Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

You're just trying to justify your own nonchalance and laziness. Move your drat car, someone else wants to charge.

I don’t have a horse in this race, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

Oh, is that why you were worried about not knowing when charging would be done? I made an assumption.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if it's priced high enough to not backfire. Replacing social pressure with fees doesn't always work well, especially if the people in question have a lot of disposable income. Childcare places see this, when they institute late pickup fees: people feel that since they're now paying for it, it's ok to be late. It stopped being an imposition on another human, and started being a $1/minute economic transaction.

This is a good point. It goes from a penalty to selling a premium parking service. Perhaps a better penalty, perhaps for repeat offenders, would be disabling charging.

Platystemon posted:

Well then move your horse! :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Implement the charging hentai tentacle they showed a couple of years ago, then have the cars automatically disconnect and find a nearby parking spot when fully charged. :science:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I’m not opposed to a disincentive to hogging charger space. I am opposed to such a stiff one.

You're talking about a $100k car. If the fee isn't a stiff one the "rich rear end in a top hat" demographic that has a Tesla as one of their cheap every day cars won't hesitate to inconvenience everyone around them that also wants to share a limited resource.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Needs a half hour grace period. It should be hitting people who leave the cars there overnight or during an 8 hour shift. 5 minute grace period is way too short to go do just about anything while charging.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Needs a half hour grace period. It should be hitting people who leave the cars there overnight or during an 8 hour shift. 5 minute grace period is way too short to go do just about anything while charging.

That's easy to say if you aren't the one who has been waiting an hour for a charging spot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Meanwhile, at Tesla HQ...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

True.

Lets see how long until the snake chargers get installed at supercharging stations, and they can easily move APv2 cars to parking spots when done charging automagically. Nice thing about having the hardware in all vehicles moving forward, they can take advantage of the abilities even if the customer didn't pay for them.

We know the snake chargers are coming, its in the wording for the v2 description. Lets see it happen.

Ola posted:

Meanwhile, at Tesla HQ...

lol. *sigh* Elon elon elon....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

I’m not opposed to a disincentive to hogging charger space. I am opposed to such a stiff one.

It’s like telecommunications. A given bundle of copper has a finite bandwidth, and we all need to share it.

Do you remember long distance phone rates?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It's 40 cents a minute and to have the "problem" at all you need to own a $120,000 car. Grow the gently caress up.

I assume you also park your car at the gas pump and then walk down the street to do your errands?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I assume you also park your car at the gas pump and then walk down the street to do your errands?
Wasn't that the point of advertising superchargers as being at/nearby shopping centers, malls, and dining places? That you aren't taking any extra time for your trip because you stop there anyway?

Stopping for lunch and charging mid-trip is exactly what superchargers should be for. Also gas pumps take 5 minutes. In and out. Even with superchargers it takes 4-5 times as long to top up.

As batteries get bigger, people get more used to home charging, and with snake/APv2 this will be a non-issue. Until then a 5 minute grace period is pretty short.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Wasn't that the point of advertising superchargers as being at/nearby shopping centers, malls, and dining places? That you aren't taking any extra time for your trip because you stop there anyway?

Stopping for lunch and charging mid-trip is exactly what superchargers should be for. Also gas pumps take 5 minutes. In and out. Even with superchargers it takes 4-5 times as long to top up.

He did clarify that they will only be doing this if most of the stalls are full. If you end up stopping at a place that is empty/nearly empty then you can take your time. This is simply to curb idiots from leaving their cars at superchargers for long periods of time when there is high demand and people waiting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

According to Tesla's website, it applies even if there are other spaces open.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol, okay, I guess they backtracked on that really fast

That somehow seems worse though. Now it's like uber surge pricing or something, where you never know if you're going to be charged extra or not until the moment. Will it change while your car is charging? What if the spaces are empty and there's no fee when you plug in, so you go and watch a movie, and then halfway through you get a text saying "the spaces are now full, unplug your car in 5 minutes or we will start fining you?"

can't wait for the model three to hit the roads because I'm sure this problem will be solved by then and we won't have any videos of angry entitled electric car owners raging at each other at the charge station at all

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can't please everyone can you. What would your solution be to limiting free super charger usage?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

That somehow seems worse though. Now it's like uber surge pricing or something, where you never know if you're going to be charged extra or not until the moment. Will it change while your car is charging? What if the spaces are empty and there's no fee when you plug in, so you go and watch a movie, and then halfway through you get a text saying "the spaces are now full, unplug your car in 5 minutes or we will start fining you?"
That's a pretty bad example; Uber tells you exactly how much your trip will cost before you choose to start it, even if surge pricing is in effect. Tesla is telling drivers exactly how much it will cost them if they leave their car on a charger after it's done charging. The information is there in black and white, it's on the user to decide how to act on it.

The fine is a disincentive (ie. negative reinforcement) designed to set the standard on how drivers should be using this new shared resource, ie. being mindful and proactive so as to never take a space up for longer then necessary. All the tools already exist to enable this behavior, the fine just forces drviers to start paying attention, get in the habit and eventually set the new social standard. Think of it like parking in a paid street spot that's limited to 1 hour; when you park, you check your watch to make sure you're back in time to not get a ticket, right? Everyone with a drivers license already has the skills necessary to use the system as Tesla designed it.

ilkhan posted:

The app already sends an alert when charging is at 80% (and another when it's done). That's your grace period, and it's well more then 5 minutes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shadowgate posted:

You can't please everyone can you. What would your solution be to limiting free super charger usage?

Go with their original plan, and start charging everyone per minute that they leave the car connected with a full charge, regardless of how many bays are open. You don't get to park in a loading zone just because "oh there are still a lot of spaces open down the street." Move your drat car for now, and maybe in 5 or 10 years Tesla can actually get their driverless system working well enough to automatically pull out of the station and find a new spot. Charging the fee "only sometimes, maybe, if there are a lot of people plugged in, but we don't really want to inconvenience you, please don't be mad at us" is just spineless backtracking.

bizwank posted:

That's a pretty bad example; Uber tells you exactly how much your trip will cost before you choose to start it, even if surge pricing is in effect. Tesla is telling drivers exactly how much it will cost them if they leave their car on a charger after it's done charging. The information is there in black and white, it's on the user to decide how to act on it.

The fine is a disincentive (ie. negative reinforcement) designed to set the standard on how drivers should be using this new shared resource, ie. being mindful and proactive so as to never take a space up for longer then necessary. All the tools already exist to enable this behavior, the fine just forces drviers to start paying attention, get in the habit and eventually set the new social standard. Think of it like parking in a paid street spot that's limited to 1 hour; when you park, you check your watch to make sure you're back in time to not get a ticket, right? Everyone with a drivers license already has the skills necessary to use the system as Tesla designed it.

No, I'm on your side. I was saying that the "only charge the fee when the stations are occupied" thing is stupid. It's intermittent enforcement of something that should just be black and white. You don't park at a gas pump or in a handicapped zone regardless of whether you're directly inconveniencing someone at that moment or not. I completely agree that coming back to check on your car and move it on time is a normal part of owning a car, and the people mad at this are entitled wealthy dickholes who don't think that they should have to monitor their use of a shared resource.

I once saw this very attitude in action at a parking garage here in SF. There were some electric car spots, all occupied, beside the regular parking spaces. Guy in a Tesla drives up and parks in the spot beside the last charging station, where a Leaf was plugged in. Looks around, walks over and unplugs the Leaf and hauls the cable over to his own car. The perfect crime.

Anyway in other news "electric car company" Faraday Future is vaporware, surprising no one

http://jalopnik.com/inside-sources-say-faraday-future-is-a-bigger-catastrop-1789990283

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 17, 2016

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Go with their original plan, and start charging everyone per minute that they leave the car connected with a full charge, regardless of how many bays are open. You don't get to park in a loading zone just because "oh there are still a lot of spaces open down the street." Move your drat car for now, and maybe in 5 or 10 years Tesla can actually get their driverless system working well enough to automatically pull out of the station and find a new spot. Charging the fee "only sometimes, maybe, if there are a lot of people plugged in, but we don't really want to inconvenience you, please don't be mad at us" is just spineless backtracking.

I'm guessing they can't charge existing Model S owners who bought their car based on promised free super charging. The Model 3 will have a charge for supercharger usage so hopefully that will cut down on parking abuse. I don't think that change was backtracking, most owners seem to be on board with this change.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Sure they can charge preexisting owners. As I understand it, you have unlimited free supercharging, after charging is complete you're not charging anymore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's correct, it's a fee for the time you're occupying the spot but not charging. I think it's for all cars. Tesla's website says that you will be charged for the fees the next time you take the car in for service.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 17, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that's correct, it's a fee for the time you're occupying the spot but not charging. I think it's for all cars. Tesla's website says that you will be charged for the fees the next time you take the car in for service.

Then just take your car in for service somewhere else. Then they'll just blacklist the vin, void the warranty and you'll never be allowed to buy parts for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Where else services Teslas?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

Then just take your car in for service somewhere else. Then they'll just blacklist the vin, void the warranty and you'll never be allowed to buy parts for it.

Then you just raid Tesla's open patents and cast, machine and prep your own parts in your backyard. You can rewire a drive unit in just four quick months. All this cost and effort will be well worth not having to spend a whole minute moving your car after it has done charging, which would take away from those extra 45 minutes you want to spend in McDonald's enjoying the atmosphere and the après-dinner confections.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also, 40 cents a minute is $24 an hour. that's not much more than parking in downtown calgary, and those lots only sell you blocks of an hour. Might as well park your gas cars there for the cheap parking.

Just send me the bill, elon.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Powershift posted:

Also, 40 cents a minute is $24 an hour. that's not much more than parking in downtown calgary, and those lots only sell you blocks of an hour. Might as well park your gas cars there for the cheap parking.

Just send me the bill, elon.

No worries. He'll make sure you're charged next time you take it into a Tesla dealership for service.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Nobody thinks gas pumps are parking spots, so I guess this needs to be hammered in.

haha in what utopia do you live where people aren't assholes that leave their cars parked at the pump while they do their grocery shopping at the attached convenience store?

I've literally seen people leave their car at the pump for 30+ mins at very busy gas station to sit down and eat a sandwich inside the building.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

haha in what utopia do you live where people aren't assholes that leave their cars parked at the pump while they do their grocery shopping at the attached convenience store?

I've literally seen people leave their car at the pump for 30+ mins at very busy gas station to sit down and eat a sandwich inside the building.

I live in Australia which is pretty much the cuntiest place on earth and I've never seen that behavior.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Beffer posted:

I live in Australia which is pretty much the cuntiest place on earth and I've never seen that behavior.

Welcome to the Midwest United States! Full of unhappy people determined to "get theirs".

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Doesn't Tesla have an app that could potentially warn you with a push notification 10 minutes before the car is fully charged? I don't really see the problem with the fee.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

If everywhere else seems like utopia, you might just be living in hell.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

military cervix posted:

Doesn't Tesla have an app that could potentially warn you with a push notification 10 minutes before the car is fully charged? I don't really see the problem with the fee.

As someone said mentioned above they do that already. Complaining about this fee is ridiculous.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

If everywhere else seems like utopia, you might just be living in hell.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-cuyahoga/cleveland-clinic-warns-of-bump-and-carjack-scam

You ain't kidding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

military cervix posted:

It also gives you a countdown, so you can tell if you have 2 hours or 30 mins. I always move my car as soon as it's done, and it has not disrupted my life. You don't need to charge to the brim either, and the trip planner recommends that you don't.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't the point of supercharger location to be near places that provide free parking anyway? To get you to spend your high disposable income on high margin items? Sounds like the parking design is flawed, make each charger surrounded with four spots and have the plug unlock when fully charged. Problem solved. This is the way the Nissan charger near me was with level two chargers enough for the other three spots when the chademo was in use.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are gas stations an attraction because they have parking spaces?

No, of course not. The lure on charging stations is that you're a captive audience for 20 minutes, which encourages you to stretch your legs and spend a few bucks on things you need after driving 300 miles. Not because they are great places to park and watch the game.

Anyone complaining about this change is a prick.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I think the fee is a bit too high and I think the grace period should be longer, but I also don't own a Tesla (or an EV of any kind other than my hybrid Prius and my preorder for an Arcimoto). In my mind it should be long enough to get the check from the waiter (at the hypothetical restaurant where the Supercharger is located) and pay it and get outside, which is more than 5 minutes. But a fee of some type to punish those who don't move their cars at a busy location makes sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fordan posted:

my preorder for an Arcimoto

i looked this up

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fordan posted:

I think the fee is a bit too high and I think the grace period should be longer, but I also don't own a Tesla (or an EV of any kind other than my hybrid Prius and my preorder for an Arcimoto). In my mind it should be long enough to get the check from the waiter (at the hypothetical restaurant where the Supercharger is located) and pay it and get outside, which is more than 5 minutes. But a fee of some type to punish those who don't move their cars at a busy location makes sense.

You can check remaining time whenever you want on the app, which will also alert you ~10 mins before charging is complete.

• Locked thread