Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My parents just bought a condo in Stuart Florida, that's pretty close, right?

If you do any really cool dives in the area, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My favorite dive sites in the West Palm area are the Juno Ledge, or anything in shark or Goliath grouper season.

Blue Heron bridge is incredible but the visibility is awful right now.

We almost always dive with Pura Vida or walkers. I’m sure there are other places that may or may not be better but we have formed relationships with the people on those boats and won’t likely change.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seconding Blue Heron Bridge. Last I saw, some of the local shops run various organized trips there if you're wanting to meet other local divers. Sad to hear about the vis, but I think that's par the course for a brackish zone like that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hurricane and the state dumping the lake have the visibility low. Off shore isn’t the best but it’s better than the visibility at home, so off we go.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Heading cave diving this weekend...can't wait!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

lord1234 posted:

Heading cave diving this weekend...can't wait!

Scary and exciting, I would like to see how far i could make it before chickening out.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Scary and exciting, I would like to see how far i could make it before chickening out.

Take training. You'll get more comfortable. Caves are the most beautiful places I have seen underwater. In Mexico, I dove a room called "The Room of Tears". I actually cried upon seeing it, it was that beautiful.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, new safety rule: when storing scuba tanks in our vehicles, we will place them sideways to the forward motion of the vehicle, not in line with it. In particular, don't be tempted to lay them in the grooves in your pick up truck bed.

Got into an accident on the way back from a dive on Saturday. I was in a work pickup truck, and we rear ended a smallish minivan. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but the tanks in the bed turned into missiles. Thankfully, none of them pierced the bed, but they smashed up a lot of scuba gear. For local shore diving, most of us keep our gear in a plastic tub, to keep water and sand contained. Here is my buddy's gear tub:

It's extra dangerous with the heavy steel tanks we favor here in New England. That's an old steel 95, it's extra heavy.

Also, on the previous weekend, someone else in the dive club was rear ended while driving his RAV4 back from a dive. His tanks got pushed right through in the back seat, so it's lucky that no one was sitting back there. No pics of that one, though.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I drive a car, but if I have single tanks they ride on the floor in the back seat. I can carry at least 4 tanks this way. I haven't found a great way to stash doubles though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

We almost always dive with Pura Vida or walkers. I’m sure there are other places that may or may not be better but we have formed relationships with the people on those boats and won’t likely change.

Hmmm, that's an hour drive... I'll be up near Jensen beach. (my geographical knowledge of Florida is basically none).

These guys are the closest shop, but it doesn't look like they have a boat:
http://www.kirksjensenbeach.com/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The best way to carry scuba tanks in a truck bed is to stand them upright and strap them in tightly, as such:

If you don't have anything to strap them to lay them down at the front of the bed, bottom side towards the cab.

Either way you load them drive as if you were carrying bombs, because you are.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I drive a car, but if I have single tanks they ride on the floor in the back seat. I can carry at least 4 tanks this way. I haven't found a great way to stash doubles though.

Wouldn’t this mean you have a scuba tank flying around inside the cabin if you rolled your car? I mean, let’s hope this never happens but it’s something to consider.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

Either way you load them drive as if you were carrying bombs rockets, because you are.

Otherwise accurate.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I remember seeing someone go through the math of it, and calculating that an AL80 pressurized to 3000psi had the same potential energy as a few hand grenades. Always respect your tanks like they're explosive, kids! (because they are, in a very limited set of contexts)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I remember seeing someone go through the math of it, and calculating that an AL80 pressurized to 3000psi had the same potential energy as a few hand grenades. Always respect your tanks like they're explosive, kids! (because they are, in a very limited set of contexts)

Yeah, I saw a documentary once about how you can use them to blow up enormous Great White Sharks!

Just get them to swallow the tanks first, and then shoot them with a rifle.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Wouldn’t this mean you have a scuba tank flying around inside the cabin if you rolled your car? I mean, let’s hope this never happens but it’s something to consider.

Yes it does, but I think the likelihood of that happening is far lower than them getting loose and banging around in the trunk in the event of a collision.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Just finished a liveaboard 3 days / nights at simian islands, Khao Lak Thailand with my wife. It was a great experience but I am not sure that the diving lived up to the hype. Will go to Richelieu rock on Saturday and dive there for the day and it is supposed to be superb. The reefs and fishes has been great but no omfg moments ( except on my first night dive and realized that we were stalked by lionfish). No manta rays or whale sharks.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
From what I hear, the Similans are getting a bit crowded. Don't know how well the reefs have held up. I had a great time, but that was years ago.

The new "best place to go" is Raja Ampat, Indonesia, I'm told.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Has anyone dove the Flores area of Indonesia? I grabbed a last minute spot on a trip there (because it was cheap!) but I don't know anything about the area.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Get a flight to Labuan Bajo, on the west coast. That right there is Komodo National Park. If you like mantas, you will be delighted. The reefs are pretty great too. I recommend Tatawa Besar dive sight for a nice sloping reef with a fast current. Great drift dive. Siaba Besar has a sandy bottom at 14 meters in which you can find flamboyant cuttlefish, as well as mimic octopuses. Mabul Island has mantas, but the north side of the island has a recovering reef which is awesome. It looks like an underwater fish city. Makassar Reef (Manta Point) has all the mantas you could ever care to see.

Some of the operators there do an a la carte liveaboard; you can decide how long you want to stay on and when you arrive / depart. You essentially anchor and live in the park. I recommend Blue Marlin's liveaboard. Wicked Diving has a slow leisure boat for their day trips (Blue Marlin's are faster but much less comfortable imo).

I'm more than happy to give you tons of info on Labuan Bajo and Komodo if you decide to make your way there.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Today on the second dive to 60sh feet i experienced the joy of a reverse blockage in a new crown. I suggest you skip the experience unless you have a high to scream or cry underwater. I a little depth adjustments got me to where I could think and I managed another 30 minutes of diving before calling it for the day. Hopefully I have better luck tomorrow

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm having a crown made in a couple of weeks and that it will trap air under water is my biggest fear about it. :ohdear:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm having a crown made in a couple of weeks and that it will trap air under water is my biggest fear about it. :ohdear:

If it happens again i might stab my dentist in the leg with an ice pick when he asks me what it felt like.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Nice neighborhood, we have been coming here for 20 years but stupidly only diving for a few.

Eat at the food shack...

I have, my temp place is close to it. Our house is gonna be Tequesta

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

My parents just bought a condo in Stuart Florida, that's pretty close, right?

If you do any really cool dives in the area, let me know.

Yeah, like 40 minutes north

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

My favorite dive sites in the West Palm area are the Juno Ledge, or anything in shark or Goliath grouper season.

Blue Heron bridge is incredible but the visibility is awful right now.

I’ve heard from work friends about the blue heron bridge and will be doing it soon

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

let it mellow posted:

I have, my temp place is close to it. Our house is gonna be Tequesta

Havanas is excellent for Cuban food, we are not sure where work has us moving next but we hope its here or back to Colorado.

No more diving until i get my tooth fixed, i guess I get to have the crown redone, so we are volunteering for beach clean up at the state park. Looks like we will be back in December or February.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Apparently the Bahamas are fine now with hurricane recovery, so I booked a Christmas set of dives for the beginning of the great hammerhead migration. I'm looking forward to it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Darko posted:

Apparently the Bahamas are fine now with hurricane recovery, so I booked a Christmas set of dives for the beginning of the great hammerhead migration. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm heading there for a Blackbeard cruise in mid Dec (leaving here on the 15th), I'll try and get some pics up before you leave :)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We just closed on the Jupiter house and are in mover box hell, but if hammerheads are gonna be here, I’m going

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Well, I'm hooked. Went down to Roatan to do my open water, then as soon as I finished that I jumped immediately into the advanced. I would recommend Coconut Tree Divers, they were fantastic.

One thing that really surprised me is how exhausting diving is. I was in by by 9-10 almost every night after struggling to stay up that late.

Next stop is Costa Rica in January, so if anyone knows a good dive shop or good dives on the pacific side up by Liberia, I am all ears. And I'm thinking I should probably pick up a computer sometime soon. Any recommendations? I'm thinking a model a step or two up from the base models is probably a good idea.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
It's possible to stay up late after doing two dives. Doing three will get you to 10. Do four and you'll be out by 8.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The trick is to get out of the water after your last dive of the day, shotgun two beers, and take a nap.

Best sleep of your life. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If possible I'll take a nap between dives.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I shouldn’t be surprised but PADI just told me it would cost $58 AUD to replace my card that got stolen in my wallet the other week. That’s about $26 NZD more than it cost me to replace my drivers license which is an official document.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

I shouldn’t be surprised but PADI just told me it would cost $58 AUD to replace my card that got stolen in my wallet the other week. That’s about $26 NZD more than it cost me to replace my drivers license which is an official document.

Put Another Dollar In

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It costs like $30 for each digital version of a card in the app. PADI is hilarious.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I took a screenshot of the PADI mobile app with my cert ID, when I was using the 30-days free version. I've never had a dive shop refuse me with just that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah I have a photo of my card somewhere which I think I’ll just use. It’s loving ridiculous the amount they charge. There is literally no incentive to use the app version either as you have to pay each time and probably whenever the platform gets updated etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pay And DIve

I think it’s hilarious that Padi has a separate course and certification for recreational nitrox diving. It's literally five minutes of explaining what partial pressure is and how to calculate your maximum depth, then showing how to use an oxygen analyser. All dragged out to about two hours.

Which should really be part of the basic course, since it's all safety related and you should always analyze your gas even if you're diving air.