Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i used to expo when i was 16 in a lovely local restaurant. its what really got me into cooking :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I loved expoing. It was like playing a hilarious time management video game.

See, I always thought diner dash was a bad influence because it rewarded making the customers wait and it hosed the kitchen (take all the orders at once, serve all the tables at once, clear all the dishes at once).

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

(take all the orders at once, serve all the tables at once, clear all the dishes at once).
It's actually kind of sad how many industries this attitude is prevalent in when it really shouldn't be, and how many people actually legitimately think that in a product -> service environment this is a good way to behave. I've seen this kind of attitude completely gently caress up manufacturing floors, returns procedures, payment processing, pretty much anywhere you can find over 10 cubicles and phones. There's basically an entire movement in software development right now dedicated to Not Doing This and it still hasn't caught completely on yet.

It's easier for the employee who doesn't have the mental capacity to juggle tasks or the judgement to prioritize them. It fucks everybody else.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Turkeybone posted:

See, I always thought diner dash was a bad influence because it rewarded making the customers wait and it hosed the kitchen (take all the orders at once, serve all the tables at once, clear all the dishes at once).

I worked at a M&S a long, long time ago and they tended to do this. Officially, the rule was to rotate seating sections and for servers to never ever ever ring in more than one table's apps/entress/desserts at once. In practice, most servers got seated up to six tables back to back and would ring in half to all of them at once. I don't know if this is standard practice, but pantry took care of all the cold stuff from apps to desserts, as well as hot desserts/amuse/ahi/sushi/sashimi.

The end result was one cook (or a lucky pair on an extra busy weekend) trying to bang out desserts for half of the first seating wave while the salads/amuse/apps for the second wave were pouring in and the freshly-printed tickets piled up on the floor deeper than the tears. Our first exec's facebook job description was "Bang. Bang. Bang." and his successor's introductory speech centred on hitting metrics so he could get promoted to a coveted exec role at another store. "I can't wait to get out of this hole" was the jist of it, which did wonders for morale. This happened shortly after I left the company; his changes included making it a terminable offense to clock in more than 5 minutes before scheduled time and charging staff full price for fountain drinks, no free refills.

I think I had nightmares about oysters for a solid six months after I left that job.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Splizwarf posted:

I guess it's mostly weird because why not just buy one of those hanging tomato-cascade planters off the internet and hang it in the kitchen? Or just wing it with a little plastic bucket, wire or string, and some tomato seeds. For a restaurant, though, the commercial options sound loving awful. Sorry, Sweden goons. :(

Sounds like there's a boutique heirloom tomato business waiting to happen there, who wants to get rich?

He already posted that their growing season isn't long enough. Which can't be right, thinking about it, because the UK is as northerly as Sweden and Norway and you can grow tomatoes in England.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 7, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

drgitlin posted:

He already posted that their growing season isn't long enough. Which can't be right, thinking about it, because the UK is as northerly as Sweden and Norway and you can grow tomatoes in England.

The UK is a special case, as it's warmer than everything else at that latitude because of the Gulf Stream. An indoor hanging tomato planter will produce year-round, though, no matter what the local growing season is. Just needs exposure to a full-spectrum bulb for the right amount of time daily.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Advice needed: Got incredibly lovely service tonight. Complained and the GM told us to gently caress off, basically. Example - we were cut off after 2 rounds of drinks. I know the owners and am considering putting a call in, or just saying gently caress it and not tipping. I'm normally pretty tolerant of bad service but this was hard to take.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why the hell were u cut off after two drinks?

I'd prolly just leave a poo poo tip. Maybe they were having a really bad day or something happened outside of work?

I know your personal poo poo at the door while your working but who knows?

Don't cost them their job. But do what you gotta do brother.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Advice needed: Got incredibly lovely service tonight. Complained and the GM told us to gently caress off, basically. Example - we were cut off after 2 rounds of drinks. I know the owners and am considering putting a call in, or just saying gently caress it and not tipping. I'm normally pretty tolerant of bad service but this was hard to take.

Depending on how upscale the place is, I'd call the owners.

