Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rear end posted:

My computer does not boot sometimes. If I wiggle my RAM cartridges in, wiggle my videocard in, wiggle the 24 pin PSU connector around it will boot eventually. Sometimes I can kick the case and it boots up. This is not a joke. Help me.

a pretty important old machine at work did this. had to wiggle ram in and out to get it to boot one last time before it was p2vd. good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

a pretty important old machine at work did this. had to wiggle ram in and out to get it to boot one last time before it was p2vd. good stuff

this very computer i'm posting from had to have a bit of a wiggle after a ram upgrade

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i live in a concrete / brick loft thing that is L shaped and it's not that big but I had to get a wifi extender. Still had to run cat6 along the pipes though for the PCs.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i live in a concrete / brick loft thing that is L shaped and it's not that big but I had to get a wifi extender. Still had to run cat6 along the pipes though for the PCs.

wifi extenders/repeaters are garbage

hardwire the second ap via ethernet/moca/powerline

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
I cant get my raspberry pi 2b to work with raspbian + kodi, only openelec. Openelec is more stable but otherwise useless - no ability to install stuff, use x, etc. What do I need to install on a b2 to make it actually stable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

wifi extenders/repeaters are garbage

hardwire the second ap via ethernet/moca/powerline

i got one and it is OK but it's capable of being wired and soon that will be the case and then will be an AP and that's
great

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i put in a unifi ap-ac-pro instead of the garbage tier time capsule i was using forever, and holy poo poo did all of my problems all go away at once

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The XKCD Larper posted:

I cant get my raspberry pi 2b to work with raspbian + kodi, only openelec. Openelec is more stable but otherwise useless - no ability to install stuff, use x, etc. What do I need to install on a b2 to make it actually stable

is it maybe just finicky with higher clock and too little vram? that doesnt explain the openelec thing unless it defaults to a lower clock than raspbian at stock

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Agile Vector posted:

is it maybe just finicky with higher clock and too little vram? that doesnt explain the openelec thing unless it defaults to a lower clock than raspbian at stock

I think Raspbian is configured by default to use 900mhz and not overclock to 1000. I think the vram is same on the 2B and 3 too. Clock speed is 30% higher on the 3 but what I'm seeing with Raspbian + Kodi on my 2B is constant lockups & very lovely performance otherwise.

I think I'm just going to buy some model 3s try again and relegatee the 2b to music via cmus only.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

RISCy Business posted:

i use whatever SLAAC /64 the ISP gives me as god intended

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

verizon is still ipv4 only for fios in tyool 2017 lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo nat-ing like its 2010 you poor suckers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i only fixed my comcast ipv6 like yesterday

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
all the raspberry pi systems got the same gpu because the rpi foundation didnt want to upgrade it for cost reasons, despite the fact it sucks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

why come this server says 1.3PB of memory? it only has 512GB in it

i found out what this is and it's a display bug

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows server lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

windows server lmao
this is the "problems with computers" thread not the "It Just Works" thread

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

RISCy Business posted:

i'm running l2tp vpn with radius on my unifi security gateway at home

vpn works just fine, but for some reason i can't touch the unifi controller from on the vpn, but i can touch everything else just fine- desktop, dns server, all that stuff

this kinda sucks because i'm running librenms on the same server and would like to have access to it if possible, instead of moving unifi controller to its own box (or vm on the same box)

thoughts?

try just putting a lovely web proxy in front of the unifi controller. I blame java

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

unless you have a 10,000+ square foot house you don't need a loving wifi controller in your god drat house

if you cant cover everything with one AP add a second and just backhaul it to your home router with moca/powerline networking/ethernet if youre lucky

a shameful post

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i just angrily argued with some nerd who thought you could use TOR without an exit node and connect directly to the node you wanted, despite that defeating the entire purpose, to sidestep a man in the middle attack.

i don't even loving computer at all or give a poo poo about tor how did i get here

i really hope i'm right about this
they're also convinced you can connect to TOR without an exit node and that's not how it works at all? like this is them sidestepping the old "The NSA owns half the exit nodes" joke

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 28, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SRQ posted:

i just angrily argued with some nerd who thought you could use TOR without an exit node and connect directly to the node you wanted, despite that defeating the entire purpose, to sidestep a man in the middle attack.

i don't even loving computer at all or give a poo poo about tor how did i get here

i really hope i'm right about this
they're also convinced you can connect to TOR without an exit node and that's not how it works at all? like this is them sidestepping the old "The NSA owns half the exit nodes" joke

hidden services like facebookcorewwwi.onion are their own exit nodes, and while you do need a route of other tor nodes to get there, none of them are exit nodes or have access to your plaintext (facebookcorewwwi.onion is https so who cares)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

a shameful post

nope

don't loving janitor poo poo at home

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

try just putting a lovely web proxy in front of the unifi controller. I blame java

right now i'm just using a socks proxy in firefox to proxy through my dns server which can touch unifi controller just fine

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

nope

janitor my balls

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

home janitoring is a time honored tradition, like being a small digital handyman with several code violating additions to your shanty

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

janitor my balls

txt me :wink:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nope

centralized wifi management is actually less work than multiple shitbox APs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
macbook pro sez "battery is not charging" even though it's plugged in. this had better just be a bad usb-c cable :mad:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

centralized wifi management is actually less work than multiple shitbox APs

no its not

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

RISCy Business posted:

right now i'm just using a socks proxy in firefox to proxy through my dns server which can touch unifi controller just fine

rename your dns server to "jump host". problem solved :downsa:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
it sucks but it works

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is there an easy way to get gnome-session working over x11 forwarding on ubuntu or is that a pipedream nowadays

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

graph posted:

is there an easy way to get gnome-session working over x11 forwarding on ubuntu or is that a pipedream nowadays

can you use xnest as a server to start gnome-session in?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

graph posted:

havent tried it lately but i assume it will be hell

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can you use xnest as a server to start gnome-session in?

xnest is deprecated, use xephyr

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ah jeez

will have a look on monday, thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so coz of the relationship breakdown i think i want the family computer and so i need to replace it with something that can play movies off the network, play minecragu and browse internet

mini apple?

intel NUC?

or basement bargain pc in a case?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

ok so coz of the relationship breakdown i think i want the family computer and so i need to replace it with something that can play movies off the network, play minecragu and browse internet

mini apple?

intel NUC?

or basement bargain pc in a case?

told u she was gonna leave your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum