annoys me for a couple of reasons:

1) the boxes are in front of our storage lockers, where I keep my bike, that I would like to use and put back probably once a week or so without having to go upstairs and ask them to move their dog food.
2) this is the city and we can have rat problems. They are putting a massive amount of rat attractant down and leaving it.
3) it's a public space that is being used for their monetary gain. I don't hold business meetings in the hallway.

I assume the landlord has seen this and it's still happening, but he's waiting for someone to complain about it. Or maybe I'm overreacting.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I think point 1 is a reasonable complaint though I would probably talk to the person first if there's somewhere else they can move it. Points 2 and 3 seem like potential issue from a landlord perspective, but if it's not affecting you then not really your business.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just got home. Everything is exactly as I left it. Had some water in the basement but that's because the drain hose for the AC unit slipped away from the floor drain (this is not a new or unusual thing, the plastic hose is a little bendy and moves around sometimes. I was warned about this by the landlord when I moved in).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Welp, that settles it. It's a ghost for sure.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Found an apartment after 4 months spent looking.
Went and saw it in person, liked it, needed to do a little bit more research on the complex so I didn't put down the deposit. Decided to go back and do the paperwork at lunch today.
Gone.

gently caress.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Went and saw it in person, liked it, needed to do a little bit more research on the complex so I didn't put down the deposit. Decided to go back and do the paperwork at lunch today.
Gone.

gently caress.

Welcome to apartment hunting, did it seriously take you 4 months to figure that poo poo out? :rolleyes:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Depends where you are I guess, when I lived in Georgia you could wait a week and most places would still be available. In Boston I carry a pre-filled standard application and my checkbook and put a deposit and application in on the spot on any place that passes basic requirements, because if you don't the next person will.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gonna be honest Aquatic Giraffe, while I worry for your safety and all, this ghost haunting of yours is sort of fascinating :v:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Eponine posted:

1) the boxes are in front of our storage lockers, where I keep my bike, that I would like to use and put back probably once a week or so without having to go upstairs and ask them to move their dog food.
My first move would be, every time the guy stacks a mountain of dog food in front of my storage locker, to go up and ask him to move it so you can access your locker, then put something in your locker the size of a pencil box. When he stacks the mountain in front of your locker again, repeat the process and retrieve the pencil box. He should get the idea pretty quick, or get tired of moving all his poo poo every day and find a new place to put it.

If that doesn't get the point across, call the landlord.

If you don't actually have rats, #2 is a moot point. And if it's not in your way, #3 isn't really your problem.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

photomikey posted:

My first move would be, every time the guy stacks a mountain of dog food in front of my storage locker, to go up and ask him to move it so you can access your locker, then put something in your locker the size of a pencil box. When he stacks the mountain in front of your locker again, repeat the process and retrieve the pencil box. He should get the idea pretty quick, or get tired of moving all his poo poo every day and find a new place to put it.

Actually you should probably start by just asking politely that they store it somewhere else instead of doing passive aggressive antics like that. It's a totally valid request to be able to access something you pay for in your rent without asking a neighbor for what boils down to permission. If they say no you get the landlord involved.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Mocking Bird posted:

Welcome to apartment hunting, did it seriously take you 4 months to figure that poo poo out? :rolleyes:
No. Just 4 months to find the perfect mix of location, size, and price.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ilkhan posted:

Gone.

gently caress.

Sounds about right. In certain high demand markets like LA or other big cities, vacancies can be filled within 24 hours.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Eponine posted:

Not to distract from this, but I need to know if my annoyance is at the level to contact the landlord.

My neighbor distributes some sort of boutique dog food. Try receive shipments once every two months or so and store about 12 5' tall boxes of the food (they probably weigh like 60 lbs apiece) in the basement laundry area and it gradually disappears. This really annoys me for a couple of reasons:

2) this is the city and we can have rat problems. They are putting a massive amount of rat attractant down and leaving it.
3) it's a public space that is being used for their monetary gain. I don't hold business meetings in the hallway.

I assume the landlord has seen this and it's still happening, but he's waiting for someone to complain about it. Or maybe I'm overreacting.

After the next shipment, take it all out to the dumpster the morning of trash pickup. You will only have to do this once, I bet.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I wouldn't assume the landlord has seen it, unless they live in the building they have no reason to go to the laundry room unless someone calls their attention to it.

It seems like you've already asked them to move it multiple times and they continue to leave it there which is a dick move. I would contact your landlord. If you start getting passive aggressive about it they'll know it's you and your landlord won't be happy to get into the middle of a tenant spat about dog food and you'll both end up on their bad side.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I would first ask them not to store it in front of your locker, don't assume they know how annoying they're being. More than likely they're just in their own little world and are dense or flippant about stuff like this ("it's no big deal, it only takes a few minutes to move") and have no idea you're unhappy.

If it continues, 100% mention it to the landlord. After they talk with them, bring it back up every time they do it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Will I get kicked out of the condo I'm renting if I use the garage as a workshop and keep/use a welder in there? The lease says no "hazardous materials", but I would argue it's just a tool and not inherently dangerous in that sense.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If nothing goes wrong, you're probably ok. If you accidentally burn down the complex, they will probably try and hold you liable.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The last two apartments I've had, neither had any sort of ventilation working/installed in the bathroom, resulting in damage to the paint on the ceiling from all the moisture from showering. Landlords didn't ask me to pay for it or anything, but it just kind of boggles my mind that they prefer to fix the damages rather than address the root cause. The current one, in particular, had been remodeling the place with intent to eventually sell it, but hasn't touched it since we moved in.

Unrelated, but I need a dummies guide to home decorating. I have enough sense to recognize that my bedroom is rather bare, but fixing it is beyond me. I've got a few canvas prints, a nice wooden bedframe with matching night table, but it's lacking some unified whole. It is, at least, better than my roommate's bedroom, which is basically no more than a plain bed and a dresser.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Look at lots of pictures to figure out what style you like and take it slow. Find pictures of rooms you like and save them on your computer and reference them frequently and try to recreate them with similar items. Apartment Therapy has a pretty wide range of styles and doesn't seem to be only catering to millionaires. My apartment sat bare for years because it took me a while to figure out what style I like, what fits my budget, and what works within the limitations of renting.

Edit: Here's a guide for recreating a particular style, http://www.primermagazine.com/2016/spend/the-intentional-apartment-get-this-look-nailing-luxe-home-looks-for-less

You don't have to use that photograph but it's a good example of what to do.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 12, 2016

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

If you can stand filtering out all the twee bullshit Pinterest can be useful for decorating ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
if you're in an apartment with tan carpet, tan walls, and a white ceiling, I find painting something a color, really any color, helps immensely. I've seen apartments I like with tan walls, but it takes a lot of effort and a ton of stuff.

For me, finding throw pillows that go with your couch, then picking an element from the throw pillows and painting one or two walls that color goes a long way. In the bedroom, use the bedspread and add a couple pillows to your bed. Paint is $25/gallon and if you're only painting one or two walls, you will only use a gallon. It doesn't take but an hour or two. Remember to budget time and money for the re-paint back to tan at the end.