Getting cut off after 2 rounds is insane, and unacceptable.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Tip, of course, because management cut you off, not your server.

gently caress off and never come back, because they're assholes, but as far as complaining its your word vs. his, and I would never second guess another manager in that circumstance because it's his obligation and discretion to stop serving visibly intoxicated persons. But if you weren't being a problem, well, gently caress that guy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

Tip, of course, because management cut you off, not your server.

gently caress off and never come back, because they're assholes, but as far as complaining its your word vs. his, and I would never second guess another manager in that circumstance because it's his obligation and discretion to stop serving visibly intoxicated persons. But if you weren't being a problem, well, gently caress that guy.

Service was dogshit on its own. Normally I'm firmly in the "tip heavy" tree regardless but this was beyond the pale.

Edit: And the reason we went out is because one member of the group is moving out of town permanently. This wasn't just a random event, it upset her quite a bit (which, to be fair, she's easily perturbed)

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 7, 2015

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Depending on how upscale the place is, I'd call the owners.

Getting cut off after 2 rounds is insane, and unacceptable.

...unless you showed up having had a few rounds already

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

The Maestro posted:

I have cut people off before they ever get a drink from me for this reason. I haven't had to deal with it in forever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Maestro posted:

If that were the case I wouldn't be complaining

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I'd vote to make this entire caption (humans of NY, this looks like Columbus Circle so) the new thread title:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So in my military cafeteria, our dishroom has two window lines that the trays come down. One lines goes straight to the person rinsing, racking,and throwing in the washer; the other is manned by someone who dumps the food in the trash and brings it over to the other side when the cart of plates is full. Both sides have disposals and washers, but we only use one washer/disposal at a time. During my first few weeks of work, we used strictly one dishwasher/disposal line (the "left hand side"). Our EcoLab dude has just told us we really need to be alternating sides, so now every other day we use one line or the other for the "main line", so to speak. (Why we don't use BOTH sides of washers, I do not know. Lack of staff, I guess.)

While I like using the "right hand side" line for various reasons, the industrial disposal (it's a 6' x4' canister that will shred a glass in 30 seconds, as I learned the hard way yesterday :gonk:) on that side is INSANELY loud. Like, you know when you go to a rock show, and afterwards your ears ring and have that funny stuffed up feeling? I get that after 5 minutes of it being on.

I own a decibel meter, and will report back on how this poo poo compares to standing next to a jumbo jet, if anyone's curious. I'm just... concerned. I like this job, and am finally settling in, but I'm a musician when not a mild-mannered dishwasher, and this job is already loving with my hands. I really don't want to lose my hearing, too. :ohdear:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Get some ear protection dude. Your hearing can never be replaced. It's worth the money, and maybe you could make your employer pay for it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

As someone who recently started playing guitar(thanks Rocksmith!) I feel my kitchen hands have helped more than hurt. As for the ear damage, wear headphones or get some dampening plugs. But you definitely shouldn't be running your disposal for 5+ minutes.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure I'd be rocking headphones and music all shift if I worked dish.... Even though that pisses BOH off.

Just tap me on the shoulder if you need me bro. Or just have one headphone in.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

A Man and his dog posted:

Pretty sure I'd be rocking headphones and music all shift if I worked dish.... Even though that pisses BOH off.

Just tap me on the shoulder if you need me bro. Or just have one headphone in.

I'd say this is unbelievably stupid, but for you its par for the course.

The dude with the jet engine powered garbage disposal needs ear protection. For normal kitchens that's a quick way to suffer serious burns when you miss a "hot carry behind you" call.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Believe me, I've thought about ear protection. But the way we roll, I also need to hear my co-workers screaming "MEEEZ YAAAQUI!" ["Miss Jackie" (most of my co-workers and my immediate supervisor speak primarily Spanish)] when it comes to them wanting me to do something else on the line.

As for running the disposal for 5+ minutes: most of us dishgrunts run it, then shut it off, but some just let it roll. Also, they way our KP runs, it's: 90 minutes of serving, then we have exactly 90 --or less-- minutes to clean whatever area we're assigned to (dining room, serving line, dish room, etc). If you're doing dish room, one of your responsibilities is cleaning out said disposal, which involves opening up the giant canister, standing on a dishwasher rack (p sure that can't be OSHA approved), leaning in and picking out every piece of food left in there. I've gotten yelled at for a stray grain of rice, in a goddamn garbage disposal. That's why when I lifted the lid and saw the shattered cup in there yesterday, it was a total "awwww, gently caress" moment. They're plastic cups, but pickin' out tiny shards of clear plastic while teetering on a plastic rack that's threatening to slip out from under my feet on a wet dishroom floor is no fun.

Anyways, what everyone's told me is to run the disposal as long as you can when you start cleaning, so there's no food left in it to pick out. So when we start the cleaning portion of service, that bitch just goes on and on and on. I tried googlin' up a picture of the beast I'm working with for y'all, but no joy; tomorrow I'll make a note of the brand name, and maybe that'll help.

As I said, I don't mind the hard work and the rushes, but a lot of policy is laid out by the Army, and I'm wondering if I should defect to another dishpit job in the private sector, where they don't have such insane rules about field-stripping an industrial dishwasher to clean it, hand-cleaning the disposal, and drying every surface {just so some schmuck can splash water over it 3 minutes later :wtc:) every 3 hours and boy howdy you need that done in 90 minutes. If I don't clock out on the minute, or preferably 5 minutes til, I get yelled at. Is that... normal in regular restaurants?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just because people need jobs, I need a steward and an AM cook. Steward's gonna be 9+/hr, AM cook is 10+/hr. PM me if you're in the Austin area.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Just because people need jobs, I need a steward and an AM cook. Steward's gonna be 9+/hr, AM cook is 10+/hr. PM me if you're in the Austin area.

I'm gonna be in Austin on Monday/Tuesday next week, PM me your joint - I may already have dinner plans on Monday (if you're even open) but if it's close I'll drop by.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Believe me, I've thought about ear protection. But the way we roll, I also need to hear my co-workers screaming "MEEEZ YAAAQUI!" ["Miss Jackie" (most of my co-workers and my immediate supervisor speak primarily Spanish)] when it comes to them wanting me to do something else on the line.

As for running the disposal for 5+ minutes: most of us dishgrunts run it, then shut it off, but some just let it roll. Also, they way our KP runs, it's: 90 minutes of serving, then we have exactly 90 --or less-- minutes to clean whatever area we're assigned to (dining room, serving line, dish room, etc). If you're doing dish room, one of your responsibilities is cleaning out said disposal, which involves opening up the giant canister, standing on a dishwasher rack (p sure that can't be OSHA approved), leaning in and picking out every piece of food left in there. I've gotten yelled at for a stray grain of rice, in a goddamn garbage disposal. That's why when I lifted the lid and saw the shattered cup in there yesterday, it was a total "awwww, gently caress" moment. They're plastic cups, but pickin' out tiny shards of clear plastic while teetering on a plastic rack that's threatening to slip out from under my feet on a wet dishroom floor is no fun.

Anyways, what everyone's told me is to run the disposal as long as you can when you start cleaning, so there's no food left in it to pick out. So when we start the cleaning portion of service, that bitch just goes on and on and on. I tried googlin' up a picture of the beast I'm working with for y'all, but no joy; tomorrow I'll make a note of the brand name, and maybe that'll help.

As I said, I don't mind the hard work and the rushes, but a lot of policy is laid out by the Army, and I'm wondering if I should defect to another dishpit job in the private sector, where they don't have such insane rules about field-stripping an industrial dishwasher to clean it, hand-cleaning the disposal, and drying every surface {just so some schmuck can splash water over it 3 minutes later :wtc:) every 3 hours and boy howdy you need that done in 90 minutes. If I don't clock out on the minute, or preferably 5 minutes til, I get yelled at. Is that... normal in regular restaurants?

Do you get benifits? I cant remember if you do or not. If you get benifits and are making more than 10$ an hour that might be as good as it gets in the pit. If you want to actually work your way up, you may want to look to not work in a DFAC. There is little overlap between a DFAC and a civilian run and owned restaurant.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

So is there a lockout tagout setup for that or what? That's probably a lot more important to OSHA than what you're standing on to stick your face and hands into it.

Does OSHA even care about military stuff? I bet it's complicated.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

I don't work in the food industry, so I don't know if it's an workable solution, but how about some kind of active in-ear hearing protection, like these? They are expensive. That model seemes to go for 150-200 USD, but your hearing is probably worth that, if they are allowed in the kitchen?

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 10, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You have one set of ears and if they break that's loving it. You need to wear ear pro somehow, because I promise you will regret ruining your hearing for a lovely job. Because even the best dishpit job is a lovely job, and certainly not worth your hearing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

As someone who recently started playing guitar(thanks Rocksmith!) I feel my kitchen hands have helped more than hurt.

I can confirm this, I can't imagine what getting hot hands would have been like without having years of guitar/bass callouses already there. Plus if you're already used to making the claw chord structures are a breeze.

They're finally doing some interviews for new cooks this weekend.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm gonna be in Austin on Monday/Tuesday next week, PM me your joint - I may already have dinner plans on Monday (if you're even open) but if it's close I'll drop by.

It's Onion Creek in the Omni at Southpark off of I-35 and Ben White. I'm actually off Mon/Tues but if you end up swinging by I'll ask the other guy too hook you up with a charcuterie board or something.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's Onion Creek in the Omni at Southpark off of I-35 and Ben White. I'm actually off Mon/Tues but if you end up swinging by I'll ask the other guy too hook you up with a charcuterie board or something.

No need for a hookup, mostly was just gonna check out the food and say hi if you're around. Got a couple friends in Austin I don't see often so I'll suggest it to them for Monday night. Will let you know

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

Do you get benifits? I cant remember if you do or not. If you get benifits and are making more than 10$ an hour that might be as good as it gets in the pit. If you want to actually work your way up, you may want to look to not work in a DFAC. There is little overlap between a DFAC and a civilian run and owned restaurant.

I just cleared my 30 day probation period which makes me eligible for the union, which apparently includes killer health insurance (one co-worker mentioned getting $2000 of dental done, and insurance pays everything --- he doesn't even have a co-pay). And I'm making $12/hr. So yeah, it's drat sweet as far as any industry job goes.

I haven't had health insurance for 3 years now, and I've got an untreated heart condition, two broken molars, and some sadbrains problems. So believe me, I'm sticking with this at least until I can get a complete overhaul on my body on the govt's dime. That said, I'm also a 120 lb woman in her early 40's whose mom developed arthritis in her hands so bad that she had to give up her passion for knitting not far from this age. When I come home every day with my hands and wrists hurting so bad that I wince while using a can opener (no joke, this actually happened yesterday), the last thing I want to do is tickle the ivories. And now the potential hearing loss is freaking me out, too.

Yesterday I had to lift a 5 gallon (45 lbs) box of milk into the dispenser, which is about head height. I almost couldn't do it. I thought this job would make me stronger, like a previous job at a thrift store where I hauled CRT tv's and garbage bags full of donations for 8 hours a day, or my other job as a soundguy when I routinely hauled 70 lb stage monitors around... but I feel like this one's breaking me. Am I just too feeble now? :smith:

And to address your last point, Spoon: no, there's no working my way up in this DFAC. I could ask for a transfer to the cook side of things, but then the trade off would be better hours, better pay, and maybe less abuse to my body, but no benefits whatsoever.

poo poo I've been Debbie Downer for my last few posts. To try to lighten the mood... as clean-up crew that occasionally works in the salad bar area, I got one thing to say: gently caress you, bacon bits. You're the herpes of the industry, gettin' everywhere.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 10, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But bacon bits loving own.

Also somehow should have helped you lift that milk.

Don't die in this dishpit please.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

So is there a lockout tagout setup for that or what? That's probably a lot more important to OSHA than what you're standing on to stick your face and hands into it.

Does OSHA even care about military stuff? I bet it's complicated.

It's not, OSHA has free reign on military bases. as a government entity they pretty much get what they want from us.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

And now the potential hearing loss is freaking me out, too.

Get these.

Protects your hearing but you'll still be able to hear what's going on around you. Cheap, too. They'll be uncomfortable for a while until you get used to having them in your ears but it'll pass quickly.

Don't gently caress with your hearing.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

It's not, OSHA has free reign on military bases. as a government entity they pretty much get what they want from us.

That's pretty interesting to note. Does the same hold true for inspectors, ie., do we just get inspected by the Army or by [my county]'s inspectors as well? I ask bc I'm constantly getting hammered by my co-workers about one stray bacon bit (srsly, gently caress those things) being left behind after I clean an area, yet, no one seems to give a gently caress about the unlabeled cleansers. Every day I pick up a generic spray bottle, I have to sniff if the blue stuff inside is Windex or de-greaser. I seem to recall itt that that's a HUGE no-no on inspection, unlabeled cleansers.

That's the other ting wearing me on this job, the inconsistent training. My first day, I asked "What's the difference between these cleaners? Que color necesitamos por esto?" The gal training me shrugged and said "they all same". Then the next day I get called out by a sergeant bc the dining floor smells like rear end after I just mopped it, and it's bc I poured degreaser into the mop bucket, not the OTHER blue cleaning fluid. They were both in unlabeled bottles, and someone told me all this poo poo was the same...? I'm sorry? :confused:

On a similar note, we just had a staff meeting about maintaining our water temp logs. If you're on pots'n'pans, you're supposed to take the temp of the water every time you change it (with an oven thermo, lol, like we got time to wait for that needle to rise when we got pots flinging at us). No one actually takes the temp, they just fill the logs at the end of their shift. Our water is magically 140/140/170 for every shift :downs:

I'm just weary already of getting hammered for a stray bacon bit when it seems like all the old salts are getting away with fudging important poo poo like unlabeled cleansers and faked temp records. Is this common practice in private food places?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

That's pretty interesting to note. Does the same hold true for inspectors, ie., do we just get inspected by the Army or by [my county]'s inspectors as well? I ask bc I'm constantly getting hammered by my co-workers about one stray bacon bit (srsly, gently caress those things) being left behind after I clean an area, yet, no one seems to give a gently caress about the unlabeled cleansers. Every day I pick up a generic spray bottle, I have to sniff if the blue stuff inside is Windex or de-greaser. I seem to recall itt that that's a HUGE no-no on inspection, unlabeled cleansers.

That's the other ting wearing me on this job, the inconsistent training. My first day, I asked "What's the difference between these cleaners? Que color necesitamos por esto?" The gal training me shrugged and said "they all same". Then the next day I get called out by a sergeant bc the dining floor smells like rear end after I just mopped it, and it's bc I poured degreaser into the mop bucket, not the OTHER blue cleaning fluid. They were both in unlabeled bottles, and someone told me all this poo poo was the same...? I'm sorry? :confused:

On a similar note, we just had a staff meeting about maintaining our water temp logs. If you're on pots'n'pans, you're supposed to take the temp of the water every time you change it (with an oven thermo, lol, like we got time to wait for that needle to rise when we got pots flinging at us). No one actually takes the temp, they just fill the logs at the end of their shift. Our water is magically 140/140/170 for every shift :downs:

I'm just weary already of getting hammered for a stray bacon bit when it seems like all the old salts are getting away with fudging important poo poo like unlabeled cleansers and faked temp records. Is this common practice in private food places?

Haha. Yes it is.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

you ate my cat posted:

Get these.

Protects your hearing but you'll still be able to hear what's going on around you. Cheap, too. They'll be uncomfortable for a while until you get used to having them in your ears but it'll pass quickly.

Don't gently caress with your hearing.

I wear these to metal shows. They work well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Good ear protection doesn't make it hard to hear the things you need to hear, it just cuts out the poo poo that's going to kill your ears. People on assembly lines, construction sites, shooting ranges all wear them and in all those environments you need to be able to hear what other people are telling you. Get a pair of these. Or these. You will still be able to hear the people you work with.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

And it's not even expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Had a guest send back a guacamole burger last night because he didn't like avocado. I'm not sure I understand unless it was like the lamest attempt ever to get a comped meal.

• Locked thread